Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Full Scratch Build Large-Scale Warbird

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Full Scratch Build Large-Scale Warbird

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 03:11 PM
Shadowtech666

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Scratch Build Large-Scale Warbird

Hello All,

After many years in the hobby, I am bored and looking for a challenge of a rather sadistic degree.

My plans are to do a large scale, multi-engined WWII millitary aircraft that is a scratch build-even the
retracts would be CADed and machined from scratch.

I would like to keep the twin scale above 110" and the 4 engine scale in the 12' range. I was looking at the
Don Smith B-17 and the Ziroli OR Yellow P-38 and was hoping to get specific feedback mainly in the realm of
the ease of of scratch build from the authored plans as well as documentation found on the internet. Other
items of interest are quality of design. Wing tube placement, landing gear hardpoints, balance issues, flight
performance anything that one can give.

Thanks and Happy Flying!

-Tom
Old 01-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Full Scratch Build Large-Scale Warbird

Try giantscalewarbirds.com

r/cwarbirds.com

Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Shadow if you want my opinion... if you are capable of going the scratch built route.. possibly find a unique plane, or a rare one at least ... after doing all that work, why let your craftsmanship look like one of a million other kits and ARFs. Just my 10 cents (inflation)
Old 02-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Shadowtech666

ORIGINAL: foodstick

Shadow if you want my opinion... if you are capable of going the scratch built route.. possibly find a unique plane, or a rare one at least ... after doing all that work, why let your craftsmanship look like one of a million other kits and ARFs. Just my 10 cents (inflation)
I was torn about that for a long time. I originally wanted to do something along the lines of a Bf-110 or a Ju-88 but I am slightly worried about engine clearance and finding documentation for machining landing gear, etc. One thing I am going for this time around is a show model that can score well in both static and flight events.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DS B-17 is a proven design, seen several fly at bomber field. But like foodstick says, its been done a lot. I always thought a C-130 with opening cargo door and dropping a bunch of stuff out the back would be cool.
Edwin
Old 02-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Carlos Murphy

I've always liked the C119 Flying Box Car.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Carlos G

Hi Shadowtech666

How about a B-57 Canberra bomber? Don't see those too often. The recon version had extra long wing and that would help to keep the wing loading down. They were made under license by Martin here in the U.S. and documenting one should be reasonable.

You did ask for suggestions....

Carlos G.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Carlos Murphy

When I kept my Cherokee 180 at the Hayword Air Terminal in Ca. years back there was a Canberra there many times on display for

several events, got many up close looks at it, very cool.

You'd be looking at between six and eight grand just for turbines... ya got MY OK!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Shadowtech666

ORIGINAL: Edwin

The DS B-17 is a proven design, seen several fly at bomber field. But like foodstick says, its been done a lot. I always thought a C-130 with opening cargo door and dropping a bunch of stuff out the back would be cool.
Edwin
Agreed a C-130 would be a really cool millitary build but I fear the engine nacelles are too small to get an engine all the way concealed.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Carlos Murphy

IMHO, any multi engine turbo prop plane would have to be a volter for scale appearance and ease of operation.

I would not want to have to carve up the cowls and wind up with cylinder heads and mufflers sticking out all over.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:58 AM
Edwin

I've been kicking around the idea of an electric setup that would sound like a turbo prop. An extended prop shaft with a secondary impeller to give you a whine.
Edwin
Old 02-02-2013, 10:12 PM
Shadowtech666

Edwin,

Could you be more specific? Have you tried this at all before?
Old 02-03-2013, 05:53 AM
Edwin

Just an idea kicking around my head right now. Too many projects ahead of it. But I've been thinking an extended shaft with a edf rotor to provide the whine, with a standard prop for the pull. I'm not sure how long that extended shaft might have to be but I'm pretty sure it would be custom made on my lathe. Would probably need a short shroud around the rotor and provide an exhaust outlet that might look scale. I figure the shroud would be just enough to protect the rotor. I dont know how loud or what pitch the whine would be at slower prop speeds. Maybe also program in a slow start ramp up on the motor to simulate a turbine spool up. With my DX18 I could sequence each engine start up.

Edwin
Old 02-03-2013, 09:44 PM
mgoodwin

Convair Tradewinds. Not WWII. Only about 5 Made. I have never heard of one modeled. Two Bow styles. No landing gear. Tilt nose. Beach it, drive a jeep out of it! Each engine nacelle had two Allison Turbines coupled to a single shaft with 2 -3 blade counterrotaters, reverseable. I see two outrunners running a inner and outer shaft, reverseble of course, gotta back off the beach after dropping off the jeep. Outta get a good turbine whine outta 8 outrunners. fiberglass Fuse. Enough punishment?