Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

why is nitro hated by some???

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:48 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: why is nitro hated by some???

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

There are those that want a more simplistic approach and those that don't. I think we can all agree (depending on which side of the fence you're on) that each side has its advantages and disadvantages. I've found, for my budget, running glow power is cheaper. My fuel is $10/gal or less, and other than changing/charging Rx batteries, I don't have the need to tinker much. Granted, I have roughly 16years experience which helps in the tuning aspect. It takes time to get the 'ear' for it, but if you're mechanically inclined it doesn't take long to 'get it'. Believe it or not, I got a far better understanding of tuning from running airplane engines. Yes they are easier to tune and set up, but they operate in much the same fashion as a car engine. Electric has its pros and cons as well; this isn't and never will be a cut and dry subject, and it will rage forever.

At the end of the day, a hobbyist needs to use and run what he/she is most comfortable with. In reality, operating costs are not a whole lot different between the two. I saw a buddy puff two LiPo packs in one run. He wasn't abusing it either. It was just their time. Chock up another $50 for a pair of packs and get back at it. Remember, nothing lasts forever.

Whatever makes you happy, by all means do it. Don't let the next guy (or gal) tell you it's wrong because they think so. Opinions are like a-holes and mustangs... Everyone has one and noone cares.
Ahahaha.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:04 AM
tony0707

This mostly applies to what i flytwo cycle glo
There is a very definite handling LEARNING curve with nitro engines
Most will run there first engine too lean causing a lot of heat build up ( warping them ) that will damage the aluminum the engines are built fromand trash them
The break in can shorten the engines life greatly if not done correctly
If done correctly and run on the right fuel and prop ( airplanes ) , they will last for a very long timeYEARS
Some of mine are 20 plus years old and used a lot
Preventing any heat build up of any kind is the key to longevity
Air leaks of any kind cause excessive heat and must be identified quickly by an experienced glo handler
A glo engine in theory should NEVER be run lean , but it does happen from changes in the air temp and sudden air leaks that can be caused by a number of things
Air leaks can be identified by a sudden change in the engines performance -when the engine starts to run LEAN ( RPM's run higher than normal at idle or top end - on a tach ) on the usual needle valve settings
Air in fuel lines is one source for example
TAP the head -QUICKLY -to feel the amount of heat being producedfrom time to time so you know when it is running LEAN and is too HOT
Best to -let the engine cool completely after setting the engine up for the day-
then start it again to see if it runs the same when you restart it
That eliminates any possible heat issues that may have occurred during the first days run up
Working with a good tach will keep you in touch with any unusual unexpected increases in RPM -which is a sign of an air leak or a lean setting until you lean to identify the engines correct sound by ear
When both NV are set correctly -a clean throttle transition should follow
Old 02-16-2013, 10:47 AM
tes21966

I am more into planes than cars. However, I do have a couple of cars. One Nitro Jato and One Electric Slasher. I LIKE NITRO in the planes and cars. Yes it is messy and expensive but I like the sound, the smell, and dont have to have a sack full of expensive batteries that require long times to charge for only a few minutes of run time. With nitro you add more fuel and go. Luckily the area I RC in does not get bent out of shape over the noise. I do not dislike electric but just prefer nitro. It is how I started and what I am more comfortable with. Just my 2 cents worth.

Electric, Nitro, or Gas this is a great and fun hobby
Old 02-16-2013, 11:32 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had electrict cars but no nitro ones ,i do howver have gas ,nitro and electrict planes ,i think electrict is great if you have plenty of charged batterys to take with you but if you want to fly all day the last thing i enjoy is charging batterys from a car or like the big electrict guys do by bringing a generater to the field and all the stuff needed. It takes a long time to charge big lipo batterys in some of my birds. It just faster to stop at a gas station and mix up a gallon of 2 cyle mixture and fly for a couple days on it. Nitro has become expensive but im not going to convert my stuff to electrict after i have nitro motors already in them for 20 years. IAm leaning more and more towards electrict now because the price of e-brushless motors and batterys has come down in the last 8 years but i will always own some nitro and gas planes. This is one of my 99 inch wingspan electrict planes i scratch built and i will probly build more if and when the charging time gets faster. BTW Electrict is the only way to go for multi motor airplanes because you never have to worry about motor failure while you fly. joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85397.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1852776  
Old 02-16-2013, 01:22 PM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: joebahl

I have had electrict cars but no nitro ones ,i do howver have gas ,nitro and electrict planes ,i think electrict is great if you have plenty of charged batterys to take with you but if you want to fly all day the last thing i enjoy is charging batterys from a car or like the big electrict guys do by bringing a generater to the field and all the stuff needed. It takes a long time to charge big lipo batterys in some of my birds. It just faster to stop at a gas station and mix up a gallon of 2 cyle mixture and fly for a couple days on it. Nitro has become expensive but im not going to convert my stuff to electrict after i have nitro motors already in them for 20 years. IAm leaning more and more towards electrict now because the price of e-brushless motors and batterys has come down in the last 8 years but i will always own some nitro and gas planes. This is one of my 99 inch wingspan electrict planes i scratch built and i will probly build more if and when the charging time gets faster. BTW Electrict is the only way to go for multi motor airplanes because you never have to worry about motor failure while you fly. joe
If you have a good charger and good lipo's that can be charged at 2c then it should only take about 30 minutes but I agree I like just filling and going.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:37 PM
joebahl

They have just came out with a 60 size gas motor and i think they did to compete with nitro and electrict planes. joe
Old 02-16-2013, 02:41 PM
spog1

Gas can't compete with nitro or electric, the power to weight ratio is horrible. Maybe with some nitrous oxide it would be on par.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I choose not to go with nitro because the fuel cost are pretty outrageous and I live on a mountain with no hobby shop so to get the fuel that cost way too much I have to waste fuel in my real car which isnt cheap either.
Haha rant over
Old 02-16-2013, 04:31 PM
joebahl

ORIGINAL: spog1

Gas can't compete with nitro or electric, the power to weight ratio is horrible. Maybe with some nitrous oxide it would be on par.
Here is their new gas motor on a3-d profile plane .Tell me what you think about its power. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJqTb...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-16-2013, 04:42 PM
t-max97

Here is their new gas motor on a3-d profile plane .Tell me what you think about its power. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJqTb...ature=youtu.be
That's not gas that's nitro.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:45 PM
big JC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! That's gasoline? Awesome video, killer skills....looks like fun!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:49 PM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: big JC

Wow! That's gasoline? Awesome video, killer skills....looks like fun!
No that's a glow engine.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:51 PM
spog1

Here is their new gas motor on a3-d profile plane .Tell me what you think about its power
You guys beat me to it, he's running 15% wildcat glow fuel. On gas that thing would barely fly.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:23 PM
big JC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is their new gas motor on a3-d profile plane .Tell me what you think about its power
You guys beat me to it, he's running 15% wildcat glow fuel. On gas that thing would barely fly.
Ah...ok. Almost had to rethink the whole electric thing....almost
Old 02-16-2013, 06:31 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Evolution does have a 10cc (.61 cu in.) gasoline fueled spark ignition engine. It's power output is on par with a decent .46 sport engine from what I've been told. Norvel has a .40 gasoline engine using glow plugs that is being 'beta tested' as well. I think anything smaller than 6cc might be too finicky to run gasoline. The carb would be larger than the piston on a 3.5cc engine; that is if a walbro pump carb is used. Rumor has it the Evo 10cc gas engine uses muffler pressure like its glow counterparts although I thought it had a pumped carb on it.

Either way, whether its powered by fuel or batteries.... Drive it like you stole it (just not when it's 10*F outside)...
Old 02-16-2013, 06:49 PM
t-max97

Evolution does have a 10cc (.61 cu in.) gasoline fueled spark ignition engine. It's power output is on par with a decent .46 sport engine from what I've been told. Norvel has a .40 gasoline engine using glow plugs that is being 'beta tested' as well. I think anything smaller than 6cc might be too finicky to run gasoline. The carb would be larger than the piston on a 3.5cc engine; that is if a walbro pump carb is used. Rumor has it the Evo 10cc gas engine uses muffler pressure like its glow counterparts although I thought it had a pumped carb on it.

Either way, whether its powered by fuel or batteries.... Drive it like you stole it (just not when it's 10*F outside)...
I was shocked at it's price only $199 for a gasoline engine.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:59 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: t-max97

What do you expect? It's made in Taiwan or China, and probably manufactured for $20 or less.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Dolphpb

Gotta love the smell of Nitro in the morning....Electrics are fine and may someday, if it hasn't already, take over the market. But I will always connect R/C planes/trucks with that awesome nitro burning smell. Besides, it's a guy thing...Electrics don't sound tough. A great running nitro engine just snorts horsepower....NITROFOREVER!!!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:36 PM
t-max97

[quote]ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: t-max97

What do you expect? It's made in Taiwan or China, and probably manufactured for $20 or less.
[quote]

Haha I know but it normally doesn't matter.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:23 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thats a bold statment and very general, what motors did u compare the power to weight ratios?

i think they can be compared, but it needs to be more specific.

Like a good example would be comparing the...
HPI Baja,
HPI Baja Nitro based of the savage.
HPI Baja Flux

Old 02-16-2013, 08:38 PM
spog1

thats a bold statment and very general
Prove it wrong.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:42 PM
t-max97

Proove it true....[:-] lol
Old 02-16-2013, 08:44 PM
spog1

You ask me for infinite examples, I'm asking you for one.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:47 PM
t-max97

Haha im just kidding dude I don't have any examples.... Typically it's true that gasoline engines are heavier and bigger for the same power as a smaller nitro but that doesn't mean it will always be like that.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:49 PM
t-max97

You ask me for infinite examples, I'm asking you for one.
Infinite examples......really??[&:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.