Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Flying on my own property

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flying on my own property

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:15 PM
GeeBeer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying on my own property

I want to fly on my own property but before I cut down a few trees, I want to make sure that I indeed do have enough room to fly. I like to fly 2m sail planes with electric motors, 60 size trainers & sport planes, I also fly pylon but will NOT be flying those here.

My property is a bit over 10 acres... and is roughly 1450ft long X 300ft deep. Surrounding my property are 60' pine trees. I have no doubt there is enough room to take off and fly.. but since I'd be in the middle, would 750ft be enough to bleed off enough air speed to land after clearing the 60ft trees?

I think I will have no issues, but what didn't I think of? BTW Sound isn't an issue, I butt up to 12,000 acres of Forrest. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2013, 09:22 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Flying on my own property

It depends on your skill and what you are flying. Personally, I wouldn't have any problem getting any of my planes down in that amount of room, especially if the runway was wide enough to make a short base leg to drop over the trees and a banked turn into final instead of a straight in approach. But I can see where a touchy plane like a Giles 202 might be dicey to slow down and bring in smoothly with the area you describe using a straight in final. Your sail planes might also be a little tricky to get settled in without pancaking them down.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:53 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fly at home sometimes with only 5 acres, however I only fly certain planes here mostly 40 size stuff that will drop in and land easily in smaller distance. I am pretty certain I could land my larger planes here but I would not chance it in my situation as I do have neighbors. They love to see me fly the planes, but I am more safety contious.

Why not just try some smaller stuff that you know won't be a problam and see how it all works out? You will be able to size it up after some air time then you can increase size as you see fit and are familiar with all the variables. 10 acres should be pretty good depending on how the land is laid out.

I really wish I had about 20 acres here then I would fly here most of the time. 20 acres is a decent amount depending on land location, neighbors, etc. Hope it works out well for you.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:02 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think about the prevailing winds. Airplanes take off and land into the wind. They don't do anything else safely. What that does to your dimensions is make one of them the critical measurement. It also makes some places perfect and others unusable.

Wind also makes your runway longer. In any case, it will have to be considered.

Want really good advice on how to judge your present field? Ask a model airplane to show you. Get a small foamy and try to fly it where you plan to fly your big ones. You'll get good lessons in which way the wind blows most often and what that wind does to your runway and clear flying zone. You'll discover what the wind does to a model that's in the turbulence created by wind coming into the zone over 60' pines and what it's like to be around the pines on the downwind side.

You don't have to use a foamy of course. They're cheap however, and trust me, 12,000 acres of forrest can hide an expensive plane just like a cheap one.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:05 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

The rule of thumb that I've heard is: 10 acres over fly area and 1 acre for pits.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:23 AM
da Rock

Let me suggest that you look at an existing model flying field that is "nestled in the trees". The trees are tall and surround 3 sides. It is a close place to fly. You'll notice the trees closely surround a paved flying strip. The open area is rectangular to match the strip.

It's called Hobby Park and has a healthy RC club that uses it year round. It is not a field without challenges. There is a sewage plant under flight path off the NW end of the runway. The trees are solid in almost every direction other than where the treatment ponds and a park pond are.

It was built by the town over 40 years ago. It's had CL contests there (notice the two paved circles to the NE of the RC runway) since it's beginning. The city allows anyone to fly there AMA or not, RC or CL.

BTW, the prevailing winds in our area usually have a westerly component in them. Keep in mind that solid trees of significant height and proximity can lessen the impact of unfavorable winds when those winds are flyable. They also produce turbulence but it's significance varies with the wind speed.

Do a search in Google Maps using: "Hobby Park, West Clemmonsville Road, Winston-Salem, NC"

It works. It is a challenge for many, but works for all who respect the details of the site. They aren't exactly 'small details'. The other two RC clubs in town make fun of 'flying in the bowl' but then all three make fun of each other like humans usually do. If your site works out for you, you will discover you will be flying most of the time looking UP. Ain't no big deal however.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:46 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think your biggest problem will be turbulence. With any wind you are going to get a lot of it with those tall trees.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:51 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Here's another one that pretty tight,, We have a 10lbs plane size limit. Pretty close to the OPs size
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qxb...11&form=LMLTCC

I'm pretty sure I could slip my 50cc aerobats in there, but it would get me kicked out of the club I thinks,,, I and most guys fly electrics and Helis there, but a few fly 40-60 glow,,, in the right hands shouldn't be a problem,, you'd have to have some real skills to get a glider down in there but some spiral turns would bleed off speed and altitude, it's all do-able IMO
Old 02-17-2013, 05:32 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I fly at a few fields with tall trees on one side with a runway as long and longer than what you list. When the prevailing winds change and call for you to "come in over the trees" it always ends up in a longer touch-down than when coming in on the side with no trees. Larger planes experience it the worst especially those without flaps and those with "floaty" airframes. Even some smaller 60 size fast landing planes take a few attempts to get down.  It's not terrible but it would be much better without them.
If you can't remove them perhaps try and "top them" and that will help you  or just get a few Ultra-Sticks and practice high altitude/short field landings !
Old 02-17-2013, 12:51 PM
da Rock

Bing Maps has a cool picture of Hobby Park. Notice the CL guys in one of the two circles.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the RC runway is the pavement strip about 80' from the trees. The really long thin pavement in the trees is a Soap Box Derby track.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...en&FORM=HDRSC4
Old 02-17-2013, 12:54 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: da Rock

Bing Maps has a cool picture of Hobby Park. Notice the CL guys in one of the two circles.

http://www.bing.com/maps/,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Soap box derby track???
Old 02-17-2013, 01:22 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

This is a pretty tight field 400 ft runway less than 200 ft to the 90 ft trees at the one end then just over 250 ft to the 90 ft trees at the other and 400 to 500 ft parallel to the runway as well. Like flying in a bowl. This was at one time the field for the SAE Aerodesign. We had a 14 ft span lifting 40 plus lbs we flew here. I flew my 1/3 scale Pitts here for practice prior to the event. It was tight.

Dennis

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwWVlyGn3Qw[/youtube]
Old 02-17-2013, 02:03 PM
THERCAV8R
My Feedback: (283)

Hi, With the planes you mentioned you should have no problem. I lived on 5 acres and it was 300 feet wide and had another 300 feet of clear approach with trees as you describe. I flew a Sig 1/4 scale cub and sail planes 100 inch. with no problem. The biggest problem is depth perception as to when you are clear of the trees to let down. Before you go to all the trouble of cutting down trees, take a plane out there and see if you are comfortable with it. Fast pattern type planes ase not a good choice to fly there.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:23 PM
GeeBeer

Thank you for all your replies! After reading what has been said, looking at the satellite images of tight vields, and the video propworm posted... I have little doubt I will be able to fly what I want to fly from here. I went ahead and started cutting some trees wacked 15 down today. Its going to take a bit to complete but hopefully by summer I'll have a runway good enough for power planes. I probably have about 100 more to cut down haha!
Old 02-17-2013, 02:48 PM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: GeeBeer

Thank you for all your replies! After reading what has been said, looking at the satellite images of tight vields, and the video propworm posted... I have little doubt I will be able to fly what I want to fly from here. I went ahead and started cutting some trees wacked 15 down today. Its going to take a bit to complete but hopefully by summer I'll have a runway good enough for power planes. I probably have about 100 more to cut down haha!

Look into getting someone to harvest those trees. You will be surprised at the revenue it would generate.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:50 PM
larryak
My Feedback: (32)

Close (crabby) Neighbors? Cattle, farms etc? Might be a lot of "whacken" for nothing. Good luck. I fly at my place and as William Wallace said in Braveheart: Freeeeeeedom!!!!!! Good luck partner.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:31 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For a brief period, many years ago, I once flew at a field that had 50' powerlines and trees near the runway.

On approach, I was at least another 40 feet above that to allow for depth perception. Because sometimes you never know if the plane is behind the trees or has crossed the trees.

Because of the altitude, the planes ate up at least another 350 to 450 feet before being at an altitude where I would begin to level off and begin the flair. So for me, that was too close to be flying a 60 size Mustang there.

So, I built a small .32 Cessna so I could fly comfortably at that field. Most of the other guys had Fugly Sticks and trainers that could handle the tight space.

Never again!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:40 PM
SIMCO
My Feedback: (33)

You can come over to Grapevine, Texas for 114th aero squadron. About 500 ft usable ringed with trees. http://www.114thrc.org/ Fly big gas airplanes on it. It's just a different style of landing pattern. Lots of RCer's in the DFW area won't fly the field. I'm ok with that,no over crowding. Just need your AMA.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:53 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah, some of the FTW Thunderbirds were talking about your field once. I hear it's a great place to work on your crab skills. I've just joined up with Springtown RC who have a nice open space with two big honkin' oak trees right in the middle of the flying area. The facility is free though so beggars can't be choosers I suppose.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:42 PM
out2pasture

It should be fine. Just keep a ladder and one of those trimming saws on an extendable pole handy. :-)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56451.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	1853420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp45972.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	1853421  
Old 02-18-2013, 03:54 AM
PT19

Call me I use to fly in my pasture but now go to a club. I live on CR 715. 994-5260
Old 06-29-2013, 05:15 PM
BRodriguez

Hello there. I fly on my 10 acres and on a 40 acre parcel behind me. I have no problem because I take off and land on 20 acres behind me. your only problem may be crosswinds that cross across the 300 ft direction. I have a east , west and north, south runways. cut them with a bush hog. here in florida the winds change quickly and often. hope this is helpful to you, good luck, BCR
Old 06-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 20 acres and it's mostly woods. There is a pasture of 165 ft x 330 ft Ijust finished last fall and I have flown in it - barely. My GP 30mm EDF F-86 Sabre eats up 330 ft pretty quickly! I'd say to get a glider down you'd need a minimum 500 ft between trees. 600 ft would be better.

Also note - clearing trees is a LOT harder than cutting them down. Removing stumps and grading to level is much more work.

My little UMXBeast 3D does a lot better but it's still semi-tight depending on wind direction.

And Ihave to share it with sheep and lambs (see below link below).

http://youtu.be/LpnLIcKehWk