Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

COX TD .020 PARTS FOR SMALL PYLON RACING

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

COX TD .020 PARTS FOR SMALL PYLON RACING

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Steve Westphal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default COX TD .020 PARTS FOR SMALL PYLON RACING

We're getting together a 1/2A pylon racing event and the largest engine will be the.020. So. I guess the Cox TD .020 will be the engine of choice..(are there any other besides the Pee Wee?) I am in need of some engine parts. I have a complete Cox .020 and a couple of assorted parts. I could use a crank case with crank and a couple of back plates. Also need a front end for the case. If anyone has any TD .020 parts I would like to buy them. Also I could use a NV asembly. A prop backplate would be nice also. My brother and I are doing up a "Rivets" and a "Shoestring". Please let me know if anyone has any of these components. I would appreciate any replies.. I am estimating that a 22 or 23 inch W.S. would work. Anybody with any suggestions would be welcomed.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:35 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: COX TD .020 PARTS FOR SMALL PYLON RACING

as i posted in your other thread check out COX international. they have many new parts for this engine!!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Steve Westphal

AR.....they just don't have any crankcases or crankshafts, darn it!!!!!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:51 PM
DeviousDave

Sounds like a perfect event for JMGlaskraft's little racers...
Old 02-16-2013, 09:27 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh they dont huh. I thought for sure they had some last year. Sorry about that.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:06 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd show up with a 100 sq inch wing, made from solid 1/4" thick balsa.
arrowshaft fuselage, exposed radio gear mounted on velcro.
I'd just want to throw something together to "feel out" the new event and to have a plane that is easily repairable between heats.
I think you would need spare engines on hand to help encourage club members to get involved.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Schu
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,
I will look around and see what I have - I have a box of TD .20 parts someplace - it has been a while since I looked.
As for a plane - I scaled down a 1/2 a shrike down to 18" wing span and it flys great and fast - we had races here w/ the 1/2 A and I enjoyed that a lot. The .20 size was just for fun.
I also scaled a diamond dust to about 16 " wing span for my TD .10 - both planes were throttle controlled but not really needed for racing.
I do recommend the Shrike for racing - great fun and they fly great.
Dale
Old 02-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Steve Westphal

Schu......I'll be waiting to hear from you. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Jaspur_x
My Feedback: (1)

Here`s a Q? is there a rule about modified engines? Bob @flyfreeflight.com does a nice head job mod on TeeDee020`s that gets them up to 29k rpm  if thats legal for you guys thats the hot ticket to a head start on winning
Old 02-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Steve Westphal

J X......thanks a bunch,only, don't tell the other guys!!!! Any spare .020 parts, etc? I need a cranfcase and a crankshaft. We have a TD that spins 27 or 28 K stock so this head should get me to 30K +
Old 02-17-2013, 06:52 PM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something to think about. There is a world shortage of TD 020 cranks... Massive amounts of RPM could shorten the life of the one you are using.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:58 PM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious what props they are using to get these high #'s
Old 02-17-2013, 07:05 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jaspur_x

Here`s a Q? is there a rule about modified engines? Bob @flyfreeflight.com does a nice head job mod on TeeDee020`s that gets them up to 29k rpm if thats legal for you guys thats the hot ticket to a head start on winning
Allowing guys to do whatever it takes in terms of time and money to win is what kills participation. Not everyone owns a machine shop or is willing to pay a machinist to stay competitive. The biggest uphill battle is to keep the playing field as level [and simple] as possible to encourage as many guys as you can to take part.
Once you establish a "hard core" group of competitors, then that is the time to talk about an unlimited event that could be run after the "entry level" event has been flown.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Steve Westphal

CBP........I guess it isn't really unlimited,and, the few guys that are in the group are long time R/C junkies. Most haven't flown stock stuff for years. The entry level idea will come along if there is enough interest.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:18 AM
Schu
My Feedback: (5)

Steve,
I just went through my stuff - It seems at some point I put together whole engines w/ my parts - I did find one crank and crankcase, but both used and not sure of condition.
I liked to run and use my engines ( not much of a collecter although I do have a pile of stuff ) so I can't help much unless you want a used back up engine for use or parts.
PM me if you want one of those. Thanks, Dale
Old 02-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Jaspur_x

ORIGINAL: Steve Westphal

J X......thanks a bunch,only, don't tell the other guys!!!! Any spare .020 parts, etc? I need a cranfcase and a crankshaft. We have a TD that spins 27 or 28 K stock so this head should get me to 30K +
Bob warns in his literature that 29k is about redline and they start getting volatile around the 30k line. They can do it but its not something you want to do to an engine you expect to keep around long term without expenses or sudden termination syndrome. pm sent btw.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:29 PM
Jaspur_x

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

ORIGINAL: Jaspur_x

Here`s a Q? is there a rule about modified engines? Bob @flyfreeflight.com does a nice head job mod on TeeDee020`s that gets them up to 29k rpm if thats legal for you guys thats the hot ticket to a head start on winning
Allowing guys to do whatever it takes in terms of time and money to win is what kills participation. Not everyone owns a machine shop or is willing to pay a machinist to stay competitive. The biggest uphill battle is to keep the playing field as level [and simple] as possible to encourage as many guys as you can to take part.
Once you establish a "hard core" group of competitors, then that is the time to talk about an unlimited event that could be run after the "entry level" event has been flown.
But CPdoes make a good point,I hadn`t thought of it from that viewpoint,I guess I have spent so many years racing I forgot about the truly stock level classes lol