Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Oil spatter

Old 02-16-2013, 06:46 AM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Oil spatter

My thought is if he is useing a synthetic oil at 50:1 that is suppose to be used at 100-1.
Years ago I found that out the hard way....carbon mess!
Now I just use ol'Stile regular in my DA 50's and they run as good or better then guys using the fancy stuff.
A little black to clean off at the end of the day but not much.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:49 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Checklst

Oh man hear we go!!!!!!!LOL......need pop corn......

\W8YE?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:37 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

way better than Glow goo all down the plane huh..
Old 02-16-2013, 10:51 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

I've been flying gas for a long time and have been around DA too. I have never seen a DA do that. You said that it misses on take off. That tells me the engine is rich on the low end. The mess you have may be when the engine clears out on take off. When the engine clears out it will blow a lot of raw fuel and oil out. Dennis
Exactly.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Score: 100
Last Login: 2/16/2013
Status: offline I agree with everything that has been posted here. One other thing I would look for is a loose bolt holding the engine down, at the muffler, or anywhere else in the engine area. If a bolt is vibrating even a little, or the muffler is loose, the vibrating turns the oil very dark and looks like this. I know, I've seen it on my models...

Worth a look..
I am pretty sure this is much more on track than a problem with the oil mixture or carb settings. The other thing is to test the engine (while stopped) around TDC for some looseness or a popping feel in the rod end. The last time I got a mess like that, the engine ate a jug.

YMMV
Old 02-16-2013, 11:12 AM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: airtourer

Hi All,

Please see accompanying picture. I am curious what you think the cause is and how to remedy the excessive oil spatter.

The oil is mixed at 50:1 and is a fully synthetic type. The engine has about twelve hours total operation time.

Paul
Paul

Your answer is in the video here:
http://www.desertaircraft.com.au/sho...nd-lubricants/

Yours reminds me of the Old Sears 2s oil that they used to add graphite to for chainsaws !

Use caution when cleaning up a well carboned engine though. A visual physical inspection for stuck rings and carboned up pistons with a lot of build up can loose flakes of carbon and score a piston/cylinder in a heart beat.

Maybe a look see by DA would be in order, Your choice though.

I don't sell oil but do use Spectro, Golden Spectro and Redline and have for thirty some years.
BTW: I mix at a 32 to 1 ratio or 40 to 1 (as required) oil not only lubes but helps cool as it passes through the engine.

Again, It's your choice.

Best of Luck !

DinD
Old 02-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Seems that everyone here is trying to make out like the engine has a problem or that any oil on an airplane signals a problem. Maybe not the case at all!

For example, I run 32:1 in all my engines. My choice and like so many others I've used Stihl HP Ultra over the last two seasons. Most of my airplanes have very little to almost no residue on them but one, a 30 sized YAK is always a mess after a day at the field. The only difference compared to the other airplanes ..... a different muffler that has the stacks shortened so the cowl can go on and off easily. The stacks simply don't get the exhaust far enough away from the plane so any residue gets deposited on the bottom of the plane. No great problem as one pass with a rag and its gone. So that means there is an exhaust problem, not an engine problem, not an oil problem, not a DA vs the world problem, not a 32:1 vs 100:1 problem and not even a synthetic vs dino oil problem. In fact, not a problem at all.

Good god all mighty, these are engines that are burning fuel that has oil mixed with it. Not all of the oil burns so it has to go somewhere. In fact, some synthetics hardly burn at all in the combustion process so a great quantity is discharged with the exhaust ... so where does it go? In some cases, on the bottom of the airplane.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:07 PM
GSNut

Truckracer..

As you replied to GSNut.

I am glad you are happy with your choice and wish you well Sir !

Cheers

DinD

Old 02-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Truckracer

Sorry, my reply to the thread was a general one and not directed at you. Sorry if I said anything that offended you as I certainly didn't mean to do that.

Question though, I'm not sure what you meant by"your choice" in your response. Other than mentioning an oil brand which I probably shouldn't have done, I never mentioned any product brands as I don't believe that has any bearing on this thread..... though people constantly seem to want to turn every thread into a brand war or a my way is better than your way battle. Oh well ....
Old 02-16-2013, 12:50 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using DLE20 on my Yak 54 120 from nitro planes. I started off running the motor with Klotz synthetic oil and the ratio is 32:1 as recommended by DLE. I never knew that I should have run 2 gallons with the regular oil then switch it to synthetic oil. As I had been told that it's not gonna hurt the engine though but it might take a little longer to get settled in, where I do not have to tweak LSN and HSN anymore.

I had seen the black oil spatter underneath the cowl and at the leading edge and some on stab. I was told not to worry it's normal and during the course of time it would be dissipated. This is my first gasser and I ain't an expert, I'm a noob at this. Now I've ordered me XYZ 20cc from VVRC and I'm gonna install it on my new Seagull model's MXS-R. I'm going to run Pennzoil air-cooled oil for two gallons then I'd be switching it synthetic fuel.

I think black oil spatter are nothing to worry about as I was told.

Thanks

Mody
Old 02-16-2013, 01:11 PM
GSNut

Truckracer..

Not a problem. "Your choice" means simply that if it works for you that is all that is important.

Cheers

DinD
Old 02-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Truckracer

Black oil on the bottom of the airplane can by a symptom of a problem or no problem at all.

For example, if you have an engine that you have been running for sometime and the oil residue, regardless of how much or how little, starts to turn black when it was relatively clear before, you may be developing a problem. That problem might be a worn bearing inside the engine, a piston that has become scored or has a stuck ring, a loose muffler, etc. It can also be coming from a muffler, pipe or can that has become full of carbon and that carbon is starting to release into the exhaust stream. The point here is you just have to look for changes over time and correct them if necessary. Not something to worry about, just something to take care of as a part of normal maintenance.

Another example might be an airplane / exhaust / oil combination that just puts out dark oil or an exhaust stream that comes out at low velocity producing a concentrated residue. Some oils just produce darker residue than others. Some exhaust systems tend to run hot and cook the exhaust residue and produce a darker residue. Probably not a problem at all. You just have to decide what is normal for your combination of parts and pieces and act to correct a problem is you see a change.

Yet another example might be the new engine that seems to produce excessive exhaust residue .... and it never clears up. In this case you might want to start inspecting things to see if there is a problem and again, correct accordingly.

Of course in all cases, one has to assure the engine is tuned properly, is properly cooled, make sure everything is tight ans secure, etc.

There, I never once mentioned a brand name, an oil ratio, etc.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:31 PM
pe reivers

Used to say amsoil. certainly not at 1:100
ORIGINAL: 3136

It's a little odd how DA USA say to use amsoil and DA Australia say to use redline.
http://www.desertaircraft.com.au/sho...or-da-engines/
Old 02-16-2013, 05:49 PM
avidflyguy
My Feedback: (48)

synthetic oil is a waste of money, most people that use it seem to think its some special magic snake oil that that will give your engine 50% more power and make it last longer, its all in the users tuning ability and personally i would be a little worried if i didn't have a little oil spatter on my plane after flying, no oil spatter means not enough oil in my opinion, i fly ultralights and homebuilt planes that have rotax 2 stroke engines in them,(over 1,100 hours behind rotax powered aircraft) i use pennzoil in them along with my rc models, and never had an engine failure, i can't say the same for my hangar mates who have used amsoil and klotz in their aircraft(full size homebuilts) and have suffered engine damage, synthetics are poor at keeping things lubricated and rust free in anything thats not used often, having a catastrophic engine out because of rusted/pitted crankshaft bearings (amsoil)while you are up in the air isn't something you want to experience. another flyer had used klotz in his new engine and after about 25-30 hours of flights, he noticed that it had been increasingly difficult to start, we tore it down to discover that the piston and rings were carboned up so bad, they were stuck,2 rings on each piston x 2. needless to say that both flyers now are on pennzoil and have been flying without any issues now after i told them to not to use synthetics. by the way i'm a powersports technician with over 25 years experience in this field and own my own repair shop and i know a thing or two about 2 stroke operation and what it takes to keep them alive and running, and it ain't with 100:1 ratio amsoil, i can gaurantee that
Old 02-16-2013, 06:31 PM
armody

This is not my thread and I certainly have no intention to hack this thread, but I would certainly commend the person who started this thread which is very informative for a Gasser newbie like me.

I have a question for you avidflyguy. I have so much respect for all those who are much more experienced than me and I'm here learning the ropes. The question I wanted to ask was I bought DLE20 a year ago, and it's been a few months since I have started it and few weeks since I have actually started flying my plane which is Yak 54 120 by nitro models. I never knew that I had to use a regular non-synthetic oil. I just bought Klotz off the shelf from my LHS and they have not told me anything about it. I started off running it with Klotz 32:1 ratio, and since my DLE20 is new and has not even gone thru a gallon of fuel in it. I was also told that it may take up much time to ease out and start running without problems. I was also told that I needed to run two gallons on this motor without using synthetic oil then I may switch to synthetic oil with a ratio of 32:1 or I may go up to 40:1 and even 50:1.

My DLE20 is still fairly new I'd say pretty much new. I have bought Pennzoil's two stroke air-cooled oil non synthetic. With your tremendous experience, avidflyguy, do you think that I may switch to regular Pennzoil oil and run my DLE20 with it and stay away from synthetic oil like klotz or any other brand. This question is also very important for me as I have ordered XYZ 20cc from VVRC and it's on its way, and will be delivered next week. This way I can use the same Pennzoil mixed 32:1 ratio gas on both engines? Since I have no intention of going through a lot of hell with my DLE20 and new motor XYZ20.

Thanks

Mody
Old 02-16-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

It's a little odd how DA USA say to use amsoil and DA Australia say to use redline.
Correct again P.E, I stand corrected, they reccomend amsoil at 100-1 or Belray at 50-1
at the top right you can download the manual, page 4 has the oil section.
http://www.desertaircraft.com/engine...hp?Page=DA-150 (that is DA USA site)

I don't really care what oil people use,I justthought it was unusual how the two DAbranches had completely different opinions
Old 02-17-2013, 12:04 AM
Rudolph Hart

It does'nt matter what oil we use or how much of it.If you don'nt like it on your plane don't add it to the fuel it's not like you are going to drive your brand new car down the road for ten minutes then pull over and stare at the bugs on your brand new windshield..and like..hate them
Old 02-17-2013, 02:47 AM
pe reivers

You are right too.
In some manuals they still have the Amsoil recommendation, and have not changed the manual yet. However, "wood-is-good" posted about their changed recommendation due to problems they encountered with the 1:100 mix.
I quote from the DA85 manual;
ï‚· After the break-in process, we recommend a high quality synthetic oil. As for brand of oil,
there are many good ones on the market. Some oils, and their mix ratios, that Desert Aircraft
recommends are: Red-line Two Stroke Racing Oil (40 to 1), Motul 800 (50 to 1), and Stihl HP
Ultra (50 to 1). These oils can be found at most motorcycle or chainsaw shops.

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

Correct again P.E, I stand corrected, they reccomend amsoil at 100-1 or Belray at 50-1
at the top right you can download the manual, page 4 has the oil section.
http://www.desertaircraft.com/engine...hp?Page=DA-150 (that is DA USA site)

I don't really care what oil people use,I justthought it was unusual how the two DAbranches had completely different opinions
Old 02-17-2013, 03:08 AM
avidflyguy
My Feedback: (48)

its been my experience that mineral based oils have much better rust protection for things that don't get used very often. its usually best to break in engines with mineral based oil and in the end, i see no real reason to switch over to synthetics. its pretty much up to the user if you want to use synthetic, but i would stay away from low ratio mixes like 100:1 amsoil, its just isn't enough protection at that level. in my rc engines, 32:1 for break in and 40:1 after break in, i do have a converted supertigre on ignition and gas that requires 20:1 mix because the con rod uses a bushing instead of bearing, i have a dle 55,30 and a da 100, all at 40:1 the dle 55 is going through its 15-16th gallon with no issues, and the da has roughly 22-23 gallons, all have hardly any carbon build up and most importantly, rings are not stuck. don't worry about oil spatter, a little bit is a good thing to see
Old 02-17-2013, 04:11 AM
RiverLarry

Well I am out of Pop Corn !!!! Now What !!!!

dont know what to tell you Old Fart it is sunday still time for this to turn out in a + way
Old 02-17-2013, 04:18 AM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

So no Wal-Mart near you Larry? And you can pick up some 2 Cycle oil while your there...
ORIGINAL: RiverLarry

Well I am out of Pop Corn !!!! Now What !!!!

dont know what to tell you Old Fart it is sunday still time for this to turn out in a + way
Old 02-17-2013, 04:46 AM
armody

Last night after the posting of avidflyguy, I had less than two gallons of Klotz mixed fuel, I poured it down into my car. I went to the gas station, got me two gallons of fuel, added Pennzoil air-cooled two stroke oil to it and I got me two gallons ready without synthetic oil. I'm up early since I'm gonna go flying at 8am as I thought, since after 12pm wind's gonna pick up to like 13 to 15 miles.

So basically it's all choice whether you switch to synthetic after couple of gallons or not. I have not seen on the DLE20's manual if it says it needs synthetic oil, it says two stroke motor oil.

Mody
Old 02-17-2013, 05:58 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

I have 5 gassers, and they all have a few(easily cleaned) oil speckles on the belly. 2 strokes and 40:1 mixtures will do that. Looking at the picture, it looks like short stacks are the cause.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:40 AM
airtourer

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your replies, suggestions.

Since writing my post I have tuned the engine up to where its now slightly lean. Fades a bit going up hill. Will richen a bit before next session. Still plenty of oil specs.

Unfortunately where I live I cannot purchase the big name oil brands people mention without importing them myself.

Might try a non synthetic oil for a couple of weeks to see if there is any improvement.

Cheers,

Paul
Old 02-24-2013, 04:50 AM
Rudolph Hart

You are being to fussy.It's easier and less thought provoking to just not worry about a few specks on your plane..go outside and wash your car or do some gardening like pull a few weeds man

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.