Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Favorite/Least Favorite thing to wrench

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Favorite/Least Favorite thing to wrench

Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Ttowntoolman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Favorite/Least Favorite thing to wrench

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Ha, the power of speech and opposable thumbs is what separates humans from the great apes. You're halfway DEvolved back to apedom! lol. Just kidding, what happened though if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry, but that is funny!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

Getting to the durgas diffs. Like do you really need that many screws to hold on a diff cover..?

I second that notion!

I dislike fiddling with ball diffs, but really enjoy gear diffs. Used to hate rebuilding shocks (darn those tiny e-clips that go flying), but lately I enjoy it. Maybe I've mastered the e-clip.

I like tearing down and building in general, love seeing it all come together again. Hate fiddling with the steering toe-in to get it JUST right - I'm a perfectionist, so it drives me nuts, but at the end of the day I just bash, so "close enough" is good enough to be honest.

I don't mind gluing tires, except when I drip glue on the sidewall and it's not perfect looking anymore. I hate that.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:15 PM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dislike removing and replacing a D8 caterpillar transmission but anything RC is a cake walk after that greasy ugly mess!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:02 PM
On2_n_On4

after reading some of these... no wonder there are more rtr cars and less kits in the rc market
I like wrenching more than driving... even if they don't need it.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:45 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: On2_n_On4

after reading some of these... no wonder there are more rtr cars and less kits in the rc market
I like wrenching more than driving... even if they don't need it.
I go threw spurts lol, sometimes I like working on them and sometimes I just don't feel like it.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:22 PM
turok007

well i damaged my hand/thumb a long while ago. but it was made even worse when my novak powered cen matrix decided to climb my arm and hit my thumb. i just looked and i still have the tire marks on my arm. it happened in may lol one down side is im having to use a steering wheel controller. i cannot stand them but i have no real choice. im even thinking about getting a ipad mini as my normal ipad hurts my hand as it is to heavy.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

None of the "wrenching" activities bother me. In fact, I enjoy most of them, however I detest painting. Absolutely loathe it. Mixing paint, masking, runs, bleed-throughs, waiting between coats... all horrible events! And then when it's done, I have to fight with stickers around compound curves, and they just won't conform !!!

"I alwaze dips me brush to de bottum uf de can, evn wen its ful !"
Old 02-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Dads like rc too

After coming home from working on elevators, in the environment I'm in, there's really nothing i hate about maintaining my fleet. It's very calming for me.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:05 PM
JohnP2

I agree "DadsLikeRCToo" (my favorite handle, BTW). I find this hobby VERY theraputic. I can burn 3-4 hours in nothing flat jacking with my rc cars.

Just to be clear to everyone, as the OP, the question was not "Do you like or hate to wrench?". The assumption was those who answered are the type - like me - who LOVE to work on their vehicles. Aswith anything you love, there are things you like better than others on things you love. ;-)

I've really enjoyed the responses. This weekend, I get to do one of the things I LOVE (and some people dislike) and that is paint/cut a new shell. One of my friends at the track actually LOVES gluing tires (I don't)....and heoffered to do a set for me. Makes me so proud to be in this hobby. Whether it is nitro/electric/surface/air/water .... it's one of those things you either "get" or you don't. ;-)

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

I agree ''DadsLikeRCToo'' (my favorite handle, BTW). I find this hobby VERY theraputic. I can burn 3-4 hours in nothing flat jacking with my rc cars.

Just to be clear to everyone, as the OP, the question was not ''Do you like or hate to wrench?''. The assumption was those who answered are the type - like me - who LOVE to work on their vehicles. As with anything you love, there are things you like better than others on things you love. ;-)

I've really enjoyed the responses. This weekend, I get to do one of the things I LOVE (and some people dislike) and that is paint/cut a new shell. One of my friends at the track actually LOVES gluing tires (I don't)....and he offered to do a set for me. Makes me so proud to be in this hobby. Whether it is nitro/electric/surface/air/water .... it's one of those things you either ''get'' or you don't. ;-)

Thanks!
Ok, I get it so I'll play along. Obviously there has to be something you like less than other things. For me I guess it's like John said...the diffs. I love working on them, just some of them can be such a pain to get to. Once your in there I love setting them up or tuning them with different fluids.

I also agree that you can just burn up some time without realizing it. I tore down a new rtr for a friend two weeks ago. I started at around 9:30 pm and before I knew it , it was 1am when I was done shimming and loc-tighting. Then I broke it in for 6 tanks over the weekend. Wife not very happy...oh well!
Old 02-16-2013, 09:42 AM
pcarluvr

Like:
1. pretty much everything, that's why I got into it

Dislike:
1. Mostly Shocks but it comes with the territory!

LOVE:
1. BEAD LOCKS!