Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

Improved mods for MXZ

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 05:21 AM
Brushlessed
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Improved mods for MXZ

Hurricane,
Can you please respond to my pm?
Thank you,
Alex
Old 02-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Brushlessed

Just ordered the new Castle Sidewinder WATERPROOF SV3 and 4600Kv 4 Pole motor.
Going to run it on 2S 9000mah.
I won the sled on eBay but I got it for only $50 with $30 shipping but I wonder if he is going to be stupid and re-list it and say he lost it or something...it has been four days and no shipping notification and I sent him an email with no response. The ad did say up to five business days for shipping so I am not all too concerened and he has (94) 100% feedback.
Just waiting for Hurricane's kits to be available again and we will be rolling

Old 02-10-2013, 02:43 PM
TechyJoe

hurricane

I sent you a personal email. Let me know if you got it.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:35 PM
Brushlessed

Got the sled here and everything, Castle 1406 and Sidewinder SV3 all ready to run!! Two 2S 5000 running in parallel, and my FlySky radio.
I ordered a 15T pinion for this motor. Sound about right? Thats what seemed best to my calc's.
Just anxiously waiting on Hurricane to get his next batch of kits out!!!!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:35 AM
TechyJoe

Alex

I think you would want to wire your batteries in series and not parallel, that is if your motor and ESC is rated to handle that voltage.

This will give you more power and speed. Wiring in parallel will just double your run time. Series will be just like adding a 4S lipo.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Brushlessed

Nope, the Sidewinder SV3 and 4600kv motor aren't up to the task with 4S. I'm sure it is possible to run, but the limits on the ESC and motor are 3S.
10000Mah is what I was looking for! I have a friend a little ways away from me and he said that with this setup on 2S it was pulling wheelies and was scared to go 3s, and he is a power-hungry driver!

Got my ESC mounted and the headlights working.
Appearantly the sidelights and the taillight DO NOT run on 6V.
Fried em I think it may have somthing to do with the fact that I didn't use a resistor....nevertheless they are done.
I knew I should've tested them with a lower voltage first! Oh well, 10 bucks on ebay for 10 amber LED's and 10red LED's isn't bad.
If anyone wants a couple amber or red LED's just shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to send a few of them to you for free.
Headlights run on 6v, along with the lights I just ordered. Running them off the BEC of the SV3.

Man I'm excited for this build, just CANT WAIT for the kits to be finished!!!!!!
He said a 2-3 week ETA for the kits as of Feb 7th.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Brushlessed

Would also like to see pictures of how someone studded their track....
How would the studs not slip out?
Old 02-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Mtn-Valley-Homes

I finally got mine running today for a little bit. Definitely needed shock adjusting/changing/tuning. I've got that better now but it's dark out. I need to work on strapping in the battery. I've got some velcro straps from an AX10 crawler but working on the best way of doing it.I put a Traxxas Velineon motor & esc in it. I didn't really figure out if it will be enough power because the shocks had issues. Probably will be plenty of power till I'm better at driving. Side lights & headlights working without resister but tail light is out. Not sure if that is from me or previous owner. I powered them off of the acessory/fan wire on the esc then ran it through the New Bright switch. From what I can tell, studs are in order. I would also like to see how they have been done. Hurricane, what size finish nails did you use?
It's getting close & I'm getting excited.
Nathan
Old 02-18-2013, 09:15 AM
JC8

does he include instructions with kits... I bought 2 and I'm struggling with the front end!!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Mtn-Valley-Homes

JC8,

What part of the front end are you having troubles with? I just got mine done & probably stumbled through the same issues. He doesn't send directions with them but has info & pictures on posts here on the forum over the years. Let me know some specifics, I'm sure that I can help.

Thanks
Nathan
Old 02-18-2013, 12:33 PM
JC8

I cut the two supports from the stock suspension arms in the belly and can slide the new one in to place but there's no way to mark the holes???? Also how do you mount the top mount for the shock???? I've been going on those pics but have not seen any for the front???

Almost forgot....how do you mount the angle piece for the servo mount???

Pics would be great if anyone wants to share????!!!!!!

JC
Old 02-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Brushlessed

Check the beginning of this thread and go to Hurricanes photo bucket and dig around in there. There is a ton of pics in there.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Mtn-Valley-Homes

ORIGINAL: JC8

I cut the two supports from the stock suspension arms in the belly and can slide the new one in to place but there's no way to mark the holes???? Also how do you mount the top mount for the shock???? I've been going on those pics but have not seen any for the front???

These items were tough for me as well.On thecentersuspension bracket, Ithink that I pushed it up in to where it was snug. I had to remove material a couple times to get it all of the way up there. Then I measured how far below thethreaded holes were belowthewtop flat edgeof the aluminum block. If I remember correctly there is a seam in the plastic that is centered so side to side is easy. The angled servo mounts on top of this with the servo facing backward. The servo pivot is centered in the sled. The servo mounts are not. The angled bracket is bolted down to the plasticridge that the suspension block slides up into.

On the top shock mount,one of Hurricane's pictures showed it a little forward of the indentation from the stock shock. This is howI did mine but then sawanother picture of it straight outside of the indentation.Right along side the indentation is definitelybetter.It lines the shocks up better. I will probably just drill 2 new holes & move mine.

I am at work now & my sled is at home. Iwill try to take some pics tonight to help out.

One more thatwill probably come up is how big to make the holes for thesteering arms (tie rods). I didn't want tohog too big of a hole but it is hard to know how much is needed. They moveup & down a lot depending on where the steering & suspension are. I kept going back to cut out more material. Maybe Hurricane can make a template for thatin future kits.

Almost forgot....how do you mount the angle piece for the servo mount???

Pics would be great if anyone wants to share????!!!!!!

JC
Old 02-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Mtn-Valley-Homes

The upper shock mount should be moved back 1/2 in to just outside of stock shock mount place. The mount gets flipped over & the shock is in front of the mount.

The tie rods need a lot of room.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69696.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1853804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95806.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1853805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io29155.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1853806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp38864.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1853807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny26213.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1853808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev23681.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1853809  
Old 02-19-2013, 03:09 AM
JC8

Thanks for the pics!!!!!

Like most people I have no patience and jumped right in about 2 minutes after my post for help....I got it all done ( it is easy if you notice that plastic is pretty thin and you can see the holes from the aluminum....might try to put some white paint pen on surface next one, should really show the difference!!!!)

I'm close but my front shocks are "grabbing" the arms so my upper mounts might be a little off, probably a spacer and I'm all set!!!

Any tricks for the drive spockets in the track???? ( I see that there's three nubs of plastic and you just drill out the centre hole/stem to match the shaft)

HF......REALLY, REALLY makes a nice kit!!!!! That front block for the suspension fits like a glove!!!!!

JC
Old 02-19-2013, 04:12 PM
hurricane-fibers

Hello guys

Sorry been MIA wife had the baby this week we named him ryder.
So i havent had much time for anything this last 2weeks.

Hey JC thanks for the complement glad you like the kit.
If you have any other problems let me know.

Well one of my drivers went boom on my mill so waiting for new driver before i can get back to work
on the mill.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Brushlessed

When do you expect it will be back in action?
Old 02-22-2013, 05:14 PM
Brushlessed

If anyone has a spare kit they don't need at the moment I would REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY LIKE ONE!!!! 
Hurricane when are you expecting a new batch to be done? 
Thanks!
Alex
Old 02-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Jopey21

Hurricane,

Congrats on the little one.  I just ran across this. Very nice stuff. Are you selling these as a complete kit? I wouldn't need the motor,esc, or servo. I would like to purchase this from you if you are still selling the kits. Could you please Pm when you get a chance with pricing and what the kit does and doesn't come with. I did send you a pm but it looks like it didn't go thru. 

Thanks
Joe
Old 02-28-2013, 02:33 PM
hurricane-fibers

Hello Joe
Well i have been without my mill for almost 3weeks now.
My new driver board came in and my motor should be here tomorrow
If it all comes in then i should be back up and running this weekend.
I will let you know when its all done.
But ithink it might be getting to late in the season for the sled unless i get the wheel pieces made for the ski's

Joe
Have you seeen my vids on youtube of the sled it under the same user name.

Thanks
Hurricane
Old 02-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Brushlessed

Sweet! Cant wait to order!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Brushlessed

Hurricane, did you get any parts made this weekend?

Supposed to get 10 inches dumped on us tonight, probably the last storm of the season
Alex
Old 03-04-2013, 02:27 PM
JC8

Does anyone know if the bearings from the kits (the ones that support the main shaft) are from another application?

I broke one when I was "pressing" it on!!!!

I did get one kit on and running.....too much powder here ....would need a paddle track AND that would be TOO FRIGGIN' awesome if there was something like that out there!

I wonder where the guy from snowmobilerc.com gets his tracks??????
JC
Old 03-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Mtn-Valley-Homes

JC,
The bearings are 1/4 x 3/8 x 1/8standard & flanged (rubber sealed). They are easy to find on the RC bearing web sites or LHS. I had the same problem on one but fixed it very quickly by sanding the shaft. I put on end of the shaft in my cordless dewalt drill to spin it while wrapping sand paper around it for about 20 seconds. Just be careful not to take much off.
Nathan
Old 03-05-2013, 02:09 PM
JC8

Thanks Nathan...great info for taking a little material off!!!

I will do a quick search for the bearings, thought they might be spacialty item.

jamie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.