Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

New HPI 1/8 Gassers

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:55 AM
dmzamora

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New HPI 1/8 Gassers

ORIGINAL: 378

That's fine by me. All I want reverse for is to back out of parking spots and near-headons. I don't really intend on doing any reverse donut shenanigans.
Exactly, but lots of people tend to like this kind of "maneuver". It just eats tires, drivetrain and put the engine breathing directly in the middle of a dust cloud. To me, it's just incredibly boring and completely pointless [&o]
Old 12-11-2012, 10:58 AM
dmzamora

Talking about "donuts"... is anyone more annoyed with it coming with the all tall-soft-wobbly Terrapins?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:20 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: dmzamora

Exactly, but lots of people tend to like this kind of ''maneuver''. It just eats tires, drivetrain and put the engine breathing directly in the middle of a dust cloud. To me, it's just incredibly boring and completely pointless [&o]

I will say that such things are hilariously fun to do. But honestly, between the indoor micro-RCs and all my racing video games, I don't need to torture an RC truck worth as much as my 1:1 doing it. Fun is nice, but I don't really find replacing differentials very fun, so I'm not one to endanger them. So yeah, mostly I'll just use reverse to back it out of fuel stops, tricky situations, and maybe once in a while a gentle wheelie. Nothing crazy, nothing likely to break anything.

As far as the engine breathing in a dust storm.....that's sort of what the air filter is there for. I don't really have a choice, the way the engine is situated in both the NTC3 and CEN MT2 see it facing backwards, mounted in the back, with the air filter hanging over the rear tires. If I drive in dusty conditions I can clog the big, meaty OS 202 in three 75cc tanks!

Talking about ''donuts''... is anyone more annoyed with it coming with the all tall-soft-wobbly Terrapins?
Those are fine with me, too. I don't expect a monster truck to handle very well, I have a touring car if I want good handling, so I'm fine with big, mushy sidewalls and foams on my MT. The extra bump absorbing capability they render is more than worth the handling tradeoff in something I expect to handle like a glacier anyway. I would like a much meatier tread, though. I wonder what happened to the chevron tread RC MTs used to use back in the day...
Old 12-11-2012, 12:45 PM
dmzamora

Those are fine with me, too. I don't expect a monster truck to handle very well, I have a touring car if I want good handling, so I'm fine with big, mushy sidewalls and foams on my MT. The extra bump absorbing capability they render is more than worth the handling tradeoff in something I expect to handle like a glacier anyway. I would like a much meatier tread, though. I wonder what happened to the chevron tread RC MTs used to use back in the day...
Surely I don't want it to handle like an F1 , but Terrapins are way beyond acceptable if you like to hit a track once in a while. They grip very well, but with those high walls the good grip turns out in a disadvantage, you see the truck flipping on every turn. Don't even think in a powerslide on a packed dirt track. They can be good to big jumps, but the GT2 that comes with Savage 4.6 handles WAY better. Those can really be called all-around tires. I think that a XL gasser, which probably will be heavier, and will have a higher CG (as we can see by the picture, taller engine and taller tank), will struggle to keep on its paws with Terrapins. A 40's version of the GT2 would fit much better
Old 12-11-2012, 12:59 PM
kg2mb

I wonder if thunder tiger(team associated)is looking at this and thinking...hmmm...we can do that.
im digging this whole truck,i dont always want to lug my 5sc so this is cool,a 1/8 truck that runs on pump gas..
cant see the Tuned pipe in this pick..need more picks
Old 12-11-2012, 01:54 PM

Surely I don't want it to handle like an F1 , but Terrapins are way beyond acceptable if you like to hit a track once in a while. They grip very well, but with those high walls the good grip turns out in a disadvantage, you see the truck flipping on every turn. Don't even think in a powerslide on a packed dirt track. They can be good to big jumps, but the GT2 that comes with Savage 4.6 handles WAY better. Those can really be called all-around tires. I think that a XL gasser, which probably will be heavier, and will have a higher CG (as we can see by the picture, taller engine and taller tank), will struggle to keep on its paws with Terrapins. A 40's version of the GT2 would fit much better

As I said I don't really expect MTs to handle any better than a glacier. They're supposed to be big, heavy, lumbering behemoths that will roll over if you aren't careful. The real ones do this, why not ours?

I much prefer having huge, meaty sidewalls on my monster trucks. They're terrible for handling, but they're great for mudding, jumping and the like...and that's what I buy a monster truck for. If I want something nimble I'll buy something designed to be nimble from the getgo. After all 90% of what's on the market these days is racing stuff...truggies, buggies, stadium trucks and the like. I've got plenty of options to choose from there. If I want big, dumb, brutish hilarity that gives as little of a damn about the terrain it's on, the obstacles it's barreling towards and the surface properties as it does how level it corners, I'll buy a monster truck.

Maybe I'm odd about not wanting a jack-of-all-trades master-of-none RC? Maybe I'm an oddball because I'm happy with an RC designed for one thing, whether that be racing or screwing around in a mudpit?
Old 12-11-2012, 03:03 PM
dmzamora

Some of us wants to have lots of specialized RCs. Some of us (like me) wants to make the most of one or two.

At the end, is all about having fun, besides some incomprehensible things (like donuts ).
Old 12-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Borneoben

Thats why  we have Upgrades Guys!!

This is screaming out for some 1/5 Baja Wheels and tires!

its all about personalisation and customising to exactly what we want.

I wonder when it will hit the shelves?

Old 12-16-2012, 04:44 PM
muddmess1

Do we have a definate release date yet? My XL needs a motor mabye i"ll take the 200 and put it toward a new truck instead!
Old 12-16-2012, 10:16 PM
aussiexl59

i dont care if its got reverse...i dont care wot tyres its got...and i dont care how much it cost... im f u k i n gettin one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2012, 05:43 PM
benbishop98
My Feedback: (1)

i am currently in the market for a new monster.  need to know release date and price really soon! about to pull the trigger on a mgt 8.0
Old 12-19-2012, 06:01 PM

ORIGINAL: benbishop98

i am currently in the market for a new monster. need to know release date and price really soon! about to pull the trigger on a mgt 8.0
Nobody knows, but if I were to guess, I'd say:

Early Spring 2013
$500-$650

I would advise pulling the trigger on that MGT and waiting about 6-8 months before jumping onto the Savage gasser. Give them time to work bugs out of the powertrain, get the aftermarket support up to snuff, and for the price to come down to a more reasonable level. Buying one on launch is a nice show of support, but it also opens you up to spending a fortune on something that may not be quite ready for primetime yet. I've seen it countless times in other industries. First adopters are almost always paying beta testers.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:07 PM
dmzamora

Yep. The engine is a huge question mark, and in case it shows up being pretty good, then the drivetrain will be beaten to death
Old 12-19-2012, 07:43 PM
benbishop98

good points.  i know i love the mgt, had one before.  went from one to a t-maxx on a trade after the engine on the mgt went.  hate the t-maxx. no comparison.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:33 PM
BChiz

Ben Bishop, I have an MGT 8.0 (never run) I might sell to you if you are interested. Make you a deal. PM me if interested.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:04 AM
On2_n_On4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from facebook
YES, the Savage Octane XL is here, and it will be available later this year! — with Robert Savage and Anthony Maccioni.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:26 AM

My my, that's quite the enormous heat sink on that cylinder head. Seems like HPI is trying to avoid using a fan to cool the thing, as is common with glow engines. I hope that roll cage is stiffer than it looks, otherwise head fins are gonna go flying left right and center.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:37 PM
pythonfan

My my, that's quite the enormous heat sink on that cylinder head. Seems like HPI is trying to avoid using a fan to cool the thing, as is common with glow engines. I hope that roll cage is stiffer than it looks, otherwise head fins are gonna go flying left right and center.
The picture posted is rather small, here's the actual sized picture and you can see they are using a transmission driven fan system to cool the motor still.

Here's the link to the larger photo [link=https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/819176_482172065179324_1276277132_o.jpg]Click Me[/link].
Old 01-31-2013, 02:20 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like it !!!
Old 01-31-2013, 02:28 PM
cumquat

i remember some time ago someone suggesting the idea of an alternator of sorts for nitro so there was no battery needed or atleast you wouldnt have to remember to charge it. perhaps that fan may also serve a similar purpose? the suggestion was that the flywheel had small magnets embedded in it. if that would have worked, maybe it would work with magnets on the blades of a fan or even if the blades themselves were magnetic. highly unlikely but would be interesting.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:34 PM
dmzamora

ORIGINAL: cumquat

i remember some time ago someone suggesting the idea of an alternator of sorts for nitro so there was no battery needed or atleast you wouldnt have to remember to charge it. perhaps that fan may also serve a similar purpose? the suggestion was that the flywheel had small magnets embedded in it. if that would have worked, maybe it would work with magnets on the blades of a fan or even if the blades themselves were magnetic. highly unlikely but would be interesting.
Back in the old NiCd days I would pretty much agree with you. But today, with the low cost and fast charging LiPo, I think it just don't worth the hassle
Old 02-01-2013, 01:33 PM

ORIGINAL: cumquat

Such things actually exist for aircraft. Sullivan, I think, makes one that fits 0.30-1.0cid 2cycle and 4cycle aircraft engines, and it does exactly what you're suggesting. It comes with a little magnet ring that sandwiches in between the prop and the prop driver, a pickup that generates power off of it, and control circuitry to return the electronics to the battery when the engine shuts off unexpectedly.

Back in the old NiCd days I would pretty much agree with you. But today, with the low cost and fast charging LiPo, I think it just don't worth the hassle
I would say it's even more convenient today. Reason being: The NiCDs of yesteryear are too weak for an onboard e-starter. A modern 2s LiFE RX Pack can pop out enough juice to light the plug AND spin the engine over. The charge system would then top it back up, and once it's full, take over running the electronics entirely.

It would make bashing a glow car literally as simple as "Fuel it up, turn the radio on, press button, and go!". Losi's ROSS system demonstrates that convenience pretty nicely, since it's already set up exactly the way I describe, only without an onboard charge system.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:49 AM
pythonfan

New pictures from facebook: [link=https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.487202678009596.116221.260010217395511&type=3]Click Me.[/link]

Old 02-04-2013, 05:03 AM
Borneoben

Those are Definitley 3D printed rapid prototyping parts.

Man i hope this is as good as we hope it will be!

I have been messing about with my buddys 1/5 scale gasser for a couple weeks and i am loving gas engines in RC cars

i bet this is still along way from being released if they are still showing prototypes at these events.

Cheers

ben
Old 02-04-2013, 05:25 AM
cumquat

in the 3rd to last pic, do i see gear teeth on the fly wheel? and who else is getting a blister from just looking at that pull start?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.