Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

OMG, this ticks me off

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:13 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Default RE: OMG, this ticks me off

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Yes, this irks me to my bones as well. Someone should tell him:

1) The hobby store employee lied through his teeth in order to sell a new engine or a new vehicle, or, the hobby store employee has no idea about engines.
2) It is highly unlikely that the engine is 'blown' (whatever the hell that means, epic terminology fail by the store keeper), a 'blown' engine needs replacement of the piston rings...these engines don't have piston rings.
3) Redcat will warranty the faulty motor and the second one is unlikely to have a problem, IF the first motor is even faulty, which is unlikely.

Do we know which hobby shop this is? Sounds like one to steer clear of. Name and shame please.
I would guess this
when I 1st started nitro I went to a hobby shop they told me a whole pile of things majority of which were false. Turns out the guy never touched a nitro engine, and didn't have the slightest idea outside things he read online about them(which was less than what I read at the time)...
I'll be honest out of the 2 hobby shops I've been to, and the 10-12 employees I've seen between the 2 I've only met ONE that knew his thing on nitro, as that was all he owned, but the hobby shop let him go The rest are electric guys that read stuff on nitro, but not used one themselves. As we have seen in the past on these forums(I still loved the one post where a guy said you needed timing electronics that failed often for a spark plug on nitro as he read it somewhere else and honestly believed it ) those kind of people are terrible to get nitro info from.
it amazes me how often I find unqualified people doing different jobs.
I had a car salesman tell me my bad credit wouldnt prevent me from getting a lease. After I filled out all the paper work he came back and said he was sorry ''the credit cuttoff is 750 or higher'' ***

I had a realiter show me a house I liked. I put in an offer. The next day she told me ''sorry, the home is a modular and that modular houses dont qualify for a rural developement loan (she new we needed that type of loan, as it requries no money down)
How did she show us a home that we couldnt get with the type of loan she knew we would use???

Hobby shops shouldnt employ someone who hasnt had at least a couple of years exp working on models. An employee doesnt need to know every thing about the hobby, but should have the basic knowledge acquired from a few years of working on rc's. And lets face it, if you open a hobby shop it shouldnt be that hard to find someone who has that knowledge and is willing to work at a hobby shop. Id work at one in a heartbeat!

Foxy nailed it....he used the wrong term ''blown engine''. He didnt think to say to the guy ''you should contact Redcat and see what their warrenty is'' and I highly doubt they even opened the motor up.

Multiple posters in the redcat forum have told the guy to pick up his model and what to try to get it running...and that is extremely unlikely that the motor is damaged in anyway.
I told him that once he gets it running, he should take it to that hobby shops' parking lot, run it around for awhile....then take it inside and comment on how this ''blown'' motor has tons of power
I blame HR departments in most places for that... As HR people generally are morons that just look for impressive sounding words not knowing what they are looking at. I've worked in multiple places where HR hired people that had no idea on the job cause they lied like hell on the resume, and just could use catch phrases to BS through.
One place I applied I was overqualified they said I was under qualified. Dunno how I was under qualified for a entry level position...

Funniest one this week my sister is trying to transfer stores as the other store manager wants her for a supervisor job(as the last one was fired for something) at the chain she works for, corprate HR forcedg her to reapply to that store through the online crap, and she had to take some stupid online test. She was turned down due to being labeled under qualified(due to the test of all things) even though at her current store she was employee of the month a few times lol.

The world would work 9000% better if there were 2 less things on it. Lawyers, and HR people...
HR department? What LHS has an HR department? The person doing the hiring and firing is either the owner or manager.

Oh well, at least I got t make this tread even longer
Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Yes, this irks me to my bones as well. Someone should tell him:

1) The hobby store employee lied through his teeth in order to sell a new engine or a new vehicle, or, the hobby store employee has no idea about engines.
2) It is highly unlikely that the engine is 'blown' (whatever the hell that means, epic terminology fail by the store keeper), a 'blown' engine needs replacement of the piston rings...these engines don't have piston rings.
3) Redcat will warranty the faulty motor and the second one is unlikely to have a problem, IF the first motor is even faulty, which is unlikely.

Do we know which hobby shop this is? Sounds like one to steer clear of. Name and shame please.
I would guess this
when I 1st started nitro I went to a hobby shop they told me a whole pile of things majority of which were false. Turns out the guy never touched a nitro engine, and didn't have the slightest idea outside things he read online about them(which was less than what I read at the time)...
I'll be honest out of the 2 hobby shops I've been to, and the 10-12 employees I've seen between the 2 I've only met ONE that knew his thing on nitro, as that was all he owned, but the hobby shop let him go The rest are electric guys that read stuff on nitro, but not used one themselves. As we have seen in the past on these forums(I still loved the one post where a guy said you needed timing electronics that failed often for a spark plug on nitro as he read it somewhere else and honestly believed it ) those kind of people are terrible to get nitro info from.
it amazes me how often I find unqualified people doing different jobs.
I had a car salesman tell me my bad credit wouldnt prevent me from getting a lease. After I filled out all the paper work he came back and said he was sorry ''the credit cuttoff is 750 or higher'' ***

I had a realiter show me a house I liked. I put in an offer. The next day she told me ''sorry, the home is a modular and that modular houses dont qualify for a rural developement loan (she new we needed that type of loan, as it requries no money down)
How did she show us a home that we couldnt get with the type of loan she knew we would use???

Hobby shops shouldnt employ someone who hasnt had at least a couple of years exp working on models. An employee doesnt need to know every thing about the hobby, but should have the basic knowledge acquired from a few years of working on rc's. And lets face it, if you open a hobby shop it shouldnt be that hard to find someone who has that knowledge and is willing to work at a hobby shop. Id work at one in a heartbeat!

Foxy nailed it....he used the wrong term ''blown engine''. He didnt think to say to the guy ''you should contact Redcat and see what their warrenty is'' and I highly doubt they even opened the motor up.

Multiple posters in the redcat forum have told the guy to pick up his model and what to try to get it running...and that is extremely unlikely that the motor is damaged in anyway.
I told him that once he gets it running, he should take it to that hobby shops' parking lot, run it around for awhile....then take it inside and comment on how this ''blown'' motor has tons of power
I blame HR departments in most places for that... As HR people generally are morons that just look for impressive sounding words not knowing what they are looking at. I've worked in multiple places where HR hired people that had no idea on the job cause they lied like hell on the resume, and just could use catch phrases to BS through.
One place I applied I was overqualified they said I was under qualified. Dunno how I was under qualified for a entry level position...

Funniest one this week my sister is trying to transfer stores as the other store manager wants her for a supervisor job(as the last one was fired for something) at the chain she works for, corprate HR forcedg her to reapply to that store through the online crap, and she had to take some stupid online test. She was turned down due to being labeled under qualified(due to the test of all things) even though at her current store she was employee of the month a few times lol.

The world would work 9000% better if there were 2 less things on it. Lawyers, and HR people...
HR department? What LHS has an HR department? The person doing the hiring and firing is either the owner or manager.

Oh well, at least I got t make this tread even longer [img][/img]
well he said finding under qualified people doing various jobs, and used an example of a car salesman so that wasn't about hobby shops at all
Old 02-13-2013, 09:43 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: wkdbuell

Let me add to this i work at a LHS and i guess you could say i am ''the guy'' there at least on questions and doing all the repairs however i never try to have the above attitude and explain things to people as best possible. Some days i will here other sales employs and etc say things to customers that are so far from being true it actually makes me cringe. Not to mention customer service that i can't understand why they would treat people that way like trying to charge some 20$ for changing a glow plug. They wonder why people are going on line to is the great part hopefully they will figure it out sooner then later but i doubt it.
yea the LHS I go to the one guy they had would solder battery plugs for free, but got caught one and written up for it. I remember he told someone NEVER TELL THEM I DID THIS AS THEY WANT US TO SOCK YOU $15 FOR THIS + PARTS.
Now that hobby shop charges you $2 per screwdriver size to use if you need to take a part off to check it against something.
Wow, that is ridiculous. Way to earn a huge negative reputation. Make public the name of that location so we never go there. If I asked for a screwdriver and they said 2 dollars I would tell them to sit and spin.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: mattster1971

ORIGINAL: wkdbuell

Let me add to this i work at a LHS and i guess you could say i am ''the guy'' there at least on questions and doing all the repairs however i never try to have the above attitude and explain things to people as best possible. Some days i will here other sales employs and etc say things to customers that are so far from being true it actually makes me cringe. Not to mention customer service that i can't understand why they would treat people that way like trying to charge some 20$ for changing a glow plug. They wonder why people are going on line to is the great part hopefully they will figure it out sooner then later but i doubt it.
yea the LHS I go to the one guy they had would solder battery plugs for free, but got caught one and written up for it. I remember he told someone NEVER TELL THEM I DID THIS AS THEY WANT US TO SOCK YOU $15 FOR THIS + PARTS.
Now that hobby shop charges you $2 per screwdriver size to use if you need to take a part off to check it against something.
Wow, that is ridiculous. Way to earn a huge negative reputation. Make public the name of that location so we never go there. If I asked for a screwdriver and they said 2 dollars I would tell them to sit and spin.
last time I was there they were removed completely from the counter from what I could see with that sign I guess they figured out they cheesed a few ppl off.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:17 PM
wjvail
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know what... I'm going to be the dissenting opinion here.

The purpose of the LHS is to buy things and sell them for more than they paid for them. That's kits, motors, fuel, batteries... You get the idea. They buy something for $10 and sell it for $20. They may also repair things for the new breed of modeler that doesn't work on their stuff. Working on peoples stuff leads to selling parts and is often charged by the hour. It would also be in their best interest to support local hobbying in so far as it helps sell more things for a profit. But in all of this, it is a FOR PROFIT BUSINESS. While it is a hobby for you, it is a job and a business for them.

Here are the steps to really pissing off your LHS dealer:
** Buy something off the Internet or e-bay or Wal-Mart to save a buck thereby cutting him or her out. Why should you have to shoulder the cost of heating, air conditioning, insurance, feeding employees? Right?
** Decide you need help for any number of reasons. Maybe you hit a fire hydrant. Maybe it won't start. Maybe you need a part that just wore out. Pick something.
** Now here is the kicker... Go down to the LHS, set your new toy on the counter and say to the person there, "Can you help"? To my mind it would be well within their right to simply say, "No". If you bought a Hundi because you couldn't afford a BMW, I would not expect the BMW dealer to be to keen on listening to your car ownership concerns.

All of this is akin to saying I like the ambiance of the local steak house but don't like their meat prices so what I do is, is I go down there, find a table I like and ask them if they'll cook a steak I bought at Sam's club.

Most good shops will support you in your purchases. If you buy something from them, they will often do what it takes to bring you back. That is good business... But make no mistake, it is business.

I would add that it was not right for the sales person to mislead. He should simply have said, "Did you buy it here? No? Then I can't help you. We service items in support of sales". To lie to someone is not going to pave the way to a lasting relationship with this potential future customer.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:27 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: wjvail

The purpose of the LHS is to buy things and sell them for more than they paid for them. That's kits, motors, fuel, batteries... You get the idea. They buy something for $10 and sell it for $20. They may also repair things for the new breed of modeler that doesn't work on their stuff. Working on peoples stuff leads to selling parts and is often charged by the hour. It would also be in their best interest to support local hobbying in so far as it helps sell more things for a profit. But in all of this, it is a FOR PROFIT BUSINESS. While it is a hobby for you, it is a job and a business for them.

** Buy something off the Internet or e-bay or Wal-Mart to save a buck thereby cutting him or her out. Why should you have to shoulder the cost of heating, air conditioning, insurance, feeding employees? Right?
** Decide you need help for any number of reasons. Maybe you hit a fire hydrant. Maybe it won't start. Maybe you need a part that just wore out. Pick something.
** Now here is the kicker... Go down to the LHS, set your new toy on the counter and say to the person there, ''Can you help''? To my mind it would be well within their right to simply say, ''No''. If you bought a Hundi because you couldn't afford a BMW, I would not expect the BMW dealer to be to keen on listening to your car ownership concerns.

All of this is akin to saying I like the ambiance of the local steak house but don't like their meat prices so what I do is, is I go down there, find a table I like and ask them if they'll cook a steak I bought at Sam's club.

Most good shops will support you in your purchases. If you buy something from them, they will often do what it takes to bring you back. That is good business... But make no mistake, it is business.

I would add that it was not right for the sales person to mislead. He should simply have said, ''Did you buy it here? No? Then I can't help you. We service items in support of sales''. To lie to someone is not going to pave the way to a lasting relationship with this potential future customer.
Ok so if you owned a hobby shop and somebody brought in a car they bought elsewhere and asked to have a new engine put in which they would pay for the engine and labor of coarse you would turn them away? That doesn't sound like good "business" to me.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:40 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

** Now here is the kicker... Go down to the LHS, set your new toy on the counter and say to the person there, ''Can you help''? To my mind it would be well within their right to simply say, ''No''. If you bought a Hundi because you couldn't afford a BMW, I would not expect the BMW dealer to be to keen on listening to your car ownership concerns.

I would add that it was not right for the sales person to mislead. He should simply have said, ''Did you buy it here? No? Then I can't help you. We service items in support of sales''. To lie to someone is not going to pave the way to a lasting relationship with this potential future customer.
a place that says that is one that deserves to go under as that will chase future potential customers away.

Lets face it even if its a redcat it will need nitro fuel, glow plugs, bodies, etc that the hobby shop sells. Also lets face it how many people have you seen that buy just one RC?
so telling them sod off cause you didn't buy from us is idiotic at best as you are chasing away future sales, and guess what if the person knows someone and tells them their treatment there goes another potential sale, and if they go on a forum and say how big of jerks a place is there are even more potential sales.

Also that kind of thought process is what is killing the LHS's
Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 PM
JohnP2

All this makes me realize how effing BLESSED I am to have (what I feel) is the best "guy" at my LHS in North America. Seriously, sometimes I just hang out there to watch him do this thing. Yes, he is a bit ornary, but I can understand. I was hanging out there a few days ago and he was in the weeds helping a line of customers (he's the only surface guy there).A guy from the air-craft department answered the surface area phone and said "Jason, this guy wants to know how to make his car go faster." He took in stride (I was LMAO) and said "take his number and I'll call him back".

While much of this thread is based on a poor employee at a LHS, I will say that Jason at Roy's Hobby Shop in Hurst, TX is "THE MAN"!!!

All the guy does for a living is answer questions from folks (novice and advanced) and while he can be 'straight-forward' at times....the dude ALWAYS comes through and knows more about "the hobby" than anyone I've ever conversed with. I notice a more interest in his tone these days, as while I'm still a newbie, I no longer need help starting my Exceed Forza. Ha!I joke that I'ma pupil whose studied hard and moving to the gradudate school thanks to him. ;-) And he is the ONLY guy on earth I will follow rc advice without hesitation.

So...while the LHS might be a dying breed....having a "guy" at the LHS - one who really feels "the customer in front of me is my top priority" is absolutely priceless!

Old 02-13-2013, 04:53 PM
wjvail

Ok so if you owned a hobby shop and somebody brought in a car they bought elsewhere and asked to have a new engine put in which they would pay for the engine and labor of coarse you would turn them away? That doesn't sound like good "business" to me.
Err.... wait. I think I spoke to that point...
They may also repair things for the new breed of modeler that doesn't work on their stuff. Working on peoples stuff leads to selling parts and is often charged by the hour.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:57 PM
t-max97

Yeah you sure did.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:05 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

All this makes me realize how effing BLESSED I am to have (what I feel) is the best ''guy'' at my LHS in North America. Seriously, sometimes I just hang out there to watch him do this thing. Yes, he is a bit ornary, but I can understand. I was hanging out there a few days ago and he was in the weeds helping a line of customers (he's the only surface guy there). A guy from the air-craft department answered the surface area phone and said ''Jason, this guy wants to know how to make his car go faster.'' He took in stride (I was LMAO) and said ''take his number and I'll call him back''.

While much of this thread is based on a poor employee at a LHS, I will say that Jason at Roy's Hobby Shop in Hurst, TX is ''THE MAN''!!!

All the guy does for a living is answer questions from folks (novice and advanced) and while he can be 'straight-forward' at times....the dude ALWAYS comes through and knows more about ''the hobby'' than anyone I've ever conversed with. I notice a more interest in his tone these days, as while I'm still a newbie, I no longer need help starting my Exceed Forza. Ha! I joke that I'm a pupil whose studied hard and moving to the gradudate school thanks to him. ;-) And he is the ONLY guy on earth I will follow rc advice without hesitation.

So...while the LHS might be a dying breed....having a ''guy'' at the LHS - one who really feels ''the customer in front of me is my top priority'' is absolutely priceless!

yea mine had that kinda guy
remember when someone wanted to buy integy parts he asked him Do you plan on actually using the car or just sitting it on a shelf to look pretty? the guy was like huh? HE went on and told him that integy is aimed at new people who want to make their vehicles all shiny, and the parts cause more harm then good. And explained the issues that would arise, and said so you still want to buy the parts even after that warning.
Guy was also the reason I ended up getting a Jammin X1 had to order it online as the shop didn't carry them, but did carry parts. He also told me what to upgrade, and where to get the parts the cheapest. Sure they lost out on a few sales then, but fuel, and body sales made up for it.
Hell when integy announced their one RC he said it would probably explode, and kill a turn marshal on the 1st day if its up to integys normal standards (he REALLY hated integy lol)

Now they only have people who try and shovel the traxxas of the month down every ones throats
Old 02-13-2013, 05:10 PM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

All this makes me realize how effing BLESSED I am to have (what I feel) is the best ''guy'' at my LHS in North America. Seriously, sometimes I just hang out there to watch him do this thing. Yes, he is a bit ornary, but I can understand. I was hanging out there a few days ago and he was in the weeds helping a line of customers (he's the only surface guy there). A guy from the air-craft department answered the surface area phone and said ''Jason, this guy wants to know how to make his car go faster.'' He took in stride (I was LMAO) and said ''take his number and I'll call him back''.

While much of this thread is based on a poor employee at a LHS, I will say that Jason at Roy's Hobby Shop in Hurst, TX is ''THE MAN''!!!

All the guy does for a living is answer questions from folks (novice and advanced) and while he can be 'straight-forward' at times....the dude ALWAYS comes through and knows more about ''the hobby'' than anyone I've ever conversed with. I notice a more interest in his tone these days, as while I'm still a newbie, I no longer need help starting my Exceed Forza. Ha! I joke that I'm a pupil whose studied hard and moving to the gradudate school thanks to him. ;-) And he is the ONLY guy on earth I will follow rc advice without hesitation.

So...while the LHS might be a dying breed....having a ''guy'' at the LHS - one who really feels ''the customer in front of me is my top priority'' is absolutely priceless!

yea mine had that kinda guy
remember when someone wanted to buy integy parts he asked him Do you plan on actually using the car or just sitting it on a shelf to look pretty? the guy was like huh? HE went on and told him that integy is aimed at new people who want to make their vehicles all shiny, and the parts cause more harm then good. And explained the issues that would arise, and said so you still want to buy the parts even after that warning.
Guy was also the reason I ended up getting a Jammin X1 had to order it online as the shop didn't carry them, but did carry parts. He also told me what to upgrade, and where to get the parts the cheapest. Sure they lost out on a few sales then, but fuel, and body sales made up for it.
Hell when integy announced their one RC he said it would probably explode, and kill a turn marshal on the 1st day if its up to integys normal standards (he REALLY hated integy lol)

Now they only have people who try and shovel the traxxas of the month down every ones throats

Hahaha so true.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:21 PM
wjvail

I've been modeling for over 45 years. That's so long ago there was no mail order. I remember a time when OS and Futaba were distributed by World Engines not Great Planes. I remember a time when there were US made radios. All engines and radios, as well as all kits, came from a case in the LHS. You bought from the LHS or you didn't hobby.

It was a time when building and working on your stuff was part of the hobby. If you couldn't make an engine run, the local club would help but the LHS, did NOT wrench on modelers stuff. The local hobby shop was a place to BUY things to facilitate your modeling with friends. It defiantly was not a maintenance center.

There were 2 or 3 hobby shops in every reasonable sized town.

I've seen the fall of the local hobby shop and it was NOT because they refused to work on mail order items. It was mail order itself. The local hobby shop died when people bought their large purchases from mail order and only bought props, fuel and plugs from the LHS. The LHS died when it became a service center for items bought elsewhere.

When you buy a Red Cat you have not only not bought the item from the LHS, you are buying a vehicle that is not in their distribution system. When you take it to them, they can't even buy discounted parts for markup and resale. If you buy a car from Radio Shack, the LHS doesn't carry parts because they can't carry parts. They have no more ability to work on them than you do. Traxxas is NOT that way.

Finally, I'm not selling anything here. How you were treated at your LHS has hurt your relationship with them forever. That is not good business. I'm just saying taking something you bought of the internet and putting on the counter of your local retailer is going to lead to friction. It's bad manners... and after 10 hours a day, 6 days a week, of people bringing in mail order items, you apparently caught them at a less than forgiving moment.

"..I'm not sayin' what they did was right, but I understand..."
Old 02-13-2013, 05:42 PM
t-max97

I've been modeling for over 45 years. That's so long ago there was no mail order. I remember a time when OS and Futaba were distributed by World Engines not Great Planes. I remember a time when there were US made radios. All engines and radios, as well as all kits, came from a case in the LHS. You bought from the LHS or you didn't hobby.

It was a time when building and working on your stuff was part of the hobby. If you couldn't make an engine run, 1 the local club would help but the LHS, did NOT wrench on modelers stuff. The local hobby shop was a place to BUY things to facilitate your modeling with friends. It defiantly was not a maintenance center.

2 I've seen the fall of the local hobby shop and it was NOT because they refused to work on mail order items. It was mail order itself. The local hobby shop died when people bought their large purchases from mail order and only bought props, fuel and plugs from the LHS. The LHS died when it became a service center for items bought elsewhere.

When you buy a Red Cat you have not only not bought the item from the LHS, you are buying a vehicle that is not in their distribution system. When you take it to them, they can't even buy discounted parts for markup and resale. If you buy a car from Radio Shack, they don't carry parts because they can't carry parts. They have no more ability to work on them they you do. Traxxas is NOT that way.

Finally, I'm not selling anything here. How you were treated at your LHS has hurt your relationship with them forever. That is not good business. 3 I'm just saying taking something you bought of the internet and putting on the counter of your local retailer is going to lead to friction. It's bad manners... and after 10 hours a day, 6 days a week, of people bringing in mail order items, you apparently caught them at a less than forgiving moment.

''..I'm not say what they did was right, but I understand...''
1-What difference does it make that they didn't use to work on people's stuff? Most offer it now by there own will so that seems irrelevant.

2-They may have lost business due to online retailers but does that mean they should turn down more business because it wasn't purchased from them?

3-Im sure it would be if you where behind the counter but any business owner that doesn't want to file bankruptcy will take all the business they can get.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:44 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

It was a time when building and working on your stuff was part of the hobby. If you couldn't make an engine run, the local club would help but the LHS, did NOT wrench on modelers stuff. The local hobby shop was a place to BUY things to facilitate your modeling with friends. It defiantly was not a maintenance center.

I've seen the fall of the local hobby shop and it was NOT because they refused to work on mail order items. It was mail order itself. The local hobby shop died when people bought their large purchases from mail order and only bought props, fuel and plugs from the LHS. The LHS died when it became a service center for items bought elsewhere.

When you buy a Red Cat you have not only not bought the item from the LHS, you are buying a vehicle that is not in their distribution system. When you take it to them, they can't even buy discounted parts for markup and resale. If you buy a car from Radio Shack, they don't carry parts because they can't carry parts. They have no more ability to work on them they you do. Traxxas is NOT that way.

Finally, I'm not selling anything here. How you were treated at your LHS has hurt your relationship with them forever. That is not good business. I'm just saying taking something you bought of the internet and putting on the counter of your local retailer is going to lead to friction. It's bad manners...
and after 10 hours a day, 6 days a week, of people bringing in mail order items, you apparently caught them at a less than forgiving moment.

''..I'm not say what they did was right, but I understand...''
If you think of it though its their fault they are carrying limited things
My LHS (prior to management change) Used to carry pretty much every major brand, and had an equal distribution of stuff. HPI, AE, Kyosho, Losi Traxxas, Tamiya, and OFNA (can't remember if I'm missing any)
Now the walls are literally covered with 80% traxxas vehicles, and traxxas parts. The rest is split between HPI, AE, and LOSI who have maybe 1-2 20 gallon tupperware bins for parts for all their vehicles, and a few vehicles on display unlike say traxxas which has every friggin model they make up multiple times.

So yes in this shops case its really the internets fault for forcing me, and others to shop online as EVERYONE wants to buy traxxas...
Also I was forced to buy tires online as they NEVER have a set of 4 of ANYTHING not even friggin rims. Asked them once and they were like uhh we sell out fast, go in 2 months later same sets of rims, and tires with no matches(literally was the same as the packaging was yellowed). Also most the things outside the traxxas of the month that they sell they don't even stock parts for, so if it breaks your are SOL, and have to wait 3-5 days and pay a premium to drive back and forth for the parts you can get off the internet cheaper. One day I was there a guy came in after they called him saying his order was there turns out they never ordered it even he took back his deposit and walked out.

My other LHS that I quit going to their onroad section consisted of a old traxxas stampede (had a layer of dust on it), some old HPI, and a shoe nox of parts from a pile of different brands. That guy don't even act like he gives a care when you ask him anything. Asked him for bearings once he was like nope don't got any in that size without even looking at the one I had on me, and that was the owner...

Old 02-13-2013, 05:45 PM
JohnP2

I think the key to showing your thanks at the LHS is to always buy some staple items (nitro, glow plugs, tools, etc.) and above all express your appreciation. Tell theboss man how much the employee helped and how valuable he is to keeping you in the hobby.

If a kit is $30 more to purchase therethan online call them out on it. I'll come out and state "can you beat this price?" If not, fine. At least you gave them first dibs on it - and that is a business transaction. However,I've seen guys come in, they get 30 minutes of help and walk outwithout even a'thank you' and not buy anything. That is what would makeme bitter after a while.

We recently moved and there is a LHS about 1 mile from my house(with an indoortrack and everything). Problem is that the guy pretty much specializes in electricasdo 99% of his customers. He won't let me run my nitro indoors. He told me the 1/8 nitro scene here in DFW is prettymuch a "niche group" (and I believe that). Regardless, anything electric (batteries, charging systems, etc) I will go andobtain his advice.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Dads like rc too

I can understand the whole "you didn't buy it from me" attitude if you explain it the way you did, but in reality that's just not the case anymore. First thing is, most of us know what the mark up on a new rtr model is. So a kid walks in with whatever, be it redcat, losi, hpi, makes no difference. He drops it on the counter and has no idea how to remove a dogbone. So the hobby shop lost a couple of bucks on the initial sale, but this kid "like many of you have said" is going to buy much more than that from this store in the future. My LHS is a Traxxas dealer and I can't tell you how much I've spent on fuel, wheels, tires, and all the little Traxxas retrofits I've had to do to get through the weekend. I usually have at least one project working, with two to three other runners at any given time. I buy ceramic bearings from them anytime I lose a factory bearing, glow plugs, extra igniter batteries. I buy their expensive model paints which are awesome. My local shop luckily doesn't have the attitude that I've seen in so many places. They've even given me "the Redcat speech" when I first started going there, but after I kept coming back they treated me like a normal customer, even though I wasn't a Traxxas owner.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:43 AM
pcarluvr

I wish I could either afford to own a hobby store or even work in one. I would treat it just like a (Hear comes the bashing) New Car Dealership! I get the whole you can't take your own eggs to Mcdonalds and expect them to cook em thing, but what if the person who walked into your establishment looking for help, just moved to the area? No, I didn't buy it from you, I just moved here and looking for some help. Or, Yes, I bought off the internet to save a few bucks. Or, I got it as a gift. Whatever the case is, this is that persons time to shine! You don't get a second chance to make a first impression! Offer them your service,knowledge,expertise, but don't chase them away. My RedCat won't start after my break in tanks. Well let's check the basics sir, Is your glow starter fully charged, etc,etc,etc,.... If you killed them with kindness and acknowledged them as a human being, You'd have them for life! RedCat didn't make the engine, So why is the problem I bought junk? Help him get it started,running, enjoying it and this person will always come back and possibly most definately, buy something You sell! When people buy off of you, don't just hand them a freakin box and tell them good luck. Un box it with them, get them familiar with the item, show them how and where things go or turn on. I'm sure all LHS's are sooooo busy, they can't spend 10 minutes with someone who just spent $300.00 or better? Has anyone ever bought anything from anywhere and they send you on your way, you have a problem, come back and the guy/girl treats you like they just met you? I have and NEVER went back! This is what is killing the mom and pop hobby stores and is why the internet is putting them out of business! If just ONE person would have shown this guy some kindness or offered some help, this thread would never have been started.

Sorry, I went WAY off course and ranted!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Foxy

This take your own eggs to McD's thing is an invalid comparison. It's more like taking a whopper you got from burger king which had a horsemeat patty and asking at McD's if you can just buy a QP patty and if they can put it in the burger for you, and even that isn't quite there as a comparison.

Anyway, bottom line is that a hobby shop should expect to be consulted on hobby matters. Whether or not that should extend to consultations on items they do not stock is an opinion down to the individual, but I would not respect or ever revisit any shop that said to me 'you didn't buy that from me, get lost'. That attitude and others like it, is why LHSes are closing down, online you can get your goods without being sneered at, and I can imagine these shop keepers with bad attitudes crying 'Why me!' when the bank comes to take everything, completely oblivious to the fact that they were of no benefit to the 'hobby', and that's why 'them'.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:35 PM
silvermansteve
My Feedback: (2)

I thought an lhs made its profits from parts, not from kits, primarily, anyway. I either tip 15 bucks or order parts when i bring them a mail ordered car. OR i used to, i am getting to the point where i never need them for diagnosing anymore....
Old 02-16-2013, 01:15 PM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: silvermansteve

I thought an lhs made its profits from parts, not from kits, primarily, anyway. I either tip 15 bucks or order parts when i bring them a mail ordered car. OR i used to, i am getting to the point where i never need them for diagnosing anymore....
Any time iv'e had a problem the helpful people on here have always helped me figure it out, But Iv'e been in the hobby long enough now I typically don't any problems diagnosing or fixing anything.