Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

What lipo are you running with caldera 10e and or Hurricane or Avalanch?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

What lipo are you running with caldera 10e and or Hurricane or Avalanch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 02:55 PM
wildbills rc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What lipo are you running with caldera 10e and or Hurricane or Avalanch?

Im currently running a 5800 2cell 30 lipo in my caldera 10e with no issues and its pretty beastly. Can these cars take a 11.1 v lipo and if not why? Also, what does a 11.1 v give you over a 7.4 volt? More power? Also, Im about to buy either a avalanche xte or a hurricane xte and need to know the best lipos to use in them. Iknow they come with 3600 lipos but I am def going to want more runtime. Should Ijust use the same 5800 lipos Iuse for my caldera? The one Iuse in my caldera is a hexfly and I got it for 67 bucks. Doesnt seem to bad of a price. Any other brand recommendations
Old 01-03-2012, 03:08 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: What lipo are you running with caldera 10e and or Hurricane or Avalanch?

OK, the caldera "can" run on a 3s lipo...
you have to 1st change the fan on the ESC to run off the rx. Stock it gets power from the ESC, and if left that way on 3s the fan will die.

So, after you wire the fan off the rx....you can run 3s. Now, it will be a big difference in speed and power. This will cause more wear, especially on the wheel hubs. a buddy of mine ran his one 3s, and had issues keeping the front hubs on(granted, he is young and bashed the truck hard)
Also, he managed the shred the tires on 3s.

Lastly, on 3s lipo it my cut power if the motor gets to hot. Back to back 2s lipo packs is no issue....but back to back 3s packs my cause the ESC to go into over-heat protection(cuts power to the motor)

So, my suggestion is to only do high-speed runs on a 3s. No bashing or offroad, or you will just end up having to make repairs on the caldera. But if you re-wire the fan it will be safe to run a 3s on the street....for when you have the need for speed

OK, onto the XTE...you are on the money....just get 2 packs like the one you got for your caldera. They will add a tad more power over the stock lipos...and almost double the runtime.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:40 PM
wildbills rc

Default RE: What lipo are you running with caldera 10e and or Hurricane or Avalanch?

thanks you are the man. I maybe thought since thexte 1/8 models were higher end they mightbe able to take 3-4 cell lipos. Also, are there any other 2 cells that are higher than 5800 to get even more run time?
Old 01-03-2012, 04:34 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: wildbills rc

thanks you are the man. I maybe thought since the xte 1/8 models were higher end they mightbe able to take 3-4 cell lipos. Also, are there any other 2 cells that are higher than 5800 to get even more run time?
i know i have seen some 6000mah packs.
i think max amps makes some 8000mah packs.

the XTE is higher end...but the pair of 2s lipos get used in series, thus the esc gets 14.8v and not 7.4 like the caldera.
the esc is a 80amp ezrun. 4s capable.
trust me, its a crazy fasy esc/motor combo. I had the earthquake 8e...which uses the same esc and lipos. 50mph and insane wheelies with that truck. the XTE is heavier, but also much more durable IMO.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:52 PM
wildbills rc

sweet, I think Ill get a Hurricane xte an use too 5800 lipos. Cant wait to hit the track and some jumps. What do you think about the monsoon xtevs the hurricane xte?
Old 01-03-2012, 07:00 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

sweet, I think Ill get a Hurricane xte an use too 5800 lipos. Cant wait to hit the track and some jumps. What do you think about the monsoon xte vs the hurricane xte?
i prefer the buggy look of the hurricane over the truggy look of the monsoon myself.
other than body and tires, they are basically the same.
the monsoon's wider tires may mean better traction. but larger tires will also effect "in flight" control. with 4wd's, you can change the attitude of the truck by giving it throttle or tapping the brakes while in the air. the larger the tires are...the greater the effect is.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:38 PM
wildbills rc

how about the 1/10 tornado vs. The hurricane? Would the tornado with my 5800 lipo be faster than the hurricane with dual 5800's? I'm sure the hurricane is more durable and upgraded correct?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:16 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

how about the 1/10 tornado vs. The hurricane? Would the tornado with my 5800 lipo be faster than the hurricane with dual 5800's? I'm sure the hurricane is more durable and upgraded correct?
speed wise they would be pretty close. the tornado (which i have owned) is a very quick buggy on 2s lipo. Its also pretty light.
still, i would say top speed may go to the hurricane. the ESC puts out alot more amps, and double the voltage.
In a straight line, it would be a close race.
But on a track, the hurricane would blow away the tornado(sorry for the pun)
The hurricane has a better suspension, tires, shocks, and drivetrain setup. and its larger size means less rolling over in turns and much better handling on the jumps.

I do miss my tornado epx pro. It makes a good basher. I upgraded the shock towers on mine and ran a 2s 5000mah pack all summer and hardly every broke down. and i jumped the crap out of that buggy to!
Old 01-04-2012, 04:13 AM
ShredderGuy

I Upgraded to this ESCin my Shredder XT. It comes with the same ESC/Motor combo that the XTE series does. I currently run two 5000MAH 3S Lipo's on it and it is CRAZY FAST! (I never thought I would say this. But it might be to fast....) I will post of video of it in action once the snow comes off the ground at the end of the week.

My next one will be the Monsoon XTE with same upgrade. I use to be a huge huge nitro guy and still own several nitro's but electrics are winning my heart lately.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:18 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: ShredderGuy

I Upgraded to this ESC in my Shredder XT. It comes with the same ESC/Motor combo that the XTE series does. I currently run two 5000MAH 3S Lipo's on it and it is CRAZY FAST! (I never thought I would say this. But it might be to fast....) I will post of video of it in action once the snow comes off the ground at the end of the week.

My next one will be the Monsoon XTE with same upgrade. I use to be a huge huge nitro guy and still own several nitro's but electrics are winning my heart lately.
shredder on 6s! that must be able to do a good 60mph.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 AM
ShredderGuy

I will put a GPS on it and we will find out.. The snow should be gone off the ground by this weekend.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:25 PM
rcdc78

I am new to this exciting hobby and was wondering what 3s lipo batteries can fit in this small casing that the Caldera 10e has? Or was there any modification to fit one?