Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Field Finder v.1 - Online rc flying field mapping tool

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Field Finder v.1 - Online rc flying field mapping tool

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:51 AM
apwachholz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Field Finder v.1 - Online rc flying field mapping tool

(Please Note:My original post is here:http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9525539)
February 7, 2013
Field Finder v.1 Official Release
Well, it took almost 2 years and a complete overhaul but, I made it. The Field Finder has an official version to it: v.1.0. So what does that mean? Most importantly, that I'm a total nerd but what that means for everyone else:
  1. Search functionality with proximity (e.g., search within 25 miles of 'x')
  2. Edit all field information including its location (drag 'n drop)
  3. Add a flying field anywhere on the globe
I worked with a good friend of mine for a few months on our own free time and we were able to come up with what we both felt was a pretty cool tool. So with that, I hope you like what you see. Here's to building our rc communities across the globe. Lemme know what you think!! (- andrew)
Field Finder Overview
Field Finder Location Map
http://www.controlchat.com/field-fin...-location-map/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43737.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1849237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61978.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1849238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69707.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1849239  
Old 02-07-2013, 09:57 AM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

Default RE: Field Finder v.1 - Online rc flying field mapping tool

Good for you man! I understand the nerd part! It's terrific that guys are innovating in the space. Kudos on your work!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks good I have started the same idea with the Canadian Clubs but I use Microsoft Streets and Tips so that with the GPS dongle my laptop becomes my GPS and as I drive the fields are locatable gps style on my laptop. I use the GPS co-ordinates from the MAAC web site when I start the US clubs I will use the GPS co-ordinates from the AMA site.

I used Microsoft streets and tips because all maps are importable for the different versions I am told. Second the detail is much better than most GPS units. The computer screen gives a larger viewing map. If you do not have the GPS dongle you can still print out the instructions. It is not dependant upon an internet or data connection.

The file extension is not supported here if you are interested in what I am trying to accomplish pm me with your email addy and I can send a copy of the file as it is so far. It was set up for my own private use but I don’t mind sharing it is a work in progress and subject to changes and editing as needed.

Dennis
Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry, but you app get's a failing grade from me. I put in my zip code and it shows the flying field as being at my house!!!! Reason??? Because you are using the mailing address from the AMA as the locator for the flying field. And since I am the president of the club my house is listed as the mailing address. I know that the AMA has our flying field coordinates on file, because if I go to the AMA's website and put in my zip code the link it brings up has the proper listing for the flying field, and the Google map it brings up is indeed our flying field (http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubdetails.aspx?club=820)
Trust me, there isn't a flying field at my house, as much as I would like there to be!!!
Ken
P.S. I went through the steps listed on your site to edit the location and it won't change. I've tried 4 times and it continues to list to my house as the field location.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 AM
mkranitz
Banned

Ahh the joys of bugs!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:34 PM
apwachholz

@RCKen
As far as the home addresses being "flying fields", this is due to the data the AMA had on hand a year ago. Which is where the current data was migrated from. I'm sure things have since changed but, as you can see there are quite a few broken and out of date locations. That's what I'm hoping will change as people update information.
As far as not being able update your location - that's clearly a bug!! I just did a test myself and found it not working properly either. I'll look into that tonight and post an update asap.
One thing to note: The updates don't happen automatically. They actually go into a cue that I manually check and approve. It's the double approval method for security and data integrity: 1) Captcha to prove a human changed the map information and 2) Manual approval by me to double ensure the data's good!

@mkranitz
Got ur message and will get back to you after my bug hunt!

Now on to bug fixing….
Old 02-07-2013, 03:56 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

It's not a bug,, it a bad idea to trust data that's not been verified or regularly updated,,

So when people show up at people's homes asking the home owner, "where is the flying field?" it's their fault because you've posted those addresses online without checking and verifying them first?

Half the ones within 50 miles of me are also wrong, they either point to people's homes or fields that are no longer in existence, One of which is a club field I belong to that has been closed for 10 years.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:29 PM
apwachholz

@All
Ok, we found the bug and were able to take care of it. Apparently there was a server module that wasn't installed correctly, blah, blah, blah. But we're up and running again, and you should be able to add and edit again. Sorry for the hiccup
@scale only 4 me
I understand your concern with the data but, nothing that you are seeing is information that wasn't made public by the AMA at some point. We did some data mining about 1.5 years ago from the AMA's website and we, too, were surprised there were so many home addresses for "flying field" locations. Are there some very outdated and incorrect locations? Yes. But we had to start somewhere... Regardless, my hope is that slowly we will all get the map up to date with the hobby community's help. This way we can all have a 365 day / 24 hour accessible mapping tool with information we all would like to know. Hopefully I can gain your trust and at some point show you how awesome this tool can be.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:19 PM
mkranitz
Banned

OK...now we can talk!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:26 PM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

You may have the pointer in the right place now but it shows the club contact address.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:05 AM
scale only 4 me

Edit tool didn't seam to work, I tried to fix a location for the club I belong to,, no go. I also tried to "add a location" and that didn't work either,, both clubs I belong to have two fields, of the four fields you only have one right.

Do you need to approve these changes manually or something?? they sure don't work in real time.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:54 AM
apwachholz

@scale only 4 me
Yes, I approve the changes manually so what you change doesn't automatically update. This is to ensure no "evil doers" start messing around and changing locations for no good reason (e.g., I"m angry today, let's put X flying field in the Atlantic Ocean!)I do have approximately 19 requests for changes in the cue. What state did you make changes in I have the changes from the following states: MI, VA, OH, WI, and NM.

Do you know what went wrong when you tried to add a location? OR if you want, feel free to post the location on the Feedback page and I'll get it on the map!

@bolar
The actual location is what we would like to be in the address lines. In the coming releases we're planning on including more ways to add more field information (like a club mailing address for membership, etc.) but, we're still working out the kinks on the first official release and testing the waters with everyone. Feel free to change something if you see it needs changing!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:30 PM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: apwachholz

@scale only 4 me
Yes, I approve the changes manually so what you change doesn't automatically update. This is to ensure no ''evil doers'' start messing around and changing locations for no good reason (e.g., I''m angry today, let's put X flying field in the Atlantic Ocean!) I do have approximately 19 requests for changes in the cue. What state did you make changes in I have the changes from the following states: MI, VA, OH, WI, and NM.

Do you know what went wrong when you tried to add a location? OR if you want, feel free to post the location on the Feedback page and I'll get it on the map!
They would be in Ohio, might be duplicates because I tried a few times
Old 02-08-2013, 03:17 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I live in Oklahoma. I submitted a change to the field location and it still hasn't been updated.

I don't know about when you pulled your data, but the AMA has had the coordinates on file for our flying field for the last 5 years. It's been correct on the AMA website for that entire period of time as we check it periodically to ensure that they have our field listed correctly. So I don't know what's up with your software not being able to pull the correct location of our field.

Ken
Old 02-08-2013, 03:18 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I have gone back in and resubmitted the change to our flying field.

Ken
Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 PM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: RCKen

I live in Oklahoma. I submitted a change to the field location and it still hasn't been updated.

I don't know about when you pulled your data, but the AMA has had the coordinates on file for our flying field for the last 5 years. It's been correct on the AMA website for that entire period of time as we check it periodically to ensure that they have our field listed correctly. So I don't know what's up with your software not being able to pull the correct location of our field.

Ken

Ha, I thought I was the only one who did that .
Old 02-09-2013, 05:10 AM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: apwachholz

@scale only 4 me
Yes, I approve the changes manually so what you change doesn't automatically update. This is to ensure no ''evil doers'' start messing around and changing locations for no good reason (e.g., I''m angry today, let's put X flying field in the Atlantic Ocean!) I do have approximately 19 requests for changes in the cue. What state did you make changes in I have the changes from the following states: MI, VA, OH, WI, and NM.
So here's another question,,, How will you go about verifying that those who submit changes are legit anyway?? You don't know me or If I'm really affiliated with those clubs. I can be screwing with you and how would you know?? Seams like a real time drain on you to go to the AMA site and verify changes are legit.

The tool you've invented already exists and works better for those seeking "current" AMA clubs & field locations.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

With all due respect, I think your field finder tool needs more work before it's ready for the public.

good luck
Old 02-09-2013, 07:13 AM
Propworn

For years I have been traveling with a few models every time I leave home. Sometimes the wife and I just go for a drive for the day I still have one or two models in the van. I am always on the lookout for any RC club that might be along the way. I just like meeting other modelers and getting to know them a little.

At first I spent lots of time printing off field locations and contact info and tried to refer to it along the route. It was very cumbersome.

Both MAAC and AMA had this on thier web sites but accessing it along the route was just as bad and expensive if you were trying to access it through data roaming.

I have a very nice GPS but entering locations into the unit was a pita. When I tried to use it the detail was so condensed it really didn’t give you a sense of the locations of clubs along a route. The GPS is for navigation street by street.

I stumbled on Microsoft Streets and Trips with GPS dongle by accident when my Garmin GPS quit on me during an extended trip. I could not believe the detail or just how accurate it was. Then I found out that saved maps from older versions would be usable in newer versions.

I have been plotting the fields in Canada and expect to be done quite soon. I simply open the MAAC web site and cut and paste the info to the map. It will have taken me a few weeks total off and on to do all of MAAC.

Now with tethering to my phone and the Microsoft Streets and Trips I have an excellent real time data base for flying club locations as well as an active GPS. One thing the info is only as accurate as that posted on the web site.

Without the active GPS feature I am not sure how much more useful this app will be than the standard AMA locator web page might be.

That being said who knows what will be incorporated into the app in the future. As he said it is a work in progress. He’s not asking for money or anything but advice or help with getting his data base as accurate as possible so why not give him a chance to improve it. Its no cost to any of us, I wish him luck it’s a monumental task.

Dennis
Old 02-09-2013, 07:52 AM
scale only 4 me

How is anyone not giving him a chance??

And I quote

I worked with a good friend of mine for a few months on our own free time and we were able to come up with what we both felt was a pretty cool tool. So with that, I hope you like what you see. Here's to building our rc communities across the globe. Lemme know what you think!! (- andrew)
I did just that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see anything say this is or was going to be a mobile app.. If you can access his web site you can access the AMA site also, the AMA site gives you accurate Lat. and Long., that should pop right into your GPS no problem.

That is the Data I think he should be using to build his site,, that data is 100% accurate for the 2 clubs I belong to
Old 02-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Propworn

I know the post at the bottom says in reply to "scale only 4 me" but the post was an observation of mine in general I have tried to post without this "reply to" at the bottom of the post but it appears there is no way to do this. So if you want to just make a general comment it ends up directed at someone. In no way did I mean this as a reply to your post. Other forums when you pick reply it does not link it in any way to any other post in the thread. To do that you have to choose "quote". Again my apologies your ideas are as valid as any others that have been given. Perhaps this inability to make a general post just to the thread is one reason so many degenerate to an all out confrontation.

If anyone knows how to post without it putting “in reply to” at the bottom please tell me this is annoying.

PS scale only 4 me the data that you suggested is the data I have been using on my map. No GPS coodinates I don't log the club until I find them out. Even then some must not know how to read thier GPS because some are in the middle of a lake.

Dennis

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

How is anyone not giving him a chance??

And I quote

I did just that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see anything say this is or was going to be a mobile app.. If you can access his web site you can access the AMA site also, the AMA site gives you accurate Lat. and Long., that should pop right into your GPS no problem.

That is the Data I think he should be using to build his site,, that data is 100% accurate for the 2 clubs I belong to
Old 02-09-2013, 08:39 AM
apwachholz

@Dennis
Peek at the image attached. If you just hit "Reply" at the bottom of any thread, you don't have to deal with the mis. reply to boxes. Took me a bit to figure that one out as well...does that help?

@All
Have some details on the Field Finder hiccups coming soon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74227.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	1849915  
Old 02-09-2013, 08:42 AM
Propworn

Test
Old 02-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Propworn

I have tried that before it just picks the last one in the forum and uses that as "reply to" This one probably replies to Propworn which was my post for "test"
Old 02-09-2013, 09:08 AM
apwachholz

@All
We uncovered a hiccup with the Field Finder storing information and that's why some entries are not showing up. We have the submitted entries but, they're not showing up after being approved. I guess it's all part of the process; bugs 'n all. Sorry for the issues and we'll keep working on it. Thanks for the feedback!
@RCKen
I believe I have your locations information updated now. Unfortunately due to the hiccups in the database your field shows up 4 times in a search.Well, that's not all bad I guess. More exposure for your club, right? We're working to resolve the duplicates.
@scale only 4 me
I'd like to address a few of your comments:
"The tool you've invented already exists and works better for those seeking "current" AMA clubs & field locations." - scale only 4 me
One of my goals with the Field Finder is to create a map that allows you to click around and just browse locations. Another part is to give the rc community the ability to edit whenever they want. Why? Eyes in the field are the ones who know best - so I opened the door. Does this rely on trust? Absolutely. And I hoping the rc aviation community is willing to support this idea.
"With all due respect, I think your field finder tool needs more work before it's ready for the public."
Yes, I do have some bugs and hiccups. But I had to start somewhere and this was as good as any location to begin. I'm hoping over time and with more people contributing (and my bugs are worked out) this will become a "living" online model aviation tool. I'd like to evenually make it global. Regales, I do appreciate your honesty Scale.
-aw
Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 AM
Propworn

test

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.