Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

How to convert an ATX power supply to rc use

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

How to convert an ATX power supply to rc use

Old 08-01-2012, 09:14 AM
bgosselin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to convert an ATX power supply to rc use

Not sure about your specific charger, but many have a built-in voltmeter that will show you the voltage of the power supply feeding it. If so, you don't really need one on the supply itself unless you want it for other hookups.

But to answer your question:

A voltmeter is wired in parallel with the 12v output wires. So take the positive lead of the meter and hook it to the +12v output line. Then, take the negative lead of the meter and hook it to the ground output. It looks sort of like this:

Code:
 POWERSUPPLY(+) ======== OUTPUT_CONNECTOR(+) ===== (+)
                                                VOLT_METER
 POWERSUPPLY(-) ======== OUTPUT_CONNECTOR(-) ===== (-)
An amp meter needs to be wired in series with the output. This is very important! This means you have to "break" the positive connection from the power supply wire to the output connector and insert the meter in series. Hard to explain, but it looks like this:

Code:
 POWERSUPPLY(+) ===== (+)AMP_METER(-) ===== OUTPUT_CONNECTOR(+)

POWERSUPPLY(-) =========================== OUTPUT_CONNECTOR(-)
To wire both up at the same time, do this:

Code:
 POWERSUPPLY(+) ===== (+)AMP_METER(-) ===== OUTPUT_CONNECTOR(+) ===== (+)
                                                                   VOLT_METER
 POWERSUPPLY(-) =========================== OUTPUT_CONNECTOR(-) ===== (-)
Old 08-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing to add on wiring in your meters - bgosselin's diagrams are spot on.

Make sure your voltmeter is classified as DC. Some ampmeters are listed as AC or DC; some as DC only. Also ensure your ampmeter has a capacity greater than the amperage you anticipate drawing while charging. Since your 12v rail is rated at 26A, the minimum size I would suggest would be a 30A meter. If you select one with too high a capacity, the scale will be very broad and you will not be able to get a real accurate reading.

If the amp meter requires a shunt, be sure that it's included with the meter or order one when you get the meter itself. Some may indicate that a shunt is included or built in.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:44 PM
jam398

Hi Guy's ! Thanks for the info , will try it soon when get the volt and amp meter , thank you x 2

jim
Old 10-08-2012, 05:28 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Looking for discription and wiring diagram for wiring two in series for 24 volt 40 amp for 6S and up. I have two server power supplies at 12.5 volts and 47 amp and would like to wire these in series for the higher voltage.

Dennis
Old 02-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Droiddr

Hi all,

This is one heck of a thread!
I got a 375w psu made by dell.
I converted it as per this thread and it worked beautifully
The only issues were finding spots for the 6 banana jacks ( 2 12v and 1 5v)
also it was cramped in there so a little of a challenge!

I am gonna get a hitec x2 ultima. The psu is a bit underpowered and will not provide the full 400w, but I don't think I will be using so much power anytime soon!

Thanks again for the great thread!
Pics attached

(Darn, sorry they are upside down!!)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56861.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1847763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37328.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1847764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vx46724.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1847765  
Old 02-06-2013, 01:19 AM
Goldenduff

Hi Folks,

Would this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-QUIET-...item415e45283e

and or this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-850W-A...item4169409931

Be a good purchase? Looks like its plug and play/charge!

Thanks for any input.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Zrock

These look like a good resistor to use easy to mount
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/370568405357?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1438.l2649#ht_3386wt_1163
Old 02-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Goldenduff

Hello power people- I do not trust myself converting a computer power supply. Considering I may burn the garage down it could well be cheaper buying a dedicated one!
Are the ones I suggested reasonable?
Cheers
Old 02-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Zrock

umm those links are for computer power supplies?  Not dedicated rc power supplies
Old 02-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I have two server power supplies 12V at 47amp. I would like to connect them in series for 24V 47amp for my power lab 8 with parallel charging board. I have not looked into it much but I was wondering if anyone has information how this can be accomplished.

Dennis
Old 02-10-2013, 11:08 PM
Goldenduff

Hi stock thAnks for the reply- but would they work?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:13 AM
VTEC_Inside

I love this thread.

I'm picking up resistors on the way home to complete my first PSU build.

FWIW, I just de-pinned all the connectors and bundled like colors for the shakedown phase, that way all the sense wires are still attached.

I'm using a 430w PSU that had me all stumped to hell at first. This thing will not consistently turn on with no load anywhere. I hooked a headlight bulb to the 5v and it turns on consistently but dies the second I hook another bulb to the 12v. BUT, if I hook both bulbs in series up on the 5v it turns on fine, I can disconnect them from the 5v and move them to the 12v and it stays on and powers both bulbs...

Bottom line is that this thing def wants more resistance on the 5v than a single headlight bulb to be useful.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Droiddr

On my converted ATX powersupply, I have 2 20ohm power resistors in parallel as load on the 5v, it draws about .25 amps each, for a total of .5A total, 2.5 watts or so total.

As soon as I hooked up a 12v starter or even my charger AFTER the PSU is turned on it did the same to me, it shut down. (similar to VTEC_inside)
If I connect the charger before turning on the PSU, the pSU is fine and the charger can draw current fine.
I did not try high loads yet though, only about 4-5 amp draw on the 12v using a bunch of power resistors in parallel.

Perhaps the PSU is detecting too much of a sudden rise in current and thinks it is a short? That would make sense for the 12v starter as the draw must be initially high as the motor starts to turn and then must stabilize as it turns. The rotor barely moves before the PSU shuts down.

Does that make sense? Did I do something wrong? Do I need to change the load on the 5V?

The PSU is a Dell 375W ATX power supply

Old 02-19-2013, 02:33 PM
VTEC_Inside

My local electronics haven let me down. Only 1 10w 10ohm resistor on the shelf... I picked up a 10w 1ohm as well, but I don't even know why... I've been too lazy to figure out the math for the resistors...

Anyway, my token 430w supply is still a bit unpredictable even with the 10/10 resistor on the 5v rail. The other 350w psu isn't particularly happy with it either. Neither will stay on if the headlight bulb it attached AFTER they are on, but the smaller psu wont even turn on in the first place if its there.

Based on my experiments with both bulbs last night, I definitely need more resistance on the 5v to have either one of these working properly.

Now to do the math and see if I can do anything with this 1ohm one.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:56 PM
VTEC_Inside

Ok, so if I got this right, the 1ohm/10w one I bought is useless, resulting in a draw of 5amps, or 25w turning it into a fireball.

sigh..

Edit: Found this nifty little program to help me with the math: Electronics Assistant, [link=http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/]http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/[/link]
Old 02-20-2013, 06:52 AM
VTEC_Inside

ORIGINAL: Droiddr

On my converted ATX powersupply, I have 2 20ohm power resistors in parallel as load on the 5v, it draws about .25 amps each, for a total of .5A total, 2.5 watts or so total.

As soon as I hooked up a 12v starter or even my charger AFTER the PSU is turned on it did the same to me, it shut down. (similar to VTEC_inside)
If I connect the charger before turning on the PSU, the pSU is fine and the charger can draw current fine.
I did not try high loads yet though, only about 4-5 amp draw on the 12v using a bunch of power resistors in parallel.

Perhaps the PSU is detecting too much of a sudden rise in current and thinks it is a short? That would make sense for the 12v starter as the draw must be initially high as the motor starts to turn and then must stabilize as it turns. The rotor barely moves before the PSU shuts down.

Does that make sense? Did I do something wrong? Do I need to change the load on the 5V?

The PSU is a Dell 375W ATX power supply
What you are describing sounds normal after reading the whole thread. Most of these don't like having a load placed on the 12v AFTER being turned on. I'm cool with that, but in my case, it wouldn't turn on if I had a single bulb on the 5v and the 12v.

It works now with the single 10w10ohm resistor on the 5v, but its still VERY sensitive on the 12v. It will turn on with a single bulb on the 12v, but will die if I simply attach my volt meter to it, and IIRC, it wont power up with my multimeter and the bulb on the 12v. I've ordered a bunch of 10w10ohm resistors along with some binding posts now. I think it will be fine with a 2s2p config of the 10w1ohm resistors on the 5v like I originally intended.

For the time being I've trimmed off everything I'm not using, looped and heatshrunk the ends, along with soldering and heatshrinking the power on to ground inside the case. So even though it doesn't work as intended just yet, its starting to look pretty.

NOTE: This 430w supply has a brown wire paired to a ground which I believe may be a ground sense(?). I trimmed and soldered that into the pair of power on and ground I already had.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:04 PM
rubberman

how many wires of yellow should you have together? i think i have a total of 6 yellow(+12v) wires in my power supply. Same with red(+5v). I used 1 red wire to add another cooling fan so will that work instead of using the 10ohm sandbar?
Old 03-25-2013, 09:19 PM
chuck201111
My Feedback: (6)

Anyone know how to convert an antec ae 650 powersupply ? l have a vertually new one. Thanks, Chuck
Old 03-25-2013, 11:05 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Usually you cannot safely connect two ATX power supply outputs in series. The problem has to do with the negative leads and grounding, plus how the primary voltage side of the supply is designed.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:47 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: chuckk2

Usually you cannot safely connect two ATX power supply outputs in series. The problem has to do with the negative leads and grounding................
I have done this and successfully run the combination at 24v. I DO NOT recommend it - having two supplies from close production dates and of the same model and make improve your chances, but unless you have a good handle on the design of those particular supplies, you likely will be treated to an electronic version of "POP goes the Weasel"!!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:52 AM
VTEC_Inside

Got my 430w PSU completed and working reliably.

The 350w is a bit of a strange one. A pair of 10w10ohm resistors in series and it turns on all the time, BUT it will not power on with a single headlight bulb on the 12v rail.

If I put two bulbs in series it powers up fine. Thats a lot of load just to turn on no?

Ideas?
Old 07-14-2013, 11:18 PM
lisacs

Dear sir or madam,

Dong Guan T.S.Fung Electronics Co.LTD. is located in Dong guan city, Guang Dong province <place><country-region>China</country-region></place>. We are specialized in manufacture of various RC connectors and wires. Our products are designed to meet the demands of electrical and electronic connectors industrials. All our products are UL approved and Rohs compliant.

Quality, custom engineered products and superior customer service are the goals of the T.S.Fung team.  We know our fine reputation is continually being earned.

Our success is measured in the reduction of our customer's downtime and their lower overall maintenance costs by using T.S.Fung 's products and services.

Be assure that our products are excellent in quality and reasonable in price.

Please contact me if you have interest.

Looking forward to your early reply.

Best regards!

Lisa Zhang

Dong Guan T.S.Fung Electronics Co.LTD

http://www.kincsa.com/

TEL: 86- 15999733378 FAX: 86-769-82280060 Skype:lisacs2

Old 01-13-2014, 01:07 AM
Tommygunn792

I've just coverted another PSU for battery charger use, in this case an Enermax Liberty 500W, and it seems to be working fine.
However, just for the hell of it, I thought that I'd see if the heatsinks were giving off any heat during charging. I touched the left hand sink and it was cold, I touched the right hand sink and it gave the tip of my little finger a jolly good buzz, no doubt the full 240V.
Is this normal? Should any of the heatsinks be live or is something going wrong here?

As far as connections made goes, I simply connected the PS-ON to one of the black ground wires and desoldered all the bunched, smaller gauge wiring and kept the heavy, 12 gauge wires for my outputs.

One other thing, when I switch the PSU on it makes a tick or click sound to the back left of the unit, as you look at the photo. I've eliminated the power switch arcing as the cause as I've plugged the unit in while the switch was on.
Also, it will only make the noise when left unpowered for some time. If I power the PSU up again immediately or within 30secs etc you don't get the noise.
Is this just some characteristic of the large capacitors/toroids on that side/corner? Should I be concerned?

Tom.

Last edited by Tommygunn792; 01-13-2014 at 04:08 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:58 AM
Tommygunn792

No ideas, anyone?

Tom.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:32 AM
Zrock

Its normal. Mine did the same thing to me. Been running for a year with no issues. One heat sink is probably the 5v side and teh other 12v so that's why you got a jolt off the high side. As far as the clicking goes no idea. One thing i did on mine was connect teh fan to one of the 12 or 5v leads cant remember. this was so the ps would see a load at all times instead of putting in the resistor. rock solid never drops below 12v charging 2 lippos

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.