Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Warbird Reference Books

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Warbird Reference Books

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 AM
edbu1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warbird Reference Books

I would like to get opinions on what folks consider to be good reference books for WWII warbirds. In particular, I want something that has an assortment of finish schemes. I'm not so much interested in the cockpit and other details, but I would like to finish my aircraft as actual airplanes that saw service. So I want to review an assortment of various color and finish schemes that were utilized. I'm building a P-40 and an F4U right now. And by reference books, I mean there are the 'In Action' series, Squadron Signal, Walk Around, etc. Which ones have the most full color side views/3 views?

Ed
Old 01-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Warbird Reference Books

Some of the best references I have found for paint schemes are aftermarket plastic model decals. They generally come with painting guides calling out all the colors, markings placement, etc. Much better than the vast majority of books which may have lots of side profiles but rarely have more than a couple of drawings showing all sides of a particular airplane. My .02 cents.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

One easy resource I have is a game called IL2 Sturmovik. This is a dedicated WWII simulation and the community does a lot of research. The game provides accurate schemes but the guys who make "skins" go one better and provide even more detailed historically accurate skins. They even go so far as to weather them and provide a clean version sometimes. Just in this game alone there are hundreds of schemes to study.

Also look up Brookhurst Hobbies in Southern California. They have a huge selection of both model kits and books. The website is tough to navigate but if you look it up and call them Im sure you will find a lot of info.

Also try Galaxy Hobbies in Seattle. They have a good selection of books and models and they have very knowledgeable staff.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:17 PM
dadragon

ED +1 have them all for my AD-SKYRAIDER builds.Geo.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:18 PM
AZThud

Being one of those plastic's guy that has seen the light and moved into RC I typically have used these three sources

Squadron In Action series - have some colour profiles of significantly marked or historically significant planes or squadrons this one is usaully the most cost effective.
For more Detail and colour work and photo's \there is the Walk Around Series, it has more details and more pictures than the squadron in actions and is a few buck
s more. If you want to count rivets Then you are looing for the Detail and Scale Series by Burt Kinzey.

Based on what you are looing for I think that the In Action Series is what you are looking for. Or Chad has a point and look for plastic scale model decal sheets. Ihave heard good things about the il 2 game but can't speak to it.

Good luck,

Cheers
Old 01-29-2013, 01:52 PM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Squadron/Signals has a series of "Detail & Scale" Volumes on many aircraft types that are very good. Also any of the Osprey aircraft of the aces series of books are very good if you can find them.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:26 PM
deatonbt

Here is a link to HyperScale for the plastic guys. There are lots of great schemes.

http://hyperscale.com/features.htm

- Brian
Old 01-29-2013, 05:59 PM
tunakuts3d

try your question on the P40 Brotherhood thread.  http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11362182
Old 01-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Here is a good place to look at finished models: www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

Look in the gallery section and if you look around there are decals and books.