Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BMFA Jet 'C' Test

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BMFA Jet 'C' Test

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 12:40 AM
Couch Potato

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BMFA Jet 'C' Test

What does the "C" stand for ?

I think I may qualify already !
Old 02-05-2013, 12:41 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about Long Marston or Merryfield but Elvington is not free to use. Therefore, as BMFA members we are paying for the BMFA to rent this site for the purpose of these examiner days.

Also, Elvington has a limited number of days available for turbine flyers. I haven't flown a jet this year due to work/weather issues and am pretty peeved that the BMFA have rented out my field and they will only let me fly there if I am joining in with the test day. To say this has damaged my opinion of the BMFA is a bit of an understatement. I am also a little disappointed that the JMA are going along with it and haven't told the BMFA to bugger off.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 AM
Jgwright

ORIGINAL: Dizz

I think some people are missing the point.

The BMFA Achievement Scheme is completely voluntary and forpersonal fulfilment:

There are two grades;<o></o>

(a) The ‘A’ Certificate which may be equated to a<o></o>

‘safe solo' standard of flying.<o></o>

(b) The ‘B’ Certificate which is designed to<o></o>

recognise a more advanced pilot’s increased ability<o></o>

and knowledge and a demonstrated high level of<o></o>

safety.<o></o>

In addition, there are endorsements available to the<o></o>

‘B’ Certificate in various disciplines for thoseflyers<o></o>

who wish to take their personal flying standards and<o></o>

achievements further.

(BMFA Handbook page 53).

The “point†of the Jet C is that it has been introduced inresponse to requests from the membership, in the same way as the Aero and ScaleC certificates – ie they want it. Notall jet flyers are members of the JMA or attend Classic Jet meets.

The schedule has not been “dreamt upâ€, but has beendeveloped over several years and was adopted in principle at Areas Council 28Jan 12, after which it has been taken on to the state it is in now. Minutes also record that it is accepted thatas experience with the Jet C grows amendments to the schedule will probably be required(as with the A and B certs), but you have to start somewhere.

Currently there are 3 examiner days planned for Elvington (notdown south), Long Marston (in the Middle, not down south either) and Merryfield(still north of where I live). The 3venues have been freely offered for use by the 4 clubs involved with those sites. More dates at other locations will beannounced idc………if your club can offer a day for training please contact <st1lace w:st=''on''>Duncan</st1lace>.

The argument that the test will restrict flying is a redherring and carries very little weight: if a club (or other organisation) wishedto introduce requirements/qualifications to fly it already could through it’sown democratic process, as indeed some do.
I'm not sure what the relevance is, but the information I had last September (IIRC) was 16 Aero C certificates awardedto date. There is no record of how many tests have been attempted.

<o> </o>Pete

Pete

I dont think you are correct here.
My understanding was that the Jet C was proposed by a particular staff member of the BMFA and was not introduced after requests from the membership.

John

Old 02-05-2013, 06:48 AM
3dean

so how does one qualify for the examiners day? do you have to be an examiner of some kind already?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:53 AM
Geoff White

Dean,

I believe you have to be a BMFA examiner already. The focus of the workshops is to make sure all the examiners have a common understanding of what is expected to be a pass or a fail.

Geoff.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:26 AM
3dean

thanks geoff
Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 AM
Dizz

ORIGINAL: 3dean

so how does one qualify for the examiners day? do you have to be an examiner of some kind already?
Sorry, have been at work, Geoff is correct.
Pete

Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Dizz

ORIGINAL: jetster81

Dizz, I have read and re read your post and still cannot find a valid reason for implementing this test other than massaging a few egos. Absolutely no mention of anything else.

"amendments to the schedule will probably be required" if you simply must bring this in then at least get it right before implementation, or are you talking about a D certificate now?. Its a straightforward enough task for anyone with a good experience in the field and there are plenty of those posting on this thread.

" the argument that the test will restrict flying is a red herring and carries very little weight: If a club wished to introduce requirements it already could though it's own democratic process.as indeed some do" And if you continually keep giving them sticks will they not wield them?. The B certificate is perfectly adequate as has been proven very well over the years and I see no reason to superceed it, which is what will happen. If there was repeated carnage,death and destruction around the clubs and shows I would be backing this proposal to the hilt but Jet meets are well run,self disciplined events with maximum attention to H&S from what I have experienced. Other than jobs for the boys and ego inflating I truly seee no point in this proposed test.

1. Ok. One last go:
"In addition, there are endorsements available to the‘B’ Certificate in various disciplines for those flyerswho wish to take their personal flying standards andachievements further."
The Jet C Achievement scheme certificate has been introduced because it was requested. If you don't want to do it, then the BMFA isn't going to make you………..but there are lots of people who do want to take it.
2. Nothing of the sort. The test has been discussed (at length), trialled and amended to arrive at where it is now. The organisers recognise thatonce the schedule is in use in the real world and test operating experience is gained issues might arise that will result in amendment. It is obviously hoped that amendments will not be required, but to assume/expect to get it 100% right from the start would simply be arrogant and be subject to further criticism. NB changes that were made to Heli “B” manoeuvres and the debate on tweaking of the Slope A and B requirements.<o></o>

3. Oh dear, bit of insecurity there…………the “B” is not being superseded, Clubs already have the sticks available if they wish and why do you think JMA/CJ/RAFMAA (I assume they are what you are referring to) will change?

<o></o>

Pete

<o></o>

<o></o>

Old 02-05-2013, 08:46 AM
Dizz

ORIGINAL: siclick33

I don't know about Long Marston or Merryfield but Elvington is not free to use. Therefore, as BMFA members we are paying for the BMFA to rent this site for the purpose of these examiner days.

Also, Elvington has a limited number of days available for turbine flyers. I haven't flown a jet this year due to work/weather issues and am pretty peeved that the BMFA have rented out my field and they will only let me fly there if I am joining in with the test day. To say this has damaged my opinion of the BMFA is a bit of an understatement. I am also a little disappointed that the JMA are going along with it and haven't told the BMFA to bugger off.
I don't know about LM, but M'F will not cost. BMFA members also pay for a lot of other things too.
I'm sorry you feel like that, but there is one way to fly on the day - offer your services as a student for the examiers to practice on.
Pete
Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Dizz

ORIGINAL: Jgwright
Pete

I dont think you are correct here.
My understanding was that the Jet C was proposed by a particular staff member of the BMFA and was not introduced after requests from the membership.

John
Maybe, but that certainly isn't my understanding.
Pete

Old 02-05-2013, 08:59 AM
jetster81

ORIGINAL: Dizz

ORIGINAL: jetster81

Dizz, I have read and re read your post and still cannot find a valid reason for implementing this test other than massaging a few egos. Absolutely no mention of anything else.

"amendments to the schedule will probably be required" if you simply must bring this in then at least get it right before implementation, or are you talking about a D certificate now?. Its a straightforward enough task for anyone with a good experience in the field and there are plenty of those posting on this thread.

" the argument that the test will restrict flying is a red herring and carries very little weight: If a club wished to introduce requirements it already could though it's own democratic process.as indeed some do" And if you continually keep giving them sticks will they not wield them?. The B certificate is perfectly adequate as has been proven very well over the years and I see no reason to superceed it, which is what will happen. If there was repeated carnage,death and destruction around the clubs and shows I would be backing this proposal to the hilt but Jet meets are well run,self disciplined events with maximum attention to H&S from what I have experienced. Other than jobs for the boys and ego inflating I truly seee no point in this proposed test.

1. Ok. One last go:
"In addition, there are endorsements available to the‘B’ Certificate in various disciplines for those flyerswho wish to take their personal flying standards andachievements further."
The Jet C Achievement scheme certificate has been introduced because it was requested. If you don't want to do it, then the BMFA isn't going to make you………..but there are lots of people who do want to take it.
2. Nothing of the sort. The test has been discussed (at length), trialled and amended to arrive at where it is now. The organisers recognise thatonce the schedule is in use in the real world and test operating experience is gained issues might arise that will result in amendment. It is obviously hoped that amendments will not be required, but to assume/expect to get it 100% right from the start would simply be arrogant and be subject to further criticism. NB changes that were made to Heli “B” manoeuvres and the debate on tweaking of the Slope A and B requirements.<o></o>

3. Oh dear, bit of insecurity there…………the “B” is not being superseded, Clubs already have the sticks available if they wish and why do you think JMA/CJ/RAFMAA (I assume they are what you are referring to) will change?

<o></o>

Pete

<o></o>

<o></o>

Ok Pete, One last go from me also and I am prepared to listen and be persuaded. Just give me the list of reasons for bringing this into fruitition please?.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:01 AM
John Tancock

LOL

How you doing J?

All well I hope!

Not sure what the "C" stands for!

Fancy having a go, just to see if it does boost my own self esteem! LOL

JT

Old 02-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Dizz

Jetster81
Already have (twice) 
Old 02-05-2013, 09:18 AM
whitcombe

Well I am one of those 16, I believe the first officially, who sat and passed the 'C' certificate when it first came out as it seemed to make sense for an area chief examiner to actually attain the grade prior to assessing other flyers. Unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of assessing any other candidates as the 'C' aerobatics certificate never seemed to catch on? Wether the 'C' jet cert will go this way....only time will tell. But, I am willing to give it a chance as its still in an immature format which can hopefully be developed, through the workshops, into a more refined level of achievement that can give those who choose a chance to further their ability and have something to show for the extra level of dedication and hard work they wish to put into their flying.

Tim
Old 02-05-2013, 10:25 AM
siclick33

I'm sorry you feel like that, but there is one way to fly on the day - offer your services as a student for the examiers to practice on.
I thought about that but when I go to the field I go to fly. Having been involved in these sorts of things before, I anticipate a lot of talking and not much doing.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:26 AM
3dean

i may have missed it somewhere here , do we know when the info/handbook will be available for the test
Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 AM
siclick33

Out of interest, are all of the potential examiners turbine flyers? Is there a possibilty that someone taking the test could be examined by someone who has never flown a turbine before?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Dizz

They haven't been uploaded to the BMFA web site yet, but they are contained in meeting minutes. However I have draft copies and here they are (I hope! :-))
Pete
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sq45666.pdf (16.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: pdf
Mh20243.pdf (98.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 02-05-2013, 11:04 AM
3dean

thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Dizz

ORIGINAL: siclick33

Out of interest, are all of the potential examiners turbine flyers? Is there a possibilty that someone taking the test could be examined by someone who has never flown a turbine before?
No - hence the training days. The examiner requirement in the .pdf documents I posted earlier - so it is possible, but the intention stated at the various Council meetings I have attended is to have at least one examiner a jet flyer.
HTH
Pete

Old 02-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Thruster

I qualify on all accounts and will be at LM - but would also like to perform the test
Old 02-05-2013, 11:40 AM
whitcombe

Luckily I'm a fellow kero burner and Chief examiner and so I believe I would personally find it a little embarrassing if I turned up to carry out a Jet 'C' examination and was not suitably experienced in the field.

Tim
Old 02-05-2013, 02:26 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem as I see it, is that there is no test of turbine operation competence except this proposed new high level C certificate, this will be used by the uninformed and those who wish to weald a stick as a level of competence needed to operate a turbine at any BMFA club field, some club officials and committees are not open to discussion or reason on jet issues, with the best will in the world I believe this level of test is putting the cart before the horse, I would suggest that a lower level of turbine competence achievement scheme needs to be in place before this C certificate is sanctioned and becomes operational.

Mike
Old 02-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Dizz

ORIGINAL: Thruster

I qualify on all accounts and will be at LM - but would also like to perform the test
Looking at the intended timetable for the day, slots have been allocated later in the afternoon for those who wish to take the test.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:30 PM
MSSA

Ill thought certificate
Ron Sweeney, Jetster and Siclick are right. This certificate C for jets may at worst kill the jet model flying in the UK or at best delay their progress. Yes, clubs alien to jet flying will use the certificate as an excuse to discourage jet flying. Many of us flying jets are find it difficult to find clubs accepting jet pilots. Ignorance and resistance to change are the reasons behind the problem. This jet C certificate will be used as a stick to beat the jet pilots.

Walk before running
If we have to have certificates for model jet flying we should start with a simple one. Such as the A certificate for prop planes. This will require the pilot to understand the risks of high temperature turbine operation and fly simple circuits and execute safe landing. This will cover scale jets and will guide clubs to allow jet modellers.
Then a B certificate for jets will be similar to the B certificate used for prop planes. This will have aerobatics and aborted landings. This will then satisfy advanced jet pilots and can be used as a requirement for public displays only.

Mssa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.