Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM 50cc Corsair

Old 01-20-2013, 06:34 AM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: ESM 50cc Corsair

Lane, the same Robarts (which was originally for the Top Flite Giant Corair, nr 148, I believe?) that fits the ESM 50cc Corsair, also fits the ESM 50cc P-40.

You just need to do the same leg extension procedure as explained elsewhere in this thread.

http://www.robart.com/products/100-d...racts-16-scale
Old 01-20-2013, 07:33 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Kwik, Mr Grump and Stoat and others thank you all for your comments.
I have sufficient serious scale warbirds to keep me happy (maybe lol). So it's the TopFlite GS plane I'm going with.

I can fix most any issue with any plane.. do I want to? lol someitmes yes but in this case.. no..

I have two planes built yet to Maiden. One as a Yellow P-47 and the other a Sis-T FW190. And soon I'll have my Glenn Torrence DVI to fly.. soooooo time is important..

Old 01-20-2013, 08:27 AM
COL J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Youmanskids,
What is the dimension of the DLE 60 twin from plug boot to plug boot? I can't seem to find in their spec sheets.
THANKS
Old 01-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Mr_Grump

Thanks Kwik. If I buy the P-40, you know I'm a glutton for punishment. I'll also have no justification to complain about ESM if I do.

By the way, I've been trying to talk management into a trip to Kongsberg company. I'm working on the NASAMS program. If I make it, I'll expect at least a cup of coffee...

Lane
Old 01-20-2013, 11:05 AM
kwik

That would be excellent, Mr. Grump!
Old 01-20-2013, 11:30 AM
captainron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said Kwik...............I Like mine to ......NOW.........But I put more hours into this plane than I did building my TF P-47 built from a kit and that's no bull sh**..........YUP..It flies good.........YUP it looks good. But if I had it to do all over again, I go with the TF Arf hands down.........JMHO..

CAPTAIN RON
Old 01-20-2013, 06:27 PM
youmanskids

hey Texan, It measures 10 5/8 " from boot to boot. hope that helps. Roger
Old 01-23-2013, 12:43 PM
kwik

ORIGINAL: BobH

I have sufficient serious scale warbirds to keep me happy (maybe lol). So it's the TopFlite GS plane I'm going with.
Allways wanted an ARC Topflite GS Corsair myself.

But hard to get in Norway.

And now I couldn't help myself, and bought a Vailly Typhoon, ready to glass!

Oh no, what have I done.....[:-]...the wing is like a giant sufboard...to long to hold vertical in my living-room.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:12 AM
verbails

Hi all
I am afraid I must be the bearer of bad news Brett Cudby otherwise known as Stoat passed away at his home yesterday very unexpectedly! Brett was a big contributor to this forum his wealth of information and willingness to offer help will be sorely missed! Myself and countless other modellers here in New Zealand are shocked and saddened by this news. Brett was famous for his willingness to travel form one end of the country to the other with his car jammed packed with models. He would spend a large amount of time helping people tune engines set control throws and doing maiden test flights! His passion for the sport was infectious his style of flying was spectacular we have lost an icon his love of scale and his attention detail is amongst the best we have seen! Most of all we have lost a mate! Brett is survived by his wife and two children. Rest in peace buddy!!!!

Chris
Old 01-24-2013, 04:21 AM
ya33a

G'day Chris,
I think I can speak for several other people as well as myself from this forum as I’m sure from many other forums as well, your mate 'Stoat' certainly enjoyed RC Modelling and his humour is spread throughout the discussions as a lasting legacy. I for one will miss his unique view point and his breadth of knowledge, from Aircraft, Rugby and Cricket.... Even though I'd never been privileged to meet the gentleman in person, I feel through his writing I got to know him a little.
Please pass on our regards and best wishes to his family from the whole RC Universe community.
Andrew
Old 01-24-2013, 06:08 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sad news indeed...I enjoyed his posts, and loved his planes.  A very talented man, who seemed to love helping others here.   I hope his family knows how he was liked and will be missed around here.

Salute Stoat, rest in peace our warbird loving friend.  The pattern is clear, and the sky is all yours.

Casey
Old 01-24-2013, 08:24 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

WOW Sad news indeed. I for one will miss him. He was a gentleman and loved to share his knowledge. My deepest regards to his wife and children.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:49 AM
kwik

What ? [&o]

That really is sad !

You could see through his posts that he was someone you would like to meet someday.

If I ever went to NZ, I surely would try to visit his field and see him flying his Corsair, and talk planes.

My deepest regards to his wife and children.

[]
Old 01-24-2013, 09:23 AM
captainron

OMG........WELL SAID glazier808 and kwik............There's just nothing I can add to what you both have said so well. I also salute him and thank him for his willlingess to share his wealth of talent and knowledge regarding our hobby.

I AM VERY SAD TODAY........THE HOBBY HAS LOST ONE OF THE GOOD GUYS...........

CAPTAIN RON
Old 01-24-2013, 08:34 PM
G T

WOW that is very sad news about Stoat

i see his last post was only 5 days ago !
i have really enjoyed his post's on the Corsair and his attension to detail and engineering modifications / improvements
as said by his mate in NZ he will surly be missed...
Old 01-25-2013, 12:26 PM
youmanskids

I am very saddend by the news of  Brett's passing.   I also apreciated all his help, and will be praying for his family.  I hope to meet him someday in eternity!  Roger
Old 01-26-2013, 07:18 PM
youmanskids

Maiden Day has come!!!  All balanced and charged up, she is ready for her shake-down maiden.  I haven't painted her yet or put on the gear doors, still waiting for the sequencer from Down and Locked.  The DLE twin ran perfectly out of the box.  The plane was not as stable as I had expected but overall flys well.  she is ballanced 130mm from LE at the bend, sltly nose heavy.  maybe needs a bit more nose weight.  The maiden went well, but landing her was more challanging than I though after reading you guys reports. She floats a bit and I slowed her down too much to get her to come down which resulted in a bouncing but successful landing.  I got some video for you all.
http://youtu.be/zoDjOLM7e44

the second landing was worse with a big bounce which twisted the L gear axel, when she came down hard again, the wheel popped off and flipped her over.  It cracked the rudder a bit  and broke the plastic wheel hub on the Left.  A simple repair and she was flying again in 3 days- the next chance I got..  It is getting better, keeping a bit more power on and doing some touch and gos helped alot.  She is my first giant scale plane and I need to get used to her.
  She is beautiful to watch, slow and steady on the controls, flys very scale-like.  I guess the bigger they are the more scale they look!
Now I need to finish up the paint job and do the weathering. very enjoyable project!   Roger

Old 01-27-2013, 04:32 AM
kwik

Okay Roger! Congratulations!

I am not an expert pilot. Far from it. Very, very far.

But, I have some experience on the ESM Corsair. You have now exactly the same experience on the first flights as I did. Exactly the same.

The situation gets worser and worser the more head-wind you get.

And here is my take on it;

You will have to forcefully set the nose DOWN and sort of steer it down dowards the airstrip. Never let that nose point anywhere else but DOWN.

Otherwise it will just loose airspeed and stop, and fall through. It will not get any sink rate, on the contrary, it might climb. And stop, and fall through.

So DOWN it is with that nose. With full flaps. Now, of course, you cannot just fly it straight into the ground, so the last meter will be in parallell with the ground-level, and
you can flare juuuust before the wheels hit the ground. If you don't, you will bounce. If you let the nose up, it stops and fall through.

The speed wont build up much with the nose down, and when you are parallell to the ground, juuust before the wheels hit, it will loose speed quickly.
And it is this "loose speed quickly" that you must avoid when you are 2-3 meters up.

So, forcefully steer it down,down,down towards say 10-20 meters before the airfileld then in parallalell just, say a meter above ground. And flare when its only centimeters left.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:41 AM
youmanskids

Thanks Kwik, it sounds simple!! !! I hear what your saying. next timeI'll try to keep the speed upand plant the main gear, like a touch and go, thenbackoff the power. I think it would also help to have someup trim in the elevator when the flaps are down to keep the nose from pushingdown too much,(She seem to nose down with the flaps deployed). I think I was holding the elevator up during the approach and did nothave her trimmed for a good flat glide slope. I was fighting it and got some porposing going on, then got too floaty and slow.

where is yourCG, couldbeing nose heavy contribute to the problem? (mine is set at 130mm) Ithought it would make it easier.

I'm ready for anothergo at it, just waitingfor the 20mph wind to settle down, mayby wednesday afternoon....keep praying and I'll keep practicing! roger
Old 01-27-2013, 11:56 AM
kwik

The CG on mine is exactly at the position the manual says.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:45 AM
youmanskids

Hey guys, here is some more video, 2nd day out and practicing my landings, getting better but still trying to get her trimmed out for a nice landing glide slope.  My tailweel fell off, fork and all, on the last touch-and-go, so that ended the flying.  I did manage to find it in the dirt and had her ready the next day.  I'm having so much fun flying that it's going to be hard to stop and put on the gear doors and do the final paint/detailing!!  any further heip/comments are appreciated..!     Roger
http://youtu.be/DcOgGcciULg
Old 02-03-2013, 05:47 AM
youmanskids

Hey guys, here is some more video, 2nd day out and practicing my landings, getting better but still trying to get her trimmed out for a nice landing glide slope.  My tailweel fell off, fork and all, on the last touch-and-go, so that ended the flying.  I did manage to find it in the dirt and had her ready the next day.  I'm having so much fun flying that it's going to be hard to stop and put on the gear doors and do the final paint/detailing!!  any further heip/comments are appreciated..!     Roger
http://youtu.be/DcOgGcciULg
Old 02-03-2013, 05:53 AM
youmanskids

ORIGINAL: Tall Texan

Youmanskids,
What is the dimension of the DLE 60 twin from plug boot to plug boot? I can't seem to find in their spec sheets.
THANKS
hey Texan, you can see the plug boot cutouts on the above videos, its about 3/16" out on one side and 1/4" on the other. Are you doing an ESM Corsair? or just considering? Roger
Old 02-04-2013, 03:33 PM
mmflytie

Roger:
Tried to respond on your youtube page but it wouldn't go thru. Very nice job landing. I agree that you don't want to go much slower than that second day landing and do keep the nose down or parallel to ground and fly it in . The sink rate is not linear on a bird this heavy. Be glad it was just your tail wheel. You want a real heart stopper , have your main go rolling off just when you leave the ground on takeoff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYLOV-sFgQ4( check this out if you haven't already) I'm happy to report that the wheel issue has been addressed and will never happen again. Just did 2 flights this afternoon and she is flying beautifully. Engine is breaking in nicely too. I should be ready for the 4 blade pretty soon.

Happy landings
Marc

Old 02-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Orion09

Nice job landing.Was it the nylock wheel nut that let go?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.