Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

My jato 3.3 model 5509

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 AM
Clay2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My jato 3.3 model 5509

I was wondering if someone could help me with my Jato 3.3 that i got from a friend. He said he broke it in last summer & only ran 2 more tanks after that than put it in his closet where its been for a year up until 2 weeks ago.. I get the motor to turn over and kick in but, cant seem to get it to idle longer than a few seconds on its own. if i hold the Ez start wand down it fires up but, as soon as i release the Ez start button the motor dies.. i've tried replacing the glow plug, wire harness, and fuel line Set all setting back to factory but, still cant get it to idle for longer than a few seconds. i've even tried holding the ez start wand button down while holding the throttle wide open trying to get the engine semi warm to maybe idle on its own as its been sitting for a year but, nothing seems to work.

If anyone has any ideas i should try or things i should check please feel free to tell me.
Thanks Clay.

Jato 3.3 Model 5509.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:56 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: My jato 3.3 model 5509

Try setting the needles to factory and start again, If you cant find the factory settings, 2 1/2 turns out on the high speed and the low speed flush with the side of the carb should be a good place to start and then you can adjust as needed from there.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:25 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: t-max97

Try setting the needles to factory and start again, If you cant find the factory settings, 2 1/2 turns out on the high speed and the low speed flush with the side of the carb should be a good place to start and then you can adjust as needed from there.
While we are talking about setting needles, what do you think is a good setting for my macstar. 28? The instructions say 4 1/2 turns out but that has to be half turns because it rotates out of the cup when you do that and it just seems excessive and wont even start. And these are the instructions specifically for the engine, but thats gotta be wrong right??
this isn't on my hyper, its one that a guy put on my mgt when he toasted the Associated engine.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:53 AM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try replacing the fuel lines, after sitting for so long the nitro dries up but leaves the oil in the line,same with the needles,pull the needles out, inspect for gunk that may have dried on them, and reset to where they are flush with the carb body. I never follow manuf. settings as conditions vary widely(,but are used solely for reference), once it starts, leave the igniter on it ,and run it up,you'll know then if the hi-speed needle is rich as it'll be sluggish,spit fuel,etc, once hi-speed is set, then you can adjust lo-speed,but first,to set idle, be sure you set carb barrel open apprx.2mm, this should get you goin... with a new car that looks just that,new, i'll rebreak the engine in..... good luck MPB
Old 02-25-2013, 09:09 AM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: mopartybob

try replacing the fuel lines, after sitting for so long the nitro dries up but leaves the oil in the line,same with the needles,pull the needles out, inspect for gunk that may have dried on them, and reset to where they are flush with the carb body. I never follow manuf. settings as conditions vary widely(,but are used solely for reference), once it starts, leave the igniter on it ,and run it up,you'll know then if the hi-speed needle is rich as it'll be sluggish,spit fuel,etc, once hi-speed is set, then you can adjust lo-speed,but first,to set idle, be sure you set carb barrel open apprx.2mm, this should get you goin... with a new car that looks just that,new, i'll rebreak the engine in..... good luck MPB
He did replace the lines and now that I read it again he already set the needles to factory, you may have an air leak. Does it have fresh fuel?
Old 02-25-2013, 09:11 AM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: mattster1971

While we are talking about setting needles, what do you think is a good setting for my macstar. 28? The instructions say 4 1/2 turns out but that has to be half turns because it rotates out of the cup when you do that and it just seems excessive and wont even start. And these are the instructions specifically for the engine, but thats gotta be wrong right??
this isn't on my hyper, its one that a guy put on my mgt when he toasted the Associated engine.
That does seem excessive, I would lean it 1/4 of a turn until it started and then adjust as needed.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:45 AM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mopartybob

He did replace the lines and now that I read it again he already set the needles to factory, you may have an air leak. Does it have fresh fuel?
Thanks Tmax, i just read too fast...lol... it sounds like he's just burning the prime out of the engine, try opening the low speed needle more???
Old 02-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Clay2010

Thanks for all the post.. The more I think about it the more it makes since.. I'm gonna take the niddles out an clean as needed.. Any good cleaners I should use?
Old 02-25-2013, 02:21 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wd40 works a treat for cleaning
Old 02-25-2013, 06:47 PM
yatssdaa
Banned

Try setting the needles to factory and start again
Old 02-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Nick2618

I have the exact same issue trying to start my Jato right now. I think I am also going to clean up the carb and try again. This is a very annoying issue thou...
Old 02-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Clay2010

Okay update.. I clean all needles and carb & Now i get her to fire up but, shes wants to take off on her own, almost full ballooning the tires... and when i hit on the throttle Sometimes she dies immediately or she takes off and dies a few seconds later..  I'm thinkin its a Lean LSN but i'm not sure to be honest any ideas?
Old 02-28-2013, 04:41 AM
mattster1971

Wow, how about the idle screw? Is it in too far? Did you remove the idle screw too? Lean lsn too. Sounds like a combination of things. Obviously the engine is fully engaging the clutch so something is up too high. What's your idle gap look like inside the carb?
Old 02-28-2013, 04:52 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my experience with a wide variety of nitro engines, the 'factory settings' rarely allow the engine to start. It is usually the case that you need to wind in the high speed a good amount (often about 1 full turn) from factory setting, just to get them to fire.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Clay2010

I started from scatch last night and put everything tightend did HSN 2 3/4 turns, adjusted idle needle to about a .7mm gap and made the LSN flush and started from there. I've been messing with it a little and now i can get her to Idle without wanting to take off.. but, now when i try to do some speed runs to check temp and tune she dies when she gets into second gear or just before.. and when im sitting at idle and punch Full throttle she dies.. Any ideas?

PS: thanks for all the post.. i dont think i woulda got this far without all the help/ideas.
Thanks Clay
Old 02-28-2013, 05:34 PM
mattster1971

Sounds like it isn't getting enough fuel now. Try opening up the hsn 1/8 turn counter clockwise until it gets a bit more. Maybe open up the idle just a bit more and the do the pinch test on the line. If the car takes more than 3 seconds full to stop turn the lsn leaner(clockwise) just a smidge and try again. Do that until your getting 3 second pinch. You may have to adjust the idle as you adjust the lsn.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:58 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what I think is happening. You've leaned the top end enough that a rich low end is being cancelled out, however, at high rpm, its now too lean. Turn the low speed in half a turn and the high speed OUT a quarter.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Clay2010

Well sorry its been so long since I've replied back but, i took the ideas you all gave & Now i have it tuned to a " T "
Although now that i have it tuned i need some help with some other things. For some reason i cant seem to get the
rear end to stay down when taking turns. I've got RPM a arms all around with bumper i was just thinking maybe i need
to get some new shocks, springs & which Weight i should use? also what holes the shocks should be lined up in.

Thanks Clayton