Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

New Wraith

Old 02-17-2013, 09:51 AM
keola

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Wraith

Hello every1. i just baught my son and I 2 RTR Axial Wraiths. My son cooked his motor so I had to take my stock motor out of my truck and pu it in his so I had an extra 10.5 turn novak that I dropped in my but that is only temporary. Does any1 know of a solid comp set up for those trucks ? Its a no budget build so I am looking for the set up out their with excellent quality. I am looking to use alot of Vanquish and RC4wd parts with a 2spd trans and 4ws.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:34 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: New Wraith

Here's some ideas:

Tekin www.teamtekin.com/roc412.html or www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p
Novak www.teamnovak.com/products/brushless/3419_crawler_sintered_motor/index.html or www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p

There are a few other brands on the market but Ithese are some systems that I am personally looking into for my Axial SCX10.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:35 PM
keola

Thank you raelly appreciate your help . Have you looked into servos yet or a shock set up. I have been leaning towards the King shocks .
Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Iuse a Hitec HS-5625MG servo in my SCX10. It was something Ihad leftover from another vehicle. Most of my other RC vehicles have Savox servos. There are a lot of good choices on the market. The Hitec Iuse could actually be more powerful for crawling purposes. A servo with torque in the high 100s or maybe over 200 oz/in would be a good choice. Speed isn't as critical. Where you start to run into trouble is when you install high powered servos that draw a lot of current from the ESC. Sometimes you have to run a separate BEC or install a capacitor so the ESC doesn't clip when you steer.

My brother has a Wraith soI can ask him if he found any good mods for it. Ihave seen plenty of aluminum uprgrades like axle housings, linkages and other chassis components. You've probably seen them at RC4WD.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 AM
nitro stan

the mamba max pro esc and tekin pro4 motor on 3 or 4 cell lipo seem to be the hot set up. get ready to upgrade the whole drivetrain, steel trans gears,mip driveshafts,hardened diff gears and lockers, 32pitch spur and pinion conversion,aluminum hexes and wheels. im sure im missing something.thats all needed to handle big power. i dont have a wraith, but i run with several people that do,and they all have well over a grand in em.
then theres the normal durability hop ups, aluminum c hubs and knuckles and links
budget not a issue, id run a hitec 7955tg or bigger with a castle 10 amp bec.
king shocks look good and i read good things about em.

gear your sons truck down, its geared to high out of the box, they all fry the stock motor for that reason, drop the motor pinion down about 4 teeth, it'll slow it down, but motors will last longer
Old 02-20-2013, 10:44 PM
keola

Thank you all very much for some great advice. I just put in the Novak Goat 18.5 set with the basic Vanquish c hubs , knucles and the front steering links. By next month I plan to have the rest of the Vanquish upgrades installed including front and back axles.
 I also am planning on going with a 3cell lipo set up possibly with a 2 spd trans with 4 wheel steering. Does you folks know any great gear set ups ?
Old 02-21-2013, 06:41 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hummm, donk know about running a hot brushless setup with 4ws and a 2 speed.... are u sure whats what u want?

all depends what u want from it. like if u were into crawling the wraiths gearbox housing holds the dig gear set, its a great way to get tighter turns with out the bad handling accioated with 4ws.

If u are keen on the 4ws, I would looking to a better controller with more chanels so it can be turned off.

Just wondering why the 2 speed on a brushless combo? I can understand it on a brushed motor because they dont have aliner torque curve, and they cant suck amps like a brushless motor does. All a 2speed will do is only effect the top speed and current draw. there will be no torque or acceleration gains like we see in brushed setups. see when u load up a brushless motor it draws more current, and effectivally maked the motor more powerfull to compensate for the increase of gearing, providing u havent maxed out the ESC
Old 02-23-2013, 12:00 AM
keola

Im not sure  whait is it I want kinda still running through all the goods and bads and keep an open mind on all Ideas. I was thinkiing a 2 spd trans for crawling and 2nd gear for trailing or if their is a crawl with an open section to light it up and 4 wheel steering for more technical sections in crawling but the more I learn about these things 4 ws is kinda not sounding to good .
 I think i may just go wth a full crawler with the wraith and pick up a twin hammer for trailing and just flying up some big fast hills.
 Im still open for any Ideas. I was on you tue tonight and I saw Sebs suspension set upwhich I really liked and wanna do.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:26 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont get to caught on uprades... u can spend a few hundred on all those funky links and alloy parts sure it might get ridof some slop, but it wont make it crawl better.

its like the guys that fit the traxxas brushless combos, Wow it water proof, but now they have no brakes going down hill.

My advice is really get to know ur truck and play, play and pla, then after a while have a good hard think what does it needs?

good luck
Old 02-25-2013, 08:42 AM
keola

Thanks for all the great advice.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:59 AM
Muskokarc

I would have to second what phmaximus said about  upgrades.  It is all to easy to OD on them and spend twice as much on them then you did on the original purchase.  Run your machine and see what you break every one breaks something different based on their driving style.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:50 AM
gforce2448
My Feedback: (12)

Great advice...I will third what you guys have said. Get to know your truck and upgrade it the best way it will benefit your driving and what you do with it. All the bling looks cool but isn't necessarily helping performance.

I two have 2 Wraiths, a kit I built for myself and a stock Wraith I bought used and cleaned up for my son. I like crawling and trail driving. I'm running a MMP with a 17.5T Novak BL motor, with that setup I have good drag brake, speed, and torque which works great for how I drive. So far I've only upgraded my steering linkage and servo horn after damaging those crawling. My son is all about going fast and bashing...so I've left his completely stock and only plan to replace what he breaks. lol