Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

why is nitro hated by some???

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:55 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: why is nitro hated by some???

Hey...we all know that Electrics Suck.......Amps........
Old 02-25-2013, 09:29 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol and nitro blows...........................exhaust........
Old 02-25-2013, 11:22 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like both, nitro for 1/8 and electric for anything smaller.

electric people can't say nitro is slow either, a properly tuned nitro is as fast or even fastr than many things running on 2s (especially touring cars)... sure you can get stupid speeds but those cars are running 3,4 even 6 cell.

those who hate one or the other either dont understand it or feel what ever they own is better than the other.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:23 AM
phmaximus

nitro is slow.... sorry buddy []

easy way to tell, compare a 0.12ci engine to a 35a ezrun combo 3900kv on 2s.

points for brushless combo
more powerfull
lighter
linear torque curve
Higher RPM
longer run times
cheaper outright
cheaper over time
less noise
less messy
no putred smell
does not collect dirt
less maintance
no tuning required
more tuning options (nitro only has 3 LSN, HSN, and idel, hobby wing program card has 10 different settings)
electronic fully adjustable brakes
litterally plug and play
great for slow speed crawlers
no clutch
no mechanical links
no throttle servo
dont need to carry a highly flamable liquid
nothing sticking out the body that can cause injurys and burns
does not need to be started and wont stall
no servicable parts that need constant replacing
eaiser to learn
more forgiving for noobs
clean power
yep i think thats enough points for now yeah?

I would put any touring car with a brushless combo 2s or 3s depending on gearing options up against any 0.12 or 0.15ci touring car... even including the vintage tamiya electric touring cars.
A old vintage tamiya tl01 with a 3900kv on 3s will smash any nitro car in speed and acceleration and would cost under $200 all up

what about the larger nitro motors and big blockes u say, well 4s & 5s lipos take care of them...

then we go into 6s.... absolute nitro killer.....

then when u really want to show off... there are some 1/5 scale ESC and motors that can handle 12s.....nokidding they are good for 20HP..... and u can hold it in ur hand, no way u could easly pick up a 20hp nitro or gas motor

the fastest brushless car is miles a head of the nitro speed run cars....

"those who hate one or the other either dont understand it or feel what ever they own is better than the other"
I respectfully disagree on that 100%.
I have based my preferance on my experances and i sure im not the only one.
what about the guys doing brushless conversions? that kinda kills that logic
or the guys that have been playing around for years with nitro then sell everything for brushless power
I dont think u have to fully understand things to dislike it or even have a preferance
someones preferance is there personal oppinion they dont have to justify it to anyone.

sorry to be anoying..... i can hear the jaws theme song now...its getting louder... im running to hide
Old 02-26-2013, 06:26 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not slow, but yes, slower. As someone who cut his teeth in nitro on road TC racing, I still have to admit that electric mod TC is a much faster discipline, just no comparison.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:34 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have flown nitro electrics and now gas they are all ok i have no problem with any some people just dont know whats good for them
Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't quite get why so many of you people insist on framing the hobby in an "X is better than Y" kind of way, as if it were objectively true, and the point of the hobby were not to have fun doing whatever you want to do, but blindly grasping after some supposed higher rung on an imagined totem pole of toy car superiority. Does everyone seriously need to be reminded that this is a hobby? Just like stamp collecting or basket weaving. Same thing.. Do what you want..

Hating on nitro is stupid. I personally don't care for 2wd 10th scale buggy, or quadricopters, or... well, basket weaving. OK, and?

I love nitro, and so far am having fun with electric on the side as well. Between the two, I prefer nitro because for me it's more exhilerating and realistic. Electric for me is for winter and running in the neighberhood when/where I can't run nitro. But nitro is where the fun is at for me.

To go back to the original question of this thread - it's hated by some because for the most part they were too ...limited to figure out nitro, and so gave up on it with a chip on their shoulder(probably having started with Traxxax junk..) Inept, foolish LSH employees pushing Traxxas stuff, facilitating the stupid mentality of getting the LSH to tune your engine etc.., is also a contributing factor.. Nitro RC is a hobby - not a toy. You have to learn something and develop a feel for it. Some impatient types find that too daunting I guess, so latch on to what they assume is a more instant gratification kind of thing. Surmounting that learning curve is precisely what makes nitro RC so rewarding though. And no it doesn't mean "constant maintenance" or fiddling - it just means learning how something works and mastering it.

Hating nitro is about as sensible as hating basket-weaving or stamp collecting. People will continue to basket-weave, full speed ahead. Same with nitro. Same with electric. Same with helicopters. Same with whatever... If Traxxas brings out fewer nitro RTR junky cars, who cares? For anybody with half a clue in RC, who cares what Traxxas does at all?... And that includes whatever new electrics they bring out..

The funny thing is, all this hating is often directly related to the FALSE idea that electric is plug and play, without a learning curve like nitro.. High performance electric is expensive and there is definitely a learning curve. (Talk of 6s is very disingenuous too, as most 8th scale stuff can't stand up to it...)
Old 02-26-2013, 06:54 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

i agree with you
Old 02-26-2013, 07:03 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

nitro is slow.... sorry buddy []

easy way to tell, compare a 0.12ci engine to a 35a ezrun combo 3900kv on 2s.

points for brushless combo
more powerfull
lighter
linear torque curve
Higher RPM
longer run times
cheaper outright
cheaper over time
less noise
less messy
no putred smell
does not collect dirt
less maintance
no tuning required
more tuning options (nitro only has 3 LSN, HSN, and idel, hobby wing program card has 10 different settings)
electronic fully adjustable brakes
litterally plug and play
great for slow speed crawlers
no clutch
no mechanical links
no throttle servo
dont need to carry a highly flamable liquid
nothing sticking out the body that can cause injurys and burns
does not need to be started and wont stall
no servicable parts that need constant replacing
eaiser to learn
more forgiving for noobs
clean power
yep i think thats enough points for now yeah?

I would put any touring car with a brushless combo 2s or 3s depending on gearing options up against any 0.12 or 0.15ci touring car... even including the vintage tamiya electric touring cars.
A old vintage tamiya tl01 with a 3900kv on 3s will smash any nitro car in speed and acceleration and would cost under $200 all up

what about the larger nitro motors and big blockes u say, well 4s & 5s lipos take care of them...

then we go into 6s.... absolute nitro killer.....

then when u really want to show off... there are some 1/5 scale ESC and motors that can handle 12s.....nokidding they are good for 20HP..... and u can hold it in ur hand, no way u could easly pick up a 20hp nitro or gas motor

the fastest brushless car is miles a head of the nitro speed run cars....

''those who hate one or the other either dont understand it or feel what ever they own is better than the other''
I respectfully disagree on that 100%.
I have based my preferance on my experances and i sure im not the only one.
what about the guys doing brushless conversions? that kinda kills that logic
or the guys that have been playing around for years with nitro then sell everything for brushless power
I dont think u have to fully understand things to dislike it or even have a preferance
someones preferance is there personal oppinion they dont have to justify it to anyone.

sorry to be anoying..... i can hear the jaws theme song now...its getting louder... im running to hide
Oh no, don't start this. This thread just had a heart attack in it's in critical condition. lol. Besides, most comparable setups with that brushless system could have an .18 oh no! we're loosing him!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:06 AM
Foxy

Indeed, brushless at the top end is every bit as unforgiving and 'tricky' to get right as nitro, plus the result of getting it slightly wrong is much more final (smoke at best, flames at worst) than just having a rich tune. I've never been one to say that nitro is more difficult in general, it isn't, but at the bottom end (RTRs), an electric is quite a bit easier than an RTR nitro, as the MFR has done all the thinking for you. Unfortunately, with nitro engines, they can't do the break in and tune for you.

By the way, ph, nitro is usually lighter than a brushless car with its battery on board, and the brakes are also in nitro's favour, with adjustable F/R balance. Apart from that, list is pretty much spot on.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 AM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I don't quite get why so many of you people insist on framing the hobby in an ''X is better than Y'' kind of way, as if it were objectively true, and the point of the hobby were not to have fun doing whatever you want to do, but blindly grasping after some supposed higher rung on an imagined totem pole of toy car superiority. Does everyone seriously need to be reminded that this is a hobby? Just like stamp collecting or basket weaving. Same thing.. Do what you want..

Hating on nitro is stupid. I personally don't care for 2wd 10th scale buggy, or quadricopters, or... well, basket weaving. OK, and?

I love nitro, and so far am having fun with electric on the side as well. Between the two, I prefer nitro because for me it's more exhilerating and realistic. Electric for me is for winter and running in the neighberhood when/where I can't run nitro. But nitro is where the fun is at for me.

To go back to the original question of this thread - it's hated by some because for the most part they were too ...limited to figure out nitro, and so gave up on it with a chip on their shoulder(probably having started with Traxxax junk..) Inept, foolish LSH employees pushing Traxxas stuff, facilitating the stupid mentality of getting the LSH to tune your engine etc.., is also a contributing factor.. Nitro RC is a hobby - not a toy. You have to learn something and develop a feel for it. Some impatient types find that too daunting I guess, so latch on to what they assume is a more instant gratification kind of thing. Surmounting that learning curve is precisely what makes nitro RC so rewarding though. And no it doesn't mean ''constant maintenance'' or fiddling - it just means learning how something works and mastering it.

Hating nitro is about as sensible as hating basket-weaving or stamp collecting. People will continue to basket-weave, full speed ahead. Same with nitro. Same with electric. Same with helicopters. Same with whatever... If Traxxas brings out fewer nitro RTR junky cars, who cares? For anybody with half a clue in RC, who cares what Traxxas does at all?... And that includes whatever new electrics they bring out..

The funny thing is, all this hating is often directly related to the FALSE idea that electric is plug and play, without a learning curve like nitro.. High performance electric is expensive and there is definitely a learning curve. (Talk of 6s is very disingenuous too, as most 8th scale stuff can't stand up to it...)

Exactly, standing ovation! lol. I don't care how many more positives you think there are with one you just can't say it's better, some of the reasons you like "insert power source of choice here" better might be reasons I don't like it. The "best" is very much an opinion not a fact. Why do some people like hotrods better than tuners? I mean they're faster, quieter, more fuel efficient, why not? Are they better? That's an opinion. What's better, chocolate or vanilla? I like vanilla because it doesnt make you thirsty like chocolate does so it's better, Wait a minute.....what's that called? Oh yeah[X(] an opinion not a fact.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:26 AM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: t-max97

Oh no, don't start this. This thread just had a heart attack in it's in critical condition. lol. Besides, most comparable setups with that brushless system could have an .18 oh no! we're loosing him!
lol, i know right. what have I done lol. out of the 30 odd points i made most still stand

I was comparing a 35a ezrun combo to a 0.12ci because I belive both are at the bottom of there respective feilds.
i would problary compare 60a to a 0.18ci motor???? oh dear i havent even thought out the sensored combos.....

this is how i gauge it
25a, 1/18 and smaller, 1/10 Fwd/rwd
35a, 1/10 touring car, 1/10 buggies, 1/10 crawler, 2wd sct and stadium trucks
60a 1/10 MT & 4x4 sct, 1/10 truggies
80a 1/8 buggy, truggy & MT's
100a high speed buggies and truggies (speed runs)
150a light 1/5 scalers

can someone make a list like that but with the respective nitro motors?
then once we have a guide/base line then we compare a bit more fairly

wonder how the nitro rustler compares to a VXL rustler????
and same with the slash????
we all know the E-revos leave the nitro ones for dead
Old 02-26-2013, 07:29 AM
HerrSavage

Not when the E-revo's diff has exploded. Then it's the other way around.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:32 AM
t-max97

lol, i know right. what have I done lol. out of the 30 odd points i made most still stand

I was comparing a 35a ezrun combo to a 0.12ci because I belive both are at the bottom of there respective feilds.
i would problary compare 60a to a 0.18ci motor???? oh dear i havent even thought out the sensored combos.....

this is how i gauge it
25a, 1/18 and smaller, 1/10 Fwd/rwd
35a, 1/10 touring car, 1/10 buggies, 1/10 crawler, 2wd sct and stadium trucks
60a 1/10 MT & 4x4 sct, 1/10 truggies
80a 1/8 buggy, truggy & MT's
100a high speed buggies and truggies (speed runs)
150a light 1/5 scalers

can someone make a list like that but with the respective nitro motors?
then once we have a guide/base line then we compare a bit more fairly

wonder how the nitro rustler compares to a VXL rustler????
and same with the slash????
Lets not do that lol, no matter the results it will get this thread locked in no time.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:48 AM
phmaximus

Exactly, standing ovation! lol. I don't care how many more positives you think there are with one you just can't say it's better, some of the reasons you like ''insert power source of choice here'' better might be reasons I don't like it. The ''best'' is very much an opinion not a fact. Why do some people like hotrods better than tuners? I mean they're faster, quieter, more fuel efficient, why not? Are they better? That's an opinion. What's better, chocolate or vanilla? I like vanilla because it doesnt make you thirsty like chocolate does so it's better, Wait a minute.....what's that called? Oh yeah[X(] an opinion not a fact.
are u saying u cant compare anything to anything because its just oppinion? i begg to differ.... oh boy

thats why I like comparing Facts to facts to work out whats better. peoples oppinoins have no bearing on things like runtimes and power and the other 27 points i mentioned

we are only comparing powerplants not vehicle styles or confectonary

its very easy to work out whats better, get all the facts together not oppinions, and work out the good and bad points, assign a positive number to the good points and a negitave number to the bad points, then simply add them up, what ever has the higher number wins

all we need is some categories

these 4 would be a great start

power
runtime
noise
maintance

thats how they work out car of the year for real cars. trust me its got nothing to do with oppinions all pure fact
in fact that how "insert word here" of the year is calculated.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 AM
phmaximus

ok ill make a breif one based on facts

ezrun 35a, 3900kv motor, 55000mah 2s lipo VS OS 12TG VII(P)

power

Nitro 9..... brushless 10

ive tested that brushless combo with a watt meter to 0.74hp the OS 12 is 0.7hp

runtime

nitro 7..... brushless 10

nitro delivers almost 8 minutes of run time per tank. that exact combo is good for 12 min

noise

nirto 1..... brushless 9
do i have to explaine this one really? might have to get a sound meter to make it a fact

maintance

nitro 5..... brushless 9
im just guessing, but wouldent be hard to work out a way to score this from fact

grand total

nitro 22
brushless 38

winner is brushless.....

this is just an idea, it wouldent be hard implement something more relistic with more explination on how i concluded the score for each round
Old 02-26-2013, 07:59 AM
t-max97

Exactly, standing ovation! lol. I don't care how many more positives you think there are with one you just can't say it's better, some of the reasons you like ''insert power source of choice here'' better might be reasons I don't like it. The ''best'' is very much an opinion not a fact. Why do some people like hotrods better than tuners? I mean they're faster, quieter, more fuel efficient, why not? Are they better? That's an opinion. What's better, chocolate or vanilla? I like vanilla because it doesnt make you thirsty like chocolate does so it's better, Wait a minute.....what's that called? Oh yeah[X(] an opinion not a fact.
are u saying u cant compare anything to anything because its just oppinion? i begg to differ.... oh boy

thats why I like comparing Facts to facts to work out whats better. peoples oppinoins have no bearing on things like runtimes and power and the other 27 points i mentioned

we are only comparing powerplants not vehicle styles or confectonary

its very easy to work out whats better, get all the facts together not oppinions, and work out the good and bad points, assign a positive number to the good points and a negitave number to the bad points, then simply add them up, what ever has the higher number wins

all we need is some categories

these 4 would be a great start

power
runtime
noise
maintance

thats how they work out car of the year for real cars. trust me its got nothing to do with oppinions all pure fact
in fact that how ''insert word here'' of the year is calculated.
Those would not be a good place to start Power-yes typically with comparable setups with a big battery electric are faster but if both are race spec then it's pretty close, runtime- electric you always have to have a battery charged and when they're dead your done, with nitro you fill and go,which is better? that's an opinion, Noise- again very much an opinion, I personally like the noise but you may not, that's why it's an opinion. Maintenance- some enjoy tinkering some don't, both require it but nitro typically more, which is better? Again an opinion. You can't say one is better than the other, keep in mind I'm not a "nitro guy" I have more electrics than nitro.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:05 AM
t-max97

ok ill make a breif one based on OPINIONS

power

runtime

nitro delivers almost 8 minutes of run time per tank. that exact combo is good for 12 min

noise

nirto 1..... brushless 9
do i have to explaine this one really? might have to get a sound meter to make it a fact

maintance

nitro 5..... brushless 9
im just guessing, but wouldent be hard to work out a way to score this from fact

grand total

nitro 22
brushless 38

winner is brushless.....

this is just an idea, it wouldent be hard implement something more relistic with more explination on how i concluded the score for each round

Power- nitro-9 electric-10

Runtime- electric you run out of batteries your done- 5 nitro fill and go-8

Noise- electric is quiet-1 nitro is loud-10

Maintenance- electric-8 nitro-6

Nitro 33 electric 24 Wooo nitro is better!!! Not
Old 02-26-2013, 08:19 AM
phmaximus

im 100% sure nitros are at a sound level that will damage ur hearing, doesent matter on preferance, after prolonged use it will effect it.
so it would score badly because of that. see im not talking about the noise they make its the volume

umm ur forgetting something, yes when the battery in a electric car is flat the car is dead..... exactly the same with a nitro car, pluss its not just a flat battery that can top a nitro car its the nitro it self. I know for a fact there is no reciever pack that is reccomended to charged over 1c so thats what 1.2-1.5 hours to charge the reviever pack? The best u will get would be 1.2 hours but thats with a really good battery at 20% Efficiency Loss, 1.4h 30% & 1.5 for 40%. U can get some lipos that charge at 5c thats 5 times faster than the reciever pack takes to charge. and for the poor guys stuck using AA batteries, u could charge a lipos at 5c and it would be done before then can go buy new AA batteries

here is another point for brushless refill costs
Electricity is expensive here tho its about 18c/kw,h

The supply was 244.6v @ 50htz
Im using a 30a Power Supply to Power 2x Imax B6 chargers, both where on but only one was charging.
I charged a 2s 7.4v 5500mah 30c lipo @ 5amps max
Mind u the battery charged to 6351mah but took its time to ballance, 104min normally its alot faster
Using a Efergy power meter It dident measure of its kw,h scale (000.0) but it did peak at 65 watts and droped to 16 watts neer the end of the charge

So lets use the peak value.
charging at 5amps for one hour consumes 0.065 kilowatt hours (65 W / 1000 W/kW) × 1.73333h (104min) = 0.11266645 kW,h.
0.11266645 kW·h × $0.18/kW,h = $0.020279961,
or two cents.

Keep in mind this is the max values. no way would it ever use that much power to charge. still a hell of a lot cheaper than nitro's

lastly it doesent matter if u enjoy tuning, constant un desired maintance is a bad thing, thats a fact

well any im off, its late here
Old 02-26-2013, 08:23 AM
phmaximus

power

runtime

noise

nirto 1..... brushless 9

maintance

nitro 5..... brushless 9

grand total

nitro 22
brushless 38

winner is brushless.....

dude if u are going to quote me DONT EDIT MY POSTS!!!!!!!
I dont care what u think or who u are im warning u dont edit my posts. sorry mate its my pet hate
do u seriously think a nitro will keep been driveable when the reciver battery is flat, or did u forget that one?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:33 AM
HerrSavage

"There are no facts, only interpretations".

And the childlike insistence on facts as the measure of all things is an intellectual weakness. Facts are always only a means to an end, and not an end in themselves. That car A is faster than car B may be something that we could refer to as a "fact". That it is objectively better on that basis is far from it. Now you are making a value judgement, and as such you could just as well be singing the praises of basket weaving.

Is a flashlight better than a brushless RC because the light from it reaches a wall faster? OK, who wants to race my flashlight?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:45 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw that new post about nitro being dead that got locked up immediately. I still don't get what the fight is. If you like nitro run it, electric then run it. One might be 'cleaner' than the other but each has its inherent pros and cons. I personally would be bored easily with electric since I don't race and I like the noise and tuning aspect of it. I like motors in general. If I had a garage I would buy an old carborated vehicle and fix it up. I don't mind oil and grease and like to get dirty. Oh and I would only quote someone warmly and accurately so I am not quoting anyone but myself. Mine is not to question why, mine is but to do or die. Semper Fi
Old 02-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Foxy

That thread was locked for two straightforward reasons: there are already numerous current and past threads on the subject, another is very active (this one) and the very first reply was exemplary of the kind of tone we DON'T want on these kinds of threads.

This thread has about 5 minutes to take a turn for the calmer, or its going the same way. We can all express ourselves without it getting personal. Extra effort please guys, 8 pages is as long as this kind of discussion has ever gone in my own memory, and its never been discussed more than it is lately. So let's try to get used to agreeing to disagree with each other, as we're going to be facing it again very soon.

Seriously, deep breath, group hug, we're all dedicated hobbyists who care for one another (repeat 3 times out loud at your screen)........ K, carry on.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:02 AM
t-max97

power

runtime

noise

nirto 1..... brushless 9

maintance

nitro 5..... brushless 9

grand total

nitro 22
brushless 38

winner is brushless.....

dude if u are going to quote me DONT EDIT MY POSTS!!!!!!!
I dont care what u think or who u are im warning u dont edit my posts. sorry mate its my pet hate
do u seriously think a nitro will keep been driveable when the reciver battery is flat, or did u forget that one?
One or two decent receiver packs will last all day. And you can use lipo receiver packs. The problem is, for some reason you think your opinions are facts and they aren't, and neither are mine but I'm not saying one is better than the other as you are.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:03 AM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: Foxy

That thread was locked for two straightforward reasons: there are already numerous current and past threads on the subject, another is very active (this one) and the very first reply was exemplary of the kind of tone we DON'T want on these kinds of threads.

This thread has about 5 minutes to take a turn for the calmer, or its going the same way. We can all express ourselves without it getting personal. Extra effort please guys, 8 pages is as long as this kind of discussion has ever gone in my own memory, and its never been discussed more than it is lately. So let's try to get used to agreeing to disagree with each other, as we're going to be facing it again very soon.

Seriously, deep breath, group hug, we're all dedicated hobbyists who care for one another (repeat 3 times out loud at your screen)........ K, carry on.
I was typing as you wrote that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.