Ice Boat or Sled

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Ice Boat or Sled

Old 02-11-2013, 06:59 AM
Johnk71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ice Boat or Sled

Just looking for feedback on this thing I built. I had it on skis, but on other than packsnow or Ice, turnning was an issue at low speeds. Its on a kids sled and moves out. I need to stableize it somehow. So any suggestions would be appreaceated.

Here is a YouTube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oay6Erw6kM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9muW0CRVAco
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16262.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1850778  
Old 02-11-2013, 07:14 AM
dadkins

Default RE: Ice Boat or Sled

move the boat back a little on the sled - so the rudders are hanging off the back, right now the engine is almost centered, should be 1/3 of the way from the back.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Johnk71

<xml><w:WordDocument><w:View>Normal</w:View><w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom><w:PunctuationKerning /><w:ValidateAgainstSchemas /><w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid><w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent><w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText><w:Compatibility><w:BreakWrappedTables /><w:SnapToGridInCell /><w:WrapTextWithPunct /><w:UseAsianBreakRules /><wontGrowAutofit /></w:Compatibility><w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel></w:WordDocument></xml>

ok will do! what do you think about adding a front fin? or should I just see how moving it works first? This is just something I have been playing with for years, but it always get airborne….

<xml><w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"></w:LatentStyles></xml><style> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style>
Old 02-11-2013, 05:51 PM
71dartswinger

Try tilting the front of the motor up giving front down force
Old 02-12-2013, 07:21 AM
Johnk71

it is tilted, maybe 10 degrees at a down angle. my thinking was that it would provide a downward thrust?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:48 PM
71dartswinger

ORIGINAL: Johnk71

it is tilted, maybe 10 degrees at a down angle. my thinking was that it would provide a downward thrust?
if it was a pusher yes it would but as a puller do the opposite nose down thrust is up nose up
thrust down therefore pushing the nose of boat down

Old 02-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

if it was a pusher yes it would but as a puller do the opposite nose down thrust is up nose up thrust down therefore pushing the nose of boat down.
Pusher/puller doesn't matter. You just have to define what "up" and "down" actually mean. 'Up' means the front (bow) end of the prop shaft is angled up relative to the water surface. This applies a downward pressure on the front of the boat. 'Down' means that the front of the shaft is angled down relative to the water. This will loosen the hull up.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Johnk71

Ok.... you two know why more then I....  Please look at the thing that we built and suggest (or tell me) what we should do to keep it from taking flight... Please.  All I know is from what you (two) are saying is that up is down and down is up in relation to the bow and the pitch of the prop? Right?
Old 02-12-2013, 05:31 PM
71dartswinger

ORIGINAL: dadkins

move the boat back a little on the sled - so the rudders are hanging off the back, right now the engine is almost centered, should be 1/3 of the way from the back.
try one thing at a time do this first

then if it still wants to fly angle the front of motor level then down as needed (have to try it) then adjust

it took me about 10 runs to get my tour boat to stop bouncing

Old 02-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Johnk71

Will Do. Thank you!