Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

WARNING AVOID NITRO PLANES!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

WARNING AVOID NITRO PLANES!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 04:59 PM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WARNING AVOID NITRO PLANES!

Waaaahhhhh buy another one then you'll have parts.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:03 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Again, they do not seem to stock ANY inventory!

That is one of the great things when you go to Tower, you can literally see the stock status of all the spare parts for any plane you want to buy.

Considering how poorly the directions are for these ARF's from China, it is no surprise they cannot communicate that spare parts are not available. These are truly disposable planes. That is pretty much how I have treated most of the ARF's I have owned. Hard for me to have respect for them, so they get flown hard!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:07 PM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

Geeze, like there is nobody on RCU that has complained because Tower quit selling replacement parts for a plane they bought there. Come on, every plane has a shelf life, and when you buy a foamie, IMHO, its a throw-away right out of the box. Its a part of the hobby, I blame the tree!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:07 PM
hairy46

Seems like it would be easy for China to fix the problem. Just part out some of the kits. Thats why I am glad to be a builder. Need wing no problem.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 PM
larryak
My Feedback: (32)

I can hear it. Its coming from down in the valley. The fat lady is starting to sing.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:28 PM
R PILOT

Thanks for all the replies to my initial post guys.  I see two viewsone that sees it being my fault for not knowing spare parts aren't available, then those who have dealt with this company themselves and know to avoid them.

I may just buy a second same plane, as much as I want to boycott them.  Does anyone know if there is flight simulator software out there where one can use the supplied transmitter with a TV or computer and a virtual plane that behaves somewhat close to the ART Tech Diamond 2500?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:34 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

ORIGINAL: joebahl

ORIGINAL: hairy46

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

[img][/img] I'm so making a bag of pop corn for this one..... I haven't bought from them before but have several friends that have and they had no problems.. I cant really see how you crashing your plane makes them a bad company and I mean no offence by that at all.. I do agree, they should say something about the fact that you cant buy replacement parts, but I don't know that I would bad mouth them for it.. They don't make the planes, just ship them out... Welcome to RCU...

Jimbo
not sure why you think its ok. Should be able buy replacement parts. That would upset me! As far as a new glider Tower..............
I have seen this in another thread ,if they stocked parts for all the arfs they sell or sold they would be out of buisness very soon. If you buy a ARF you might as well know that sooner or later they will stop making parts for it . Suck it up men ! joe
That's bs,
why does tower and horizon have spare parts for all of their foamies? And they are in stock!
Have you ever seen a video of how they make foam planes? it is super simple and VERY fast. The cost of the foam is super cheap and there is a guy that just opens the mold, takes the part out, puts part all in it and closes the mold over and over again. They use all of the cardboard and wood from the pallets to heat the funaces for the molding process too. The vid is somewhere on youtube, I've seen it several tmes.
So, just because they are cheaper doesn't give them or us any excuse to say "oh well, let's just take it in the shorts! hey should do the best job they can no matter what the cost is and have pride in their business and product.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:38 PM
GaryHarris

Funny how the internet has changed the way we act and live. It seems that on every forum I'm on, the most "populated" threads are about rants. And those who rant, about the rant, and those who try to be philosophical and think too deep about the whole situation and try to make sense of it all. I guess that's me. I'm thinking back to when I raced RC Cars and a great onroad racer named Barry Baker said, "we race toy cars for bowling trophies". At the end of the day, we are building and flying model planes for the fun of it. Unless you are a pro, most of us are just keyboard cowboys in for it just for the fun of it.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:41 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Time after time I have read on these forums "oh, my plane broke, the servos don't work or the esc is fried and they won't do anything about it. Oh well, I didn't pay that much for it so I guess I will just call it a loss." Well to me that is just WRONG! No matter what you paid for it, it is YOUR MONEY and they should be held accountable for their actions and their product - Stand up for what you believe is right PEOPLE!!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:02 PM
kwblake

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

Funny how the internet has changed the way we act and live. It seems that on every forum I'm on, the most "populated" threads are about rants. And those who rant, about the rant, and those who try to be philosophical and think too deep about the whole situation and try to make sense of it all. I guess that's me. I'm thinking back to when I raced RC Cars and a great onroad racer named Barry Baker said, "we race toy cars for bowling trophies". At the end of the day, we are building and flying model planes for the fun of it. Unless you are a pro, most of us are just keyboard cowboys in for it just for the fun of it.
Hey Gary. If, by being philosophical, and thinking too deep, means you keep posting videos of young beautiful women, singing old guy songs, I'm in. I think you posted this video a few times. I'm going to go looking, and come up with one you may not have seen. I have to go check with a friend. I may just PM one to you.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:21 PM
Mike824D
My Feedback: (3)

I bought a T-28 from them. It had a bad retract. They kept promising me a replacement and needless to say, it never happenend. I went to banana hobby and bought one. I wouldn't by the time of day from them anymore.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:23 PM
kwblake

OK. Went and talked to the friend. Changed my mind Gary. I think some of us need a break from winter, so, chill a bit, and enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvkfyYoLjho I think I got ya beat with this one.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:59 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

To the OP, I am of the opinion that you may want to choose a different plane and approach this a different way. Try to find a local club, and get some good instruction. Get yourself a proven trainer. Preferably a kit, but I understand if that is not possible. I prefer engines as well,but again, my opinion. There are plenty of viable electrics too.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 PM
IfIHadWings

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

R Pilot - Welcome to RCU and the hobby! Both can be addictive...consider yourself warned.

Like you, I bought a RTF foamie from Nitro a little over a year ago. It was an emotional purchase that I blame on Robert Conrad, growing up the mid-70s and my complete ignorance. I didn't know about RCU (and there are a couple of other good ones), I didn't talk to my local hobby shop (LHS) and I didn't go to a flying field...I saw something shiny on the internet and bought it. After realizing I couldn't fly the plane - partly due to the low quality Tx, Rx and other components and partly/mostly due to my lack of skill - I parked the plane, found an instructor, bought Real Flight basic simulator software and started at the beginning. I finally maidened that plane last month after learning on a half dozen other planes that were progressively more complicated.

One thing with Nitro...you won't get anywhere by telephone or email. Go to "RCDiscuss.com", search Forums and scroll to the bottom to find the forum dedicated to your manufacture (e.g.; Airfield, Nitroplanes, etc). Post your concern/request with your order number in the subject line and monitor the responses...you may get what you need. I was able to get a replacement Tx that was no better than the original but at least they sent one.

Someone mentioned that companies should part-out RTFs/ARFs as a way of making spare parts available...if you watch Nitro's forum you get the impression that is exactly what they do but then they sell the cannibalized kit to somebody else who ends on the forum trying to get the missing part. Caveat emptor...

R Pilot...find someone to shepherd you through this hobby. Folks who fly R/C are not shy about sharing their experiences and advice. You don't have to do it alone.

Happy flying and good luck!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 PM
FlyingFish
My Feedback: (17)

If the company is going to be that way about it, I would buy a new plane from them and replace the broken wing with the new wing, then send the whole thing back for a refund......! FREE REPLACEMENT WING!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 PM
pandissix
My Feedback: (134)

My two cents is buy another plane and move on. Being local to S California we see the Nitro Models and Bannana Hobbies guys often at local events. They always support the local shows. Give out free gear and have hot chicks aka "talent" with them. So that's worth a few extra bucks.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:38 AM
radius1x1

Hey Rpilot,
When we grow up maybe we can be like Sgt. and just keep buying new planes. I for one can't afford to pay $200 every time I brake a wing like some. I expect to replace the part and move on! Nitro's planes still cost plenty and the shipping is no laughing matter. I bought both a T-28 and an F4U Corsair from Horizon when they first came out. I love to put a lot of detail into my warplanes and don't have the time to start over after every crash. Spare parts are always available from Horizon, Tower, Hobbyzone and other reputable dealers. Most of us realize you're not looking to blame somebody else for your crash or negate respomsibility; just looking for repair parts.
Good thing Ford, GM, Chrysler, Toyota etc don't do business like the morons at Nitro.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could always take the good wing and use it as a template and build another wing yourself. It is not that hard.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 01-30-2013, 02:12 AM
Maximilionalpha

A good free flight simulator, is rcdeskpilot and can be found at [link]http://www.rcdeskpilot.com[/link]. There are tons of planes that can also be downloaded for it as well. If you're no longer going to keep that Art-Tech Diamond sailplane, I'll be more than happy to take it off of your hands.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 AM
dasquirrelisme
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just read this whole thread. Thats 10 minutes I will never get back. [&o]
Old 01-30-2013, 04:41 AM
RiverLarry

+ 1 Vertical Grimmace this is true the only thing is I would like to see ( Even if thay would cost a fuew $$$ )

a way to get a set of planes for the ARF we have!!! I know if you do a lot of building a person could just wing it !!!

but it would nice to get some paper templets to work with !!!

and yes you mite save a fuew $$$ at first BUT HH or TH or any outher major sup. is the way to go

Thay mite not have ( what you need when you call but) at least thay will get it and E mail you when thay do

and dont make you sound stupedmy .02 R/L

O and some times about a crash it is like hearing Paul Harvey you need to wait for the rest of the story

Old 01-30-2013, 06:21 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

One of the reasons for building kits instead of buying ARFs is YOU FIX WHAT YOU BREAK YOURSELF.  I have had only good experiences with NitroPlanes.  And I check every company I deal with out BEFORE I spend my money, not after I am looking for someone else to blame.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:32 AM
Sgt Shay
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: radius1x1

Hey Rpilot,
When we grow up maybe we can be like Sgt. and just keep buying new planes. I for one can't afford to pay $200 every time I brake a wing like some. I expect to replace the part and move on! Nitro's planes still cost plenty and the shipping is no laughing matter. I bought both a T-28 and an F4U Corsair from Horizon when they first came out. I love to put a lot of detail into my warplanes and don't have the time to start over after every crash. Spare parts are always available from Horizon, Tower, Hobbyzone and other reputable dealers. Most of us realize you're not looking to blame somebody else for your crash or negate respomsibility; just looking for repair parts.
Good thing Ford, GM, Chrysler, Toyota etc don't do business like the morons at Nitro.

Ohhh so you are another one of those people that blame others for your crashing, stop blaming the company you bought the plane from. It's not there fault you can't fly.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 AM
Alan W

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

Come on guys[:@]. The one that has never crash a plane raise your hand.
He is not blaming the co for his dumb thumbs, it's absolutely unfair to trash a perfect plane just because a wing.
Besides we all know that to a tree balsa & monocoat taste like BACON
... Fixed
Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

ORIGINAL: R PILOT I am a newbie to this forum but have been browsing for a while without registering. [...] I have been flying an Easy Star for about a year and figured I'd upgrade to an Art-Tech Diamond 2500 motorized glider I bought from Nitro planes. I flew it once and grazed a tree with one wing which for the most part destroyed the wing. [...] So now I have my saved money invested in this new glider that is essentially USELESS.
Crashing is a normal part of flying models. It wouldn't hurt as as a newbie to learn to repair crash damaged airplanes. Stuff happens even to the best. By learning to repair planes will in the long run net good learning experiences in extending the life of your models.

Also, it does not hurt to research before you buy, to see what level of support you expect. If nitroplanes or their parts affiliate hobbypartz do not have spares, I'd suggest purchasing from someone who does. It may cost you a little more up front, but would be less of a hassle over its lifetime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.