Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

ASP FS91AR Valve Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Rcflyyer1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASP FS91AR Valve Adjustment?

My ASP FS91AR is having a really bad time idling. It is mounted semi-Inverted on a Hangar 9 P-47 60 so I know it is not a fuel problem since many people have the same setup as me with no problems. Whenever the engine goes below 3500

RPMs then it either quits or runs rough then quits. I need it to run perfet since I plan to maiden it soon. I suspect it is the valves and the manual told me to adjust them anyways after the break in run which was done exactly as the manual stated.

But I am really confused at the moment. I don't want the valve to be to close since I heard it can damage the pushrod or the valve and I don't want it to be too far out either since I don't want it to break something else.

When inserting the feeler gauge, do I move it back and forth while turning the adjustment screw or do I just rest the feeler gauge in place until the screwdriver stops? Also, does the valve setting have to be exactly perfect? If it is a little bit off will

it affect how the engine runs? Also the exaust valve, does that need a different setting then the other valve? How do I set it to idle better?? AH!! So many unanswered questions in my mind!Please help me, I will appreciate it a lot!! Thank you.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:53 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ASP FS91AR Valve Adjustment?

The piston should be at the top of the cylinder with both valves closed. You should be able to rock the rockers and they will move a little. That is the position you check it. With the gauge you slide it in and out, feeling for drag as you pull without moving the valve. Snug but not lifting the valve open when tight.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:55 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I say moving the valve, I mean because they are so small the slightest side pressure will un seat it giving false readings. You have to be careful.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Normally when an engine runs rough for a few seconds and then quits the low speed needle is set too rich. It slowly cools the glow plug then quits. Valve adjustments can really be off, (loose) and not effect pereformance much. They won't tolerate any, (too toght).