Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Tinkered with carb too much on xtr Hurricane Nitro car, no I cant start it...

Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Tinkered with carb too much on xtr Hurricane Nitro car, no I cant start it...

Old 02-04-2013, 05:39 PM
timmyboy188

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinkered with carb too much on xtr Hurricane Nitro car, no I cant start it...

<style type="text/css"></style>

Hi guys,

So after a long hiatus of being out of the hobby, I decided to pick up a Redcat Hurricane XTR. I started it up, broke it in, and I ended up playing with the low speed needle and high speed needle too much, and now I cannot get it to start at all. I'm wondering if any of you can shed some advice on what the factory settings are on these two needles, and tips/ tricks to starting a finicky nitro even when the settings are within good range. My hands are covered in blisters!

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-04-2013, 06:06 PM
timmyboy188

Default RE: Tinkered with carb too much on xtr Hurricane Nitro car, no I cant start it...

Update: I waited 30 minutes and let my HSP glow plug charge, on the first pull it started, I took the glow plug off, and about 3 seconds after that it died. I cannot get it started back up. FYI, I've got the low speed needle flush, and the high speed needle 2 1/2 turns out. I have not messed with the idle screw.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Tinkered with carb too much on xtr Hurricane Nitro car, no I cant start it...

It could have stalled for a number of reasons, but a common one is the engine is too rich. Once you remove the glow-ignitor, the coil cools off too much from all the fuel and the engine dies.

or an air bubble in the fuel line...

or the glow-plug is going bad, which is common during break-in...

or it wasn't warmed up enough for the idle setting (for a cold engine, keep the idle high for a minute using the throttle trim on your engine)...

or various other reasons,, which I cna't think of right now, but I'm sure there are others.

Here's a link to Redcat Instruction Manuals. I looked up yours but didn't see any recommendations for Factory Needle Settings, but it might be there if you want to take a closer look:

http://www.redcatracing.com/Manuals

ps: I think I did see something about charging your glow-ignitor for 8 hours. Perhaps yours ran out of juice during that last start?
Old 02-04-2013, 08:14 PM
timmyboy188

I got it going. I adjusted the needles to what looks like stock settings. I did have my glow plug igniter charged, but I was using it today, left it on the vehilce for a minute or so when not running etc. I'm thinking I may have ran it down too much, not knowing how long it lasts, and thinking the carb was the problem, when it could have likely been the glow plug igniter was dead. Anyways, I have been starting it up fine now. I've got the glow plug igniter charging, and will be looking for one with a gauge.

These nitro engines are finicky.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: timmyboy188

These nitro engines are finicky.
That's what I like about them, but you'll find it easier as you gain more experience with them. yet, there's still days......................

Anyway, glad you got it going!