Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Trimsolvent. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Trimsolvent. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:28 AM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trimsolvent. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

To prevent trim and covering from coming off a simple solution is to use Top Flight Clear Coat spray on your finished model.

I've been doing this for years and on each treated model I've NEVER had the trim or covering come off.

The Top Flight spray seals the edges cleanly and fuel does not react with it.

-

Trim SOLVENT does exactly that, dissolve trim and glue!

The components attack and dissolve plastic.

Put a few drops on a foam cup and see.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:45 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: kwblake

Hey. So this is going to be my first MAJOR rant. Bought a Twinstar, and decided to use trimsolvent to try to keep the trim attached. Didn't use anything on my Nexstar, and a good chunk of the trim fell off. I figured live and learn. Yes, I went over it with an iron. So I went out to my playpen, and got everything ready. Yes, I read the instructions on the bottle. Got everything cleaned off, and opened the bottle. My little shop is about 400 sq. ft. but the fumes that came off that bottle, would knock a Moose down at 1000 ft. Next, I went and grabbed one of my 1/2 masks, and a couple of P100 cartridges, which should handle a nuisance level of most solvents. WRONG. I could still smell the solvent through the mask. On top of that, the little bit that I did get done, looked like a hooker in a rainstorm. The black bled all over the rest of the colours. So I did get that cleaned up, and that was the end of the HOBBICO TRIMSOLVENT. Tomorrow, this S_ _ _ is going to be disposed of at my local dump, which does have an area for TOXIC substances. My God, some 16 year old kid, who doesn't know better, could go and buy this garbage thinking it would only do what he or she wanted. To stick down the trim on their plane. HOBBICO really needs to give their head a shake, selling a product like this. I still have a headache. UNBELIEVABLE, nowadays you can't say s_ _ _ ,but companys can still sell garbage like this. OK so I feel a little better now, but this crap is still going to the dump. I can live with the trim falling off, but I CANNOT live, and I don't think anyone should, with this crap. As I said, I do feel a little better.<script id=''overlay_tmpl'' type=''text/html''><div id='''' class=''_mp3rocket_overlay_style'' style=''left: ; top: ; width: ; height: ''>
</script>
Stop your *****ing and don't use it again. Trim solvent works fine removing CA from your skin.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:52 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone above talked about cleaning their heating irons. I clean mine by rubbing them over a dryer sheet then rubbing it clean on a soft rag.

I keep one handy while covering so I don't have to move. ( old age ya know) lol ENJOY !!! RED
Old 02-14-2013, 06:39 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Trim solvent has served me well on brand new covering jobs that have not seen oil.

Bob
Old 02-17-2013, 04:03 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

FWIW, a P100 cartridge, by definition, is effective for PARTICULATE airborne (dusts). It is 99.97% effecient, hence the "100" designation. For organic solvents, you need an organic vapor cartridge (typically an activated charcoal). These can be purchased either alone, or in combination with a P100 filter. If you read the spec sheets provided by the manufacturers, you'll see what the filter is effective for. Also, be aware that when manufacturers refer to "fumes" they are referring to something other than what many people think they mean. Fumes are actually an airborne particulate that is smaller than a certain size. Metal fumes and smoke are two common examples. What we get from organic solvents are "vapors."

Organic vapor cartridges have a limited life dependent on the solvent concentration. In a small, unventillated space, the concentration of the organic vapor may be high enough to quickly overcome the filter. If you smell the vapor through the mask, it is no longer working, and should be disposed of.

Brad
Old 02-18-2013, 02:37 PM
bikerbc

Thanks for that information Brad....I for one was not aware of that...
Old 02-22-2013, 04:04 PM
mikegordon10

What with your sensitivity maybe model building is not for you. Maybe stamp collecting might be better.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:27 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

What with your sensitivity maybe model building is not for you. Maybe stamp collecting might be better. 

Have you licked a stamp lately? Like that glue won't kill ya ...,   [8D]
Old 02-25-2013, 12:29 PM
chopper man

I've had alot of luck using clear LustreKote. After assembly I lightly sand and then spray several coats. Covering stays on with no problem.

chopper