Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

3D CAD Files

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

3D CAD Files

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Hustler58
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 3D CAD Files

Is there anyway RCU can create a forum that people can put CAD files so others can use? Or is it a big hassle? I get asked for files all the time. I don't mind sharing, just think it would be easier if they could be access in a forum.

Butch
Old 02-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Ravivos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3D CAD Files

This is a great idea, if everyone will share their CAD designs, ideas and plans, it would be a great way increase the knowledge of this community.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:28 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How big would the files be?

What file format were you thinking of.

What would you do about copyright?
Old 02-10-2013, 04:40 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think this is a great idea. My son is learning solidworks in high school (and is pretty good at it) so we are going to start building a library of the most common components that we use. Receivers, servos, batteries, etc. He is also learning how to design his first plane and with access to a 4 axis CNC Mill we are going to try and build a couple of airplanes. Any help we could get or anything that we have after we get going we would be happy to share. I do believe solid works can export to most formats, but when putting on a forum there should be a standard file format.

Patrick

Old 02-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Hustler58

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: j.duncker

How big would the files be?

What file format were you thinking of.

What would you do about copyright?
3 good questions. Maybe I opened a can of worms!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:16 PM
bela

Hey Butch,

I don't think its a can of worms. I think its a brilliant Idea actually. I get asked for cad files constantly. While I wouldn't put up blood sweat and tear work, I wouldn't mind doing more basic stuff like cockpit basic tubs, huds, basic seats and basic hoods. stuff like that.

These files would be small, and as long as people only submitted files they themselves created, copyright wouldn't be a big deal I think.

Actually one of the best ideas I have heard on RCU in a long time.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Use .DXF or .IGES file format for sharing files.
Clearly name the files and if more than one is used then number them in sequence as well.

The file sizes are probably going to be very large so it would be better to list what you have to offer and then send compressed folders to people upon request. There are other solutions of course but may require managing a site like on part of a server someone has, Im not sure.

As for copyright I would suggest that if your willing to put it up on a public forum your making the design public domain and release your rights. Its a donation to the model community.

Also state what software and version was used to design the parts because some have issues importing others files. Having two versions can help like IGES and DXF. This helps when using Solidworks and Pro E for example.
Also an older Solidworks file can be opened on a newer version but a newer file cannot be opened on an older version. This may be the case when trading native files between like software.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:27 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Great Idea, I have a bunch of AutoCAD 2D files....
Old 02-10-2013, 07:32 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

super idea ! We just got set up with SolidWorks, and Have a CNC router and a laser cutter on the way So far for what I need Solidworks seems pretty straight forward and intuitive ... I have more experience with 2d and video editing, but a lot of concepts are similar i guess . I have learned a lot by lookin at sample files or what others have posted. Having a library of model related cad files would be awesome !

~V~
Old 02-10-2013, 08:12 PM
bela

Maybe even just providing renders and cross sections would be useful for guys with no cad ability. then all those other points would be non issues. I really like the idea of helping the scratchbuilders in any case.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:29 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Now if there waa a high resolution 3D printer service available that was affordable...
Old 02-10-2013, 08:40 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: invertmast

Now if there waa a high resolution 3D printer service available that was affordable...

there are a few out there ( like Sculpteo.com or Ponoko.com) , but pricing varies ...

I have been looking at some 3d printing solutions that may be more economical the there are a lot on the way ... like this one .

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ion-3d-printer

light cure 3d printing can be as fine as 10microns .. but its SLOW .. still not bad for someihtng you can even build yourself for under $2K ... I think a few more years and 1000+ dpi desktop 3d printing will be here for under $2K, and at a reasonable output speed

~V~
Old 02-10-2013, 10:43 PM
Ravivos

Hi wojtek,
the kickstarter.com projects are great, i am currently building a laser cutting machine and got a lot of ideas from them.
having CAD database (2D or 3D) would be great so people can share their ideas... this is what open code is all about.
once my laser cutter will be done, wouldn't mind cutting a few parts out of this database for fellow members here on RCU.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:49 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: wojtek

ORIGINAL: invertmast

there are a few out there ( like Sculpteo.com or Ponoko.com) , but pricing varies ...

I have been looking at some 3d printing solutions that may be more economical the there are a lot on the way ... like this one .

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ion-3d-printer

light cure 3d printing can be as fine as 10microns .. but its SLOW .. still not bad for someihtng you can even build yourself for under $2K ... I think a few more years and 1000+ dpi desktop 3d printing will be here for under $2K, and at a reasonable output speed

~V~
Yea i have tries those places.. And for the highest resolutiom they have on some of my cockpit pieces (so switches can be printed) the price for one of four side panels was $600+, and instrument panel was $1500+. So either what i want is unrealistic (possibly) or technology just needs to catch up to my expectations. Haha
Old 02-11-2013, 04:38 AM
MaHo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about this?!
http://www.shapeways.com/

If its to expensive your to thick

regards Martin
Old 02-11-2013, 05:27 AM
CafeenMan

By law any work you create is copyrighted the moment you start on it. Protecting your copyright is another matter. You have to be able to prove you had it before the guy who stole the work from you. I have heard that the idea of mailing it to yourself and not opening the envelope doesn't really work.

Oh, and you don't need to register a copyright or anything like that if you don't want to.

Anyway, you can copyright your CAD files and still give them away. That doesn't void the copyright. If you wanted to you could include a statement that this file is free for you to use for your own personal purposes but may not be used for commercial purposes. If someone did then it would become a matter of are you willing to put up the money for a court battle.

For everyone who doesn't care about any of that and just wants to share then it's not even an issue and I also think it's a great idea. Of course that's easy for me to say. I don't do any CAD work. All my drawings are done on the drafting table. For something easy that I want fast I fire up CorelDraw only because I know how to use it a lot better than I know how to use CAD.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:49 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: MaHo

How about this?!
http://www.shapeways.com/

If its to expensive your to thick

regards Martin
resolution isn't good enough last time i checked with them, but the price was right.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:30 PM
warbirdfanatic

I think it's a fab idea,

I'm constantly on the look out for new plans. When designing my own DXF's I do a neat little trick to catcht the Pofiteers out there, When doing panel lines, make sure you add a twist by intergrating your own initials, formers also help, on my Concorde mould I've integrated D/M into the false access panels on the wings so that if someone dare try copying my mould I will find the people who did it!

Make sure you incorporate initials or a logo into joins that would be very awkward for somebody to rework, M's and Z's work well for former joints and ribs as there's constantly guys in the UK ripping people off by selling their plans!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:30 PM
ollie witt

Have you guys seen www.grabcad.com lots of RC stuff already on there. A really usefull resource that you could use for this purpose.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:19 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Butch you could get a free 5 GB on dropbox or google drive for that matter and just host it yourself. I use Solidworks and I would love to browse your designs but I don't want to bother you with email requests.

I think you would still need to manage access, I am not sure you can make either place globally accessible but I might be mistaken.

www.dropbox.com

drive.google.com