Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DX18 Yes or No need advise please!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DX18 Yes or No need advise please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 06:52 PM
never-enuff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX18 Yes or No need advise please!

Can some of you guys give me some feedback on the DX18. I'm trying to decide if it's what I want. Was waiting on the new JR coming out but I'm very disappointed in that. So now I don't know what to do. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks Scott
Old 02-05-2013, 07:20 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Default RE: DX18 Yes or No need advise please!

haven't flown with mine yet but I like the radio.

ease of programming, 18 channels and $ was my draw. I bypassed the 12x in hopes of acquiring the functionality this radio provides, so far I'm happy and plan to switch all my birds over this year.

plenty of other great radios with similar features.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

I like it so far. The programming is easy to learn. I don't have the expander module yet. I'm using a 12110rx and I can get 12 channels with it. It's amazing how fast you can eat up 12 channels though. I had a couple mixing issues to work around but no big deal.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:24 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the QQ version flying a Trex 600 and CARF 3m Extra 260 with zero issues. I will be using it in a SM A-10 with X-Plus this spring. I prefer the programming on it compared to the other 18 channel radio on the market.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

I don't have one but spent the better part of the last two rallies at Farview programming and flying two for guys who I fly with from Maryland and Delaware. In my opinion its a nice radio but I have mixed feelings. The price is good,but it feels cheap in my hands compared to my 10x and 12x. The duel antenna Tx is a great feature, programming is not really that hard to change over to logic wise, and the sequnecer is nice for gear doors. Both of my friends are now upset that the QQ version software is not being available to the regular version owners as they were told that software would be upgradeable down the road and we found a bug in the software when using them in pilot link mode that no one at horizon could solve during the rally but did a week later when they saw that same issue back at Horizon. I just don't need more than 10 channels most of the time and my 12x has been flawless just like my 10x has been. I was able to pick up a Weatronics 12-30 Tx and Rx for my 10x at a great price and will use it when I need more than 12 channels since it outputs all 10 Tx channels but has dual outputs freeing up four channels. In the end it is a nice radio just not what I expected as the high end Spektrum system. I feel they built it to a price point and there is nothing wrong with that but in my opinion they could have spent a few dollars on a upscale tx case instead of all plastic one and it should come with a tx case for 800$ or just include it and raise the price to cover the cost.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:19 PM
Boomerang1

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

A friend works in a model shop & ends up owning lots of different radios.
He also has to help customers with programming issues with many different systems as well
so he gets to know what works & is easy to program.

He had his previous 'best' radio stolen (a Graupner MX-22) & has replaced it with the DX-18.
I'm sure his existing model fleet being on Spektrum prevented him switching to another system.
He has had the problem of reprogramming all his existing models.

He loves his DX-18 & has no complaints, he doesn't fly jets (yet!) but has complex programming to
deal with on gliders. John.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hands down the best radio I have ever owned. I have 2x JR 12x's sat in a case gathering dust. The Dx-18 makes them look like an old Atari software wise. Much easier to use, much more flexible and versatile. Basically what you would expect of software created in this decade. I hear what everyone is saying about the case and the styling. I too took some time to adapt to it from the solid chunky feel of a 12x ( Probably the best built feel to a radio that I have flown with ) but after a while you get used to it. The important bit ( The sticks/ Gimbles) Feel great to me, and I generally tend to spend more time looking at the model than parading my TX around ( I leave that to the guys who are taking photos of their feet, or talking to their radios )
Regards Al
Old 02-06-2013, 12:53 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Highly recommended bit of kit, delighted with mine.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:16 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does spektrum offer any fuel indicator via telemetry. I know the obvious timer, but I would like to have it over telemetry. I found a high current sensor, but probably not good enough to count the fiew mAh that the fuel pump uses.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:11 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

I got my DX18 just before the weather started to turn cold. SO... I've only used it a few times. But, I can say, that it's a very nice radio. It has WAY more features than I will ever use, and the twin Tx antenna's helps with the signals. Oh... and they finally put a LiPo battery in a radio as a standard feature. I charged it in October... used it a few times... and it's still showing 80%, 4 months later.

For the price... it's hard to beat. Especially if you are already flying DSM type radios. I would have liked a 12x... but they are crazy expensive for what they can do. AND... the 11x doesn't fit well in my hands, and looks bad. AND... since JR is now changing their signal type... I wasn't going to start replacing Rx's again.

Henke: As far as I know.... they don't have any fuel telemetry.

Ron Stahl: I know there was a long discussion about the newer "QQ" software, and people being upset that they had the standard DX18. The thing is... the regular DX18 can still do all the same things that the new QQ can. The only difference is that the QQ has a few "Caned" programs now. The only feature that I wanted, from the QQ, was the 3 step throttle trim. It makes killing a turbine quick and easy. Spectrum said they didn't know if they would add it to the next update or not... but then I was shown how to make it happen with a regular DX18.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:18 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its only when you read these posts that some of the inadequacies of the system come to light, I did not know that Spektrum/JR did not have the facility to reduce the steps on the trim.

Mike
Old 02-06-2013, 05:38 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

<snip>
The only feature that I wanted, from the QQ, was the 3 step throttle trim. It makes killing a turbine quick and easy. Spectrum said they didn't know if they would add it to the next update or not... but then I was shown how to make it happen with a regular DX18.
Care to share how you got 3 step throttle trim working on the regular DX18?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:39 AM
Dr Honda

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Its only when you read these posts that some of the inadequacies of the system come to light, I did not know that Spektrum/JR did not have the facility to reduce the steps on the trim.

Mike

It does have a trim step adjustment. BUT... in the regular menu... I think it still will have 10, or so, steps. (about half of the regular "Clicks") The QQ came out with a feature for the jet guys, where, from low trim (engine off) it's only 2 "Clicks" to full. (so, it's low, mid, high) And... as I was saying... the regular DX18 can also make it happen... it's just not in the menu. (you have to adjust the model file on a PC)
Old 02-06-2013, 05:44 AM
Dr Honda

ORIGINAL: wfield0455

<snip>
The only feature that I wanted, from the QQ, was the 3 step throttle trim. It makes killing a turbine quick and easy. Spectrum said they didn't know if they would add it to the next update or not... but then I was shown how to make it happen with a regular DX18.
Care to share how you got 3 step throttle trim working on the regular DX18?

I guess I could.

I'm going to have a short day at my shop today... so I'll make a post.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:06 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike
One solution is to move the throttle trim to the left slider.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:14 AM
Dr Honda

ORIGINAL: bcovish

Mike

It's too easy to bump. (not safe) In the past... I was using the right slider for my nose wheel trim, but it would change all the time... and then I let someone fly my little T-45, and as it was going down the runway... it made a sharp turn. After that... I figured out how to use the little AUX trim up by the switches.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:35 AM
S_Ellzey

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: bcovish

Mike

It's too easy to bump. (not safe) In the past... I was using the right slider for my nose wheel trim, but it would change all the time... and then I let someone fly my little T-45, and as it was going down the runway... it made a sharp turn. After that... I figured out how to use the little AUX trim up by the switches.
Only thing I do not like on the DX18 is the digital throttle trim, if it can be set to three position that would cure that. The digital trimmers that can be assigned are great for trimming steering and setting things like gyro gains, you don't have to check when changing models to make sure they are where they are supposed to be. the sevo setup menus are great, you always have a graphical and numerical display of the commanded position. The flexability is great. Only odd thing I have come across is that you can not set the AUX1 reciever port to be called AUX1 in the programming, looks like you have to call it FLAP, AUX5 or something else, not a big issue, just odd.

When I first picked one up I had also concerns about the weight, but once you have it hanging from your neck that low weight turns out to be a good thing.

Steven
Old 02-06-2013, 07:54 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

If you are flying a $15,000.00 jet, you might want to get one.  They look like a porcupine box with way too many knobs, switches, levers to hit accidentally.  Already saw a pilot hit one by mistake.  Lucky it was crow flaps and he went the right direction.  Hard to validate spending that kind of money flying planes with flaps and gear.  8 channels is fine unless you have auto toilet, auto butt wiper, auto flush and auto septic clean out needs.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:19 AM
RCEXTRA
My Feedback: (79)

I bought mine for the transmitter antenna.

I lost a 50 cc plane due to a transmitter antenna problem. All that swivel around stuff will fail - eventually. Bad when it happens in the air. The 18x is a nice feel and is lighter - AND - the antenna doesn't move!! I guess if you like heavy you could re-fit an old Pro-Line or Orbit. The instruction are bad, but fortunately it is not hard to program. I really like the bind feature. Much more positive than on previous radios.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Ron Stahl

Tony, thanks for letting everyone know about the three set trim thing. I am one of those guys that don't replace my radio everytime a new one comes out just to keep up with the Jones's. I still use my 10X and would have never bought my 12x if the Spektrum module would have allowed me to have all ten channels instead of just nine in PPM mode.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:01 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

they need to fix the sliders. no tension in them. seems useless this way.
Scott
Old 02-06-2013, 10:44 AM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Telemetry for Jet Cat on the radios screen is a great feature
Old 02-06-2013, 10:56 AM
lopflyers

Yes, I bought mine last wk, not the QQ but the cheap one($800).
Since then I have only bound one of my planes ti it but its great. Programming is intuitive and simple. Feels good in your hands, the included Lipo battery is also very nice.
I don't regret it
Old 02-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Dr Honda

FOR THE GUYS WHO WANTED TO SEE HOW TO MAKE THE 3 CLICK TRIM WORK in the STD DX18:

I got home a little later that I was planning... and I have to run out again. I will answer questions later tonight.

OK... here's the rundown:

1) setup your model as you wish.

2) Once that's done, save the model file to the SD card.

3) put the SD card in your PC/MAC and open it in any txt editor. (I used notepad) You will see all of the info is organized, but a little cryptic.

4) Scroll down until you see "Trim" (not Trim ID)

5) The throttle channel is "Index= 0"

6) Change the "Max Trim Clicks" to 1

7) Change the "Trim Step Size" to 255

8) save the file

9) put it back in your radio, and save it into the proper model

That's it.

On the regular DX18... the menu doesn't allow that adjustment... so, if you open the trim menu in the radio, and change things... you will have to manually change it back again. BUT... you can still adjust other things (like servo info, mixing, etc) and it won't overwrite the changes you made.

I need to say that any manual changes you make... you need to be sure you know what you are doing... but I was told by Andy at Spektrum that it's impossible to "Brick" the radio with manual changes... and that they made the data readable so people could play with it.

Just an FYI: I found that if you put an entry larger than 255, you will get a memory overflow, and cause errors. If the errors are too bad, the DX18 will tell you. (lol) But... if you play with the other settings... and you mess up... just load a known good model, and everything will be fine. But, with that said... I hold no responsibility for other errors that can occur with playing with the files. BUT... the one I posted about is working fine in my radio.

****EDIT********

I had the data backwards... but it's corrected now. (sorry)
Old 02-06-2013, 02:53 PM
never-enuff
My Feedback: (11)

Ok thanks guys, lots of good stuff. I think I'm going to pick one up tomorrow!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.