Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Asymmetrical thrust

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Asymmetrical thrust

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 07:30 AM
67Jag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asymmetrical thrust

The ongoing thread re repercussions of a one-engine FO on a twin-engine jet brought up an old interest. Sometime back, and I can't find the reference, a 'center-line thrust' type twin (F-15?) using a single pipe, outletting thru just one nozzle, was proposed and analysed; perhaps flown, as well. The engine was at a bit of a diagonal, then, the outward angling nozzle expected to counter the off-line (asymmetrical) thrust. The idea, of course, being that the thrust line thru the CG and the slight vectoring of the nozzle would counter the off center thrust. I.e., less loss thru a single pipe than a split one, w/ less pipe weight, vs some minimal crabbing easily countered. Maybe hardly worth it w/ our high T:W models, but:

Anton has flown the new Sky Master X-treme F-15 using a JC 60, says it's 'almost overpowered', and indicated a Wren 44 Gold might be 'perfect'. And, perhaps by using the above method w/ a Wren, an even 'more perfect' model might be achieved . A small split pipe will lose as much as a half-pound thrust, this vs a half-pound increase using Wren's augmented single pipe, should result in about a one pound thrust advantage over a bi-pipe. Plus whatever the weight difference of the single pipe. IOWs, a 15-pound wet weight(?) model w/ a bi-pipe would have an approximate thrust of 9.5 pounds vs, say, a 14-3/4 pound model w/ 10.5-pounds thrust. Significant difference, I'd think (T:W of .633 vs 7.1). Antons T:W was about .77, if the model weighed 15.5-pounds (JC60 is 8-oz heavier than a Gold).

Anyone recall an asymmetrical thrust model; Anton...what did your JC60-powered F-15 actually weigh (empty; full)? Flaps, ailerons? Tx, everyone for your comments!

Ray

Old 02-01-2013, 07:44 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Default RE: Asymmetrical thrust

Ray,

Good to see you are still around. I hope you are well.

Maybe we'll see you at some meets this year?

BRG
Bob Michaud
Old 02-01-2013, 07:48 AM
67Jag

Hey Bob, thanks for asking! Few surgeries ahead.....but well enough. I'm back and I'll be there.

Ray
Old 02-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Ray I'm looking forward to it. Stay healthy!

See you soon.

Bob
Old 02-01-2013, 08:26 AM
mick15

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ray, perfectly doable, I had an F15 with a P120 in one side and a fuel tank in the other, you could hardly tell.

m
Old 02-01-2013, 08:35 AM
pilot tw

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi, Ray

I think you are mistake , I flew the Sky e master F-15 EDF conversion to 6 kg thrust. not XTreme F-15,

here is web page, http://www.skymasterjet.com/ef15.htm

the F-15 Length: 1760 mm(69”). Wingspan: 1125mm(44.3”).

dry weight : 7.8kg (without the ailerons / only Flaps with elevons and rudders)

http://youtu.be/lkOj-ZTThYM

Best regards

Anton
Old 02-01-2013, 04:03 PM
67Jag

Mick...that's very encouraging.....glad someone beat me to it and had a good experience!

Anton.......beautifully flying model(!), and you are correct, of course, I was mistaken re which model. The S60 certainly seems plenty of power!

It is a much greater weight than I hoped (17-pounds dry)....and I'm amazed it's that heavy. How heavy is an EDF version? With 48-ounces of fuel, that would add another kilo (2.2-pounds)....over nineteen pounds at take-off; perhaps a T:W of 1:2 using a split pipe 44 Gold. And that would be enough power ('perfect power'); enough for decent vertical maneuvers like loops, etc.? What would a grass TO distance be do you guess? Tx!

Ray