Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Hostetler Stinson SR10 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Hostetler Stinson SR10 Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 08:06 AM
sctriguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hostetler Stinson SR10 Build

Going to be building the Hostetler Stinson SR 10. Just received the cut full kit from National Balsa yesterday. Had a question about stab, elevators and rudder. The plan shows these built with 1/8" balsa laminated with 1/64" ply. National Balsa sent me these parts cut out of 3/32" ply. Not sure if these are templates. If they are tempates they didnt send me 1/64" ply. Could i just use the 3/32" ply parts? They would be 1/16" thinner than shown on plans. I plan on asking National Balsa Monday but wanted to see what everyone here thought.

May try to turn this into my build thread but not sure there is an interest since there is already a really good one on this site.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80010.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	1855332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91403.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1855333  
Old 02-24-2013, 03:19 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Hostetler Stinson SR10 Build

Go ahead and use the 3/32 parts.

When I built a Hostetler design, I purchased a kit from a different cutter. I found a few substitutions, in parts thickness, or the way that they cut. It all ended up fine.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:34 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sctriguy

Going to be building the Hostetler Stinson SR 10. Just received the cut full kit from National Balsa yesterday. Had a question about stab, elevators and rudder. The plan shows these built with 1/8" balsa laminated with 1/64" ply. National Balsa sent me these parts cut out of 3/32" ply. Not sure if these are templates. If they are tempates they didnt send me 1/64" ply. Could i just use the 3/32" ply parts? They would be 1/16" thinner than shown on plans. I plan on asking National Balsa Monday but wanted to see what everyone here thought.

May try to turn this into my build thread but not sure there is an interest since there is already a really good one on this site.
sctriguy,

The drawing shows a single layer of ply in the thickness center and is not drawn as a ply.
I realize the impossibbility of printing 4 lines at full scale having 1/64" total thickness.

Your total thickness is 8/64" + 1/64" + 8/64" = 17/64"
Using the 3/32" instead of a 1/64" give a thickness 5/64" thicker.

I would use the 3/32" ply and enjoy more strength.

Zor

Old 02-24-2013, 01:25 PM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

sctriguy,

Tom Crump has experience with building several large-scale models including Hostetler's designs. Go with his experienced advice.

I took out my copy of the Hostetler SR-10 plans. I see what you're referring to. The core of the vertical stab, rudder, horizontal stab, and elevators show a 1/8" balsa core between two sheets of 1/64" ply. 1/8" balsa ribs bring the profile of the surfaces to meet the outline as shown on the plans.Not sure what type of 3/32" ply National Balsa sent you - aircraft-grade ply (typically 5-plys) or Lite ply (3-plys). My money is that you have Lite ply. I missed the part where they sent you two sets of the ply parts for thevert. stab/rudder and the hori stab/elevator(sarcasm intended).

To settle things in your mind, lay out the vert. stab/rudder ribs (R1-R5) and the hori stab/elevator ribs (S1-S6) onto your plan sheet. If the gap between each pair of ribs is 3/32", this is an area where National Balsa made a substitution. No big deal.

By all means post a build thread. Lots of folks learn new things from build threads. I know I do. When it comes to advice, go with those that have experience - not speculation.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:14 PM
sctriguy

ORIGINAL: EJWash1

sctriguy,

Tom Crump has experience with building several large-scale models including Hostetler's designs. Go with his experienced advice.

I took out my copy of the Hostetler SR-10 plans. I see what you're referring to. The core of the vertical stab, rudder, horizontal stab, and elevators show a 1/8" balsa core between two sheets of 1/64" ply. 1/8" balsa ribs bring the profile of the surfaces to meet the outline as shown on the plans.Not sure what type of 3/32" ply National Balsa sent you - aircraft-grade ply (typically 5-plys) or Lite ply (3-plys). My money is that you have Lite ply. I missed the part where they sent you two sets of the ply parts for thevert. stab/rudder and the hori stab/elevator(sarcasm intended).

To settle things in your mind, lay out the vert. stab/rudder ribs (R1-R5) and the hori stab/elevator ribs (S1-S6) onto your plan sheet. If the gap between each pair of ribs is 3/32", this is an area where National Balsa made a substitution. No big deal.

By all means post a build thread. Lots of folks learn new things from build threads. I know I do. When it comes to advice, go with those that have experience - not speculation.
Only sent me one set of these parts not 2. It is lite ply. just want to make sure I am not compromising using only one layer of 3/32" lite ply.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:06 PM
EJWash1

The 1/64" ply skins on the 1/8" balsa sheet core approach on the plans would be a bit more stable than the Lite ply, but the 1/8" balsa ribs and leading/trailing edges will stabilize the Lite ply just fine. If it were me, I'd build the rudder or one elevator panel, un-sanded, and set it aside to convince myself of the stability of the Lite ply. Then I'd have my answer as to if I'd stick with it or make-up the 1/64" ply/1/8 balsa sheet core pieces.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:32 PM
sctriguy

ORIGINAL: EJWash1

The 1/64" ply skins on the 1/8" balsa sheet core approach on the plans would be a bit more stable than the Lite ply, but the 1/8" balsa ribs and leading/trailing edges will stabilize the Lite ply just fine. If it were me, I'd build the rudder or one elevator panel, un-sanded, and set it aside to convince myself of the stability of the Lite ply. Then I'd have my answer as to if I'd stick with it or make-up the 1/64" ply/1/8 balsa sheet core pieces.
Just want to make sure National Balsa sent me what I should be using. Thanks for the response. This is going to be a fun build. My dad came over today to take a look at the plans, kit etc. He has built 15 plus models mostly GP, TF kits and a few scratch builds from AMA magazines. First thing he asked me was where are the step by step instructions. I told him its all on the plans.....

Old 02-24-2013, 05:27 PM
EJWash1

You guys are going to have fun. Please post a link if you decide to post a build thread. It would be a fun trip.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:42 AM
TomCrump

Ya, I'd like to see a build thread, too. There are plenty of experienced giant scale builders on this site. I'm sure that many would be willing to help, if needed.

If it bothers you, go ahead and laminate some 1/64 to both sides of the ply core. It sure won't hurt anything.

It's all about feeling secure in what you are doing. You don't want to build this big, beautiful, masterpiece, and be worried about it's construction.

I frequently modify things to what makes me comfortable. I always err on the side of strength, just to make myself feel better.

Your airframe will be handle some extra weight. Don't go nuts, but build it so that you are secure with the construction methods.

My Hostetler design required careful study of the plans. Make sure that you have thought out at least two steps ahead of where you are building. You want to think things through.

I'm green with jealousy. The Hostetler Stinson is a model that I would like to build. I already have a SR-8, however. It'll have to do.

Here are pics of my Hostetler Cessna 195, and my IKON Stinson.

Name:	Ec88245.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	474.8 KB
ID:	1856104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76891.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1856105  
Old 02-25-2013, 06:31 AM
sctriguy

ORIGINAL: TomCrump

Ya, I'd like to see a build thread, too. There are plenty of experienced giant scale builders on this site. I'm sure that many would be willing to help, if needed.

If it bothers you, go ahead and laminate some 1/64 to both sides of the ply core. It sure won't hurt anything.

It's all about feeling secure in what you are doing. You don't want to build this big, beautiful, masterpiece, and be worried about it's construction.

I frequently modify things to what makes me comfortable. I always err on the side of strength, just to make myself feel better.

Your airframe will be handle some extra weight. Don't go nuts, but build it so that you are secure with the construction methods.

My Hostetler design required careful study of the plans. Make sure that you have thought out at least two steps ahead of where you are building. You want to think things through.

I'm green with jealousy. The Hostetler Stinson is a model that I would like to build. I already have a SR-8, however. It'll have to do.

Here are pics of my Hostetler Cessna 195, and my IKON Stinson.
Iwould laminate the ply core with the 1/64 but they didnt send me any 1/64 ply. Iam also missing some of the balsa ribs for the stab . So far not a good start. Going to call National Balsa hopefully they will help me and take care of this.

Iwill turn this thread into my build thread and will post some pictures soon.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:35 AM
TomCrump

Unfortunately, missing parts is not uncommon.

I find it easier to pay the local hobby shop a visit, and buy what I need.

Unless it's something major, I prefer to keep my builds moving, instead of waiting for $10.00 worth of materials to arrive.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:55 AM
sctriguy

True, have to pick your battles sometimes. Waiting on a part that would take 2 minutes to make might not make sense. The quality of the wood is great.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:26 PM
wings2an3
My Feedback: (1)

Follow Tom C advice, read and plan ahead.

Name:	Lj23427.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1856227   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44719.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1856228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73678.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1856229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94340.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1856230  
Old 03-03-2013, 05:01 PM
sctriguy

Thought i would give an update on my build. Received all the missing parts from National Balsa. They were great and responded quickly. Started with the tail components. I am expecting my second child any day now so my build time has been short and far between. Below is my progress:

Old 03-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Zor
Banned

Thought i would give an update on my build. Received all the missing parts from National Balsa. They were great and responded quickly. Started with the tail components. I am expecting my second child any day now so my build time has been short and far between. Below is my progress:

sctriguy,

Looking at the fin-rudder picture I cannot see the hinge line as appear on the drawing to the right of the balsa structure. ????

Zor

Old 03-07-2013, 02:05 AM
TomCrump

Has your baby arrived, sctriguy ?

Your fin/rudder assembly looks great !
Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: TomCrump

Has your baby arrived, sctriguy ?

Your fin/rudder assembly looks great !

Tom C and sctriguy,

First I wish to thank Tom C for his post. His posting gives me more reason to have doubts about my monitor rendition. I see in some of my pictures some monitor colors that appear bluish when I know for a fact that the color is green being pics of my own model.

Explaining my post #15 I see a balsa colored single vertical balsa colored leading edge of the fin and immediatly to its left a dark black line that I interpreted as a shadow of the balsa piece as if the illumination is coming from the right. I do not see any hinges likely not yet installed.

I will now guess that the wide black line is perhaps a carbon fiber trailing edge of the fin or I do not know why it is black.

I will attempt to take a picture of my monitor screen and see if that is possible.

Zor

Name:	Rp43794.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1859158  
Old 03-07-2013, 07:19 AM
sctriguy

My daughter arrived this morning 12:15am . The black you see is left over from the lazer cutting of the TE of the fin.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:06 AM
EJWash1

My daughter arrived this morning 12:15am .
Congratulations Dad! Hope mom and baby are doing fine. Enjoy. Trust me, they grow-up before you know it.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:36 PM
Zor
Banned

My daughter arrived this morning 12:15am . The black you see is left over from the lazer cutting of the TE of the fin.
sctriguy,

CONGRATULATIONS on a job well done.
Not only the fin-rudder but the arrival of a beautiful baby girl.

Best wishes to you, mom and baby girl.
In no time at all you will listen to Mama and Dada and look at a pretty face smiling at you.

Zor

Old 03-07-2013, 05:31 PM
midget47

Good lucl with your build, I also recently purcased the Stinson reliant kit from National Balsa, also was concerned with the ply fuse sides they sent as a substitote, Icalled Hostetler about this and was told it would be O.K. but to line the top and bottom of the fuse sides with 1/4" Square balsa for added support. my Kit was also short 1 sheet of ribs for the verticle stabilizer. National Balsa sent me the missing sheet and also 1/4 inch balsa to support the fuse. I have used national Balsa for other project and they have always been very helpful and quick to respond to any issues. My build is under way and going smooth,I would post some pictures but I'm very lacking in computer skills. It would be great if you kept the thread going
Old 03-07-2013, 06:25 PM
sctriguy

ORIGINAL: midget47

Good lucl with your build, I also recently purcased the Stinson reliant kit from National Balsa, also was concerned with the ply fuse sides they sent as a substitote, Icalled Hostetler about this and was told it would be O.K. but to line the top and bottom of the fuse sides with 1/4" Square balsa for added support. my Kit was also short 1 sheet of ribs for the verticle stabilizer. National Balsa sent me the missing sheet and also 1/4 inch balsa to support the fuse. I have used national Balsa for other project and they have always been very helpful and quick to respond to any issues. My build is under way and going smooth,I would post some pictures but I'm very lacking in computer skills. It would be great if you kept the thread going
how far along are you? I started on the stab and elevators earlier in the week.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:14 AM
TomCrump

Congrats on the new arrival !
Old 03-08-2013, 07:34 AM
midget47

Dont know if these will show on site. Just spent 2 hrs tring to down load.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:39 AM
midget47

Sorry the pictures don't show, don't know what I'm doing wrong. have the horizontal and verticle stabilizers and the basic box of the fuse all framed. parts F-12 did not come from National Balsa with the arch cut. I will see if I can get some help with the pictures

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.