Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Shredder XT Pitch on Spur Gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 11:05 AM
lobo_fl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shredder XT Pitch on Spur Gear

I recently got a Redcat Racing Shredder XT Roller from Ebay. I ordered a Brushless Power System through HobbyKing and finally got it in but everytime I mount the engine andput on the included 21 tooth pinion gear.. Problem is the spur and pinion do not quite seem to mesh.. I have several other pinions and have tried them all but none of them seem to mesh right. Also if I actually try to drive it with one of those pinions on it it actually just loosens itself and spins off.. So I'm thinking its a pitch issue. Also is there any way as I could get the dimensions and such of the original motor as I cant seem to find the info any where.. Thanks aheadNot a lot of experience with the redcat stuff this is my first one.. All the other ones I own are all Traxxas..
Old 02-22-2013, 01:20 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Shredder XT Pitch on Spur Gear

improper pitch will not cause your pinion gear to come loose from the motor. that would mean the slug screw (or the threads in the pinion gear) are bad or not tight enough.

I cant recall the pitch,
but you could either call redcat @ 602-454-6445
or email the question to [email protected]
Old 02-22-2013, 01:58 PM
lobo_fl

Thanks for the reply. I haven't had their number but I did email their sales and support but never got a reply.. I have tried several different pinion gears all with different slug screws but doesn't seem to make a difference. I did order an original pinion gear that comes with that model but I don't know if it has a 5mm or 7mm shaft on it. My new motor I got for it has a 5mm shaft.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:04 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: lobo_fl

Thanks for the reply. I haven't had their number but I did email their sales and support but never got a reply.. I have tried several different pinion gears all with different slug screws but doesn't seem to make a difference. I did order an original pinion gear that comes with that model but I don't know if it has a 5mm or 7mm shaft on it. My new motor I got for it has a 7mm shaft.
wow, big motor.
Im 90% sure it had a 5mm shaft. I cant imagine it had a 7mm, as 5mm is common amount 1/8 scales (the shredder is based off the 8e line)
You will likely need a different gear the same pitch but diff size bore.

I usually get prompt responces to emails sent to that address, but calling gets me the needed answer 95% of the time.

the parts search shows a 15t, 3mm bore pinion gear, but im not sure thats correct. I coudl sware the stock motor had a 5mm shaft.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:23 PM
PetRock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a Shredder SC sitting right beside me: 5mm shaft mod1 pitch.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:46 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: PetRock

I've got a Shredder SC sitting right beside me: 5mm shaft mod1 pitch.
thats what I thought, but didnt want to say for sure. and lead him wrong.

I knew it couldnt have a 7mm shaft. Thats a bigger motor.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:10 PM
lobo_fl

Can anyone get me the size and dimensions of the original motor.. Like I said trying to get it running with a bigger motor but if it doesn't match and I have to go with a smaller motor with a 5mm shaft I can. When I was looking for power systems I was going for the 1/5 or 1/6 scale as that's what they advertise it as.. I guess I could just swap out the 1/8 scale power system I have on my Emaxx and put this stuff in there
Old 02-23-2013, 05:01 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Can anyone get me the size and dimensions of the original motor.. Like I said trying to get it running with a bigger motor but if it doesn't match and I have to go with a smaller motor with a 5mm shaft I can. When I was looking for power systems I was going for the 1/5 or 1/6 scale as that's what they advertise it as.. I guess I could just swap out the 1/8 scale power system I have on my Emaxx and put this stuff in there
not sure the original motor specs, but any 5mm 1/8 scale motor should fit without any issue.

and to be honest, its doubtful the driveline would hold up to a 1/5 scale motor. It would probly shred the diffs.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:14 PM
PetRock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone get me the size and dimensions of the original motor..
It's a standard 3674 motor, 1500kv. I run mine on 6s half the time (new ESC) but if it broke today I'd replace it with a cheap Tacon, run it on 4s, and call it a day. There's not a lot of room for a wider motor in there, but a 4074 may fit.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:08 PM
lobo_fl

Well I guess my biggest problem was thinking of this vehicle as a 1/6 scale .. Thanks for all the help I appreciate it very much.. I will update for everyone out there once I get a resolution on this as info on the shredders are very limited.. Although I must admit I have a strong want to test to destruction just to see what it can handle.. lol
Old 02-24-2013, 01:11 PM
lobo_fl

OK got the 1/5 Scale Motor transferred to the E-maxx and everything runs perfectly. Problem is the 1/8 power system I had in the E-maxx doesn't mount up either it has a fin heat sink built on it which makes it where I cant mount that system in there. Its the Turnigy Trackstar 1/8 Waterproof system. Here is the Link.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00KV_120A.html

The question I have now is I have seen people talk about a larger motor mount for the Shredder XT but I cant seem to find one, even through google searches. I have seen a couple of people cut a hole in the chassis to allow one but I would prefer not to do that. Any ideas where I might find this oversized motor mount for it?

Thanks in advance

Old 02-24-2013, 01:17 PM
lobo_fl

In case anyone cares to know this is the motor I bought for it originally. Works Great in an E-maxx single motor setup..

Turnigy Brushless 1/8 Scale Car Power System 2000KV/150A

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9127

Old 03-01-2013, 09:33 AM
lobo_fl

Ok just an update I got the pinion gear in from Redcat Racing and it is a 5mm shaft on it. The teeth have a rather

extreme pitch to it so I can see now why it would just strip off the standard ones from other manufacturers.. I plan to

put the Turnigy Brushless 1/8 Scale Car Power System 2000KV/150A back in there from my Emaxx to test it out

as I still have not found the supposed oversized motor mount that I read about.. I'll update as soon as I can

tell if this fixes the problem