Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Getting back into the hobby!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 06:26 AM
yannicksjh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into the hobby!

Well after a couple years out of the hobby i've decided I needed to lightly get back in with at least one RC (i don't race, just like trying a bunch of diffrent one's out, hop'in them up, tinckering, cleaning them etc). I sold everything off because I was pretty busy with babies, business and found myself with no time to play. Now that the kids are a bit older I thought why not.

Decided I'd try the micro heli thing out being winter and all. So, I bought a few micro heli's (MCX2, MSR X, Nano CPX and also a DX6i to fly them). They are fun and definately need lots of practice but still needed to get a land vehicle to calm my habbit.

So..... I bought a Traxxas Summit AGAIN (had a few in the past), A traxxas 1/16 vxl revo, traxxas vxl rally ken block and losi mini 8ight (all used but in like new condition).

Best part is that I bought all these with in a month, what is wrong with me?????

Pretty sure I'll see another baja 5b sitting in my hobby room with in the next coupe months, lol

Later
Old 02-08-2013, 07:18 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Getting back into the hobby!

Welcome back to the money pit

Get yourself a 1/8th brushless truggy. Trust me.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:32 AM
yannicksjh

Money pit it is, seems like lipo's alone can break the bank, lol. I'll look into a 1/8th truggy. Looks like there's a lot of nitro truggy conversions out now.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:56 AM
Foxy

hobbyking.com for cheap batteries.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:25 AM
yannicksjh

Thanks, i've heard of them but never purchased. Is their shipping reasonable? I see your from Greece so shipping would be different of course
Old 02-08-2013, 10:14 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

they have warehouses world wide
there is a warehouse in the USA too so dunno how much canada socks ya on duties as they ship USPS, I know UPS shipping from the US to canada is friggin ludicrous on what they sock you at your door for the delivery(as told to me by one of my friends that lives there), but dunno how you guys get stuff thats shipped USPS
Old 02-08-2013, 10:30 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: yannicksjh

Money pit it is, seems like lipo's alone can break the bank, lol. I'll look into a 1/8th truggy. Looks like there's a lot of nitro truggy conversions out now.
depends on what brand lipos you buy. Mine only cost $30 a pop.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:37 AM
yannicksjh

Yup, fed Ex and UPS brokrage fee's = RIDICULOUS!. IF I buy something used it must be agreed that it is sent USPS when crossing countries. I'll use them Canada wide with no problems. They charge like 25% on top of the duties for brokrage and handling fee's. So all together with the duties it equals to like 38% in fee's of total value when they get to your door. Not to mention you most likely already paid the seller for the original shipping fee's to begin with.

Example being that I once bought a used 5B from some gentleman in Florida. We agreed USPS but then once he got a shipping quote from USPS (because of the size and weight) he thought he'd save us (or him) some money and ship UPS with out notifing me. Once it arrive I had to pay $230 in duties and brokrage fee's on top of the $60 i had already paid for shipping. Worst part was that he refused to refund me anything or ship it back at my expense. At that point i was already $60 deep for the shipping plus would have been another $60 to ship again, (plus I really wanted it), so i just paid the $230 and kept it. LESSON LEARNED!!!!

I'm guessing having lipo's shipped to Canada could be an issue considering I was told USPS no longer ships Lipo's, is this true??????

thanks guys
Old 02-08-2013, 11:17 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Yup, fed Ex and UPS brokrage fee's = RIDICULOUS!. IF I buy something used it must be agreed that it is sent USPS when crossing countries. I'll use them Canada wide with no problems. They charge like 25% on top of the duties for brokrage and handling fee's. So all together with the duties it equals to like 38% in fee's of total value when they get to your door. Not to mention you most likely already paid the seller for the original shipping fee's to begin with.

Example being that I once bought a used 5B from some gentleman in Florida. We agreed USPS but then once he got a shipping quote from USPS (because of the size and weight) he thought he'd save us (or him) some money and ship UPS with out notifing me. Once it arrive I had to pay $230 in duties and brokrage fee's on top of the $60 i had already paid for shipping. Worst part was that he refused to refund me anything or ship it back at my expense. At that point i was already $60 deep for the shipping plus would have been another $60 to ship again, (plus I really wanted it), so i just paid the $230 and kept it. LESSON LEARNED!!!!

I'm guessing having lipo's shipped to Canada could be an issue considering I was told USPS no longer ships Lipo's, is this true??????

thanks guys
recently asked my local PO lady that question. Lipos can be shipped usps. I think it has to be mentioned whats in the box tho.
Hobbypartz.com ships via USPS and I buy lipos many times from them.
They may ship to canada as well. Most 2s, 5000mah packs are $25-$30. 3s 5000mah run $30-$40....and shipping is free on orders over $50. I actually have MORE lipos than I need because of sites like hobbypartz. Had I bought my lipos at a hobby shop I would only own 2. But instead, I own 6!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:22 AM
yannicksjh

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

thanks guys
recently asked my local PO lady that question. Lipos can be shipped usps. I think it has to be mentioned whats in the box tho.
Hobbypartz.com ships via USPS and I buy lipos many times from them.
They may ship to canada as well. Most 2s, 5000mah packs are $25-$30. 3s 5000mah run $30-$40....and shipping is free on orders over $50. I actually have MORE lipos than I need because of sites like hobbypartz. Had I bought my lipos at a hobby shop I would only own 2. But instead, I own 6!

Definately going to look at their shipping details. I'm in the market for a couple 2S 5000-6000mah, a couple smaller 2S and 3S that fit the 1/16 vxl's and the mini 8ight

thanks for the info.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:30 AM
yannicksjh

Well, just looked at hobbypart.com shipping policies and this is what I found:

NOTICE: Effective May 16, 2012 the Postal Service™ Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Serves, listed in the Domestic Mail Manual section 601.10.20, codify that primary lithium metal, lithium polymer, lithium alloy (non-rechargeable) cells and batteries or secondary lithium-ion cells and batteries (rechargeable) are prohibited when mailed internationally, and to or from an APO, FPO, or DPO location. Until such time that a less restrictive policy can be implemented consistent with international standards, and in accordance with UPU (Universal Postal Union) HobbyPartz, NitroPlanes, Xheli, NitroRCX, and RaidenTech will not ship lithium batteries that are not permitted in international mail in addition to Alaska and Hawaii.

The Department of Transportation’s (DOT) regulation for shipping Lithium batteries has taken notice of the additional hazard material handling in which HobbyPartz, NitroPlanes, Xheli, NitroRCX, and RaidenTech opt to act accordingly. This will prevent any express shipments listed by the suppliers above from shipping UPS and USPS 1 day and 2 day air. This does not include shipments involved within the continental United States by USPS or UPS ground.

Looks like its UPS or I gotta find a descent retailer with in Canada
Old 02-08-2013, 02:50 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

NOTICE: Effective May 16, 2012 the Postal Service™ Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Serves, listed in the Domestic Mail Manual section 601.10.20, codify that primary lithium metal, lithium polymer, lithium alloy (non-rechargeable) cells and batteries or secondary lithium-ion cells and batteries (rechargeable) are prohibited when mailed internationally, and to or from an APO, FPO, or DPO location. Until such time that a less restrictive policy can be implemented consistent with international standards, and in accordance with UPU (Universal Postal Union) HobbyPartz, NitroPlanes, Xheli, NitroRCX, and RaidenTech will not ship lithium batteries that are not permitted in international mail in addition to Alaska and Hawaii.

The Department of Transportation’s (DOT) regulation for shipping Lithium batteries has taken notice of the additional hazard material handling in which HobbyPartz, NitroPlanes, Xheli, NitroRCX, and RaidenTech opt to act accordingly. This will prevent any express shipments listed by the suppliers above from shipping UPS and USPS 1 day and 2 day air. This does not include shipments involved within the continental United States by USPS or UPS ground.

order from china on hobby king shipping might take a while though unless you pay for the upgraded shipping

I'm quite shocked none of our Canadian members have chimed in on how they get batteries yet.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:15 PM
yannicksjh

Think i'm going to start a mini thread on it, just to see where canadians are getting their lipo's from
Old 02-08-2013, 04:51 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

totally forgot, thats the other thing the PO lady said, she didnt think I could mail a lipo outside usa.
sucks. Hobbypartz is a good site to buy from too.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:57 PM
JoeMaxx

http://towerhobbies.com/ordering.html#phi

http://www.horizonhobby.com/content/...ender-shipping

Tower hobbies seems to ship to Canada at a reasonable price and I would also look at Horizon Hobby.  But I believe that Tower Hobbies will ship to you  across the border to Canada from the USA.

Now I have ordered from Hong Kong a few times thru http://www.rcmart.com/  for my hard to find Mugen MTX 3 parts and have nothing bad to say about them. 

I have never dealt with Hobbyking but have heard good things.

just attempting to provide a few more resources but live in the USA so I have little knowledge on international shipping.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:35 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: JoeMaxx

http://towerhobbies.com/ordering.html#phi

http://www.horizonhobby.com/content/...ender-shipping

Tower hobbies seems to ship to Canada at a reasonable price and I would also look at Horizon Hobby. But I believe that Tower Hobbies will ship to you across the border to Canada from the USA.

Now I have ordered from Hong Kong a few times thru http://www.rcmart.com/ for my hard to find Mugen MTX 3 parts and have nothing bad to say about them.

I have never dealt with Hobbyking but have heard good things.

just attempting to provide a few more resources but live in the USA so I have little knowledge on international shipping.
they won't do lipos reasonably as they would try and ship it UPS at that point he could probably buy 2 at his LHS just for how much he'll get slammed by them
Old 02-09-2013, 07:28 AM
yannicksjh

^^^^^^ exactly...... A lot of places have descent pricing, great customer service but when it comes to international shipping, it's out of their control for end cost.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:07 PM
JoeMaxx

Sorry to hear this and wish you had a LHSclose by to sell at a decent price. I must say we are spoiled here in the USA and wish other countries had the same deals we can get