Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

LOVE AND WAR - DAK BATTLEDAY FEB 16

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

LOVE AND WAR - DAK BATTLEDAY FEB 16

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 06:43 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts
Default LOVE AND WAR - DAK BATTLEDAY FEB 16

We are convening the Board for a run on Saturday and the outlook is bright. Temps in the 70's, clear skies and good tanking. Check out www.desertarmor.com for more info.

Happy Tanking.

Untitled by edoubleaz, on Flickr
Old 02-13-2013, 09:51 PM
streetsquid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LOVE AND WAR - DAK BATTLEDAY FEB 16

Yup,
Now thats what I'm talkin about! Line them pretty green tanks up in a nice straight line, makes for easy pickins! This is shaping up to be another good ol' fashioned Axis ass whoopin!

See you on the field! (LOL)

Squid
Old 02-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Silk789

Is this a Hellcat in the middle?

Looks good man
Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 AM
edoubleaz

Hells(cat) yes!!!

Old 02-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Silk789

Damn I want one too
Old 02-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All charged up and ready to go.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

SomeMountain troops may show up... too much snow up here for any tank fun.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:54 PM
tsull

The Heavy King Tiger is ready to whoop some Allied butt. One year after receiving that lonely light and funny HL thing and 14 pounds later, it's finally ready to rumble.
All systems are green (except for a slightly bent Mato 3:1 shaft - never use those again after I've snapped three shafts) and we will see everyone Saturday!
Tjs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99608.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1852282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk23907.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1852283  
Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Pah co chu puk

This mission is a go... we made reservations for Fri. and Sat. night.

A Panther and a Leopard from theColorado mountains are comming to Arizona to hunt Shermans...
Old 02-14-2013, 09:42 PM
tsull

Excellent! With all that heavy metal, I'm not certain any Sherman's will show up? We might have to throw an allied flag over an axis tank to make the battles more fair.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:58 PM
streetsquid

Pah co chu puk,
That is sweet! Glad to to here you guys are gonna make your inagural run down to the valley of the sun. DAK co-founder and CO- Edoubleaz (Ethan) and I used to make regular 750 mile 1 day turn around trips to battle with our sister club (SCAT) in Southern California. There were a couple of bleery eyed 27 straight hour days where the drive home was questionable, but worth every minute!

We BBQ, share ideas and techniques, talk about current and future projects, BS, shoot the sh_t, talk shop and a lot of smack, oh yeah we battle as well. Bottom line is in the 7 years we've been doing this and 60+ battles we've hosted I have never heard anyone complain about how we run things, or have a single person utter less than they had a good time at a DAK battle. I look forward to meeting you in person and seeing some of your AXIS heavies riding rough right next to mine and punching a few holes in Ethans's little gang of green pea shooter Shermans!

Streetsquid (Craig)
XO-DAK (Desert Armor Korps)

If you'd like PM me and I'll make sure you have Ethan and my's cell phone numbers before you leave on your trip
Old 02-15-2013, 04:22 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pah co chu puk

This mission is a go... we made reservations for Fri. and Sat. night.

A Panther and a Leopard from the Colorado mountains are comming to Arizona to hunt Shermans...

I'm just going to make some time for a battle later on this year.

My Shermans would love to see some Axis armor BURN.

Have fun guys!

~ Jeff
Old 02-15-2013, 07:51 AM
edoubleaz

The allies are ready for your shows of bravado. Jumbo is peaked and tweaked and tank destroyers are lurkin'.

As for the rest of the Colorado troop, if I may be so bold, we have a suggestion for a recruiting drive/ demo in August.
IPMS nationals are headed your way August 14-17. I am bringing the family as are a few DAK members. There will be a great number of possible members there as well as armor modelers. Streetsquid and I would love to meet up with some of you all for some field discussions at least!!

http://www.ipmsusa2013.com
Old 02-15-2013, 09:34 AM
Pah co chu puk

FRAG – WSD[/b] (Front Range Armor Group - Western Slope Division) is mobilized and in route to the southern desert. We will be observing radio silence, but have arranged semaphore signaling with edoubleaz, streetsquid and Jeff489.

We anticipate a complete and easy victory, hopefully for our side, after a clash of titans.

ETA La Quinta staging area 2-15-13@ 20:30

ETA DAK HQ 2-16-13 @ 09:30

Kampfgruppe Pah co chu puk, signing out.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:20 PM
CountChocula

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it will be great having you all and finally meeting some more people we see on the forums. Have a safe trip... see you on the field.

Dave
Old 02-16-2013, 09:24 PM
Pah co chu puk

Mission accomplished!
We had a great time today battling with DAK. I earned two more stripes for the Panther's gun tube and was "killed" several times. They let my son drive several of their tanks, six in all, and even had a kids only battle while we adults talked and showed off our rigs. The weather was perfect, the food was good and the people outstanding. I'm glad we made the drive, these guys are cool!
We got to see some of the builds featured on RCU in person, including the 1920's pattern Rolls- Royce scout car, the Hellcat, and the Marine Corps Sherman with the wading trunks. There are some very good builders here.
Thank you, to all the DAK crew, for a wonderful day. Your hospitality and openness made us feel like we were a part of the group, like we were among old friends. We got DAK t-shirts, we will return.
Here are some battle pix.

Name:	Mk27511.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	1852998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40399.jpg
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	1852999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55768.jpg
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	1853000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47607.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	1853001  
Old 02-16-2013, 09:38 PM
edoubleaz

Refreshing to have our After Action Review crafted by an enthusiastic out of town guest! We had perfect weather and great action. Allies and Axis were evenly split in victories this time around. Our turnout was great and we had several new peeps join the ranks.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:10 AM
edoubleaz

Full Photo report is in.

http://www.desertarmor.com/DAK_Event...2-16-2013.html

Old 02-17-2013, 08:17 AM
Pzjgr

Was great to meet you and your family! Had a good time. I really liked seeing your Leopard 2 and Panther in person!

Name:	Db85844.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1853061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92683.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	1853062  
Old 02-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We really enjoyed ourselves yesterday.

Pa co chu puk and family were a pleasure that lasted all day. We enjoyed you all very much. Plus, Pa co chu puk really had some nice tanks. Both the Leo2 and the HL Panther were well finished, and more impressively (to me), they were both rock solid battlers. The Leopard was as lethal as feared. I noticed that Pa co chu puk could drive it very well. For those of you who haven't driven a Leo 2, it can be a handful...especially in a battle. Pa co chu puk really showed off his skills by manuvering it in some very tight quarters. His full option conversion of a HL Panther was first rate as well. It was well built, and well handled in battle. I was the unfortunate victim of it more than once.

We had a ton of fun with the whole DAK crew. Lunch was great, the fellowship was great, and it was nice to make a few new friends. The battlefield expansion was very nice, and I noticed that it really changed things up. All in all, it was a great day. We're looking forward to the next one.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Rustytrax

Cool battle and lots of nice builds. One tank though caught my eye. I notice the Jumbo appeared to have been armored up. I couldn't really see from the pictures but if you know the tank maybe you can post a front shot.
Also what is that screen material on Cabana Boy? Looks cool.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:59 PM
edoubleaz

All answers to the JUMBO can be found on the build Page. Only missing element is I added duckbilled track.

http://www.desertarmor.com/DAK_PROJECTS/JUMBO.html

The Screen material is Vinyl screen door material used in an attempt to make Somerfield matting. That was chicken wire added to allow camoflage to be added. Branches etc.
Most tanks had a large swath all down the sides.

http://www.desertarmor.com/DAK_PROJE...abana_Boy.html
Old 02-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Pah co chu puk

We are back at home in Colorado now. We took an extra day to drive home so we could take Route 66 and see the Meteor Crater. Even a 50,000 year old explosion is cool to see, it is a very big hole in the ground, impressive to say the least. It was a nice topper to a great trip.

Thanks guys, for all the kind words about my tanks. Your complements carry extra meaning for me because I was very impressed with several of the custom/scratch builds DAK members have created. There is some great skill among the Phoenix area tankers, a real benchmark for all of us to shoot for.

I also hope that we can do more networking among tank clubs like this. It helps the hobby as a whole and is lots of fun. We had a great time there. With some luck and planning DAK can battle with FRAG this summer in Denver and beat the heat.

This trip was a “spur of the moment” vacation for us inspired by the weather report from edoubleaz because we were tired of cold and snow. Next time we will plan it more and see if we can bring along Andy from Durango and his 7 year old son too. They have a nice Sherman that kicks Panther butts, and a KT to be reckoned with as well. His son is as ruthless in battle as my boy.

Lastly, I want to say thanks again for letting us come and “play” with you guys (and gals). We all had a great time in Phoenix. We will wear our new T-shirts with pride.

Greg

<o></o>

Name:	Zx72538.jpg
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	1853727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54406.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	1853728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26281.jpg
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	1853729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22538.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	1853730  
Old 02-18-2013, 10:19 PM
streetsquid

Greg,
Glad to hear you made it home safely and really glad to hear you enjoyed yourself here at DAK! As I mentioned to you several times on Saturday, our field may not be up to snuff with some of the other fields, but we focus on having a good time, and building friendships that last. Can't thank you enough for taking the time, effort and dollars to come down and participate in our battle day! Was a true pleasure not only meeting you but also getting to know you and the family, and you are more than welcome back anytime!

I can only echo the earlier sentiments, your tanks are a beautiful thing and the digital camo on the Leo truly has to be seen to be believed, that is more art than hobby by any definititon. I consider myself a somewhat decent painter and I've painted models for most of my life, rarely do I come across things that totally throw me for a loop, but when I saw your Leo I was at a loss for words. Very impressive indeed!

I agree we should see if we can do more networking between the clubs, I think its a great idea to grow the hobby and share ideas and techniques. We'll have to see about coordinating a trip to the northeast in the future.

Dillion looks good flying the DAK colors at at the edge of that big hole in the ground, hopefully next time you do visit you can bring Andy and his son along as well, the more the merrier!

Until next time be well, and thanks again!
Craig (Streetsquid)