Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Old 02-17-2013, 05:41 PM
rebranger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Did you leave the throttle return spring on?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:08 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

Hello 757jonp,

It's a Z bend yeah, and I'm gonna get rid of it. I'm trying to place servo tray for throttle close to the fuel tank, as straight/aligned as ahicks mentioned. I'd get the bolted stud thing for throttle.

triumphman49, It's not dying on me, on WOT it's not affecting anything, I see a slight difference of RPM increase on WOT that's it, which is the reason I never got to fly the plane.

rebranger: The throttle spring had been taken off. I don't wanna blame my mentor, but all the setup was done by home, though he knew about gas engines, but he was not an expert on it.

A lot of changes I need to make to it, probably he did improvise on it.

Mody
Old 02-17-2013, 10:18 PM
FOOPED
My Feedback: (8)

armody did he take the spring completly off the carb or just unhook it?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:22 PM
armody

Hello Fooped,

He took it completely off, he had to scuffle it for quite some times and finally he'd been able to pull it off the motor
Old 02-17-2013, 10:39 PM
FOOPED

That spring is what holds the butterfly shaft against the c clip and keeps the butterfly from floating loose in the carb throat/barrel . You will have a hard time getting a good idle without it.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:54 PM
armody

Wow, since the throttle spring had been removed and now I'm outta luck kinda FUBAR?

It was my first DLE20 motor and I never used a gas plane ever before, whatever my mentor did, I never questioned him about it, he did help me out putting together my Yak 54 but in some other ways, it kinda messed up.

Before this all issue, I had a pretty good idle on it. Ever since I tweaked the idle, all the hell broke loose, but anyway, I'm gonna make changes by installing the servo tray close to the tank, making it sure that push rod is aligned/flushed, replace the ball link, probably I'd have to take the motor off the mount and then try to run the motor again, and dang I gotta buy me a servo extension as well, since I'm gonna push the throttle servo tray forward.

Mody
Old 02-17-2013, 11:06 PM
FOOPED

armody you could cut a peace of fuel line to take up the space left open where he took out the spring and then take the shaft out of the carb and slip the tubing spacer on it and put it back together and it will work fine. Or just order you a new carb and this time just unhook the spring . Do'nt take it off.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:34 AM
RiverLarry

Fooped + 1 on the fuel tub any thing that will stop it from going up and down !!!

it is a great way to go less chance of the arm catching on the spring

Armody just dont go over kill on how long you cut it use just enuft to stop

it from going up or down in the carb !!!! the B/F can hang up

on the top side also R/L
Old 02-18-2013, 07:01 PM
armody

I was trying to figure out and find the solution for my DLE20, I somehow had a chance to go to my LHS and spoke to the guy who is also president of one of the local clubs here in TX. I told him that I'm going to install throttle servo close to the fuel tank and he said it would create a lot of problems with my radio, as I didn't seem to find any other solution to it.

He's very well-experienced and he offered me that I need to bring down my plane to the shop, and he's going to adjust, install, troubleshoot and fix the whole problem for me. Well, I'm pretty excited about it, though I wanted to troubleshoot it by myself, but since I get the experienced help, I'm gonna go for it.

After that I'm gonna try to run the motor how it works. BTW I have also changed the fuel and I mixed up my fuel with Pennzoil two stroke Air-cooled oil non-synthetic.

Guys, thank y'all for your help. I'm also gonna tell him about the throttle spring how it was removed.

Mody
Old 02-19-2013, 06:34 PM
billberry189
My Feedback: (1)

I am new to this forum and have not read through it, so please bear with me. My friend has a DLE 20 that is about a year old, so it is well broken in. However, it has recently developed an idol problem. For some reason it will not hold a consistent idle without loading up and shutting down. High speed and mid-range are fine, but when he cuts back to landing speed idle it wants to load up and die. Transition is also good. This situation makes for alot of dead stick landings or on the other hand high speed landings( just in order to keep the engine from dying). It also makes for a lot of long distance aircraft retrieval when the engine shuts down at either end of the runway While trying to reach a reasonable taxing speed. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Bill form Orlando

PS- A multitude of carburator needle corrections have been tried without much success.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:40 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Bill - it might be the reeds or reed block. When these reeds age they can pull away from the block, which will prevent suction at low idle. Could also be that your throttle plate is loose. take the carb apart and look. It's not uncommon in these DLE's. You also might want to buy a carb rebuild kit and swap out the fuel pump membrane. As they age (especially with Ethanol in gas) they lose their elasticity. Could also be an air leak from the carb manifold. Best to buy a replacement gasket set, too.

But first - did you try adjusting the LS needle?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:29 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry, maybe because I haven't seen one of these "loading up" and quit because it's running too rich, I'm skeptical that's the problem? Especially when the issue is noticed on landing. What I have seen is a lean condition and/or too low an idle speed?

What you're describing has been an issue and some have taken it to the point that they're running high and low idle setups. I've never seen the need for that as long as you're willing to run the engine rich on the LS - with no attempt made to get a "smooth" idle. Emphasis made more on "reliable" idle? Those that have them are going to be running on the rich side....

If it's quiting on landing, I would adjust it a hair richer, and bump the idle speed up to accommodate the resulting lower idle. Keep doing that until it stops quiting.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:46 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

ahicks - good point - I also run a high and low idle. I cut it down just before landing.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Guijs

Guys, do you use a tank filter like Dubro Tank Filter? It is really important, considering that I already use a filter in my fuel pick up?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:20 AM
armody

ORIGINAL: Guijs

Guys, do you use a tank filter like Dubro Tank Filter? It is really important, considering that I already use a filter in my fuel pick up?
Hello Guijs,

This is exactly the tank same tank filter I'm using with my first gas plane Yak 54 and I'm going to use with my another gas plane MXS-R. Fuel line from tank to carb, it's good to use the in-line fuel filter but adding this fuel tank filter won't hurt anything, it would do better.

Thanks

Mody
Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Guijs

Great, thanks Mody!
Old 02-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Guijs

Guys can you confirm what is the diameter size of the mounting role? It is M3 or M4?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:53 PM
rebranger

What mount? Engine?
Old 02-21-2013, 06:34 PM
Guijs

Yes!
Old 02-25-2013, 01:33 PM
armody

Hello Guys,

Here is the update of last Saturday's flying and the day was beautiful, wind had been all day under 7Mph. I couldn't have asked for more. Here is the update of the flying and it contains many questions which I'd like to know the answer of.

I have changed the fuel from synthetic to non-synthetic Pennzoil Air-cooled oil. I have gotten the Z bend removed from the throttle link and had the ball link installed on it. Changed the throttle push rod and had the cable installed on it. Also installed the bigger servo arm which travels wider and better, provides an awesome leverage for throttle.

First flight was good somehow, on full throttle plane did sputter few times but flew OK. On half throttle I still felt it was flying full throttle, the retardation from full to half-throttle didn't change the sound or rpm of the motor at all, it was up in the air, that's what I felt. Idle had been OK.

Second flight I changed the setting of HSN, I got good RPM but somehow idle was very high rather taking up 10 seconds to get down to normal idle motor took around 20+ seconds to get down to normal idle higher idle. I flew the plane after that, and landing got the same issue, idle speed is so high, many time I over shot the landing area but as soon as I tried to pull the plane up, pushed full throttle boom a dead stick, I recovered the plane pretty well, flight time would have been 14 minutes, slight issue landing gear but recovered well.

3rd and last flight, idle was not set, I felt all the time that if somehow HSN is set, and I'm getting the right RPM and I noticed I was getting 8,200 to 8,400 on Xoar 17X6. I flew the plane, giving me good vertical and after 12 minutes I wanted to land the plane, there again idle is too high, missed the landing tried to pull the plane up with full throttle boom, dead stick again, I noticed that gas was dripping right after I filled up the tank, but after a while it stopped so I had no reason to suspect any tank leaks, but anyway, I had not been able to gain up much height on dead stick, this time the prop broke, rudder hinge came off, tail wheel broke and hanging off the rudder's coat.

Thank God! damage is minor, and I saw the fuel tank was empty too, I'm gonna look for any sorta tank leak, and I'd try to see why I can't get to set up the idle on it, sometimes EPA and sub-trim of throttle don't do anything good. Half throttle does not really sound like a half throttle. I've never heard anything bad about DLE20 and I don't have money at the moment to replace the carb or ignition and get me RCXel's ignition. I'm kinda growing fed up of DLE20. One of the guy who comes to our flying area, which is a retention pond, great place to fly, he is known to be very good at setting up the motors to be perfect. The guy he comes with, he called him up and told him about my motor issue to take care of him. Well, honestly speaking, I'm gonna give it another try, I'd be able to repair my plane hopefully this week and coming this baby is gonna be up in the air or I'd seek some other option.

At Value Hobby I have seen a good motor SV-26

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...as-engine.html

Probably I'd buy that motor and sell my DLE20, my DLE20 is fairly new and it's just gone through I think 10 to 12 tanks of fuel not even 1 gallon.

That's my predicament, and it's not let me gonna go down. One more thing, I'm tired of breaking props with this, already two Xoar props have bitten the dust, and I'm also thinking to buy a 16X8 MAS which is less than $10 and save some money, cos I hate breaking this $16 prop.

What do you guys say?

Thanks

Mody
Old 02-25-2013, 02:16 PM
757jonp
My Feedback: (48)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you've got it tuned right. From the way I see it you're bucking up against that rotten timing curve and that's what causing it to fail to idle down properly. Betcha ya a dollar it'll transition from idle to full and back to idle just fine on the ground? But in the air it won't and you wind up overshooting the runway.....

I had the same problem way back until I understood what was going on.

As for the full throttle thing, don't worry about that. These little pesky engines are usually at full throttle at only 1/2 to 3/4 open on the throttle plate. That's normal.

I'm rather irritated at DLE for supplying an ignition that acts like this one does. I cured mine by replacing it with one off a 50cc (#1) and it runs fine now, but I shouldn't have had to do that.

Be nice if they supplied a muffler with the dang thing too while they're at it. That's another issue with me. Getting tired of the racket.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:16 PM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Armody, If the 2nd half of travel of the carb throttle arm doesn't give any significant rpm increase, WHY USE IT? Set servo (full throw) to operate just the 1st half of carb throttle. I believe it's Hobby King that has the RcExl ignition for around $30, which for you may make all the difference in setting up the idle. By all means use a cheaper prop until your satisfied with the running of your engine. Hope you stik with the DLE as I believe it to be a better engine.

T-man49
Old 02-25-2013, 03:47 PM
nikonlarry

I have a DLE 20cc that doesn't seem to run as good as others I have had.

I have used this engine on a couple of different planes and have not kept track of the number of tanks I have run through it. My problem is about the same as others. High idle and you have reduce the throttle back to idle way before the landing to make sure it will be low by the time you get to the strip.

I have replace the carburetor and the ignition. The ignition was a 3# ModelA-02 8.4V Date 4/21/12 and I don't think I had the throttle curve that people seem to see in the #4. I did replace it with a Rcexl and no change. I also use a NGK spark plug. Thirty to one gas to oil mix and a good quality syntactic oil.

The Low speed adjustment is open about 1/8 turn more than the 1.1 turns that DLE recommends. The high speed adjustment is about 1/8 turn more than the 1.5 turns that DLE recommends.

The engine seems to load up a little and there is gas/oil residue on the plane after a flight. I tried to lean the low speed and it had a hard time accelerating from idle to full throttle. I tried to lean the high speed and I had one dead stick landing. So for now I think it is tuned as best as it can be.

It takes a long time to idle down and when it does, it will eventually die. The engine might run a little better as I run more gas through it.

I clean the engine out just before taking the plane off the stand. Then it idles a little high so the flip the switch that has an idle down programmed in it. Before landing it I go full throttle to clean it out and flip the switch to take the idle down.

I also have a kill switch on the radio just in case.

So I don't know what else to do except see if will do better after it has more hours on it. If you have any ideas please comment. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:16 PM
skyriter

I have seen in some past sections of this thread, that you should run the low end a little rich. This helps in the idle coming down and may help you in dead stick when you try and throttle up on overshoot. I have this engine with ign #4 and have the initial idle set at somewhat below 1800. I don't have any issue. Yes it does take some time to idle down, but not that long.

Bruce
Old 02-25-2013, 04:43 PM
757jonp
My Feedback: (48)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that some folks tend to run the low end on the rich side to aid in getting the desired throttle response. I tried that and it does work to some extent, but then the quality of the idle is lost and my plug was getting fouled.... not the best workaround IMHO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.