Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > JetCat Turbine Direct Support
Reload this Page >

P120 with kero plug start problem

Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

P120 with kero plug start problem

Old 01-31-2013, 09:37 PM
jlovitt
My Feedback: (41)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P120 with kero plug start problem

I just installed a kero plug in my P120. I have configured the ecu for the correct kerosene version based on the version of the ecu.

When I start, I'm getting a lot of flames and then the start terminates with a accel slo error on the gsu. My manual from the kero plug does not talk about making changes to the ecu.

Also, my kit came with a teflon washer. Is this supposed to be used with the metal washer/spacer under the kero plug?

Jeff
Old 02-02-2013, 09:34 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: P120 with kero plug start problem

Yes the washer is also used.

What color are the flames? Do they come after the turbine has ignited and come up to speed?

You can plug in the GSU and hold " manual" key while starting and it will get through the ramp. What version ecu and firmware do you have
Old 02-02-2013, 03:19 PM
jlovitt

Matt thank you for the reply.

The flames are bluish. They come on after it has ignited and speed has built up.

My ecu is v6.00k

when starting, it lights off quickly and then builds rpm, creating lots of flame to the point that it is a little scary before aborting the operation with the accel slo.

Any help would be appreciated to suggest what ecu changes to make.

Jeff
Old 02-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I know this might sound silly but have you double checked you connections for the solenoid valves going to the ECU. It's possible that you might have plugged the start gas valve into the wrong port. Don't ask me how i know this Lol. It is putting to much fuel into the kero start plug and won't let it ramp up to a good start temp. If that's not the problem then you might have to recalibrate the pump for a leaner fuel flow because the flames are being created from a to rich fuel mixture.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:19 PM
jlovitt

I will double check my setup again in the morning. Thanks for the suggestion!
Jeff
Old 02-03-2013, 08:43 PM
jlovitt

Still having trouble. Turbine starts, but continues to generate lots of flame, sounds unstable before shutting off.

I see refernce to adjusting the unaccl1, what about unaccl2? should this be adjusted.

I think what has really changed is that I'm putting this motor into an airplane that previously had my other 120sx. The fuel pump is new to the p120 that i have added the kero start plug to.

Thoughts?

Jeff
Old 02-03-2013, 10:57 PM
mr_matt

Lower uaccel2, although I thought newer version would only let you adjust one voltage. Just crank it down 3 or 4 units and try again. Is it still timing out?
Old 02-03-2013, 11:08 PM
chrigui

please post video of engine running ... form start to shutdownd
take video from rear engine also

Old 02-04-2013, 05:57 PM
jlovitt

OK, i'm just getting way too much fuel into the motor during startup phase. Fuel and start kero are running from the start. Should the fuel supply be running immediately?

My readings right now are:
uacclr1 .25
u-idle .80 ( I don't see any way to change this value)

Uacclr2 .804 (as low as will go)
U-idle .80

I can't not seem to figure out how to control the amount of fuel going in.

Jeff
Old 02-04-2013, 06:48 PM
mr_matt

Fuel should not go in immediately to the fuel valve (the one going into the turbine cowl) . You have got to make sure the solenoids are hooked up properly and as Greg said not hooked up backwards or to the speed sensor port. You have to REALLY check them closely.

Then you have to make sure the solenoids are operating properly. If the main fuel solenoid is opening before the turbine is lit, you are going to pump a lot of fuel into the turbine.

Is the pump new? Did you try breaking it in (hooked to a 1.5 v dry cell, recirculating fuel).

It has been so long since I ran a kero start those accel numbers don't ring a bell. Uaccel1 seems very high, have you tried lowering it was down, to maybe .125v?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:46 PM
jlovitt

OK... I finally looked at every connection and guess what I found... As was suggested by Greg W and then by Mr Matt, I had the kero start solenoid plugged into the airspeed port.

This was causing all sorts of bad things it seems. I also cleaned out the fuel filter so I could verify that the pump ( I switched pumps back to the original that was always with this motor too). I found this filter to be somewhat clogged causing slow fuel flow.

I just had a nice smooth start with very little flame that went all the way through learn low.

What a relief. Thank you to those who too the time to help. I'm sorry I didn't figure it out with your correct advice sooner.

Greg, Matt- a beer on me at some point in the future.

Jeff
Old 02-04-2013, 08:01 PM
mr_matt

Sorry it took so long. I took a break from jets for maybe a year (doing rockets with my son) but I have been back at it for maybe 6 months. I am slowly getting the hang of things on troubleshooting but I am far from up to speed.

Glad it worked out!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:03 PM
jlovitt

Doing a little rocketing these days with my boys too. Brings me back to fooling around with estes rockets when my brother and I were younger. They are a lot of fun and nice little building exercises for the kids.

Thanks again for the help and patience.
Jeff