Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Redcat Hurricane XTR Spur/Pinion Gears

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Hurricane XTR Spur/Pinion Gears

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 AM
merlinx76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat Hurricane XTR Spur/Pinion Gears

I have a Redcat Hurricane XTR which I understand is made by HSP and it has many same parts as HSP's (and I believe Exceed's) 1/8 scale buggies as well as some parts with their 1/8 truggies and monster trucks as well. What I would like to find are other spur gears and pinions/clutch bells that will fit right on my Redcat so I can try some different gear ratios. Kinda dumb that they offer all sorts of useless aluminum upgrade parts but no other gear ratios... I would think that should be one of the first custom parts they should offer.

Stock gears are 14T pinion and 46T spur. Does anybody know where I can get a 15T or 16T pinion or a lower tooth spur gear that will fit without much trouble? I can't even find any info on the pitch of these gears.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:10 AM
JoshMaxAmps

Default RE: Redcat Hurricane XTR Spur/Pinion Gears

I am not much help but Iwas hoping you could tell me what you think of that Redcat. I have heard so many mixed reviews. For the money it seems like a good options to me.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:01 PM
merlinx76

Well I guess I understand the mixed reviews...

On my Hurricane XTR, the pull start cord broke before the engine break-in was finished... The engine was not flooded. The cord is really too small for a .28 sized engine. It is much smaller than the cord on my T-maxx TRX 3.3(which is .20 cubic inch) and the pull start doesn't have a brass collet on the hole where the cord comes through like most other brands have. Even though Redcat doesn't normally warranty the pullstart, they made an exception and a new one is on its way... They seem to offer pretty good service. While I was waiting, I tried to fix the pull start with a new cord and found out that this is a pretty easy fix on this type of pull start if you can find the right cord to use.

Redcat parts are generally priced high. My local store charges full retail and the pull start is $33 for this model!!! On ebay I can get the whole brand new damn engine (SH .28) with a pull start shipped to my door for $97 which is an awesome price in contrast! Many of the parts are more expensive than I have seen with other brands. (4 screws for $6, 6 special washers for $9, some of it is absurd!) Ebay does help though and you can often find HSP brand parts that fit because this buggy is manufactured by HSP. All 3 of Redcat's 1/8 scale professional models are nearly identical to a corresponding HSP model.

My Monsoon XTR truggy has an out-of-balance tire which I only noticed when I took it on the pavement the other day, and I already had a strange issue with the gear mesh in one of the differentials even though there is no visible wear. I had to remove the seal for the gears to mesh properly... Not sure if my diff. is going to leak without it. Diff parts are expensive, but again the entire assembly on Ebay is fairly cheap.

The Hurricane is fast and loads of fun, the motor is probably overkill but who can complain about that!. The Monsoon is much heavier and has the same motor but drives so smoothly over rough ground. It is lots of fun, but I am afraid that its weight and those big monster-truck style wheels way out there on those long suspension arms will make it more likely to break things when I bash. Time will tell I guess. So far it did bump a wall hard enough to do about $70 in damage. I may get some narrower truggy wheels for it to help with that.

If I went back in time, I would definitely still get the hurricane, kinda iffy on the Monsoon
Old 01-25-2013, 06:11 PM
lifeismuddy
My Feedback: (17)

mod 0.8 or 32 pitch should match up.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:37 AM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JoshMaxAmps

I am not much help but I was hoping you could tell me what you think of that Redcat. I have heard so many mixed reviews. For the money it seems like a good options to me.
There are many small issues you can point to on most Redcat models that could be better, but if you look at what your getting for the money you can't complain.

Especially for people new to the hobby Redcat makes it affordable to start out. Pricing is what keeps most away from this hobby. It's very difficult for some to walk in a hobby shop with one of their kids and get shown a $600 Traxxas Revo or $500 Hpi Savage. Both companies sell less expensive models, but it's been my experience that their cheaper models are made up of mostly the same parts as Redcat. The only difference is their "cheap" models are usually around $360 for a 1/10 scale nitro compared to a $160-$190 Redcat 1/10 scale nitro. Again, I won't say the competitors less expensive models aren't better at all, just that remember your paying another $150 for them.

I've owned many Redcat models. With a little experience under your belt you will learn what needs to be tweaked and to also find the models they sell that are "their best" for what your paying. Without a doubt the Volcano S30 is one of the best nitro monster trucks out in the startup price range. Less than $200 RTR, very hard to beat. Yes people will warn of the steering servo not being strong enough or just failing prematurely, but we're talking about a replacement that costs less than $15. The SH engine is very user friendly and plenty powerful enough for any of the 1/10 scale models out there today, and I wouldn't think twice about using it as a replacement for competitors equipment either.

Same goes for Redcats brushless equipment, with most of the 1/10 scale brushless costing under $220, you'll be hard pressed to find anything close in comparison out there for less than close to $400.

My last 1/10 was a Tornado S30 which was just indestructible. There are many mod possibilities for this little buggy once you get more confident. I currently have been running a Monsoon XTR for the past year. Again there have been some parts that have broken for apparently no reason, but when you consider the retail cost of this monster truggy, nothing on the market compares. No, it's not as strong as a HPI Savage or Traxxas Revo, but if your not running into immovable objects all the time it holds up just fine. The big block has tons of power. This truggy is great at the track, or anywhere else you want to run it.

If your expectations are reasonable for the money your spending, you'll realize there really is no reason to bash Redcat. Their customer service is top notch. The few times I've had to deal with them either by email or phone, they've made my warranty claim as smooth as possible. you can't ask for more for the money.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:25 PM
lifeismuddy
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: JoshMaxAmps

I am not much help but I was hoping you could tell me what you think of that Redcat. I have heard so many mixed reviews. For the money it seems like a good options to me.
There are many small issues you can point to on most Redcat models that could be better, but if you look at what your getting for the money you can't complain.

Especially for people new to the hobby Redcat makes it affordable to start out. Pricing is what keeps most away from this hobby. It's very difficult for some to walk in a hobby shop with one of their kids and get shown a $600 Traxxas Revo or $500 Hpi Savage. Both companies sell less expensive models, but it's been my experience that their cheaper models are made up of mostly the same parts as Redcat. The only difference is their ''cheap'' models are usually around $360 for a 1/10 scale nitro compared to a $160-$190 Redcat 1/10 scale nitro. Again, I won't say the competitors less expensive models aren't better at all, just that remember your paying another $150 for them.

I've owned many Redcat models. With a little experience under your belt you will learn what needs to be tweaked and to also find the models they sell that are ''their best'' for what your paying. Without a doubt the Volcano S30 is one of the best nitro monster trucks out in the startup price range. Less than $200 RTR, very hard to beat. Yes people will warn of the steering servo not being strong enough or just failing prematurely, but we're talking about a replacement that costs less than $15. The SH engine is very user friendly and plenty powerful enough for any of the 1/10 scale models out there today, and I wouldn't think twice about using it as a replacement for competitors equipment either.

Same goes for Redcats brushless equipment, with most of the 1/10 scale brushless costing under $220, you'll be hard pressed to find anything close in comparison out there for less than close to $400.

My last 1/10 was a Tornado S30 which was just indestructible. There are many mod possibilities for this little buggy once you get more confident. I currently have been running a Monsoon XTR for the past year. Again there have been some parts that have broken for apparently no reason, but when you consider the retail cost of this monster truggy, nothing on the market compares. No, it's not as strong as a HPI Savage or Traxxas Revo, but if your not running into immovable objects all the time it holds up just fine. The big block has tons of power. This truggy is great at the track, or anywhere else you want to run it.

If your expectations are reasonable for the money your spending, you'll realize there really is no reason to bash Redcat. Their customer service is top notch. The few times I've had to deal with them either by email or phone, they've made my warranty claim as smooth as possible. you can't ask for more for the money.

Well stated!!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:13 AM
JoshMaxAmps

Thanks guys I really appreciate the analysis. I am thinking about getting one to try it out. I have been looking for a cost effective starter for on-road setup. What do you guys think about the 1/10 scale Lightning?

http://www.hobby-estore.com/Redcat-L...ningepxpro.htm

Anyone have one? Lots of replacement parts? easily accessible? upgradeable? Thanks again for the input.