Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 05:02 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Mody - to avoid prop breakage go with APC props. What I've heard and seen of MAS they're not very efficient.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:04 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The comment regarding being rich and conscious of your idle speed is spot on. If you have your idle set on the high side you're about guaranteed to run into the ign. module's timing curve. 1800 is a good number. Any higher might/might not be. If you're lean, it's going to take the engine a minute to cool off enough to slow down. It'll fly great like that if you want to deal with it like that, or you can try to fix it by going a hair richer until that stops.

This is not a V-8. It is not going to run right if you're trying to set it up for a smooth idle. You'll be lean EVERY time! The idle on any 2 stroke should be kinda unsteady, a little lumpy - rich! Your chain saw, your weed eater, your blower? Same thing. They don't work worth a darn with a smooth idle either...

If you're worried about exhaust residue getting on your plane, the electrics may be a better plan?

They don't "load up" on idle either. At least I've never seen one do it? I suppose you could take that to an extreme and accomplish that if that were your intent though. If it's slows down and quits you probably should raise the idle speed up a bit?

Mody, I've mentioned several times that when you get tired of breaking your wood props the APC 17x6 works great. Now you have microdon2, another guy with a ton of DLE 20 experience, saying the same thing. If you're dead set against them, go MAS if you like, but know ahead of time you'll be leaving performance on the table with the MAS move....

The dead stick thing. If your plane was on the bench, you added full throttle from an idle, and the engine stumbled or quit, what would you do? You would go richer right? To get the engine to transition right? The problem you are describing, dead stick after accelerating (to go around while on final), is the exact same issue. The engine isn't transitioning right. It's lean. Going to some off the wall engine isn't going to change the fact that the engine needs to be tuned properly if it's going to fly right.

Here's something to consider while you're getting used to setting one of these up. Repair parts are expensive when one of these things quits on you. RARELY will an engine quit if it's rich. When in doubt, go rich first...... It may not make it right, but it will bring you home in one piece....
Old 02-25-2013, 08:08 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

757jomp, triumphman49,microdon, ahicks,

Thank you very much guys for your great input. I do respect your feedback cos you guys have experience and I'm learning the ropes, may be down the road, I'd myself be advising Gasser noobs like me. I'm not going to use MAS at all. I'd start using APC 17X6 and of course would balance it as well. I have one balanced Xoar 17X6 which had already been mounted on the plane, I'd use probably put it away and I have another brand new Xoar 17X6, I'd return it to my LHS guy and get me the APC 17X6, I don't think I'd go 16X8 on APC as I don't want it to be flying at higher speed.

I did notice one thing that on the ground the idle turned was around 1,600 which didn't seem to me little proper, I'd like it to be at least 1,800 and I did notice that it seemed lil lean as I think I did lean it out when the idle was not getting down to low speed as I would have wanted.

I'm not gonna give up on DLE20, and I'm gonna try to tune it back again. At the moment, I'm not planning to replace the ignition module to RCXEL. Once again I'd turn the LSN all the way to close position and open it to 1/8 to 2 turn if that's OK? HSN seems to be working good. At the moment, I'm sitting at the hospital with my wife got heart issues. She's got two stents in 2009 and double bypass surgery in 2012 and still she has some chest pains.Thank GOD her angiogram turned out to be good. Hopefully this issue would be taken care of tomorrow after Gastric doctor would thoroughly look at the her scan and some other tests.

Anyway, hopefully as soon as I get back home which most likely tomorrow as it's my second night at the hospital which I'm gonna spend by her side, I'd get back to start working/repairing on my Yak 54. This is nitro plane's model and though construction is flimsy but with proper running of motor, this plane is gonna last a long time and cos of engine I don't wanna lose this plane. I already got me Seagull model's MXS-R and got me XYZ 20cc motor for it all set and servos have been ordered as well. I love this Yak it flies very stable and very good.

Guys you are respectable for me, and I'd follow your instructions and try to get benefited outta your experiences. Temp has dropped to lower 50's here and wind are fierce I think around 40mph +. Sunday is gonna be a great flying day and before then, my plane would be ready to get up in the air and I'd make sure to turn LSN on rich side. I hope this time it's gonna work fine.

BTW, I have been advised by one of the user here to use throttle curve, I don't use it and I don't know how to set up the throttle curve on Hitec Aurora 9 2.4GHz. Does anyone have idea of it?

Thanks

Mody
Old 02-26-2013, 03:14 AM
sandyjain

Hey don't get disheartened with the DLE20. It is a great engine. Some tips I can offer:

1. Use Throttle expo to get full range of engine wrt throttle stick. Go to Expo, chose Throttle (Ch. 3) and make it -ve expo of 50-70%. How I chose this value it to get 50% RPM (4500) at mid stick. The amount of expo will depend upon your mechanical expo - position of servo arm at idle. Initially the servo and so the butterfly should move less and later - beyond mid stick it should move rapidly. This will also give you better throttle control - low side - for making approaches and landing. And the above applies to all gas engines not just DLE20

2. Both LSN and HSN affect WOT - max RPM. However transition is mostly affected by LSN. How I tune my engines. Start with factory default setting for the needles 1.5 for both. Go to Full throttle and tune with HSN to get max. RPM - Final setting to be richened for drop of 300 RPM or so from Max. Now start Reducing throttle stick say 10% each time. Check for 4 stroking/ gurgling and lean out LSN to remove it. Repeat this till idle. Now check for transition - with jerks. If missing or sputter - richen the LSN a tad. You should have a fairly well tuned engine by now. This process is same for all Gas engines with Walbro carbs. I set my idle at 1700 and WOT at 8600 with an APC 17x6.

3. The "slow return to idle" issue of the DLE CDi #4 is a ***** indeed BUT if the EXPO and Tuning has been done as above - its effect is greatly reduced. Most DLE20 users on our field have gone thru above procedures and are now satisfied. I have 3 of my own and am a very happy owner of the DLE20.

Cheers....

ORIGINAL: armody

Hello Guys,

Here is the update of last Saturday's flying and the day was beautiful, wind had been all day under 7Mph. I couldn't have asked for more. Here is the update of the flying and it contains many questions which I'd like to know the answer of.

I have changed the fuel from synthetic to non-synthetic Pennzoil Air-cooled oil. I have gotten the Z bend removed from the throttle link and had the ball link installed on it. Changed the throttle push rod and had the cable installed on it. Also installed the bigger servo arm which travels wider and better, provides an awesome leverage for throttle.

First flight was good somehow, on full throttle plane did sputter few times but flew OK. On half throttle I still felt it was flying full throttle, the retardation from full to half-throttle didn't change the sound or rpm of the motor at all, it was up in the air, that's what I felt. Idle had been OK.

Second flight I changed the setting of HSN, I got good RPM but somehow idle was very high rather taking up 10 seconds to get down to normal idle motor took around 20+ seconds to get down to normal idle higher idle. I flew the plane after that, and landing got the same issue, idle speed is so high, many time I over shot the landing area but as soon as I tried to pull the plane up, pushed full throttle boom a dead stick, I recovered the plane pretty well, flight time would have been 14 minutes, slight issue landing gear but recovered well.

3rd and last flight, idle was not set, I felt all the time that if somehow HSN is set, and I'm getting the right RPM and I noticed I was getting 8,200 to 8,400 on Xoar 17X6. I flew the plane, giving me good vertical and after 12 minutes I wanted to land the plane, there again idle is too high, missed the landing tried to pull the plane up with full throttle boom, dead stick again, I noticed that gas was dripping right after I filled up the tank, but after a while it stopped so I had no reason to suspect any tank leaks, but anyway, I had not been able to gain up much height on dead stick, this time the prop broke, rudder hinge came off, tail wheel broke and hanging off the rudder's coat.

Thank God! damage is minor, and I saw the fuel tank was empty too, I'm gonna look for any sorta tank leak, and I'd try to see why I can't get to set up the idle on it, sometimes EPA and sub-trim of throttle don't do anything good. Half throttle does not really sound like a half throttle. I've never heard anything bad about DLE20 and I don't have money at the moment to replace the carb or ignition and get me RCXel's ignition. I'm kinda growing fed up of DLE20. One of the guy who comes to our flying area, which is a retention pond, great place to fly, he is known to be very good at setting up the motors to be perfect. The guy he comes with, he called him up and told him about my motor issue to take care of him. Well, honestly speaking, I'm gonna give it another try, I'd be able to repair my plane hopefully this week and coming this baby is gonna be up in the air or I'd seek some other option.

At Value Hobby I have seen a good motor SV-26

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...as-engine.html

Probably I'd buy that motor and sell my DLE20, my DLE20 is fairly new and it's just gone through I think 10 to 12 tanks of fuel not even 1 gallon.

That's my predicament, and it's not let me gonna go down. One more thing, I'm tired of breaking props with this, already two Xoar props have bitten the dust, and I'm also thinking to buy a 16X8 MAS which is less than $10 and save some money, cos I hate breaking this $16 prop.

What do you guys say?

Thanks

Mody
Old 02-26-2013, 06:36 AM
coronabob

ORIGINAL: microdon2

Mody - to avoid prop breakage go with APC props. What I've heard and seen of MAS they're not very efficient.
Yes, I agree. APC 17x6 is the ticket. Wear a welder's glove to start the engine - any engine.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:08 AM
armody

[quote]ORIGINAL: sandyjain

2. Both LSN and HSN affect WOT - max RPM. However transition is mostly affected by LSN. How I tune my engines. Start with factory default setting for the needles 1.5 for both. Go to Full throttle and tune with HSN to get max. RPM - Final setting to be richened for drop of 300 RPM or so from Max. Now start Reducing throttle stick say 10% each time. Check for 4 stroking/ gurgling and lean out LSN to remove it. Repeat this till idle. Now check for transition - with jerks. If missing or sputter - richen the LSN a tad. You should have a fairly well tuned engine by now. This process is same for all Gas engines with Walbro carbs. I set my idle at 1700 and WOT at 8600 with an APC 17x6.

What you are saying is that I have to set up both LSN and HSN on 1.5 with the factory's default settings, then go to full-throttle. As you said final setting to be rich for a drop of 300 rpm or so from Max, I didn't understand that part. In my understanding while it's running full-throttle, I need to tweak the HSN where I'd know that it's running on max rpm naturally sound of the motor tells you that. After attaining max. rpm, now retarding the throttle speed by 10% and start tweaking with LSN? And continue to process until it gets pulled down all the way to idle? then check the transition from idle to full?

Have I understood it correctly or not, let me know. Thanks

coronabob, Yes I'm gonna use APC 17X6 prop now. I hope it turns out to be something better. Never had problems with APC props while I was using glow.

Thanks

Mody

Old 02-26-2013, 08:52 AM
armody

Sorry it all turned into a "quote" lol

What you are saying is that I have to set up both LSN and HSN on 1.5 with the factory's default settings, then go to full-throttle. As you said final setting to be rich for a drop of 300 rpm or so from Max, I didn't understand that part. In my understanding while it's running full-throttle, I need to tweak the HSN where I'd know that it's running on max rpm naturally sound of the motor tells you that. After attaining max. rpm, now retarding the throttle speed by 10% and start tweaking with LSN? And continue to process until it gets pulled down all the way to idle? then check the transition from idle to full?

Have I understood it correctly or not, let me know. Thanks

coronabob, Yes I'm gonna use APC 17X6 prop now. I hope it turns out to be something better. Never had problems with APC props while I was using glow.

Thanks

Mody
Old 02-26-2013, 09:47 AM
wjcalhoun

Mody
Once you are happy with the tune, both HSN and LSN, and you have set your EPA so that there is no binding on either end, open or closed, you can somewhat linearize the throttle response by using expo.

If you have Futaba, it will be negative expo. I'll often run -70 or -80% expo on my throttle (Futaba 8FG). As you know, there is a VERY non-linear relationship between throttle butterfly angle and RPM. Most of the increase in RPM comes in the first 30-40* of butterfly movement. Engine gurus may correct me on the specific number, but clearly that last have of throttle butterfly movement does almost nothing to your RPM.

Expo will reduce butterfly movement, relative to throttle stick movement, at the low end, where you need it.

Might help.

Bill
Old 02-26-2013, 10:15 AM
armody

Hello Bill,

I do not know when the happy moment of my life would come with DLE20, I'm gonna follow the suggestions/advices as a lot of well-experienced guys have posted here. I do not use Futaba, I'm using Hitec's Aurora 9. I'd try to use the expo on my throttle. And butterfly is the plate on the throttle arm rod inside the carb which opens and shuts?

I'd gotta take a look at it when I get back home from the hospital.

Thanks

Mody
Old 02-26-2013, 11:28 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hello Bill,

I do not know when the happy moment of my life would come with DLE20, I'm gonna follow the suggestions/advices as a lot of well-experienced guys have posted here. I do not use Futaba, I'm using Hitec's Aurora 9. I'd try to use the expo on my throttle. And butterfly is the plate on the throttle arm rod inside the carb which opens and shuts?

I'd gotta take a look at it when I get back home from the hospital.

Thanks

Mody
The Hitec A9 has a throttle curve function and it works great. Also, I am running a 16-8 Xoar prop on my warbird and it loves this prop.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:43 AM
armody

vertical grimmace,

Yes you are right, I have seen the throttle curve on my Hitec Aurora 9. What %age do I have to use on the control? I'd probably have to figure it out. I'm now tired of breaking the Xoar 17X6 beechwood props due to the dead stick issues. I'm gonna switch to APC's 17X6 at least these prop would snap in a heart beat as Xoar beechwoods are right off the bat!

Thanks

Mody
Old 02-26-2013, 12:01 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

wjc - boy was my face red when I finally realized that Expo on a Futaba radio should be NEGATIVE.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:10 PM
armody

Hitec Aurora 9 has both Expo and throttle curve. Which is better to use Expo or Throttle curve? I'd personally like to go with throttle curve.

What do you guys usually use on your radios regardless of manufacturer brand throttle curve or expo?
Old 02-26-2013, 01:09 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The nice thing on the throttle curve is you can set the amount of throttle at a certain point of the curve or stick movement. I think there are like 5 points in the graph. I cannot give you specifics, you have to work it out on your own. I am sure your geometry is different than mine from servo, horn, linkage, etc.

Interesting, I have never had a deadstick with mine. Have to say mine has run perfectly every time, other than when I doinked the plug cap and had to replace it.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

I use an Aurora 9 , the throttle curve works great , and very easy to set . And it has a 7 point curve , one on each end , and 5 between the end points . Once you know how to use it ,............................ you,ll never look back .

Michel
Old 02-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Hitec Aurora 9 has both Expo and throttle curve. Which is better to use Expo or Throttle curve? I'd personally like to go with throttle curve.

What do you guys usually use on your radios regardless of manufacturer brand throttle curve or expo?
I would only use expo on throttle if I didn't have a dedicated throttle curve available in the radio.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:00 PM
nikonlarry

I am running a Xoar 16x6 prop on my AeroWorks ProX Extra 260 with the DLE 20cc. So far it works well as I try to learn 3d flying.

I have my radio setup as follows: 

Gear switch and channel for a receiver operated kill switch

Aileron, rudder, and elevator setup with dual rates and channeled to the flight mode switch for three rates. Mode 3 for taking off and landing and just flying around. Mode 2 for a little more aggressive flying and set to AeroWorks sport mode and Mode 3 full 3D mode which I am working up to.

Three position switch set for throttle curve. 0 and 1 for normal use with two different curves and curve 3 for idle down. The 3rd has the throttle set lower than the other two and used when landing if the plane is coming in a little hot. I am still playing with the curves for 0 and 1. I agree that with others that about 50% stick should be around 50 engine RPM. I should end up with a very gentle curve in the low end.

Throttle cut is inhibited. 
Old 02-26-2013, 05:37 PM
ahicks

So to add some variety, my Aurora 9 is not using expo or a throttle curve (though as a sometimes heli flyer, I understand the concept very well). I have mine set up using a ton of differential in a mechanical setup. Once you have that figured out there's generally no need to do anything but set the idle electronically.

Mechanical setup may be old school, dunno, but it's a very effective option to take care of this problem easily and quickly.

Diagram illustrating the differential is in the gas newbie section, post #22 down near the bottom.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8673009/tm.htm
Old 02-26-2013, 05:41 PM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 to that.

Mody, Hoping your wifes' condition improves very soon.

T-man49 in Al
Old 02-27-2013, 10:32 AM
armody

triumphman,

Thank you very much for your best wishes.

One more thing I realized and I'm not ashamed of admitting it. I realized that I was tuning up my DLE20 completely adverse. While it was on WOT I was trying to tweak LSN where as I should be using HSN and other way around. Left side or the first one is LSN and right is HSN, I remembered that but I don't know what happened to me at the field, I kinda messed up or frustrated there at the moment. Now, I'm gonna fix up my Yak and I'm sure I'd be able to tune it up pretty well and I have seen some good videos on youtube regarding the DLE20 tune up. Hope this is gonna work good.

Thanks

Mody
Old 03-08-2013, 08:50 AM
repinfl
My Feedback: (40)

Is everyone running there DLE20 on 32:1? A lot of the new oil's "claim" 50:1 is the way to go. Stihl gave me a longer warranty on my new chainsaw if I used their HP Ultra oil 50:1 in the saw!
I am using the HP Ultra in my five DLE's but still at 32:1.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:56 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My buddy got a new DLE 20 V2 and put it in a TF P-40.....and it does NOT have that 'let's wait a few minutes for the engine to slow down to idle" syndrome
Old 03-08-2013, 09:37 AM
ahicks

ORIGINAL: repinfl

Is everyone running there DLE20 on 32:1? A lot of the new oil's ''claim'' 50:1 is the way to go. Stihl gave me a longer warranty on my new chainsaw if I used their HP Ultra oil 50:1 in the saw!
I am using the HP Ultra in my five DLE's but still at 32:1.

Yes, pretty much everyone running 32:1

These little guys really struggle with their rod bearings compared to the bigger engines. 32:1 give you a little insurance in that regard?
Old 03-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Plus 1 on 32-1. Oil is cheap and engines are expensive. The power gain from running less oil is just about unmeasurable, and compared to glow fuel with 18 to 20 percent oil content, 4% oil is not an issue. Now, go outside and fly.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:43 PM
bgw45

ORIGINAL: Lifer

Plus 1 on 32-1. Oil is cheap and engines are expensive. The power gain from running less oil is just about unmeasurable, and compared to glow fuel with 18 to 20 percent oil content, 4% oil is not an issue. Now, go outside and fly.
++ Since more oil ( up to a point ) results in more heat being carried away you get another benefit. I run the same in my 55cc stuff. I do still have to clean up a bit, but the hope is my engines will last longer. We shall see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.