Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New Evolution 10cc gas engine

Old 02-01-2013, 09:10 PM
TerryBB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Evolution 10cc gas engine

I'd like some advice from experienced flyers who've flown the 10GX on whether this would be a good engine for my second plane.I've been learning to fly on a Sterling Gazariator, an upsized Fledgling that I built in the early '70s but never got a chance to learn to fly until being retired.It's got a Fox Eagle .60 (version I), also from the early 70's.I'm finally starting to build my Sterling Lancer SL-62, the other plane kit I got back then. It's designed for .60's, with a 62" wingspan, 700 sq. in., with 1.25 in. wide strip ailerons.The wing is low mounted, symmetrical, constant chord, no dihedral.The box says the "flying weight" is 6.25 lb, but isn't specific about whether that is just the airframe or includes the engine.I know the 10GX would be underpowered for an experienced flyer doing advanced aerobatics with this plane, but I'm not there yet on the learning curve.This will be my first plane without the flat bottomed, shoulder mounted, 2.5 in dihedral wing I've been learning on.I've got good instruction, at a club, with a buddy-box.If this engine will fly the plane safely, allowing me to get used to flying this type of airframe, it looks like a good way to go.I don't see another gas engine on the market that wouldwork inthis planeas well, and I would like to get away from glow, but still like the idea of an IC power plant.Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca83009.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1846997  
Old 02-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Pete Bergstrom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From a power point of view this engine would fly the airplane just fine, even for more advanced aerobatics. The Meridian is slightly larger and heavier (7-1/2 to 8lbs) and this engine moves it along very well. 

Have fun!

Pete
Old 02-02-2013, 02:03 PM
josephcraig

what size prop should be best after break in on evo 10gx?
Old 02-02-2013, 03:31 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Pete Bergstrom
This is actually a form of NBR, not Viton tubing. although it works well it is not quite the same.

Pete

Pete,

All NBR is not created equal. So much depends on compounding the rubber. I'd tread carefully.

Viton is bullet proof in this application but is expensive and I haven't really found the right size for the small gassies

I've found a different solution that really works well. It has remained flexible inside the tank and outside the tank for going on 4 years now, is sized correctly with a 0.110" ID and is inexpensive at 75 cents a foot (+S&H). Anyone interested, please shoot me an email direct to my email address

I also carry great (no leak) 8 ounce tanks that are perfect for the10 cc gassie. There's a genuine walbro klunk in these. A ready to run tank is around 15$ +S&H mostly because the klunks are expensive. If you want to use your klunk, fine, and you'll save 4$

Old 02-02-2013, 08:12 PM
WLM189

Got a question for the experienced Evolution 10cc operators. How do you think this engine would perform on a GP 60 size big stick?  I now have a Magnum .91 FS on it and thinking of going to all gas engines.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Pete Bergstrom

Matt,

Thanks for your post about NBR. You are correct and that's why I said it was 'some form' of NBR. We have the replacement Viton in our warehouses now just waiting to be put in stock for those that are looking for it. 1meter and 3 meter packages ... and yes it is about 3 times as expensive as your tubing. When doing the Development and release of this engine we elected to put the more expensive tubing in the package because it clearly performed better than anything we had tested.

Pete
Old 02-03-2013, 06:19 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Pete Bergstrom

Matt,

Thanks for your post about NBR. You are correct and that's why I said it was 'some form' of NBR. We have the replacement Viton in our warehouses now just waiting to be put in stock for those that are looking for it. 1meter and 3 meter packages ... and yes it is about 3 times as expensive as your tubing. When doing the Development and release of this engine we elected to put the more expensive tubing in the package because it clearly performed better than anything we had tested.

Pete
Genuine Viton tubing for 2.25$ a foot is great...Nobody has it that cheap. A 3 meter length for around 25$ is a good buy.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:33 AM
BlackPowder

WLM189,
Out at our field, we are putting 20cc engines on the GP big stick or similar types. I have a DLE 20cc on mine, you might be disappointed after using the 90 four stroke. But thats just my input, Jim
Old 02-03-2013, 08:44 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah... I'd be thinking a .40 size stick.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Hance

Got flight video of mine [X(]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh1IA-qqZrE
Old 02-03-2013, 03:29 PM
kork
My Feedback: (65)

I like it, ski's and all.Sounds like a dead stick, any clue what happened? how long did you bench run them? The reason I ask is I am loading my b-25 with 2 of them.
Either way, thanks for posting a flight video and looking forward to the small powerplants.
Jason

Old 02-03-2013, 06:17 PM
josephcraig

well i just ordered the hanger 9 katana 50 from hobbyzone.hope i made a good choice.i have run several tanks thru engine on test stand,first couple with 10 x6 then stepped up to 11 x6.i'm not a real big 3d flyer. been flying couple years.have a twist 40 with saito 82 already.it makes a real good 3d flyer.i'm not wanting the evo 10 for 3d anyway so hopefully this match up will be good.also have great planes stinger ii. love the plane.has os 46 fx on it with pitts muffler.i want to put life batteries in it to keep weight down.has anyone tried the life batteries from value hobby.i have used their 11.1 g force lipos and they work really well.let everyone know how it goes after maiden flight...propably use 8 0z tank.........i'm curios if it will do unlimited vertical.....what do yall think
Old 02-03-2013, 06:59 PM
AA5BY

If staying under six pounds... it will do unlimited vertical. I don't know how much over six will still obtain unlimited.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:08 PM
chandley43231
My Feedback: (2)

Yes I plan on putting mine on my great planes 580 eagle 53" to break in  for my hanger9 b-25  have the bomber but will not fly till late season
Old 02-03-2013, 07:31 PM
WLM189

Thanks for the insight Jim. Think I'll hold on to the .91 for a while. It has a fairly sluggish up line. Might try a different prop on it.

Wayne
Old 02-03-2013, 07:38 PM
josephcraig

yea im sure it want do unlimited vertical,but i think it will fly it really well..to me your best 3d planes have four stroke engines..the twist i have with saito 82 has a 13 x 7..been wanting to put 14" on it,,i have been practicing 3d moves with it on up in the air so i want get myself in trouble..i think the 2 stroke engines make better flyers instead of 3d anway..one of the other guys said it had as much power as os 55,i think dave said that,so it should be fine.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:41 PM
dbar101219

JUST ORDER MINE TODAY AND A MACS MUFFLER

Old 02-03-2013, 07:52 PM
josephcraig

yea i haven't flown my engine yet ,i'm wanting to order the pitts muffler for mine.but i think you are gonna be impressed with it from the testing ive done on test stand.if it flies as well as it runs on the stand,the throttle response is really good and clean..
Old 02-03-2013, 08:17 PM
AA5BY

I did get a telemetry tach installed and promised an unloaded flight number. With the APC 14x4 funfly prop, I'm showing slightly better than 9k static and slightly more than 10k in the air on the flats.

One issue I've not seen commented on and don't know yet what to think. I've now sixteen flights and have noted that the HS needle has needed backed out almost incrementally a click or two each outing for the last several. I've never owned an ABC engine and don't know if that is typical of break in. Along with that change is the great reduction in the black goo that has been noted. There has been no performance decrease. The engine is now easy enough to hand start that I'm no longer using a starter.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:57 AM
rcrobby82
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Hance

Got flight video of mine [X(]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh1IA-qqZrE

Did you happen to get an AUW of that plane? what prop? I am also curious as to what caused the dead stick. I need to figure out what throttle servo I want to run still.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Kentli22

I transfered this 10cc engine to an EPO F3A plane to fly in places where there is no runway for take off and landing, but hand launch and belly landing on slopes.  1.4m, 2.5kg, 12*8 APC, plenty of vertical power. this engine works perfectly right out of the box, easy to manage and adjust.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Pete Bergstrom

I'd love to see a picture of that F3A airplane.

Pete
Old 02-04-2013, 01:17 PM
gade600sdi

ORIGINAL: rfan_1

ORIGINAL: rcrobby82

Has anyone considered mounting this on a profile? I am kicking around getting one of these engines and putting it in a kit built OMP Katana (old) or restoring a H9 twist 40 up in the rafters.

An OS 55AX weighs 18.5 oz with muffler. The 10cc weighs 22 oz with muffler and ignition, and you still need a battery or IBEC to power the ignition. The Tech-Aero IBEC weighs about an ounce, so your looking at 23 oz minimum vs 18.5 oz. for the glow. That could be a good thing (kinda) if your profile is tail heavy.
I think you can get that 3 ounces of weight back by carrying 3 ounces less fuel....don't forget about the fuel difference, its not really a weight issue. As a matter of fact, you now have ability to move your ignition battery and fuel tank around more than with a glow, so you are more flexible with the weight location plossibly avoiding adding lead to the tail in some models...weight is not a penalty with this engine in my opinion.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Pete Bergstrom

[/quote]

I think you can get that 3 ounces of weight back by carrying 3 ounces less fuel....don't forget about the fuel difference, its not really a weight issue. As a matter of fact, you now have ability to move your ignition battery and fuel tank around more than with a glow, so you are more flexible with the weight location plossibly avoiding adding lead to the tail in some models...weight is not a penalty with this engine in my opinion.
[/quote]

One small note about your comment above. With our fuel delivery system the fuel tank needs to be in a similar location to what you are used to with a glow engine. We are still using muffler pressure to get the fuel to the carb so alignment with the center of the carb and as close to the engine as possible is the norm with this engine. You of course do have the ability to move the ignition battery and or ignition around a little bit. We have a decently long lead on the spark plug wire to allow this.

Pete

Old 02-04-2013, 02:20 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: gade600sdi

The fuel weight difference should be big. The typical 10cc glow engine carried 14 to 16ozs glow fuel, which is quite a bit denser than gasoline. 16 ozs of 15% glow fuel weighs around 13 1/2 ounces

This 10cc gas engine doesn't need any more than 6ozs gasoline. It should run at least 10 minutes on 6 ozs, and probably longer. My OS33GT is 3 1/2 times larger (and develops about 4 1/2 HP) than the Evo10cc (develops what, about half the power or less). The OS33GTruns 10 minutes on 8 ozs gas.....BTW- 6 ozs gasoline weighs about 4 1/2 ounces; the specific gravity of gasolineis 0.75

An 8 oz difference times the specific gravity, means take off weight should be 6 ounces less due to fuel alone

I highly reccommend the Tech Aero IBEC to power the CDI particularly on these small models that take the 10cc gas engine. You will save about another 5 ounces of battery and switch weight. And besides, the IBEC is so much easier (safer too) to work with on every flight, once you use it, you will never go back.

I don't know about you but to me, these small crates fly a heck of alot better when they are lighter. Gas and ignition battery savings of 10-12 ounces is within reach. If your crate weighed 6 lbs before at take off, now it will weigh 5 1/4, almost a 10% weight (wing loading) savings. That's a bunch! Everything will improve especially your landings

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.