Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

CRRC GF50I 50cc great deal or got screwed? We will see.

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

CRRC GF50I 50cc great deal or got screwed? We will see.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:19 AM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: CRRC GF50I 50cc great deal or got screwed? We will see.

Noticed a genuine walbro, thats better than the "best" china engine offers.

I have a crrc26v1 got it second hand, the ignition was junk (really weak spark) and the engine had a hard life from the previous owner, the clown had fitted a version 1 front prop adaptor to a version two hub, run out was visible. Fitted the correct prop adaptor and new ignition, she runs great. I stripped the whole engine and the internals were spot on.

As my 26cc is a old design (piston ported) side carb engine it lacked a bit power compared to the modern rear intake reed valve and is a bit heavy, its not fitted to a model just now (has flown a 1/4 scale pitts with no issues) but will eventually end up in a 1/4 scale cub.

I think they addressed the ignition problem years ago so hopefully you dont have a first generation one, apart from that I think your 50cc engine will do you ok on a 27% airframe. not the lightest or most powerfull but with proper set up and a 32/1 oil mix should run well for years.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:56 PM
r/coldie
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the new Edge !!! I had the same plane until a couple of months ago. It was a fantastic flying plane.....Just a warning, since this is your first gasser, make sure you use Loc-tite on any screw that is metal to metal. The vibration that any gas gas engine produces will try to shake every screw loose.That's what happened to mine. After flying one day, I did a screw check on the whole plane,I found out that by tightening a screw with Loc-titeon it allowed the screw to back out as if there wasnothing on it at all. Theright aileron servo screwbacked out and the aileron started to flutter and that was all she wrote.I had a Quadra 42 in mine, so yours should go like a bat out of hell !!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Checklst

ORIGINAL: r/coldie

Congrats on the new Edge !!! I had the same plane until a couple of months ago. It was a fantastic flying plane.....Just a warning, since this is your first gasser, make sure you use Loc-tite on any screw that is metal to metal. The vibration that any gas gas engine produces will try to shake every screw loose.That's what happened to mine. After flying one day, I did a screw check on the whole plane,I found out that by tightening a screw with Loc-tite on it allowed the screw to back out as if there was nothing on it at all. The right aileron servo screw backed out and the aileron started to flutter and that was all she wrote. I had a Quadra 42 in mine, so yours should go like a bat out of hell !!!!
Yaks!!!!!!!!Vary good point (coldie) I just noticed in his first set of pictures on the 50 there are no locks on the engine standoffs...................if using loc-tite...OK....I still use lock washers and blue loc-tite........without anything she will loosen up.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:15 PM
joncammarata

You are absolutely right about making sure everything is locked down. I will do a thorough job of adding lock-tight, lock washers, and lock nuts where ever I possibly can before maiden flight. I didn't have them on in the pictures but I actually have a another set of nuts that go behind fire wall as a lock nut. I will replace the 4 washers behind the red standoffs with lock washers. I am sure I have some arround here somewhere.

OK, I didn't get as much done on the plane as I planned today but I did make some headway. I put the stickers on (not perfect, I could have done better I think). Put the gear on also. I discovered that my kit had 2 left side Wheel Pants. No Right side pant anywhere. *GRUMBLING* SO that kind of frustrated me and decided to call it a night. So the plane will be pantless for awhile. I did snap a picture of the left side with the pant on so you all could see what it would look like.

I am packing up everything and heading to my Father-In-Laws house tomorrow. It is much easier to work at his house and that is where we fly also. We call it "Cow Pie Airfield". My father-in-laws name is Chip Hatley and is the fellow that is responsible for getting me back into the hobby. He has been flying for about a year now and is doing real well. We both love the hobby. I should also mention that he bought me the EDGE for X-mas. Best present ever. I am taking the camera and computer. Hopefully i'll be able to show you guys the first start on saturday and first flight on sunday or monday. I still have a good bit of work to do with the servo's and electronics but I will stay engaged with the project all weekend and with some luck get it ready to fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81994.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	1841603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59508.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	1841604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51879.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	1841605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53307.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	1841606   Click image for larger version

Name:	It98887.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	1841607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iz37333.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	1841608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hj88337.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	1841609  
Old 01-18-2013, 01:23 PM
joncammarata

GREAT NEWS! I was going to save this until the end of the project but I decided to go ahead and let it out. A buddy at work told me today that he would do a custom airbrush on the nose and another buddy said he could make me some laser cut decals to match the theme. I had been kicking around some ideas on how I could dedicate this project to the heroes from my unit that lost there lives last year. I didn't want it to be cheesy so I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to do something that my fallen friends were worthy of. My friend (Rodney Hall) had a really good idea. I think it will be a worthy tribute to the four brave men that lost there lives protecting American citizens, homes, and ground fire fighters. I am going to keep the details to myself until It is done. It will likely be a month before it is complete. But don't give up hope on the rest. I am still on schedule to get the plane running and flying before the end of this 3 day weekend. Stay tuned for the videos and pictures. OK so here is the story about my fallen friends.

I get choked up every time I share this story but I wanted you all to know what your information, advice and donations are helping me create. On July 1st, 2012 Lt. Col. Paul Mikeal, Maj. Joseph McCormick, Maj. Ryan David, Master Sgt. Robert Cannon died when there aircraft went down during an airborne fire fighting mission. These men knew the risks of these missions but still put themselves in harms way because that was the kind of people they were. They were the epitome of courage, strength, and all four were humble servants to not just Americans but anyone that was threatened by natural disasters and foreign enemies around the world. I/we miss them so very much.

Please watch the video (You will see interviews with some of these heroes before they left for there last trip) Please, don't let this get you in a sour mood. All of these men were joyful and happy individuals that would much rather us celebrate there life than mourn there passing.

<iframe width="420" height="315" frameborder="0" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R9RExWsD-EM" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
http://youtu.be/R9RExWsD-EM

News Report HERE.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:36 PM
joncammarata

Well ran into the first issue with this engine. The square nut slots on the head for the exshaust were way to small. I had to remove a great deal of metal to get them to fit. I finally got it though. I snuck a picture of my father-in-law also. He and I are heading out in the morning to get gas, oil, and some gas safe fuel line then we are gonna crank this bad boy for the first time. *fingers crossed*
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65314.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	1841950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95414.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	1841951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68024.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	1841952  
Old 01-26-2013, 09:17 AM
joncammarata

Got it started! Sorry for the late post. Had a little family issue. Had trouble getting the pump wet enough to work.
<iframe width="560" height="315" frameborder="0" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3wO2OdL4mI4" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
Old 01-26-2013, 11:20 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: joncammarata

Got it started! Sorry for the late post. Had a little family issue. Had trouble getting the pump wet enough to work.
<iframe width=''560'' height=''315'' frameborder=''0'' src=''http://www.youtube.com/embed/3wO2OdL4mI4'' allowfullscreen=''''></iframe>
http://www.youtube.com/embed/3wO2OdL4mI4
Old 01-26-2013, 11:54 AM
r/coldie
My Feedback: (2)

I bet your arm is tired..... congrats !!!! Would you be interested in a pitts style muffler?. I bought the same engine and the muffler that came with it { crrc pitts } won't clear my firewall on my Giles. I am looking to trade my muffler even up for an original side exhaust.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi there Jon, good to see some progress.
Getting the carb to draw for the first time can be a pain, but if it keeps doing that open the low needle a bit.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:26 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

I saw a couple things to note. It seemed as if the engine was trying to run and when finally did you had to throttle it to keep it going. The condition got less as the engine warmed up. This is a good indicator that the low needle should be opened up a tad. You may want to think about your mount a little more. I have a feeling that the aluminum rails you have there are going to vibrate and break. If you think about it, the way they are positioned creates a stress riser and focuses all the stress on a small area. Lastly, I never fire up a gasser with the wings off as they tend to dampen alot of vibration that is going into the fuse and tail. Welcome to the world of gassers, I'm sure you will enjoy the airplane.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:44 AM
ian51291

Ive been running one of these engines in a Black Horse Gilmore for over 12 months and not had any trouble with it,,stock ignition but like everyone i changed the plug,running it on 40-1 synthetic and turning a 22x10 wooden prop,i also have a CRRC 55 Twin and 2 Gp26r's and had no trouble from any of them,lot of engine for your money and easy to get spares if needed.good luck with yours

Ian
Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 PM
joncammarata

UGGGGG, Horrible news. The plane flew like a champ the engine runs like a charm. The maiden flight was about 20 minutes. Then refueled and went back up. after 20 minutes I decided to land to do some tuning and check nuts and bolts. My airfield has trees at either end of the runway. I generally just whip my planes arround inside the field and land but I wasn't that comfortable with this plane yet. So I stretched out my approach to make what I thought would be an easier landing. when I throttled back to start coming around for the final approach my motor stay at dead idle and I had strong head wind. I had full control with the exception of throttle. I went back and forth with the stick a few times but got nothing. Once I realized i wasnt going to clear the trees I turned toward the neighbors field. It didnt go well. The strong head wind became a killer tail wind and I stalled and couldnt recover. I don't know what caused this. The batteries were immediately checked and all was good. Father-in-law suspected an ignition issue because he said it sounded funny when it went down. I think it sounded odd also but can't be certain. I also checked the throttle servo and rods and all seemed to be working just fine. we put together a test stand and ran the motor with same battery, fuel, plug and etc. but the engine ran great. I dont get it. What on earth would cause this. Anyway, I need to order a fuselage and repair the wing when I get the funds. My flights were not demanding at all. I dont think I went over 60% throttle. I climbed straight up for about 4 seconds once at 50% but i didnt do any hovering or knife edges or anything. Just basic low G flying.

Can these ignitions make my reciever think it has low battery? Can Ignition interference make a single servo (throttle) move un commanded one way or another. The throttle servo was about 6 inches from ignition battery.

I'm Lost! Don't forget, I am an aircraft mehanic by trade so it is driving me nutz not knowing what happend.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:54 PM
joncammarata

ORIGINAL: r/coldie

Would you be interested in a pitts style muffler?. I bought the same engine and the muffler that came with it { crrc pitts } won't clear my firewall on my Giles. I am looking to trade my muffler even up for an original side exhaust.
Sorry bro, I would have traded but the fusalage dented the can pretty good. It wouldn't be an even trade. Next time I get out to my father in laws I'll take some pics.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:05 PM
Checklst

Ignition interference can jump to the throttle servo(trouble for sure)and even travel back to the receiver......I can't tell from your pictures or video where you servo is mounted.... close to the ignition? Is your throttle servo rod all metal? if plug cap was not on tight interference can occur?

hope this helps a little.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:03 PM
joncammarata

ORIGINAL: Checklst

Ignition interference can jump to the throttle servo(trouble for sure)and even travel back to the receiver......I can't tell from your pictures or video where you servo is mounted.... close to the ignition? Is your throttle servo rod all metal? if plug cap was not on tight interference can occur?

I used the plastic push rod that came with the model kit. All my electronics were mounted pretty far back with the exception of the rudder and throttle servo. I dont have a good picture of where everything was. I mounted the ignition battery for easy access about 6 inches forward of the throttle servo. everything else was atleast 12 inches or more apart.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:41 PM
bcchi

ORIGINAL: Checklst

I used the plastic push rod that came with the model kit. All my electronics were mounted pretty far back with the exception of the rudder and throttle servo. I dont have a good picture of where everything was. I mounted the ignition battery for easy access about 6 inches forward of the throttle servo. everything else was atleast 12 inches or more apart.

Have your Ignition done,just need to test run it.I no it is OK but I test run anyway.Will send soon with engine stand offs and NGK spark plug.Don't give up on me. I am old and slow.LOL Have been working on airplanes.Winter here now.
BCCHI Grumpy old man no two. AMA 2500 Sorry about your airplane.Most of my planes are rebuilt arfs,from others crashers. I have been building models for many years Started in about 1944. Right after WW 2.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:16 PM
joncammarata

No worries at all Mr. Carpenter. I hope You are feeling better. Take your time. I suspect the weather will get better along with your health so that you can have a fun filled flying season come spring.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:06 PM
bcchi

No worries at all Mr. Carpenter. I hope You are feeling better. Take your time. I suspect the weather will get better along with your health so that you can have a fun filled flying season come spring.
Parts went out today along with some extra goodies. Sorry about your airplane.Make sure you are getting the cap all the way down on the spark plug.I sent you a NGK plug .The RCEXL cap fits NGK much better then champion.But still goes on hard.Wire snap ring must be all the way past the hex on the spark plug when cap is all the way on .This is the cause of most of the problems with the RCEXL ignitions . I do use the RCEXL caps.Are you flying 2.4.? I am feeling pretty good.At least the only time I hurt now is when I am awake or when I breathe.
I am Bill,Grumpy Old Man no two.AMA 2500
Old 01-30-2013, 04:56 PM
joncammarata

Wow, Thats great Mr. Carpenter. I am very happy to hear that you are doing well. I can't wait to see the goodies. You really dont know how much I appreciate it. It could not have come at a better time. I get so much joy from this hobby and at this point in my life I so often have to put it on standby due to economic responsibilities. It was a hard hit when My plane went down but I will being flying again in no time. I have a buddy that said he would help me out if I built his computer for him and gave him some spare hardware that he needs. It seem that the harder times are the more fate, karma, god or whatever you may believe in is looking out for me.

I am using 2.4 (TH9X). I know it is a cheap radio but I hard wired the main board and am ready to upgrade the software as soon as my programmer arrives. I have a hand me down FrSky Module that is ready to be put in the radio also. So basically all I need is the FrSky reciever and it should be a pretty solid radio system. it was all stock when i had the problem.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:50 PM
thevirginian

joncammarata, search for this engine in this forum. There is another thread somewhere, way back. BTW, I have the same engine and I am very happy with it. It is an incredibly strong engine thqat also runns very smooth, thanks to the three bearing on the crankshaft. I did have one problem at the very beginning that stalled my motor on landing approaches. It was not hard to firgure out what caused the motor to quit when I throttled back to idle. There is too much lateral play in the crankshaft. When ever the motor runs at least half throttle the thrust pulls the prop with the crank forward. But when you throttle back the crank is somehow pushed back and the prop hub starts rubbing against the crank housing. That did cause my motor to quit every time. I simply increased the gap between the hub an the casing using emery cloth to sand it down with. It almost requires two people to do this job. For that I had only my spinner installed and ran a powerfull electric starter to crank the motor over. Needless to say I removed the plug before. After that sanding job the engine ran great without any quitting during landings. Mine came with the Rxcel-Ignition and a NGK-6 from the vendor. Does yours have the automatic choke?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:17 PM
joncammarata

Thats good info thanks for posting. As for the choke, If you mean the one that automatically releases when I throttle up, then yes i do have that type choke.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:36 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

No time to read thread but marking for feature use thanks .... paid $223 total W/ 3 day shipping from China off EBay.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:24 PM
robotfan
My Feedback: (14)

What happened to this thread? Last post is #73 and the plot just ended. Did JonCammarratta get a new fuselage and wing? Did he receive the new ignition? How does the airbrushed nose look? How about the tribute to the fallen firefighters? Inquiring minds want to know...