Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

GEARING

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:13 PM
dark sombra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GEARING

I have bought a 2nd hand GVE that I am wishing to set up and use for drifting. It's had a few upgrades but i believe the gearing for the car is wrong.
It runs for 15 - 20 mins fine then ESC cuts out from overheating. Need help from somebody who understands gearing as I don't and I believe that this is the issue.

specs are:
(hobbywing brand) - 5.5 turn motor brushless ezrun 6000kv (a bit overboard, i know but still want to use it)
(hobbywing brand) - esc - 12v 0.06A - max 16v
battery: - lipo 4200mAh 7.4v
Internal gearbox - 44T/16T
Main gear - 70T

have a standard 24T motor pinion gear and a 17T. both run fine with no overheating when running really cheap hard plastic tyres (no load) but when i run the desired tyres which are closer to a hard plastic rubber mix (which gives better control & drift) it cuts out after 15 - 20 mins - but does drift well while running. when running grip tyres and running around a track i get less time than that before it cuts out. 17T runs a little better than 24T on grip tyres.

What is the size motor pinion gear that i would need to go to in order to run the hard plastic rubber mix without overheating ESC? or would i need to change more than just that?

NEED HELP PLEASE! I want to get back out there drifting ~ keenly awaiting your guys replies...

Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 AM
Mastertaco

Default RE: GEARING

main reason whyy your esc is overheating when you have the "grip drift" tires on i because those tires actually have to work to break loose. (not enough low end torque in the motor i think)

id say just stick you the plastic wheels with it over heats. or switch motors(higher turn lower KV) till you can find one that works good witht eh "50/50 grip drift" tires 

but i never really messed around with brushless since Brushed motors have worked just fine for me.

in my drift car(Yokomo YR-4 MKII) i runa  22/104 gear ratio with a 12x2 turn brushed motor and i can put touring car tires on it and drift with it with no problems. and goes pretty much faster then anyone elses car when its on plastic drift tires too

Old 02-02-2013, 04:00 PM
dark sombra

Default RE: GEARING

Thanks for the reply. I have been using the cheap tyres just to drift with in the mean time but surely I could use the motor I've got if I re-gear it properly.