Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Mounting OS GT-22

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Nostromo1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting OS GT-22

Hello,
Iwould have preferred the OS gt22 having the usual stand-off set up, but since it has the glow engine style side mounts, I'm facing a problem I'm hoping some folks can help with. Unlike all their other engines, OS does not offer an engine mount for this motor.Looking at the dimensions, it will not fit in the largest of Dave Brown composite mounts. Hobby Services suggested using the Dubro 688, but I'm not a big fan of the rubber isolation mounts. Are folks aware of other suitable engine mounts for this motor?Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

Default RE: Mounting OS GT-22

Take your engine to the hobby shop and get the proper fiber mount for it. That is what I had to do with my first DLE 20 which mounts the same way. Some can be found for under $15.. I been thinking about getting one of these OS motors. Let me/us know how you like it. Brian
Old 02-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I like this Hanger 9 2 piece metal mount. Reasonable price, strong, etc. and it doesn't require any drilling.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...61-2-2-HAN2033

As an alternative, the long Great Planes fiber filled mount will also work quite well.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXATG7&P=0
Old 02-06-2013, 12:11 AM
ameyam

I dont have a OS but the dle 20. I would presume the GP 120 size GRP mount would be fine. Thats what I am using on the dle. The smaller-90-120 also fits but you need to force a bit which is not recommended. Dont talk much to Hobby Services about such things, they just follow the manual

Ameyam
Old 02-06-2013, 03:26 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I've used the H-9 metal motor mount on several beam mounted 15 and 20cc gas engines. Sturdy and plenty strong and a good choice.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:28 AM
Nostromo1

Thanks for the input. My local hobby shop only has Dave Brown mounts, and their largest did not have enough width for the 22's crankcase. Ihave a Great Planes two piece nylon mount which Ithought was their largest size, but looking at the link posted I've realized they have a larger one. Two questions:Tower's website states for the 1.20-1.80 mountthat themounting width minimum and maximumare 60 and 75mm, respectively. The crankcase at the mounting flanges is 49.4 mm wide so the motor might not be wide enough. I'll have a look at the H9 aluminum mount.
With the slightly higher operating temperatures of the gas motors,have the nylon mounts proved stable over a long period (ie do engine mounting bolts loosen due to creep)?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:37 AM
Brian Smith

You might call a tower tech guy and ask?? Won't cost anything.. I used stock mounts that came with a Pulse 125. Maybe you can run those down. Brian
Old 02-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Brian Smith

You might call a tower tech guy and ask?? Won't cost anything.. I used stock mounts that came with a Pulse 125. It fit my DLE 20 perfectly... Maybe you can run those down. Brian
Old 02-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used the Great Planes .60 to 1.20 mount for putting my DLE-20 into a Revolver 70. But, as I have and many others have done is to cut the back of the mount out and epoxy the adjustable pieces back together. That way you end up with two individual pieces and adjust to any width you need.

If you look up Revolver or Larger Revolver forums, you will find what I am talking about. Plenty of chat and pictures.

P.S. You might want to provide whatever further information that you can on the OS GT 22. I have also considered this engine, but very hard to find anything out about it. It seems that the price is stopping everybody from using one. Especially, when you can get a DLE-20 for $250.00 or an XYZ-20 for $189.00. I really do not care about the $409.00 price tag on the OS. But would like some feedback before I run out in this snow storm and purchase one.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:46 AM
Nostromo1

Having made sufficient progress to require an engine for my T34 Top Flite kit, I just purchased the OS GT22 and was utterly shocked to find that they are made in China. Reasons for disappointment: The images shown on the OS website clearly show 'Japan' inscribed into the crankcase in a side view of the engine, and secondly, I've been purchasing OS engines since 1982 and they've been of excellent quality. How do they now justify their price premium over DLE and the half dozen other China made engines? No more OS engines for me.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:14 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Nostromo1
Having made sufficient progress to require an engine for my T34 Top Flite kit, I just purchased the OS GT22 and was utterly shocked to find that they are made in China. Reasons for disappointment: The images shown on the OS website clearly show 'Japan' inscribed into the crankcase in a side view of the engine, and secondly, I've been purchasing OS engines since 1982 and they've been of excellent quality. How do they now justify their price premium over DLE and the half dozen other China made engines? No more OS engines for me.
Very interesting.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:05 PM
Granpooba

Would like to know where are you getting your information that the " OS GT 22 " is made in China ?

I too have a brand new, still in the box OS GT 22. It clearly states on the box " Made In Japan " , and the engine crankcase itself has the " JAPAN " mold on it.

Is there a Japan in China
Old 03-25-2014, 02:34 PM
Nostromo1

The sarcasm is a bit unfounded. Source of information: Newly purchased unit and long conversations with Great Planes and Tower Hobbies.
Yours must be an older production unit. I just received one from Tower yesterday and it is made in China. Written on the box. No Japan inscription on the crankcase naturally. The folks at Hobby Services, or whichever company that is the sole importer for OS, said that all current and future production is out of China. The earlier units were made in Japan. Tower said they had had several complaints about this and had already checked their inventory and confirmed that all of them are indeed made in China. If a store has an older unit in a display case, it may be Japanese, but not if its new.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:42 PM
Granpooba

The sarcasm is a bit unfounded. Source of information: Newly purchased unit and long conversations with Great Planes and Tower Hobbies.
Yours must be an older production unit. I just received one from Tower yesterday and it is made in China. Written on the box. No Japan inscription on the crankcase naturally. The folks at Hobby Services, or whichever company that is the sole importer for OS, said that all current and future production is out of China. The earlier units were made in Japan. Tower said they had had several complaints about this and had already checked their inventory and confirmed that all of them are indeed made in China. If a store has an older unit in a display case, it may be Japanese, but not if its new.
Hmmmmmmmm, guess we are not to old to learn something new everyday. Now, it really makes me wonder which is the better engine, the ones from Japan or the ones from China ?

Guess we just have to look at the fact that China is producing some great model engines.

As long as either is a good running engine, we are not to worry.

But it does appear that the rest of the world is pulling the wool over the USA consumers eyes. Can't blame this one on Putin, huh ? LOL

P.S. Appears that now there is a Japan in China ................ LOL ..... Or is it the other way around ?

Last edited by Granpooba; 03-25-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:34 PM
crawbob

I just received a OS DT22 rear exhaust and it was made in Japan.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:38 PM
crawbob

As far as the motor mounts go I just received a back mount for my DLE 20 from SeaPlaneSupply.com and it would fit the OS except for the 4 holes for the rear of the motor. I contacted SeaPlaneSupply and suggested they look into making a plate for the OS since all they would have to do would be to change the motor mount holes to match the OS.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:00 PM
scubaozy

I am struggling to mount GT 22 to a Seagull Spacewalker. Original mount is too short. I have ordered 2 different adjustable mounts, one of them looks very flimsy, so I am worried to use it. The other one is Great planes 120-180 adjustable mount. It is great but carburetor does not clear at the back fully and I have to also change the direction of choke arm as choke arm is blocked by the bold. I think I have to shave the back of the mount quite a bit.
ps. Mine also says it is made in Japan
Old 08-07-2014, 04:45 AM
crawbob

You might try and make you own mount out of aluminum and use stand off mounts. I used the one from Sea Plane Supply for my DLE20 with stand offs and it worked better than the plastic mounts. It would take some work but worth it. Sea Plane Supply said they were looking into making one so you might check into it first.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:52 PM
scubaozy

Thanks for the suggestion. I am located in Europe so Sea plane supply is not an option. I started installing it using GP 120-180 adjustable mount. I will have to improvise with throttle and choke arm links as bolts of mounting are on the way. I will post a picture once I have the engine mounted. This is my first gas engine, wished it was a drop in fit..

Last edited by scubaozy; 08-08-2014 at 02:13 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:05 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by scubaozy
I am struggling to mount GT 22 to a Seagull Spacewalker. Original mount is too short. I have ordered 2 different adjustable mounts, one of them looks very flimsy, so I am worried to use it. The other one is Great planes 120-180 adjustable mount. It is great but carburetor does not clear at the back fully and I have to also change the direction of choke arm as choke arm is blocked by the bold. I think I have to shave the back of the mount quite a bit.
ps. Mine also says it is made in Japan
I also have a Seagull Spacewalker II and I will also be mounting my OS GT 22 in it. I am 99% certain that I will be using this mount http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...61-2-2-HAN2033 , as I already have one and it has been suggested by other folks.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:02 AM
scubaozy

This is how it looks with GP mount.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1442
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	2021632  
Old 08-11-2014, 06:04 PM
crawbob

Yes it will work but very crowded. The 4 pole stand offs give you a lot of room for exhaust, plug wire, etc.. On my DLE20 I used that mount and had trouble with room. Changed to the stand off mounts and had room to spare.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:22 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by scubaozy

This is how it looks with GP mount.
Looking at the picture, it appears that you did not cut or trim the mount. Did you do any cutting or trimming of the mount ?
Old 08-14-2014, 05:37 AM
scubaozy

I don't think it is visible from this angle, I have opened up two small cavities with dremel tool just enough to get the carburetor closer to the firewall. I will post another image later. I hope there will be enough air for the carburetor after I put the cowl on, as it is a bit tight there.