Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Midwest Extra 300xs Build

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Midwest Extra 300xs Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 07:58 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default RE: Midwest Extra 300xs Build

hello eclipso... Nice looking Extra there. It looks familiar. If memory serves I might have seen it in the classifieds around December or before...very cool though... and I'm sure its a worthy flyer.

My restoration hasn't quite started, as I ran into several more issues with it then I really have time to deal with at the moment. So I'm just going to wrap it up in plastic and sit on it for a bit... Part of that reason is I have a G-38 for power for it, and after evaluating the condition it sits in, and what it will take to get it airworthy, I'm inclined to think it would be more suited to something like a G-62. This is just based on the weight of the components, compared to the weight of my already finished components.

For instance on that... the unfinished wing without covering or servos is considerably heavier(just by picking them up side by side)then the finished wing... It feels like its a pound heavier, and theres not even servos in it. I did take measures on the first one (IE..balsa/CF spars), as well as some careful building, but its a drastic difference.. I'm just not sure if the craftsmanship is up to snuff, and not quite sure how to get it there on a frame that's 99% done...thats what I get for buying something marginally built.. I kind of think I should have searched out a brand new kit, and started from the beginning. But.. live and learn.

Its also got issues with the center wing joint, that has gaps all over the place. The center spar area looks OK, but the rest of it raises flags as to "is it really OK?". The wing to fuse fit is marginal at best,... stuff like that.

Its a very strange piece of work in some ways, as some of it is very decent. The fuselage box itself is built very well, and tight. No gaps, everything lines up as it should, nose to tail..etc. There's a few components(pieces of the frame/engine mount area) that are missing, and some triangle stock was never installed in the frontal areas either... alot of little stuff like that.. which I really knew about, as that was seen before/as I bought it, and that framework was decent enough, I figured it would be a reasonable amount of work to restore... What I didn't see though..............

The plane was covered in a half-hearted attempt by somebody that didn't have any experience with Monokote, and the guy even complained that he'd spent over $100 in covering and it looked terrible. I knew that I was going to take it off, so I didn't really care.. and I could tell that was simply a lack of experience with Monokote.. The rest of the frame that I could see was decently built, so I bought it.

I just recently(about last weekend) was starting the restoration, and pullling that ugly covering off... which came off very easily, as it wasn't layed down correctly. Upon removing the covering on the wing center section is where I ran across the first issue with the wing joint, when the fiberglass simply peeled off..just like that..I mean.. fiberglass doesnt just peel.. this did though. The only way I would have known about this would have been to remove the covering before I bought it.. so I pretty much got took there.. the fiberglass lifting only opened up part of the rest of the problems in that center-section, the gaps, and alignments are all off, and the sheeting is very much scabbed in. The wingbolt mounting blocks are installed differently then the plans call for too...

I mean the whole thing just looks like #1 more then one person worked on it, as the fuselage is decent, and the wing is trash, and #2 it looks like someone completed it without the plans... or any combonation of the above... its just kind of wierd at this point, and I've written to the person I bought it from.. as he said he was the one that built it, and that it was all decent... not so is the case here though. I was in for a restoration, not a complete "lets rebuild the wing"... had I looked into it a bit further, and had he been honest, I don't think I would have bought it.. I would have either bought another Midwest, or just built a whole different kit I have on hand.

But.. yeah.. I'm thinking bigger engine, as it will need it to carry the weight after its rebuilt.. so I'm rethinking it.. I've still got my other one, and fortunately I saved EVERYTHING from that kit, including the plans, all the extra wood, I have all the die-cut sheets it came with, so I have stencils for all the pieces to do the work.. It'll just take me a bit. I'm building a little Dazzler for therapy to recover from this.. and its working.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:17 PM
eclipso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I don't know what the deal is with rcu but I have tried twice already to post with a couple of pics and then then server just hoses up. Anyway here goes again, I decided to rip all the covering off my Midwest Extra 300s because at twenty pounds it just flys way too heavy. I figured there was some damage in the wing and judging by the pics I was right so restoring this thing is going to be good overall. I am going to remove as much of the plywood as I possibly can and I am thinking of converting it to a plug-in style wing tube. Please add your suggestions along the way and I will try to post as many pics as possible.

Well here are some of the before pics with and without covering. This fabric, dope and paint weighed in at 2 lbs. and some change. Wow ! thats gonna save alot weight, Monokote should weigh much less.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17035.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1579320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32964.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1579321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82684.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1579322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48225.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1579323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63117.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1579324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62194.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1579325   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43171.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1579326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65233.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	1579327  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79070.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	1579328  
Old 03-16-2011, 02:35 AM
eclipso

[font="Courier New"][size=3]Well I got some more work done today. Looks like I may have to think about starting a new thread so I'm not adding more pages to a very old thread. This thing is going to need alot of work. I found that the original wing build has alot of weight in the center section so it is going to be removed and converted to plug-in wing. Notice the pice of the solid hardwood blocks and fiber glass. Also I attached a pic of a problem a freind of mine spotted. It seems as though the original build was done with the wing lying on its top straight down on the table, so because the wing width tapers from root to tip it made it so the top is flat and the bottom is angled kinda like diehedral
Old 03-16-2011, 05:07 AM
lway45

ORIGINAL: eclipso

Hi DGrant,

I just went through this whole thread for a change and got to the end and there was not a happy ending haha. I too wonder what happened to digger. Anyway I saw that you only posted a month or so ago, how is the restoration going ? I just received my first Midwest Extra 300s in December. It is running a G62. I have flown it about 20 times already. I also flew it in my first ever Imac competition last most at the Tucson Imac. I love how well this plane flys but at 20 lbs. I plan to do a restoration my self. I am going to take the fabric covering off and do some mods and re do the covering in ultracote.

I think we should resurrect this thread or start a new one with restoration and mods. Let me know I will ad to it with ya.

Here is a pic from my first Imac and how the plane currently looks.
Good idea rather than hijack this one.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:09 AM
eclipso

ORIGINAL: lway45

Good idea rather than hijack this one.

Not really hijacking I'm not changing content just adding to a really old thread. Whats wrong with bringing new life to an old thread kind like you did when you posted pics of your plane which had nothing to do with diggers thread.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:40 PM
DGrant

[quote]ORIGINAL: eclipso

[font=''Courier New''][size=3]Well I got some more work done today. Looks like I may have to think about starting a new thread so I'm not adding more pages to a very old thread. This thing is going to need alot of work. I found that the original wing build has alot of weight in the center section so it is going to be removed and converted to plug-in wing. Notice the pice of the solid hardwood blocks and fiber glass. Also I attached a pic of a problem a freind of mine spotted. It seems as though the original build was done with the wing lying on its top straight down on the table, so because the wing width tapers from root to tip it made it so the top is flat and the bottom is angled kinda like diehedral
Old 03-17-2011, 06:42 PM
eclipso

DGrant,

Well I'm pleased that I am inspiring you to do your restoration as well. I do not have the book but boy if there was a way you could get a copy electronic or paper I would surely be grateful. I have the flat tail version so that book would be wonderful. I am glad you mentioned the flat top surface I will be sure to leave it as is but I have already cut the wing center section out as I am going to convert it to a plug-in wing with cf wing tube. It is going to be tricky but the rewards will be well worth the effort. I am shooting for 12 lbs with ei converted G62. This thing had loads of pull running vess 22b even when it was at 20 lbs.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:45 AM
Crismedicatrix

You can also do some lightning holes in the rear, it can give more flexibility with batt position afterwards
Old 03-19-2011, 08:02 PM
DGrant

ORIGINAL: eclipso

DGrant,

Well I'm pleased that I am inspiring you to do your restoration as well. I do not have the book but boy if there was a way you could get a copy electronic or paper I would surely be grateful. I have the flat tail version so that book would be wonderful. I am glad you mentioned the flat top surface I will be sure to leave it as is but I have already cut the wing center section out as I am going to convert it to a plug-in wing with cf wing tube. It is going to be tricky but the rewards will be well worth the effort. I am shooting for 12 lbs with ei converted G62. This thing had loads of pull running vess 22b even when it was at 20 lbs.
I can get my book copied easy enough I think... I might still be able to have the plans copied too.. although they're in about 3pieces at this point. I wish you well on that 12lbs... its a good goal.. hopefully you'll still have some plane left to fly after all the trimming. My first one weighs in right at 15lbs.. that's with a BME50, carbon fiber everywhere replacing hardwood, cutting/enlarging lightening holes, lightweight everything... At the time that I built it, 15lbs was a very light 50cc plane.. matter of fact..the Extra wasn't even known as a 50cc plane... It flies incredibly well... with unlimited performance.
The biggest wonder I have on your plan though is the G62... they're pretty hefty engines.. thats for sure.. great power plants mind you, but really not a great engine if weight is an issue. There's alot of other engines that are coming in now that are really nice though for the money.. the DLA55 might be one.. lightweight, said to have good power.. just check the weight specs on that 62 and compare to some current engines.. just an FYI...

Let me see what I can do about getting this book copied.. I think I can take care of that... The plans on the other hand are going to cost me a little bit...if they can even do them since thier cut up.. I dont' see why they can't... its just not one nice big roll anymore is all.. but if they can be done, I'll let you know.

Also... I don't know what you considered about flying wires since your plane has the flat stab.. but the wires are definately IMPORTANT with the flat stab versions... do not fly without them... I used a coated kevlar for those.. same same rigging really... just replace the steel cable with kevlar...I got mine at Don's Hobby,Salina,KS. about 12yrs ago.....I think he still has it though. I got your PM.. and will check it out... yeah .. this site is a pain anymore... hard to know why either.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:23 AM
Crismedicatrix

This is a pic of my extra 300s (flat tail) with a DL50. I hardly ever needed more than half throttle, even to torque. Don´t worry about it being flat tail, maybe the xs with it´s tail can performe better, but I assure you this flat baby can do anything you want. My plane was 17 pounds wet. It was great to go into tunbling moves as it continued to tumble having a bit more mass, real fun. Had a crash with about 50 flights, and rebuilding it now. I will convert it to electric power. The gasoline smell was bugging me quite a bit. I imagine it being such a smooth flyer as it was, it is going to fly very nice and SMOOTH with electric. Great plane guys !!!

Name:	Yw68117.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1581369  
Old 06-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Josue

Can you sale me a copy of plans for the Midwest 300 extra? best regards.
Carlos
Old 08-18-2012, 08:16 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I am new to gas and wonder if a 33 cc gasser will fly the 330xs? Will a Saito 180 on ignition with glow fuel power it? I am not into extreme flight, just mild acrobatics. Thank you very much.

Sincerely, Richard/Club saito # 635
Old 08-19-2012, 04:10 AM
mustangman177

Digger44

Just found your build thread on this plane. Wish I had earlier. I have the sane plane with a OS BGX 3500. and flys great. Did you complete yours and any updates ?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:09 PM
DGrant

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

Hi, I am new to gas and wonder if a 33 cc gasser will fly the 330xs? Will a Saito 180 on ignition with glow fuel power it? I am not into extreme flight, just mild acrobatics. Thank you very much.

Sincerely, Richard/Club saito # 635
Although a 33cc gas engine would fly the plane.. Unless the plane was extremely light.. there won't be any kind of performance factor at all. I've heard of these flying with 1.80 Moki(2-stroke glow), but extreme measures were taken in the build that lightened the airframe considerably. I don't think it would cut it even for mild aerobatics. I have seen these fly with something around a 45cc gas engine, and that had somewhat spirited performance.. but I would have to say you'd have to go larger then a 33cc. I have one framed up in my garage that I've contemplated a 38cc Zenoah(heavy engine though)..but I've since reconsidered.. hoping to get into a bigger engine for it. I picked it up for a practice plane, so I can save my 50cc powered plane for event flying. If you can get a hold of a 50.. thats your ticket really.. nothing flies like these with a 50. My Extra is unlimited with the BME50.. but I recomend either a bigger engine for this plane, or a smaller plane for your engine.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:55 AM
CM1scw

In the process of covering my 300s now. Picked it up a few years ago already complete and it was a heavy build. shaved over 2 pounds off and power is from a BME44, final weight should be in the 12-13 lbs range. Plan on getting this in hte air this year, included is a picture of the wing top, decals to be added later.

Name:	Sq47907.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1795056  
Old 08-27-2012, 10:39 AM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

Hi Everyone,

Just picked up one of these planes last night with a new NIB Brison 3.2.

I've been looking through the thread and see where several people have asked for the instructions and plans. I also am in need of these. Can someone please post to this thread these two items?

Thank you.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Crismedicatrix

have fun with this great flying plane !!!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fc90044.pdf (3.65 MB, 317 views)
Hd94755.pdf (748.9 KB, 228 views)
Ag91428.pdf (3.37 MB, 235 views)
It98767.pdf (3.30 MB, 238 views)
Old 08-28-2012, 06:14 AM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

That is awesome! Thank you Crismedicatrix.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:57 AM
CM1scw

Thank you as well !! Bought this plane without any paperwork so it is nice to see/read about it.

thank you again.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:44 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one on the wall( complete ) and one in the box, interested ?? ENJOY !!! RED
Old 08-28-2012, 12:45 PM
CM1scw

I would be interested for the one in a box.

Dan
Old 08-31-2012, 06:23 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pm sent . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 02-23-2013, 04:50 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm surprised this thread is not only old, but it is in the Beginners forum
Old 02-23-2013, 06:19 PM
DGrant

ORIGINAL: tailskid

I'm surprised this thread is not only old, but it is in the Beginners forum
Funny it comes up today too.. I just referenced this thread on another forum.. and no.. I didn't realize its in the beginners forum.. when did that happen?.. all these years I never noticed it.. Good catch... I wonder how many contributors to this thread still have thier Extra though... I do. Haha... its a classic for sure.. just like good old music is timeless.. so are good old airplanes.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:02 PM
bbbair

I still have my Extra and it is working quite well thank you!

The DA 50 R is in peak form, I have Modified the colour scheme a tad but beyond that the plane is 'Original' and working quite well- Thank You!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.