Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Volcano EXP help

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 05:30 PM
Rambo.kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volcano EXP help

Hello folks.

Im pretty new to RC cars so please bear with me.

I put a newEZRun 12T 3300KV Brushless Motor and aEZRun 35A ESC (1:10 / 35A) into my sons car and I also got a Volcano EXP Pro. My question is why is the Pro smoking the EZRun? The only thing we changed in my sons car was the motor and the ESC. Is it the ESC or a gearing problem?

Any help would be appreciated. My son is pretty disappointed that Dads car is faster.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:43 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Volcano EXP help

ORIGINAL: Rambo.kid

Hello folks.

I put a new EZRun 12T 3300KV Brushless Motor and a EZRun 35A ESC (1:10 / 35A) into my sons car and I also got a Volcano EXP Pro. My question is why is the Pro smoking the EZRun? The only thing we changed in my sons car was the motor and the ESC. Is it the ESC or a gearing problem?

Any help would be appreciated. My son is pretty disappointed that Dads car is faster.

Im assuming your epx pro is a current model, and thus the answer is 2 part:
1, the pro has a true 540 can motor. the ezrun you put in the other is likely the 380 size motor in the finned out can. still plenty of power, but not as much torque as the blue novatech 540 motor in the pro models.
The second is that the pro (and this is cause of the 540 motor) has a ezrun/hobbywing S-10 ESC. I read somewhere that it is either a 45 or 60amp speed control. So you have a ESC that can provide more amps to a motor with more torque.

Again, Im assuming you have a current version epx pro....and that both trucks are using the same battery and gearing.

the epx with the new system is much faster than the stock brushed right?
Old 02-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Rambo.kid

Both motors are brushless, the EZRun motor say's(Suitable for[/b]: 1:10 RC-Car, using 540 size motor) but doesnt say it is a 540. and yes the Pro is alot faster.
ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

Hello folks.

I put a newEZRun 12T 3300KV Brushless Motor and aEZRun 35A ESC (1:10 / 35A) into my sons car and I also got a Volcano EXP Pro. My question is why is the Pro smoking the EZRun? The only thing we changed in my sons car was the motor and the ESC. Is it the ESC or a gearing problem?

Im assuming your epx pro is a current model, and thus the answer is 2 part:
1, the pro has a true 540 can motor. the ezrun you put in the other is likely the 380 size motor in the finned out can. still plenty of power, but not as much torque as the blue novatech 540 motor in the pro models.
The second is that the pro (and this is cause of the 540 motor) has a ezrun/hobbywing S-10 ESC. I read somewhere that it is either a 45 or 60amp speed control. So you have a ESC that can provide more amps to a motor with more torque.

Again, Im assuming you have a current version epx pro....and that both trucks are using the same battery and gearing.

the epx with the new system is much faster than the stock brushed right?
Old 02-11-2013, 05:58 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

right, both are brushless and the outside is the same size.....but the one you bought is a smaller rotor on the inside.
Its possible your radio calibration is off and its not going full throttle. try recalibrating.
Can you confirm the pinion gears are the same size? The original brushed motor may have used a smaller pinion than the epx pro does. that would make a difference. even 2 teeth less will result in a good 3-5mph slower.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Rambo.kid

right, both are brushless and the outside is the same size.....but the one you bought is a smaller rotor on the inside.
Its possible your radio calibration is off and its not going full throttle. try recalibrating.
Can you confirm the pinion gears are the same size? The original brushed motor may have used a smaller pinion than the epx pro does. that would make a difference. even 2 teeth less will result in a good 3-5mph slower.
I will have to check the gears and try recalibrating. Do you think ESC is OK? The Pro is 60amp.

Me head is spinning from everything I need to learn but we are having alot of fun.

Thank you for your help.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:42 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I will have to check the gears and try recalibrating. Do you think ESC is OK? The Pro is 60amp.

Me head is spinning from everything I need to learn but we are having alot of fun.

Thank you for your help.

the 35a system is fine. The caldera 10e uses the same ESC/motor you put in the volcano. It is a bit less powerfull than the pro's 60a esc and 540 motor. But it should still do 30mph or better (depending on gearing and what battery type you are using)

If its not any faster than the stock epx brushed system, then something isnt setup right at all.

count the teeth on the pinion gears on each truck. since both motors are the same KV you should be using the same size pinion gear on both.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Rambo.kid

Yep, different size pinion gears,

17T on the EXP
21T on the EXP PRO

Anyone know what size pinion thecaldera 10e uses?