Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Byron Corsair Build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Byron Corsair Build

Old 05-02-2012, 03:06 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Byron Corsair Build

i am just finishing mine up and hope to have it ready for early summer

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19231.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1757944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23434.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1757945  
Old 05-03-2012, 07:07 AM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks Nice Dave!
I love the fabric detail on the elevators. Are you going to weather it, or give it a light wash to highlight those great panel lines?

Scott
Old 05-03-2012, 05:15 PM
WhoDaMan

Hi Scott:
Thank you, I know , she needs it, I wish I could, but I am not that good at dusting, Looking at a friend help with it, looks to new

Dave
ORIGINAL: Fly2XS

Looks Nice Dave!
I love the fabric detail on the elevators. Are you going to weather it, or give it a light wash to highlight those great panel lines?

Scott
Old 06-12-2012, 01:32 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: AMA234

Craig,
Not sure if you have gotten to it yet or not, but I wanted to let you know of an issue I had with using the Dubro hinges for the tail wheel doors. I tried your same method, glueing the hinges to the inside of the fuse and the doors and the edge of the doors would hit the skin before opening even 1/2 inch. I even tried shimming the door side of the hinge with 3/32 inch ply but all that did was cause the door to stick out farther from the skin . What I ended up doing is ripping them off and I am thinking of using BVM offset door hinges. I will admit that rigging door hinges has not been my cup of tea, but I have found that the offset door hinges always work well for me. I guess if you were to use a continous strip of piano hinge as is on the full scale, the hinge line gap wouldn't be noticed as if you only use 3 Dubro hinges. Maybe you had better success with how you did it and can educate me on how to rig doors using the Dubro hinges?

Maybe I will opt for the piano hinge after all instead of the offset hinges... not sure...depends on what I can get the quickest. WhoDaMan?....... Need input.

Here are a few pics of the cover I made for the retracts.

Les

i know this is an old thread but that access panel cutout for the gear is a really good idea. going to use it on my corsair .
Old 08-07-2012, 04:30 PM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: AMA234

Craig,
Not sure if you have gotten to it yet or not, but I wanted to let you know of an issue I had with using the Dubro hinges for the tail wheel doors. I tried your same method, glueing the hinges to the inside of the fuse and the doors and the edge of the doors would hit the skin before opening even 1/2 inch. I even tried shimming the door side of the hinge with 3/32 inch ply but all that did was cause the door to stick out farther from the skin . What I ended up doing is ripping them off and I am thinking of using BVM offset door hinges. I will admit that rigging door hinges has not been my cup of tea, but I have found that the offset door hinges always work well for me. I guess if you were to use a continous strip of piano hinge as is on the full scale, the hinge line gap wouldn't be noticed as if you only use 3 Dubro hinges. Maybe you had better success with how you did it and can educate me on how to rig doors using the Dubro hinges?

Maybe I will opt for the piano hinge after all instead of the offset hinges... not sure...depends on what I can get the quickest. WhoDaMan?....... Need input.

Here are a few pics of the cover I made for the retracts.

Les

AMA , would love to see the hatch process pictures. you did a nice job
Old 12-14-2012, 08:43 AM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: Canuck1

Have been doing some fiddling around this weekend. I was looking at the cooling vents for the wing. They look ok, but I think I will scale them up, give it some relief to make it look more realistic. I glued the alum spar to the plywood insert. This will slide into the wing, and is epoxied in place. Just checking for fit right now. The starboard wing was not cut deep enough so I needed to remove 5/16th of an inch for a proper fit. A hacksaw blade made this an easy task. I hope tomorrow I will have a little time to do at least one wing, just need to make sure it is aligned well, so the sheeting will be flush with the fibreglassed part when it is attached.

Craig.
canuck, i'm building another corsair and i'm fitting the wings . i was wondering if if you used the method recommended by byron? according to byron , you're supposed to raise the wing tip up to 4 1/4" using a template that you make. when i did this , the wings to me looked like they should go higher and they butt up to the fuse much better when i do. if you still have the original byron manual can you confirm the 4 1/4 " tip height recommendation? i have a iron bay manual and i don't trust it . thank you WB_1
Old 01-05-2013, 06:55 PM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

In case you hadn't found out yet.

Name:	Rp42877.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1837191  
Old 02-10-2013, 01:07 PM
ColeTrane
My Feedback: (1)

I just picked up a built orig Byron Corsair for little bit of nothing, the old man whom I purcahsed it from was the orig owner and did a SUPERB job many many moons ago. He wasnt confident when it was built, but thought it was early 90's. Its powered with a Sach 4.2 on a Byron tube mount, but it does not have the "Purr-Pwr" setup either. To the guys that have/had the Sach's engine, are they reliable? Parts avail? Mine still has the orig CH mech advance ign setup...has anyone upgraded the Sach 4.2 to a auto-advance(current) CH ignition? Ill post pics tonight, but minus batts,prop its sitting at 22lbs...
Old 02-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Fly2XS

ORIGINAL: ColeTrane

I just picked up a built orig Byron Corsair for little bit of nothing, the old man whom I purcahsed it from was the orig owner and did a SUPERB job many many moons ago. He wasnt confident when it was built, but thought it was early 90's. Its powered with a Sach 4.2 on a Byron tube mount, but it does not have the ''Purr-Pwr'' setup either. To the guys that have/had the Sach's engine, are they reliable? Parts avail? Mine still has the orig CH mech advance ign setup...has anyone upgraded the Sach 4.2 to a auto-advance(current) CH ignition? Ill post pics tonight, but minus batts,prop its sitting at 22lbs...
Nice!
I bought a second Byron Corsair that had the same set-up. It was clear that several people had owned it but all were too intimidated to get it to fly. I pulled the engine and removed the Byron's Powr Prop (too hard to get new blades) and sent it to C&H for a prop hub conversion and an electronic ignition conversion. They ran it up and it works great! I need to finish updating the airframe (lose the Futaba S148 servos on the ailerons!), rehinge the flaps and put a spar in the horizontal stab before its ready to fly.

Scott
Old 02-10-2013, 02:55 PM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: ColeTrane

I just picked up a built orig Byron Corsair for little bit of nothing, the old man whom I purcahsed it from was the orig owner and did a SUPERB job many many moons ago. He wasnt confident when it was built, but thought it was early 90's. Its powered with a Sach 4.2 on a Byron tube mount, but it does not have the ''Purr-Pwr'' setup either. To the guys that have/had the Sach's engine, are they reliable? Parts avail? Mine still has the orig CH mech advance ign setup...has anyone upgraded the Sach 4.2 to a auto-advance(current) CH ignition? Ill post pics tonight, but minus batts,prop its sitting at 22lbs...
sachs had a good setup for it's day . the throttle coupled spark advance was nice because it made the engine tune able and let it start easy. but they do now have a new setup. which i'm sure is the way to go.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:56 PM
warbird_1

i'm finishing up the tail group covering and will post pics soon
Old 02-10-2013, 06:05 PM
WhoDaMan

Just finishing mine

Name:	Ca80533.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1850597  
Old 02-10-2013, 08:23 PM
ColeTrane
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Fly2XS

Nice!
I bought a second Byron Corsair that had the same set-up. It was clear that several people had owned it but all were too intimidated to get it to fly. I pulled the engine and removed the Byron's Powr Prop (too hard to get new blades) and sent it to C&H for a prop hub conversion and an electronic ignition conversion. They ran it up and it works great! I need to finish updating the airframe (lose the Futaba S148 servos on the ailerons!), rehinge the flaps and put a spar in the horizontal stab before its ready to fly.

Scott
Wow, 2 Byrons?! Awesome! Yea the 3-blade prop that he gave me dosnt look too solid of a peice. I mean the hub looks great, but blades themselves appear too flimsy. Im beginning to wonder if I should pull the Sach's and send it to CH for an update. I read your post about the lack of a aft stab spar.....I will make sure mine has something back there!

ORIGINAL: warbird_1

sachs had a good setup for it's day . the throttle coupled spark advance was nice because it made the engine tune able and let it start easy. but they do now have a new setup. which i'm sure is the way to go.
Thanks for the info bud....I have no issue flying it with the mech advance setup, but Id sure feel a bit better if the ign box was at least opened up and tested. Is the Sach 4.2 heavy in comparison to a late model 70cc single? Power wise?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:45 PM
TripleDeucer

WhoDaMan, has the Hellcat flown yet? I picked one up that needs a bit of repair and am wondering how yours flys. I have a new Walker Sachs 4.2 with C&H ignition for mine. Thanks, Mark
Old 02-10-2013, 09:20 PM
WhoDaMan

Hi Mark I have the same setup in the Hellcat, I am just finishing them up and have yet to fly them I did put belly tanks on the Corsair, just waiting for some magnets to hang them I will post pics when done, I like the three blade and I am running a three blade menz on the hellcat, My fist corsair that I owned lasted 10 years and I like the three blade, Less tail wag and it fly's around 100 MPH
Dave
Old 02-11-2013, 04:18 AM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: TripleDeucer

WhoDaMan, has the Hellcat flown yet? I picked one up that needs a bit of repair and am wondering how yours flys. I have a new Walker Sachs 4.2 with C&H ignition for mine. Thanks, Mark
i had a byron hellcat. they fly very good. a ***** cat
Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 AM
TripleDeucer

Warbird 1, that is good to hear. As far as the Byron line goes, I think there were way less Hellcats sold in comparison to the Corsair, Mustang, and Zero. That makes them a bit more scarce to find. I was standing beside the owner/pilot when mine went in shortly after take-off. It had control problems in the tail. I'm going to rebuild some strength into the stab, like a strong spar. Right now it sits with both sides of the stab floping down.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Fly2XS

That was a common problem with the early designs. They thought that epoxying the stab halves to the fuse then binding them with a 1/16th inch thick ply trailing edge was enough. Some of the Byron Hellcats also had issues with the fuse flexing just in front of the tail. Many builders would reinforce the inside of the fuse with some CF strips.

If you look in Canuck's build in this thread you'll see he added the spar to the Corsairs stab. Starting at Post #33.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:20 AM
TripleDeucer

Good info there, Scott. I really appreciate the help.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:55 PM
WhoDaMan

Almost done

Name:	Ig12847.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1852991  
Old 02-17-2013, 12:19 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The Hellcat generally makes for a very good flying model if at least a modicum of care is taken when building it. While I have not personally flown the Byron all reports from those who have is that it is one of the best flying fighters produced by them. Good friend, scale competitor, and all around good guy Austin Goodwin has built two beautiful Byron Hellcats. I don't think Austin would mind if I shared some pictures of his efforts.

Hellcat #1 photographed in 2004

And his recently completed second Hellcat from the Byron kit.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:03 AM
TripleDeucer

Hey Chad, thanks for posting those two beautys. I can see three things I don't have. A scale tailwheel, sliding canopy option, and gear doors. I'll have to get to looking around. I might have the gear doors somewhere. It's been quite a few years since I got this thing. I did get a new cowl and canopy way back then. I also have the Byron tailwheel assy for the P-51/ P-47 that I might just use. I see a fork assembly on these two. Was that a Byron product?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:39 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Years ago one of my Buds had the Hellcat. It was an amazing flyer.. It's just difficult to think there are many better flying planes out there. You'll love it.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:54 AM
WhoDaMan

Chad those a awesome
Old 02-17-2013, 08:07 AM
drifter
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Chad, thanks for posting those two beautys. I can see three things I don't have. A scale tailwheel, sliding canopy option, and gear doors. I'll have to get to looking around....
One asset you might try to locate is the May 2007 issue of Flynig Scale Models.

There is 1/6 hellcat construction article that used some Byron parts.
It shows the sliding canopy construction, and the gear door construction. The tail wheel did not retract, but looked good.

There are also detailed 3 vues (Bentley) and some pics of the full size.

Now, back to the Corsair.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.