Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ziroli F9F panther

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ziroli F9F panther

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:20 AM
smperry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ziroli F9F panther

RCFlyerDan twisted my arm and here are a couple of shots of the Panther in the air. Don't think Willie has seen it in the air since the first flight or two. This is an excellent model and well worth the build. You'll enjoy yours.

sp
Old 02-19-2013, 08:24 AM
smperry

Rats, tries twice to post the pics, but i'm doing something wrong
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34092.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1853951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39613.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1853952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77914.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1853953  
Old 02-19-2013, 08:46 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gezzz now i have to watch the movie " Bridges At Toko-RI " lol
Old 02-19-2013, 08:53 AM
john491
My Feedback: (13)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is covered with Flight Metal.

I'm using a 30# Cheetah for power, and it is a ROCKETSHIP. I can fly around on half throttle quite easily. The Airpower struts wheels and brakes are great too. Takes off in less than 90 feet with no flaps, and properly handled will land and come to a full stop on our 300 foot runway.

Joe Saito ( b17gjoe) made the short kit I used. He has since improved the short kit quite a bit with the splitters molded in and panel lines.

I have a one piece wing tube that extends completely through the airframe and about eleven inches into each wing for support. The plane will sustain unbelievable turns without any wing flex at all.

John

Name:	Qn38367.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	1853955  
Old 02-19-2013, 09:04 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

John! I haven't been out to SPARKS for so long that I didn't know you build one!! Good Deal!! I take it yours is the larger version Joe kits? The 80 inch w/s? Dan
Old 02-19-2013, 09:06 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: warbird_1

ORIGINAL: Ron Stahl

The Ziroli's are not going to have a booth at Toledo this year from what I have heard. The costs have gotten way to expensive for a lot of companies. They are going to be at WOD though.
whoa ron .. i didn't catch that at first. i can't believe nick won't be there . that has to be the first time ever. you know things are getting bad when he doesn't show up . he's always been there and at the W.R.A.M.S.
Nick is planning on going to Toledo just that they are not having a booth this year from what he has told me as of yesterday. I'll confirm when we have dinner tomorrow evening.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 AM
Instructor
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just like Bob said, the incidence needs to be changed to Oº or it will climb out at a high AOA. Now I know some of you might be flying the Z Panther with a P-60 or P-70 and will not have any problems, but if you fly it with a P-80 built like the plans show, it will climb out with a high AOA. If you already have one built and you are planing on installing a P-80, you'll need to make sure the nose is at least 20º nose down using the CG on the plans ready to fly with a full UAT. If you want to see my Panther being rebuilt, then do a search here for "Ziroli Panther Rebuild". You will see me checking the CG and I haven't changed it since I flew it after the rebuild. I now have 35 flights on it with no problems. It just takes a little practice to get it to slow down on landings. It weights 23# dry. With that much nose weight in it, you have to fly it level right down to the ground. I understand that Bob has changse the incidence in his to Oº and removed most of his nose weight. He told me it flys much better now without all that weight. He said he noticed that it wanted to tuck under during a turn with the extra nose weight......

Larry
Old 02-19-2013, 10:46 AM
smperry

As I recall Willie built mine as per plans. It has separate wing tubes for each panel and they do not pass all the way through like Johns's. I take it easy on the turns, but have had no issues with the P-70 for power, though I can see where it would nose up with more power.
sp
Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 AM
john491
My Feedback: (13)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Dan,

Mine is the 72" or smaller one. It's still pretty stout at 20# dry, but since it's the same weight with the Cheetah as with that P-60 it's nice to have the extra power. I really beefed up the interior to carry the extra power. Takeoff roll is from the end of the runway at the berm and it's airborne before the first taxiway. Full power to over the lake on climbout and then back off to 1/2.
Really pumps the adrenelin.

John
Old 02-19-2013, 10:57 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Cool Beans John!!!! I need to start coming back there again. Been flying out of town mostly, due to the F-18 won't fly at SPARKS.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:25 PM
flyme2moon
My Feedback: (1)

Hi guys, It appears that I finally found your site, I recently picked up the Ziroli Panther this past fall, I got it on Ebay,... It was partially built, the wings  are only framed up at this time and I am working on the fuselage ,,,it  is about 90% covered with 1/8 balsa planking and waiting for a first sanding .... I  found that the drawings do not show any L/G doors, so I am making some up, using the " that looks about right method"   I definatlly would like to see what you guys came up with, as I do not like to reinvent the wheel every time

From the pics  that are posted  I am very impressed,  you guys do some very good work..... I just now subscribed to both threads,  thanks  Ray
Old 02-19-2013, 05:28 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Did someone say Bridges At Toko-Ri?

Name:	Wu59523.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1854115  
Old 02-20-2013, 02:53 PM
flyme2moon

K sonn in looking at your build of the fibre glass Panther I was very impressed, and I have question the air cylinders on the main L/G doors where did you get hold of them, I like the way you set them up... supplier and model number please.... thanks.... Ray
Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 AM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

ORIGINAL: flyme2moon

K sonn in looking at your build of the fibre glass Panther I was very impressed, and I have question the air cylinders on the main L/G doors where did you get hold of them, I like the way you set them up... supplier and model number please.... thanks.... Ray
Thanks Ray. I used BVM 5/16 diameter, 1 inch stroke air cylinders for the gear doors.

http://shopbvmjets.com/zencart/index...products_id=92

Kirk
Old 02-21-2013, 04:25 PM
flyme2moon

K sonn, thanks for the info.... it sure beats push rods and bell cranks which is now my plan "C".... thanks... Ray