Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:52 AM
Muttdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

I thought the teslas were catching fireafter being submerged in the Hurricane sandy disaster up in New York last October? Could have sworn Iread an article on Drudge report showing them burnt to the ground but Icould be wrong.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:06 AM
pgmeyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never heard of any incident where a Tesla burned it's battery. They are built in California and there are almost none on the east coast yet. That should change fairly soon because the Model S has 10,000 backorders now. I know that the Tesla battery designers worked with the same tech that is in the Dreamliner, Cobalt Oxide - and they have quite solid test results with their pack. There is an 85Kwh pack in the high performance model. I hope the Tesla is successful, because it will lead the world again in automotive technology. The Chinese are working very hard on long range electric automobiles as well. Volume goes up and price drops -

Tesla is now building new 480 volt Supercharger stations in the east coast Boston/Washington corridor - can refill 50% charge in 30 minutes. That's 50% of an 85 Kwh battery pack, or 150 miles.

As in other lithium tech that we use in our airplanes, I anticipate being able to use the new battery chemistry in our hobby. I will never go back to NiCads after using the lithium nanophosphate in my big birds for servo power and ignition. I love the 5x charge rate of the newer Lipo packs, even though I only charge at 4x to be conservative. In 15 minutes you are ready to fly your electric again.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 AM
Muttdog

I know this it off topic and it will bemy last post. I was wrong, it was the Fisker that caught fire after being submerged by the Sandy Floods.
Nonetheles, Electric cars are not very appealing to me. I know the stats are impressive but run times at high power levels are disappointing and Ijust love hearing an american V-8 or Italian supercar V-12 screaming at full song. It's part of the experience.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Muttdog

OKback to flying! It was good to get the GSS back in the air this weekend but I did notice one thing. Compared to my other 2 planes the GSSdoes terrible snaps. In fact I am not even sure that I am doing a correct snap. It appears like it is flying through the snap instead of stalling a wing. My other 2 planes snap so fast that sometimes it over rotates before Icatch them. The GSS looks more like a corkscrew. Idid move the CGback but there really seems to be no change. I domake sure to pull elevator just before adding rudder/aileron to initate the stalland Ican snapmy other planes with ease.Ialso started doing spins with it this weekend and noticed the same corkscrew effect. It took forever just to make 2 rotations. After that I added more Elevator throw and that made the spins come alive but not much better with the snaps. I have heard that planes with thick wings like the GSS do not snap well but I really don't know anything about that. Any thoughts?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:48 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Consider how thick the wings are on many of the 3D planes (relatively speaking).

If you noticed no ill effects moving the CG back, maybe move it further? Note: Not a rookie move. Don't try this/listen to me if you don't already know your plane really well!!

You've gone too far when the nose no longer drops when inverted and you need to feed in some down occasionally on final because the nose is getting to high and the plane is slowing too much.... I guess what I'm trying to say is it's not going to just fall out of the air suddenly if you get it too far back.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:13 AM
Muttdog

I feel pretty confident that my CG is pretty close. When I pull up to 45 and roll to inverted it needs almost no down elevator and level inverted flight only requires a little more input. I am starting to think my Week rudder servo is part if not all of the solution. Iplan on upgrading that as well as switching to the dubro hinges later in the year (I know I should have listened when I was building the plane in the first place). When I switched to high rate elevator setting it definitely improved the spin charachteristics. Keep in mind that I am just learning these maneuvers so I may be doing something wrong as well. practice practice practice.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:50 AM
ahicks

Seems like no matter how good you are at any maneuver, you're still learning how to do it? One of the reasons I enjoy flying - and why I still manage to break a plane on occasion!

Something to consider as well, the Sportster was never intended to be a really good acrobat. It's setup, designed as a sport plane first - and part of that requires that it be FAIRLY acrobatic? When you start pushing that envelope, you've possibly outgrown the design compromises that make it a great Sunday flyer? Might be time to start shopping for an airframe with more advanced capability.....
Old 01-25-2013, 05:13 AM
Muttdog

I have been drooling over that new Hangar 9 Carden Extra 300 but to be honest the GSS is way more capable then Iam. My main goal this year is to learn the Imac basic program and possibly enter a few competitions to see how Istack up. I think the GSSwill be perfect for that so I have no intentions of moving on just yet. Doesn't mean I may not set a few hundred aside when I can for that Extra. I wish they didn't make it lime green as I can't get it out of my head. I ride a Kawasaki MX bike that is also lime green so it is a little close to my heart. Amazing how we justify these things
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93663.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1844103  
Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 AM
azalner
My Feedback: (8)

My GSS is strictly for Sunday flying and shooting endless touch and goes. When I want to burn holes in the sky this is what I use.

Name:	Hf99202.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1844128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56041.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1844129   Click image for larger version

Name:	In25943.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1844130  
Old 01-25-2013, 06:55 AM
Muttdog

Great looking airplane. My next plane will be a serious aerobat like that for sure. Already saving my pennies.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:32 AM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My "Spacewalker" landing gear broke after about 20,000 landings. Had to bend it back into shape about 50 times, mostly due to some bad crosswind landings. The good thing is that one side just fell off when I picked it up after it landed, the washer on the bolt held it in place. Didn't even break a prop. I have a spare set of the Spacewalker gear, but I think I'll go with the Giant Stick gear, it seems to be a little stronger and still has some flex.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:40 AM
ahicks

I did that with my 80" Katana a while back. Beautiful 3 point landing, but as soon as it slowed one wing dropped to the ground? Gear failed right at the bend. What can you say? I've straightened that one so many times it didn't owe me a thing!

Katana is pretty tall, so to make it look right I put some really big gear I had laying around on it. No clue where they're from, but they say 1/3 scale on them! Probably rated for 25lbs, seriously doubt this 13.5lb plane will ever bend them.... without littering the field with lots of balsa bits?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:38 AM
Joystick TX

I have two sets of big gear that have no give at all with a 14 lb plane. I'm afraid to use them on my plane because if I hit one of the many holes the gear will just rip off and not bounce.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:43 AM
Muttdog

Steve:
You may want to check a few posts back at my LG for the GSS. If you remember my LGwas not strong enough so instead of re designing it or using thicker aluminum Ijust took some music wire andbent it to fit the bottom shape of the LG. Then I took some aluminum tube that barely fit over the music wire and welded the aluminum tubes to the bottom of the gear with the music wire trapped in the aluminum tubes. This added so much strength but still allowed flex to absorb the big hits and it added very little weight. It has worked so well that I can't begin to explain. It really wasn't that difficult and even if you can't weld any shop would charge peanuts. I would also be happy to get it done for you as I have a top notch welder at my disposal

Name:	Rp42615.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1847845  
Old 02-04-2013, 04:57 AM
pgmeyer

Nicely designed mod - sort of a "captured spring" technique. Very cool -
Old 02-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Muttdog

Thanks PG. I went back and forth for a while to come up with what I thought wasthe best solution.I mount a video camera just behind the LGso it sees everything. You could see the gear soaking up the landings just like it's supposed to. Absorbing shock was the main reason Idid the LGmod in the first place as the wing mount offers no impact absorption properties but during and after the install I found many more reasons to do it (looks, transport in my truck, looks etc)
Old 02-04-2013, 07:04 PM
Joystick TX

Muttdog - Thanks for the idea, but I am going to take the Giant Stick gear from my unfinished "Bell Hop" aircraft scratch build project, which has been going pretty slow, and use it for the GSS. I have another Giant Stick gear on the way, it seems to be perfect for the GSS and I don't think it will require springs or any other mods. I'm getting lazy in my old age.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:22 AM
Muttdog

No problem, just thought I'd put it out there. I have been flying my GSSfor the last 3 weeks and all were fantastic. We have been having 10-15 knot winds lately and my confidence is getting better and better in those conditions. I got the spin down pretty good now. What I found to improve them was more elevator and I realized that I was not waiting for the stall. If I wait for the stall before moving the sticks it spins nice and tight and fast but if Idon't wait for it then it simply spirals very slowly in a corkscrew fashion. I also found that it wants a lot of elevator input before initiating a snap roll. I still can't get them as good as my other plane but they are getting better. Besides the snaps and some knife edge practice most of my flights are practicing the basic IMAC routine. It really is helping my flying and judging by the 2 compliments I got from fellow pilots this week it is not just in my head. It feels good when others you know tell you how much better you are getting. My J-Tec muffler bolts rattled loose so Ineed to remove the cowl to fix. I haven't had the cowl off in months so this is a good time to take a peak inside. Won't be flying for 2 weeks as that pesky job keeps poking into my fun. Hope you guys in the cold get some chances to fly.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:41 AM
Joystick TX

Glad someone else isgetting to do some flying. Mine has been cut by about 75% due to other stuff this year. Will be another two weeks before I can fly again.

I feel your pain on the loose muffler issue.Went through thatwith my Syssa, but found an easy fix for the old style muffler,nowhave the new style mufflers on my engines.

BTW-I ordered a prop from Syssa recently and got an order confirmation, looks like they are really trying to get thier customer service issue resolved. The 18.5x5.5 Vess prop works great on the GSS. Will try to put that on my Bell Hop to start with, but may end up with the 18x8.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:52 AM
Muttdog

Oh boy I have a problem. I have a terrible case of new plane fever and I'm afraid there is only one cure. I really want that new Hangar 9 Carden Extra 300 but the problem is I do not have enough money, room, time etcto maintain 2 giant scale airplanes as well as the rest of my fleet. That means one has to go to make way. My pulse and Jupiter are really not worth very much so that means the GSS may have to go. It will be a sad day to see her go but Ihave been having a blast learning the IMAC routine and I really think that is the direction I want to head. Seeing as how the GSSis not a scale plane that leaves me stuck in the basic class so as much as Ilove it, it is time to think about letting her go to a new hangar. What do you guys think it is worth and where is the best place to try and sell it. I have a shipping operation at my work so I can ship it but of course local pickup would be best. I just don't know what it is worth. Maybe some of the experts can help me out and let me know. Here is some quick details:
Airframe and engine have approximately 15 - 20 hours (about 3/4 of a year of flying)
DLE30 with J-tec Pitts Muffler
Hitec Metal Gear servos
Fiberglass pushrod upgrade with heavy duty ball links
Landing gear moved to fuselage
Tail brace kit

I am going to remove my receiver and flight batteries so that is all that is needed to complete. The plane is in Excellent condition and never damaged. I was thinking somwhere in the $600 range as I have well over $1000. into it but I do not know if that is off base or not. Interested in your guys' opinions
Old 02-08-2013, 07:30 AM
Joystick TX

Only 15 to 20 hours? That is not even broken in. I get thatmany hours offlying on my GSSin a month, or at least I did for a couple of years. Been slowing down this year due to building and two other hobbies.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Muttdog

I try to fly 3 to 4 10 minute flights on Sundays when I can but the GSS was not the plane I flew every weekend. I rotate 2 other planes so I did a best guess. My main passion is Riding MX bikes and I do that every saturday so there is only so much time in the day. Ialsoown my own business as well and that is a 50-60 hour per week gig. Iwish Icould fly as much as some of you out there and one day I hope to get there but right now the planes have to take a back seat to the dirtbikes until my body says enough is enough (turning 40 this year.....UGHHH!). LHS just called me and said the got the extras in. Going to drool over it after work. I put the GSS on Craigslist asking $750. Not sure what I will take yet but I am not going to give it away. I have a lot of time and pride into her and Idon't need another plane so we will see what happens. It will be a sad day to see her go, that is for sure.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:00 AM
CB36

Regarding Muttdog's wanting to sell:

I recently wanted to sell a NIB giant scale Extra and advertised it here. I got some responses and a fellow from reasonably nearby, (1 1/2 hrs), agreed to purchase. I checked on shipping and it was nearly $200!!!! It seems it wasn't the weight, but the size of the box that put it out of sight. This was from a shipping center that looked at all the options. We eventually met mid way and exchanged.

When I asked the folks at the shipping center why the cost was SO much more than when you buy it from a hobby distributor, I was told the big distributors have special rates that we mere mortals don't have access to.

Has anyone figured out how to ship a big plane with out a deal-breaking ship cost?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:41 AM
KenD
My Feedback: (65)

Did you check with the bus line?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:53 AM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Hi CB36,

To begin with, the "shipping center" was correct concering discounts offered to frequent shippers, . . . but their main objective is to MAKE MONEY as another "middle man". If you can locate your nearest UPS office, they usually have a shipping counter for walk in folks. FedEx
may offer a similar service, I just don't have personal eperience to verify.

Then there is Greyhound Bus package service where you need to have a "terminal" close to both seller & buyer. The package does have to be taken to and picked up at the terminals and sometimes they keep "funny" hours. They ship packages using a space available philosophy, meaning it may take an extra day or two if personal luggage dictates. They also offer two levels of service. a standard and premium - but they will probably only mention the premium. You would have to ask concerning the standard.

With careful packaging, I've been fortunate to experience good results with both UPS and Greyhound.

Hope this helps

T-man49 in Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.