Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Why do people buy JJ Turbines?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Why do people buy JJ Turbines?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 04:48 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Why do people buy JJ Turbines?

It's the Special Sauce...
Old 02-17-2013, 06:25 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Larger RC turbines as a whole are overpriced, most of the cost in making turbines is the inconel fan, it takes the same amount of effort to sonically balance/x-ray a 80N turbine fan as it does a 200N. Inconel 718 is less than $10/lb

There is going to be a minimum cost to create a turbine, weather is a small 20N or a 160N, if you set a base price of say $1,500.00 than you should be able to make a 60N for $1500, or a 200N for about $2,000.00

Yes, as more people start getting to into the once considered elite sector of RC dominated by snobs and know-it-alls who sit on there high horse and poop rose petals; the demand will be met with cheaper and reliable alternatives.

In the last couple of years this has happened to Electrics and is currently happening to giant scale gas. 5-6 years ago a 3s 2100 10c discharge battery from thunder power would cost you $75.00, now a 35c Flightmax or Gen Ace battery is $15.00, same for brushless motors. 6 Years ago, if you wanted to fly Gas it was DA, or 3w, a DA-50 sold for $650.00, now you can get a DLE-55 for $315.00 and it is as reliable and produces more power, heck there are even cheaper versions coming out like the JC evo engine which are under $200.00

Its just an evolution, but eventually turbines will be a dime a dozen and be half or even less than half of what we pay today.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:20 PM
b.bixel
My Feedback: (123)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thumbing through my new RCJI "Turbine Test Special". There is a boat load of performance comparisons and new turbine tests. Hum, I'm not seeing any mention of JJ turbines.

Regards,
Bart
Old 02-17-2013, 09:22 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

Larger RC turbines as a whole are overpriced, most of the cost in making turbines is the inconel fan, it takes the same amount of effort to sonically balance/x-ray a 80N turbine fan as it does a 200N. Inconel 718 is less than $10/lb

There is going to be a minimum cost to create a turbine, weather is a small 20N or a 160N, if you set a base price of say $1,500.00 than you should be able to make a 60N for $1500, or a 200N for about $2,000.00

Yes, as more people start getting to into the once considered elite sector of RC dominated by snobs and know-it-alls who sit on there high horse and poop rose petals; the demand will be met with cheaper and reliable alternatives.

In the last couple of years this has happened to Electrics and is currently happening to giant scale gas. 5-6 years ago a 3s 2100 10c discharge battery from thunder power would cost you $75.00, now a 35c Flightmax or Gen Ace battery is $15.00, same for brushless motors. 6 Years ago, if you wanted to fly Gas it was DA, or 3w, a DA-50 sold for $650.00, now you can get a DLE-55 for $315.00 and it is as reliable and produces more power, heck there are even cheaper versions coming out like the JC evo engine which are under $200.00

Its just an evolution, but eventually turbines will be a dime a dozen and be half or even less than half of what we pay today.

Why every new person to turbines brings the same argument???
Been flying turbines for almost 20 years, and the prices have not change dramatically. There have been at certain points in time, more turbine manufacturers than glow engines
It is all in the numbers. Have you checked out the serial number in your turbines? they are in the hundreds or low 1000's. Inconel might be free, but the guy that sells 500 turbines at year needs to pay salaries, send kids to school, eat, pay for a house, etc etc....

Try to sustain your family and that of your employees selling 500 units a year of whatever product you want. heck make it 1000, and you see what you need to charge for each. Even if raw materials are free

So... unless turbines reach the popularity of helicopters, forget it.. prices will be what they are.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:45 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

You just described yourself.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:55 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I have idea for 100% success ,more advertising ,life tine warranty with no charge to second hand owner for warranty transfer ,cull name for turbines ,jj junior ( wasp II), jj1400 pidgin jj 1800 kitty and for jj3000 sumo .