Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

tried tinting canopy, didn't work

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

tried tinting canopy, didn't work

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:46 AM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tried tinting canopy, didn't work

My canopy would not take the ritz dye. I read somewhere that some kind of transparent paint was being sprayed on the inside of the canopy. Anyone know what that product is?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:54 AM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: tried tinting canopy, didn't work

You can get a taillight tinting kit from AutoZone, Oreilly's, and Pep Boys.

Rit dye doesn't work with just one dip. The water and dye must be hot but not boiling, and you emerse the canopy totally for 10 to 15 seconds and remove it from the hot dye. You keep dipping until you reach the tint that you are looking for. It works, because I've been doing it for 40 + years.

Frank
Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: countilaw

You can get a taillight tinting kit from AutoZone, Oreilly's, and Pep Boys.

Rit dye doesn't work with just one dip. The water and dye must be hot but not boiling, and you emerse the canopy totally for 10 to 15 seconds and remove it from the hot dye. You keep dipping until you reach the tint that you are looking for. It works, because I've been doing it for 40 + years.

Frank
Thanks Frank
I did tint another canopy and it came out great. I had the water at 135 to 140* Tried it twice and left it in the pot for 30+ minutes. Just would not tint.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:23 AM
FallDownGoBoom
My Feedback: (1)

I sprayed the inside of my Kaos canopy with some of the tranparent green (there's blue, red, and gray as well) Testor's or Pactra enamel. It came out OK, but you've got to use very light coats as it tends to run. The good news is that if you don't like the result, you can use a rag soaked in paint thinner and it'll wipe clean so you can try again.

I've seen examples of really elaborate paint schemes for canopies over in the Pattern forums; one of your contacts there might be able to get you more info about how they do that. But I think it involves paint masks, airbrushes, and lots of planning.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use the Pectra and an air brush. Not all the new plastic canopies will take a Ritt tint. It's nice to get an old kit and dye the canopy, it happens so fast you have to keep pulling it in and out of the dye until it is the shade you are looking for then rinse it or it will get too dark.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:51 PM
goirish

This is not a new canopy, probably 30 years old. Going on a G-Shark By Aeromodel Tampico out of Mexico
Old 02-21-2013, 04:26 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It should take a tint, may just have o do it a few times and keep the water hot.

If you decide to spray the inside : we used to use R/C car paint. They make a transparent paint to spray the under side of a car body. Any hobbie shop that carries cars should either have it or be able to get it for you . If " Riders " is still open in Jackson they should have some . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 02-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: red head

It should take a tint, may just have o do it a few times and keep the water hot.
Not all clear canopies take a tint - they are not all made of the same material. Once you stumble on the kind that does not take a tint, you will understand.

Kurt
Old 02-21-2013, 06:01 PM
goirish

ORIGINAL: red head

If you decide to spray the inside : we used to use R/C car paint. They make a transparent paint to spray the under side of a car body. Any hobbie shop that carries cars should either have it or be able to get it for you . If '' Riders '' is still open in Jackson they should have some . ENJOY !!! RED
AHHHHH!!! Riders is long gone. They have closed that one, the one in Toledo and one near Ann Arbor.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:07 PM
grosbeak

I've used Tamiya PS-31 Smoke in a rattlecan with success.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:55 AM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

I use Tamiya TS-71 Smoke. Works great.

Important tip...Thoroughly wash the surface you are going to tint. You can't see it but there is a release agent film on the canopies from manufacturing. I use alcohol and then wash the canopy in soap and water then rinse well. This make a huge difference. If you do not clean the film off the spray just puddles up.

Also, Don't try to get the darkness you want all at one time. Apply very, very, very, light mist applications at a time.

http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/prod...a-ts-71-smoke/
Old 02-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The paints mentioned are RC car paints. The Petra smoke gray tint is a pretty good one for tinting. I just haven't tried the Tamiya but it sounds like about the same thing in a spray can. Any of the paints called tint should be OK.