Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Hunter Twin Build

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Hunter Twin Build

Old 02-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Paul M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hunter Twin Build

Dude. It's only been 4 years. What's the rush. LOL

I feel your pain. I have a skater I have been working on almost as long.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU[/youtube]
Good to see your still at it Mike!!

Envious of the pace boat setup you have - be the perfect way to appreciate, run, photograph, film her in action.

I cannot talk about delays in projects - mine are still delayed!!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:11 PM
5150Cat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt!
What's up buddy! Glad to see you are still hangin out in my thread and haven't given up on your grasshopper student! LOL!

I'm making progress. Move check. New computer built check. Sticker machine back cutting check. Garage cleaned out to have sufficient space to work in? Uh no. Not yet. LOL!

But the pipes and headers should be here this week. Going to fire up the motor before I throw it in the boat and maybe run a tank through her just to make sure all is well with that twin since it's my first.

And yes, my buddy with the boat hounds me weekly. Pretty crazy guy. One of those friends who has more money than time. He just bought a Lamborghini Superleggera and took me for a ride. Insane. Four wheel drive. Everything carbon fiber. 800hp. Never been in a faster better handling car. So hopefully once he see's this boat I can get him hooked and maybe do a build for him! That's my evil plan at least! Or sell him mine and I'll start another!

Ok, I'll let you guys know when the final hardware gets here.

I'm off to cut some stickers and eventually pass out.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43608.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1848669  
Old 02-14-2013, 11:51 AM
5150Cat

Quick question for you guys. And I'm a little embarassed to admit this. But I've never had a boat make it this far to completion. LOL! At what point do you go for paint? I have everything on the boat externally done. Exhaust ports, fuel fillers, windshield, etc...... So nothing has to change there. But I do have a few other things on the inside to do.

The reason I ask is the weather is colder(60-65) for San Diego and the paint shops are slow right now. I could get this in and out now if I wanted to. Is it too soon? Should I wait until it's 99% done? I mean after I got the pipes and motors done last night(pics to come) all I need to do is mount electronics and a fuel bag or two.

Thoughts?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 AM
goodson

When I built my GTX, I painted it after I had it completely built. It was the middle of winter, and never even test ran the boat in the water. I imagine if you have all of your holes and vents where they need to be, its ready for paint. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:09 PM
5150Cat

Just came across another thought. Being the sticker guy I am, not really sure why I never thought of this before.

How about a vinyl sticker wrap. Could do the whole boat in a vinyl sticker graphics ready to go. Only reason this would be nice is if I jack up a side or scuff something I just bring the file in, reorder that side, slap it on and done. Perfect again.

It certainly wouldn't look nearly as nice as paint......but just a thought.

goodsonthanks for the input. I think I'm going to email the guy today and see what he says about time frames in the next few weeks
Old 02-14-2013, 01:57 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 5150Cat

Just came across another thought. Being the sticker guy I am, not really sure why I never thought of this before.

How about a vinyl sticker wrap. Could do the whole boat in a vinyl sticker graphics ready to go. Only reason this would be nice is if I jack up a side or scuff something I just bring the file in, reorder that side, slap it on and done. Perfect again.

It certainly wouldn't look nearly as nice as paint......but just a thought.

goodsonthanks for the input. I think I'm going to email the guy today and see what he says about time frames in the next few weeks
Contact Jeff Ross known as mono jeff over on the dock about wraps he does awesome work.
Mart
Old 02-15-2013, 02:13 AM
stevo7896

I would run it enough to know your setup is good. On my build, I finished my seem and put down some primer. You may find yourself doing little mods after your first run and don't want to worry about moving hull fixtures or what ever else. Most likely you wont have to, but Ive seen a few threads where a guy had to move items for fine tuning.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:24 PM
5150Cat

Afternoon guys. Ok, so here's where I'm at. Going to order another head and end up reversing one of the heads on the twin. Just going to be cleaner, look better, balance better and just be good all around. So that's this weekend.

My question is this. Mostly for Matt on this one too since I'm taking his advice. I'm opting not to run the servo adjusted trims initially. I'll keep the hardware and servos in case I want to later. So my question is approx drive angle. More up? More down? And this goes right into my next question.
Balance. I know it was supposed to be like 34% length from the transom or something similar.....I have it marked on the hull now. And I have almost everything in there but the radio box. I figure I'll use that to fine tune things. And it shouldn't be overly heavy I don't think anyway.....and if anything I would think I would want the boat more butt heavy than nose heavy correct?

Mike
Old 02-22-2013, 10:46 AM
02f350psd

PICS PICS PICS!!!

I would think prop drive angle will depend on final weight placement in the hull.

Keep us posted!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:12 AM
5150Cat

02f350psd
Hahahaa, ok ok, I'll throw some pics back up but I have to actually make some progress first! LOL! So far it hasn't been that great of a week for that.

Tried switching the head on one of the motors and it wasn't going back on in the reversed direction. The fans from the head were hitting the coil. So I had to get crazy with the cheese wiz and get the Dremel out for some custom fitting. That's cut. Now when I go to fit the head back on the holes aren't lining up for the bolts. I think it's mulitple things. Crooked gasket, the back plate for the clutch and I might have to gring a little more. Needless to say I screwed up the piston ring a little so I'm not going to take a chance. Just ordered a new ring and gasket to make sure all is well on the inside. Also ordered another header and that should be here mid next week. Then it's just drilling holes for the output exhaust ports and connecting the two together. No biggie there.

Also ordered a couple sheets of carbon fiber to pull the hull down to match the hatch. MH$ kind of jacked that up so I have to make it look right. So I'll cut out a few ribs and show before and after pics there. (think I had some before on the thread earlier but I'll repost as I'm on a new pc and don't think I have those pics anyway)

Ordered some HV Hitec servos as well. Two for steering and a couple for throttle. Get those bad boys mounted up and then I'm only out a radio box and fuel system. I had food poisoning earlier this week and nice guy that my bro in law firegighter is, he came by work and plugged me into some fluids one day just to get my second wind and refuel me after being sick for 3 days straight. Reason for that story is the fact that I now have a free 1000cc bag in my garage So that worked out nice. I'll get it hooked up and get some gas in it and get rid of all the saline and see if I can't get it to "cure" a little.

Radio box will be a custom made thing. Just found a killer plastic place that's less than 2 blocks from my new garage and they already love me. So I'll be back over there to get some custom cut stuff going and see what I can make for a box. I'm going all high voltage servos so I can run a single 7.4v lipo. Something that will hold a lot and pull a lot so I can run all week on one charge. Did it the same way in all my 5th scale cars. And I can pretty much run for days on a charge! In fact I don't think I've ever had one lose a charge enough that I had to stop running because of it. And I think my longest run was 4 days solid. So that should be good.

So stay tuned. On a mission to get this thing done. All other projects are on hold for not until this is up and running! Bout dang time eh?

Mike
Old 02-23-2013, 11:28 PM
stevo7896

Just looked over the thread, missed it, but what motors are you running?I thought I had seen the coupled inline from wwh.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:47 PM
5150Cat

StevoYes you are correct. I've mated together two Zenoah G260's with the inline coupler.

My issues this week have been swapping the damn cylinder on one of the heads. After tons of cussing, head scratching and beer drinking I've decided the holes are not lined up to be able to just flip the head 180 degrees. I'm not sure why or how come the hole pattern is different but I did everything to try to get it to fit. Even left it for a few days and came back to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. But after pulling out the micrometer the holes aren't lined up. Crap. Oh well.

Now I'm looking for ideas on linking carbs together. Any thoughts?

Mike
Old 02-25-2013, 08:32 PM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Daniel Place over on Jim's sells 90 degree intake

x

makes hooking twins easy as thottles on bottom now

Name:	Hf98036.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	1856345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92375.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	1856346  
Old 02-25-2013, 11:33 PM
stevo7896

Looking at warehouse hobbies site they sell their coupled inline twin with forward head rotated, so not sure their linkage setups would work .I've read that there is more than just rotating head to turn them around ,tony at wh hobbies may have the info for rotating the jug as he sells his twin setup that way. If you leave heads stock those couplers like in previous post would work out great .On my rcmk 520 I ended up ditching the stock coupler that connects carbs due to alignment issues and went with dual arms on forward carb and a pin to another arm on rear carb. I will post pictures of my setup for some ideas .If you keeps carbs on same side and add any kind of coupler between carbs I would suggest upgrading to stainless steel carb shafts .There's a guy selling them on the dock for some of the carbs out their.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:47 PM
stevo7896

Your carbs are further apart ,so not sure any of this would crossover since your carbs are further apart

Name:	Tq48992.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1856402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75102.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	1856403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92843.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1856404  
Old 02-26-2013, 09:44 AM
5150Cat

SteveoI might have to call Tony and see what is up with that engine. Not sure why the bolt pattern would be different, but it definitely was. Oh well. Doing the carbs with the both on the same side will be cleaner I guess anyway.

MistycreekThanks for the hook up there. I will be looking him up. I like that setup with both of the carbs turned. That will allow me to use one servo and hard mount everything up to the carbs. Will be perfect! And clean!
Old 02-26-2013, 11:07 AM
5150Cat

Just sent Daniel a PM about getting those carbs spun.

Going to try to fire the engine(s) up this weekend in the garage to see if I can't get them a little broken in. Anyone have any advice on tuning an inline? I'm clueless. Can do singles all day. Duals is some wicked black ninja art to me.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:16 PM
bigteeracing

ORIGINAL: 5150Cat

Going to try to fire the engine(s) up this weekend in the garage to see if I can't get them a little broken in. Anyone have any advice on tuning an inline? I'm clueless. Can do singles all day. Duals is some wicked black ninja art to me.

keep both carbs the same , needles the same on both carbs ( in sets ) and check the plugs together

get it on the water

cheers tony
Old 02-28-2013, 08:42 PM
5150Cat

MistyCreekThanks for the hook up with Daniel on JBD. Ordered the carb kit to spin them and hook them up as one. Awesome and completely clean set up! Should look good

And progress rocks! Here's what happened tonight. Go the emergency door on the hatch finished. It's got stops and the hinges work nicely. Don't see me using it much but it's nice to have just in case I need to pop the hatch to adjust something. Also mounted in the rare earth magnets into their holders in the hatch. Now I'll work on getting the magnets on the hull side of it glassed in as well. Then make a slide/groove option for the front. That way the front will key in and the back will snap down with magnets.

Pulled the drives apart and cleaned them up a little. Also took out electric trim feature. For now. Just going to go old school for now and like Matt says I think once it's set it will be done.

Got the motor back together and actually started it. Amazing how easy these Zenoah's are. It's completely wicked sounding. Started up on the third pull and idled until I shut it down. The rear motor did get quite a bit hotter than the lead engine. Not sure if that's normal or not. Granted I had no water going thru them but they only ran for 10 seconds at most. I have a call into my machinist. He is going to make me a mount for the gear box resivoir and also a bearing carrier for the flex shaft to support it half way down the rails. Also going to have him cut the header for the rear engine and weld a 1" extension in it. This will put the rear pipe more where I need it. Then I'll get the servos mounted.

I ordered the servos and radio box today and should have the servos tomorrow. I got Hitec HV servos. A waterproof metal gear for the throttle and two 1/4 scale monsters for the rudders. All high voltage too so I can run 7.4 lipos. Much better that way.

What are your guys thoughts about running servos out of the radio box? All my servos will be open and out. I absolutely hate running cables and set ups. So I'm just going to mount the throttle servo to the motor and the steering servos will be right off the rails towards the rear of the hull.

That was all I got to tonight. More again tomorrow hopefully!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:12 PM
5150Cat

Update for the start of the week.

Got the carbs mounted with the new sideways mount. Just need to get some hardware for the linkage then I'll be set to mount the throttle servo.

Talked to my machinist and he's booked busy for the next few days. Going to have him but the header to the rear motor and extend it to the other side. So basically both pipes will be the same distance from the motor only on each side of the boat. So it will only add about 2" to the header or so.

Steering servos are mounted, radio box is ordered. Trying to seal the crap out of everything with silicon and also ordered some Corrosion X for the stupid salt water down here. Not overly excited about that part.

Motor starts up like a charm.

Got all the hatch stuff built just need to CF it in. Two CF tabs in the front and two rare earth mags in back. Holds like a rock so that's pretty sweet too. Going to rebuild the gear box just because I've had it running on the drill press for a bit to get it broken in some. So I'll make sure all is good there with fresh oil.

Still need to make it by the plastics place to get more delrin for a bearing support for the flex cable and make a mount for the overflow tank for the gearbox. Then glass in the rails and motor/gearbox assembly and I'll be water bound!

I'll try to post some pics if you guys want by this weekend. Let me know what you want to see.

Mike
Old 03-18-2013, 05:40 AM
02f350psd

Yes, pics of progress would be good. Lets see the motors in the hull and full shots of the boat! Thanks!!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:23 AM
5150Cat

Sounds good. I'll get some shots and post them.

My machinist took the whole boat and motor assembly so he could do some work and get the pipes all dialed in correctly and looking good. So we'll see what and when I get that back. Sucks just dropping your boat off at some dudes house and walking away! LOL!

Anyway, soon as I get it back I'll get some pics taken and posted on here so you guys can check it out.

Mike
Old 06-07-2013, 05:52 AM
02f350psd

Any more updates? Been a few months.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:00 AM
02f350psd

Bumping this back up... Been almost a year. Any more updates for us?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.