Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Search for Custom Carbon fiber blade maker

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Search for Custom Carbon fiber blade maker

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 08:55 PM
john534

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Search for Custom Carbon fiber blade maker

Hello,
I am looking for someone that would like to discuss with me the possibilities of laying up large diameter individual carbon fiber propeller blades of my design.
Any and all ideas are very welcome..... I am all ears.

Thanks!

John
Old 01-31-2013, 09:46 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default RE: Search for Custom Carbon fiber blade maker

John, how large? and do you have the tooling already?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:03 PM
john534

Hi speedy,
The overall blade length is about 14" long ea. and would be about a 29-30" dia. 4 blade assembly. I am currently working on the blade tooling and my hub, but figured I should start asking.

Thanks,
John
Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Ed Smith

I am somewhat interested. I would supply the Carbon materials and Epoxy resins

Is the requirement for hollow blades or solid blades? Will the props need to be supplied balanced? The tooling question has already been asked. What quantities per run are contemplated? What would be the payment arrangements?

My price would have to include shipping from Canada.

Regards,

Ed Smith
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39937.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1846812  
Old 02-01-2013, 12:17 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You stated that this is a prop assembly, so does that mean you are machining an aluminum clamshell prop hub and there would be 4 blades with molded bosses at the root ends of each blade allowing you to dial in the pitch? The prop on the airplane in my avatar was 64" dia. 3 bladed carbon fiber adjustable pitch prop with an aluminum clamshell hub, and I also built a few sets of this same design but smaller dia. for the Southwest Research Institute about 9 years ago. Anyway it is a good way to go because all you need is a one blade indexed toolset and they are all the same after that. Best of luck to you...

Bob
Old 02-01-2013, 12:29 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Liability issues come to mind.

Who or what will indemnify the maker?

Steve
Old 02-01-2013, 01:23 PM
john534

Thanks guys for your help.

- Ed, Thanks for offering your help. Could I email or PM you more details of my blades?

- Bob, You are spot on with my thinking, and yes this would be a machined hub with ground adjustable pitch blades. Kind of like the Solo... but improved.

- Steve, the same thoughts I have, but I have to start somewhere. I would not be holding any one liable for my own testing fortunes or mishaps and these are not for re-sale, but that said, the possibility is there in the future. So, to have some blades made by a person who understands carbon blade layup, is better than me messing around with it for ever and its a safer path.

Thanks again guys for questions, concerns and ideas, I really appreciate it.

John
Old 02-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Ed Smith

- Ed, Thanks for offering your help. Could I email or PM you more details of my blades?
Hi John.

Certainly. [email protected]

Ed S
Old 02-03-2013, 09:12 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: john534

Hello,
I am looking for someone that would like to discuss with me the possibilities of laying up large diameter individual carbon fiber propeller blades of my design.

Thanks!

John
John,

Why not do what I do? I take woodies and modify them to my design specs and then laminate a carbon sock over the prop, doubling up in the center section. Works well and you get the synergy of a hybrid: wood for shape and noise dampening/carbon for strength and primarily stiffness. Weight wise, my hybrids rival first generation electric props of similar size but of course are intended for gasoline engines. Just a thought......
Old 02-04-2013, 06:37 AM
Ed Smith

Why not do what I do? I take woodies and modify them to my design specs and then laminate a carbon sock over the prop, doubling up in the center section.
Now that is interesting. What type of carbon covering do you use? Thin random matt, woven cloth? How do you achieve a smooth surface finish?

Regards,

Ed S
Old 02-10-2013, 11:29 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: john534

Hello,

Thanks!

John
John,

Why not do what I do? I take woodies and modify them to my design specs and then laminate a carbon sock over the prop, doubling up in the center section. Works well and you get the synergy of a hybrid: wood for shape and noise dampening/carbon for strength and primarily stiffness. Weight wise, my hybrids rival first generation electric props of similar size but of course are intended for gasoline engines. Just a thought......

Interesting idea. But for me that would make an even more expensive ground strike. For me the idea has to be cost effective. That's how I can stay in this hobby.

Steve