Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Katana 50 by Hangar 9

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Katana 50 by Hangar 9

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:36 AM
Jaybird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Katana 50 by Hangar 9

Just picked one up at myLHS for $110. I plan to install an ASP 61 2-stroke I already have so that I can fly it in the winter time in Maine. I have a Saito 82 four stroke, but it doesn't start as well in the cold and even though I've done the recommended after run maintenance I've had to replace bearings before. I have all the servos already and the radio equipment along with the spinner. I will buy a larger capacity receiver pack for it, but other than that it's ready to build after I finish up a couple of other projects.

Jaybird
Old 02-21-2013, 10:26 PM
blackjackcat

I havent had to much luck with Hanger 9 arf planes. I had a Giles 202 and something always didn't have enough glue on it from the factory. I havent bought another hanger 9 planes since that one.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:47 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a nice ARF, I have one I won in a funfly last fall. Still in the box, but IMHO it has high quality. My only other H9 is a Toledo Special, again very high quality, so my personal experience and based on the many I see at the field is good. I think this Katana will be great with one of the engines I have laying around like either the Saito 82, or OS 81 or OS 91 fourstrokers. BTW I think Horizon Hobby had the plane for $99.99 but it is out of stock now. Jon
Old 02-22-2013, 09:11 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: blackjackcat

I havent had to much luck with Hanger 9 arf planes. I had a Giles 202 and something always didn't have enough glue on it from the factory. I havent bought another hanger 9 planes since that one.
Poor 1st post all around for sure
Old 02-23-2013, 06:39 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: maukaonyx

BTW I think Horizon Hobby had the plane for $99.99 but it is out of stock now. Jon
Sure enough; looks like another one bites the dust (is discontinued). Too bad, this is a very nice model. Wish I would have snagged one at a hundred bucks; that's a hell of a deal.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:44 PM
pcnewman

Videos?
I just got one and a Magnum 91 FS.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:58 AM
Jaybird

Took my unassembled kit to the Owls Head Transportation Museum Mid-Coast Model festival last weekend to work on it as a demonstration. I actually didn't get a lot of work done as I did a lot of talking to the public and other modelers who were there. The modelers were rather jealous that I was getting work done on a project while they were just sitting behind their planes on display! I had my Great Planes "Slot Machine" with me and enlarged the pre-cut CA hinge slots to accept DU-BRO nylon pinned hinges. I was able to get the wing extensions glued on and mounted an aftermarket tailwheel assembly in place of the included wire tailwheel. This required cutting the covering to access the open bay at the base of the rudder and to make a plate for the blind nuts. I did have it "together" and on it's feet by the end of the second day.

Still debating mounting my Saito 80 or 91 four stroke.

Here are two very short videos from the event.

http://youtu.be/X2w8lTfg-08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i0QEMRJ2QU

Jaybird
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54867.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1867501  
Old 03-29-2013, 04:30 AM
LSP972

Use the 91, Jay. You'll appreciate the extra power. Mine with a 91 Surpass is perfect for my flying style, but would not have enough power- i.e., that "unlimited vertical" that 3F proponents crave so- for hovering, etc. I have a Saito 82 on a Saratoga, which is a smaller, slightly lighter model than the Katana. Judging from that, I would say a Saito 80 will fly the Katana fine, but you would lacking power in any sort of extended vertical manuever, such as a large loop, etc.

This airplane has become my favorite. It flies like a bigger model, without the transportation hassle/fuel costs of that larger airplane. I managed to find another one NIB, and it will keep nicely until I need it.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:29 AM
Jaybird

LSP,

Thanks for the feedback. I was working on it last night and thinking, boy this airframe is so light that the 91 would be way more than it needs. Then this morning on the way to work I was thinking, boy it would be a lot of fun to have a plane this size with a lot more power than it needs! So, the 91 it will be! I hope to get another plane test flown this weekend and do some work on this one as well if the weather cooperates. We're into "mud season" up here and although the flying fields are okay, the access roads can be pretty treacherous.

Jaybird
Old 04-09-2013, 12:49 PM
Jaybird

Slowly making progress. It always takes me a lot longer to build an ARF than advertised, mostly because I keep changing things! I used Du-Bro 2mm ball clevises in place of the nylon kit supplied ones. I had originally picked them up just to replace the nylon snap clevises but saw that the kit ball clevises had a lot of slop side-to-side, so I used the Du-Bro on both ends. I had 2-56 pull-pull clevises on hand and used them at the ruder servo and at the rudder control horns. I used the kit supplied heavy gauge wire though and that worked well and fit the threaded couplers. I had already swapped out nylon pin hinges for the CA ones. I also added an aftermarket tailwheel assembly instead of the included wire one. The wheel pants are held on with 4-40 socket head screws and blind nuts inside instead of just the included wood screw. I also swapped out the foam wheels for Du-Bro rubber ones I had on hand.

The Saito 91 is mounted and the throttle servo is hooked up. The engine was wider than the templates so I had to transfer the hole locations by hand. The cowl is cut to fit around the valve covers and has a large exit in the bottom for cooling. I'm thinking of maybe adding a baffle to the side opposite the cylinder head. Next is to finish up the wings and mount the tank. After that I can check the CG and mount my receiver pack to help balance it hopefully without adding dead weight. Not sure when the maiden will be due to weather and schedule.

Jaybird
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18527.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	1870323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28268.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1870324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31679.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1870325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52008.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1870326  
Old 04-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Jaybird

I did a quick CG check and with the tank installed and the 2100 mAh receiver battery pack just in front of it behind the engine mount it was just a tad tail heavy. Adding a brass jam nut to the propeller hub brought it just about right. It may take another small amount of lead to bring it right to 4.5" back but I can certainly close up the tail now and finish up the receiver mounting plate.

I'm not really thrilled with the nylon thumb screw wing bolts, but it just may be I don't have any other planes assembled this way. I haven't heard anyone else having trouble with them so I'll use them as supplied.

Still cold and rainy up here.

Jaybird
Old 04-14-2013, 11:20 AM
LSP972

I wasn't happy with the supplied wing "bolts" either. I use 1/4x20 nylon bolts all the time, but these are 4mm and a bit flimsy; I replaced them with steel 4mm bolts.

My engine mount (mount to firewall) bolts keep coming loose. They were thoroughly degreased and Loc-Tited initially, then again after the first five flights when they had worked loose.

Now, after 15 flights, they're loose again. Not good. I need to figure out what the deal is and fix it. My first inclination is to use ny-lock back-up nuts inside the firewall, but there may not be room for that. I'll have to get inside the thing to see.

Whatever work is required here will be worth it; this has become my favorite model. It flies fantastically.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:07 PM
mazjag

Just bought my second one of these..The first crashed with a radio problem...Mine had a Saito 82 on it to start...It flys ok with that, but struggles to pull out of a hover..I later put a Saito 100 in it...That was the ticket..I took some weight out of mine with some graph tech carbon fiber gear and you can use a smaller fuel tank as well. On my new one I`m gonna go over the glue joints with some CA and hit the firewall with some epoxy..I would put some lock nuts on back of the motor mount blind nuts as they seem to come loose even with lock tight..This is a glow/electric airframe and built quite light for a Saito..It shakes the hell out of it. I don`t think you`ll have a problem with the wing bolts as the load is not that way.love the plane and glad I picked up another at a cheap price...sweet looking as well...
Old 04-17-2013, 05:26 AM
Jaybird

I picked up some longer 4mm x 25 mm bolts and nylon lock nuts for the motor mount to firewall attachemnt. I also picked up a brass 7mm lock nut for the prop hub as the one I had was made from a brass spinner hub and was too thick to allow the back plate, prop, jam nut and spinner nut on the short Saito shaft. I'm not ready to remove the engine and mount and epoxy the firewall and engine mount area. I plan to use fuelproof sparypaint on the inside to make sure it doesn't get fuel soaked. it might be ready for the weekend.

Jaybird
Old 04-20-2013, 07:58 AM
MThemadhatter

Hi,

I have a Funtana X50 with a saito91 in it, and the airframe is starting to fall apart

I am looking at the Katana as a replacement, but it looks like this needs mini servo's for the elevators. Has any one fitted standards size servos instead ? I have some hitec 5945 that I would like to use.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:35 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Before you go messing with Servos, I'd start looking for a Katana 50 really fast. H9 has dropped the line and all the LHS's were selling them for $100. I don't think that you will find one unless you happen to have one in hand.

Bob
Old 04-20-2013, 01:47 PM
MThemadhatter

I am looking at one on offer online now can only really afford at the sale price and I have no money for new servos

Any particular reason hanger 9 have dropped it ?
Old 04-20-2013, 02:41 PM
N1EDM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Hatter,

I don't have any idea why the Katana 50 was dropped other than it might have been in the Inventory for a while and had run its course and sales were dropping. I'm in the midst of building my first one and I like what I see so far, for the most part. I wish I had had the foresight to order up a 2nd one but I'm literally running out of storage space in my basement, er, workshop.

I looked at the elevator servo openings in the fuselage. Yes, you can cut them out to fit standard servos but you will not have a lot of frame left. I would suggest a reinforcement if you happen to go that way.

Bob
Old 04-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Jaybird

I ran the Saito 91 in the back yard today to test out the throttle control and fuel system. It was very windy and blustery after a rain storm duirng the night and morning so it wasn't a good test flight day. I'm having some trouble getting a reliable idle which has been a problem before with this particular engine. I'll keep adjusting the idle screw and see if I can get it to smooth out. After a couple of seconds of smooth idle it starts to slow and bangs a few times and if I don't rev it up it will eventually quit. It would die right off when I first started working with it and it got better as I leaned the idle mixture. I ran out of time before I got it complete.

Hopefully tommorrow will present a chance to try again but it looks cold and windy again.

Jaybird
Old 04-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Jaybird

Well, the wind was gusty as predicted, so I took the plane up to the field on Sunday to do some more engine tuning without annoying my neighbors. I worked on it for close to an hour and got it running a little better, but the idle is still unreliable. The winds died down enough to get one test flight in and all went well. A couple clicks of up trim and right aileron had it flying straight and level. The landing went fine, but the engine did quit on rollout so I went back to the starting table. I worked on it some more but couldn't get it any better. This engine has always been a problem so when I got home I decided to swap engines with another Saito 91 and send this one in for service.

Fun plane and very responsive. I look forward to exploring it more.

Jay
Old 04-22-2013, 02:24 PM
MThemadhatter

Well I have taken the plunge one of these on its way to me

I am looking at either spektrum A5040 or A5030 for the elevators

For power I am trying to decide between

My Saito 91

Or Electric 6s with Emax GT4020 620Kv, 14x7 prop and an 80amp esc which I have spare.

Any thought's on this set up , I was thinking of a similar size motor at 420Kv and a 15x10 prop

Any thoughts on these set ups ?
Old 04-23-2013, 12:19 PM
wyo69cowboy

I am currently flying an Extreme Flight 60" Extra on a similar setup: Value Hobby 50-55 600kv on 6S with a 14x7 APC prop. It pulls about 75A/1600W+ and is very "lively" The EF plane is probably a good pound lighter; you might like the lower kv motor/bigger prop for more prop disc area and thrust with the heavier plane.

I have also been using the Spektrum A5040's in that plane; it has a single one on the elevator, and am also using them for the rudder and ailerons. I previously used 2 of the 5040's on a dual elevator setup on my Great Planes 60 sized Reactor bipe, and liked them much better than the Hitec 225mg's that were on it before...
Old 04-23-2013, 01:53 PM
MThemadhatter

Thanks for the reply

I am leaning heavily towards the electric route, less hassle at the field and no fuel proofing worries. I have bought a couple of A5040's for the elevator.

For the aileron and rudder I have the choice of either some Hitec5945's left over from my wrecked 30cc Sbach (in a funtana ATM lol) or some Hitec 5485HD's which are a fair bit lighter and should be ok for a small plane like this ?

Motor wise I am looking at either

[link=http://www.giantshark.co.uk/xyh5055-400kv-brushless-outrunner-p-403284.html]EMP 5055-400[/link]

Or

[link=http://www.giantshark.co.uk/epower-gt4030-420kv-380g-brushless-motor-p-405978.html]E-Max GT4030-420[/link]

Both on 6cell with a 16x8 or 16x10 prop according to motor calc this gives 60A current draw at WOT

Or go the same as you have above. What size battery are you using and what sort of duration do you get ?
Old 04-25-2013, 01:15 PM
wyo69cowboy

I actually wanted a 5055 sized motor in the 400kv range, but couldn't find any at the time. That EMP might work pretty well on a 16x8 or so on 6S. I use 3300mah packs, and set my timer for 6 minutes. I also have a couple 4000mah 6S packs, and they do extend the time by about 45sec-1 minute. Let us know what you decide[8D]
Old 04-25-2013, 03:37 PM
MThemadhatter

That is good to know

The Emax motor has slightly more torque and consequently spins the prop a little faster

On a 16x8 the figures are 64A 193 Watts per pound in for the Emax and 54A 170 watts per pound for the EMP. The Emax motor is about 100g heavier.

Now watching the price of 4500mAh batteries on HK, they have gone up a bit in the last few days []

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.