Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Team Associated RC18T2, RC18B2 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 05:41 PM
miniskickass
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Team Associated RC18T2, RC18B2 Thread

hey gys i recently bought one of these rc18 b2/t2 kits and while its a great take on the old rc18s and it is working good now,when i bought and assembled the kit initially it was very tight and it seemed to bind up really bad it didnt roll freely or anything so i went over it a hundred times trying to find the problem but to no avail.i thought for sure that it was due to the belts being wway to tight so i adjusted the tension in small increments until the belts were literally hanging of the pulleys and it was the same!!but after 15 packs or so it loosenedc up pretty nice and runs free now .i was just wondering if anyone else had this problem with these kits or if it was just that i got a bad one?anyone have any idea?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:28 PM
burnineyes

I have not seen much info on this forum as far as the 2nd gen. RC18 goes, but on some other forums there is tons of great info available for these cars. The first thing to do is call or email Associated, they have updated the front gearbox to lower the front belt tension a bit. They will send it to you at no charge. Secondly, the pinion will rub the belt unless you are very careful when setting the gear mesh, even then sometimes it can be impossible to get it right. Depending on what motor you have, you can mount some motors in the two lower holes on the mount. This will lower the pinion away from the belt and give you better handling from a lower center of gravity. Depending on your pinion size you may be required to trim the screw boss sticking up from the chassis where the front gearbox attaches. Finally, most people have had issues with the rear diff rubbing on the spur gear. The kit instructions have you placing a single shim on each side of the rear diff, but moving the right side shim to the left side will add a bit of clearance. I also had to trim a bit of the flashing from the rear diff to give it even more clearance. After these fixes the car has been flawless for many race days. Alot of work, especially for an Associated car, but once I got it worked out the car has been nothing short of amazing.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Raguvian

Do you guys know what the battery holder dimensions are?

And does this car fit into a backpack? It seems like it'd be fun to put the car in my backpack and take it to classes with me, and then drive it around campus during breaks when I'm bored and stuck at school.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:21 PM
miniskickass

hey there so its been awile since i looked at this thread(and apparently its been awhile since anyone else has!!lol)and i have since traded my rc18b2 for a hotbodies d8 buggy withan ofna force.28 installed and a brand new in the box novarossi(apparently the guy i traded with REALLY likes minis!lol)anyways its been about a year since then and i thought about how much i liked the rc18b2(despite all the little problems with it)since ive gotten rid of it,so ifinally broke down and bought the kit again from my local hobbyshop(great hobbies)and i ordered a hobbywing 18 amp esc and 5200 kv motor combo from hobby partz and got some 1800 mah 2s turnigy lipos from hobbyking and sone duratraxx 1600 mah 2s lipos from great hobbies and the difference between the first rc18b2 kit and the second one i bought is like night and day!!!!the ball cups are nice and free on the new kit and the belt tension seems better because the car rolls much more freely than the first kit did!!so i have to say that all of my previous complaints are out the window!!this kit is nothing short of incredible!!!that being said i was wondering if ae redesigned anything or if thats just the nature of this kit(some being good and some being terrible??)?everything looks the same as the previous kit i built up?if anyone evr looks at this thread ever again maybe someone can let me know what the deal is with the first kit being awful and the new one i bought being amazing?hope to hear from someone soon!!
Old 04-13-2011, 10:48 PM
LOOKIN

Well I just bought the rc18B2/t2 kit and started assembling this thing. I am retiring the mini lst hoping I will get a more relyable mini. The first thing I found on you tube was squirrels review ..ouch I was nervous but after reading this I am more at ease. If anyone has some advice for me I would like to hear it. Thank you.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:14 AM
miniskickass

hey there lookin!!i think youll find that the rc18 b2 t2 is a far superior machine to the min i lst!!the first thing you will notice if you didnt mod the steering servos on the mlst is the difference in durability!!my mini lst's steering servos strips gears if i look at it funny!!lol!!if you want to have a really wild buggy and can afford it go brushless eith the rc18 for sure!!i have tried the t2/b2 kit with both the ez run 1/18 brushless system and the castle crearions 1/18 sidewinder system and beleive it or not the ez run systemis a better system but the customer service at castle creations is world class!!i cooked the esc from castle twice in the t2/b2 kit and called castle and they just told me to gie them the number for the hobby shop where i bought it and they would call them and yell them to give me a new one!!!no questions asked!! and they did this for me twice!! so its hard to beat that!!but the more ya run youre rc18 the better its gonna get and the more youll like it!! let me know how it goes for ya!!
Old 04-14-2011, 04:25 PM
LOOKIN

Great sounds good. I actually all ready bought a novak monguss 10.5 t I should have done more research but I bought the combo pack.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:11 PM
miniskickass

oh well hey novak makes some pretty kick ass stuff too man!!i guess that im always about how to maximize the bang for my buck which is why imentioned castle being that they have saver me about 400  by replacing the esc's that i was burning up!!but given an endless budget to build rcs then novak woud be right at the top of the electronics list!!i guess that the 1/18 stuff from novak is pretty resonably priced!!but yeah good choice with the novak system!!they really do make their stuff almost bullet proof !! keep us posted on yer 1/18 scale journey brother!!lol!!good luck dude!!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Patrik76

This is how my RC18B2 turned out

Old 04-15-2011, 03:24 AM
miniskickass

hey man thats really cool!!it looks pretty mean all black with the chromed the toyz sticker!!and i like the blue shock covers!!!!what are ya running for electrics??
Old 04-15-2011, 05:09 AM
Patrik76

I run stock electric 2.4 ghz and a reedy 5000kv (stock)
Old 04-15-2011, 04:07 PM
LOOKIN

I spoke with associated today and asked them if I need any upgrades they asked me about
The front gear cover and said if there are two protruding nipples and a small recess that means
You have the upgraded cover.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rp42778.jpeg
Views:	405
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	1594417  
Old 04-15-2011, 07:15 PM
miniskickass

did ya mean you wanted to know if ya needed any upgrades to run the brushless setup?cause thats one of associateds selling pointsfor the t2/b2,it's apparently engineered with todays high power brushless setups in mind!!what is the deal with the upgraded gear cover??im curious !!

Old 04-17-2011, 07:39 PM
LOOKIN

I was wondering if I had a modified / fixed front differential cover.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:36 AM
LOOKIN

Dang it, I can not get my reciever and ESC to fit, then I connected a 3 cell lipo to test my electronics and I can not get the steering servo to work What is the deal with that, is there a different configeration for the 10.5 / mongoose combo pack I need to look into?
Old 04-29-2011, 06:05 AM
Patrik76

Old 04-30-2011, 02:16 AM
LOOKIN

Very nice!!
Old 05-07-2011, 05:32 PM
rubber_junkie

whos running stock brushless? I can't get esc to get into set up mode help pls
Old 05-12-2011, 07:04 PM
rubber_junkie

sorted now
Old 08-24-2011, 06:19 PM
tornbb

hey guys, i pulled the trigger on one of these. i have been having an issue with the steering. im running an hs-55 with a mini-t servo saver. it likes to pull right and left occasionally during high speed runs. there is no binding and most of the slop in the steering has been fixed. i have tried other rx's and repositioning electronics with no luck. has anyone else had any issues like this? i love my b2 but its got me stumped on this one[&:]. any insight or thoughts would be great. thanks
Old 03-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Hey guys,
sorry, am I late to this thread or what?[&:]
I know it's late but Tornbb, you want a better servo saver like the Kimbrough. That will help a lot.

Now I have a question for you guys.
I just picked up a used RC18T2. The guy had the motor mounted wrong and it was causing MAJOR binding issues on the belt rubbing the pinion. I called Team Associated and they told me the pinion should be under the belt. I took the motor off and remounted as told and now she is smooth and silky. I plan on upgrading the steering block assy to the aluminum one with bearings. That should be nice and smooth compared to the stock one. I also want to upgrade the shocks. Could you guys tell me if the RC18T shocks fit the RC18T2?
I hope you guys are still around.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:52 PM
davidm816

Does anybody know if the rc18t2 brushless rtr comes with the updated diffs?
Old 02-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Wheelnut

David, good luck with your question. As you see my question above never got answered and that was a long time ago.
Sorry, but I don't know if my RC18T2 had updated diffs or not.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:36 PM
davidm816

I figured it was worth a shot. These guys seem like they know what they are talking about. Im building a nice 1/18 track In the backyard for the kids to practice on. I didnt want to buy cars that I would have to wrench on all the time and the mini revo seems like to much. I picked up some used brushless rc18t's instead.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:10 AM
Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: davidm816

I figured it was worth a shot. These guys seem like they know what they are talking about. Im building a nice 1/18 track In the backyard for the kids to practice on. I didnt want to buy cars that I would have to wrench on all the time and the mini revo seems like to much. I picked up some used brushless rc18t's instead.
How big is your back yard? Might have been better to go with 1/10 scale. 1/10 scale is usually more durable unless you spend some money to upgrade them. I have the Pede 4x4 and it is almost unbreakable.
The RC18T's are nice, but the diffs can be an issue unless you upgrade them. That is my faint memory of them.