Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

MK Super Chipmunk 120s Design/Build

Old 01-31-2013, 02:46 PM
80sPattern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MK Super Chipmunk 120s Design/Build

David Oxilia and Ihave a thread over on the "other" site. Wanted to make sure we didn't miss anybody.

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php

Doug
Old 01-31-2013, 03:18 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: MK Super Chipmunk 120s Design/Build

Nice work on that Duug. I find RCUs rules somewhat confusing at times. Do they allow us to post links to other sites that require registration?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:35 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Very nice work producing the electric version!
MK released the original Chipmunk, Laser, Spinks and Zlin kits around 1983. They were popular enough that MK produced ARC versions of all 4 (built from the MK kit, of course). The slightly larger 'S' version was released around 1987. I don't know why MK released the second Chipmunk kit and I would like to fly them both on the same day to compare, but I do know that Naruke flew a Chipmunk at the TOC and I suspect it may have been a personal favorite of Mr. Naruke and Mr. Kato. There may have been some marketing strategy, too, as you could get the later Chipmunk S with rearward retracting MK retracts. MK also produced two versions of Quique Somenzini's Extra 300 FAI adaptation; a 2 meter version (including retracts) and a '90' sized version which was actually a bit bigger than their previous 120 sized semi-scale offerings (I'd still like to find the 90 sized kit). They all fly very well and were quite competitive back in 'the day'.
Are the plans for the electric version available? I' d like to build a bigger version powered with an OS 140RX.
I'm looking forward to reading the flight reports!
- Will
Old 01-31-2013, 09:42 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Will,

great info.

Size aside, the version we designed isn't quite conceived for a full blown 2-stroke tuned pipe. The model does present plans with a small tuned pipe on a 120 4-stroke. I'm not sure how well the larger and longer 140 pipe would fold into the design. Any thoughts?

What dimensions are you thinking of? I assume we're talking 2x2? 78" span? That would be only ~9% larger...

David
Old 02-01-2013, 02:34 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi David,
Yeah, the pipe on the 140 is pretty big! I would just hang it under the wing - not exactly hidden, but functional. As far as size, my enlarged Chipmunk would not be for competition; so I am not constrained by the FAI restrictions.
How many orders have you gotten for your very nicely engineered electric version?
- Will
Old 02-05-2013, 09:50 AM
80sPattern

The window for getting one of our "one time only" short kits is about to close.

Go to the RCG to get details. Right now we have seven orders.

Doug
Old 02-05-2013, 10:40 AM
doxilia

ORIGINAL: flywilly

Hi David,
Yeah, the pipe on the 140 is pretty big! I would just hang it under the wing - not exactly hidden, but functional. As far as size, my enlarged Chipmunk would not be for competition; so I am not constrained by the FAI restrictions.
How many orders have you gotten for your very nicely engineered electric version?
- Will
Will,

I see. While Hanno's Calypso was designed that way, his earlier large Dalotel had a dual pipe tunnel much like how SRT is building his 60 size Dalo.

But I'm curious about this. Do you have a side view drawing of the OS 140? The current 120 e-version is sized to MK spec: 71.4" span and 60" length. What dimensions do you have in mind for the 140 version? Does a piped 140 pull a 2m model along nicely? Would it be better if it was a tad smaller, say, 75" span? That would be a 5% enlargement.

David

P.S. Thanks for your kind words regarding the 120 e-version. We're looking forward to building them. As Doug says, about 8 of them in all thus far.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:21 PM
80sPattern

Current talley: 10 Super Chipmunks

the window to order is closing for good 2/10/13 at midnight!

If you want one, come on over to RCG and PM me or forever hold your peace!

Doug
Old 02-09-2013, 12:53 PM
doxilia

Doug,

I'll assume folks can PM you through RCU if they don't have an RCG account.

Just letting people know in case you want to be #11.

David